Iris (poll)

See the results of this poll: Please choose your favorite:

Respondents: 117 (This poll is closed)

• Iris Jane : 47 (40%)
  • Iris Olivia: 70 (60%)

Bumping for more votes/thoughts. Does [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] sound trendy, to you? That’s one thing I worry about, due to the mega-popularity of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] right now. Trendy is the exact opposite of our naming style.

I voted for [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] for exactly the reasons you gave - simple and elegant combo. If you like the sound of [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] maybe there is another vowel sounding name that sounds good but isn’t so popular (I know at least five Olivias).

good luck!

I much prefer [name_f]Jane[/name_f] over [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] but I think [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] flows better. I don’t think it sounds trendy at all. Most people won’t know her middle name on an everyday basis unless you tell them. She’ll just be [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. So the popularity of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] doesn’t really become an issue. If you’re worried though maybe look at classic three to four syllable names. I think the fact that [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is more than two syllable makes it flow better in my mind. Best of luck!

I feel that putting [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] in the mn spot gives it a fresh feel. [name_f]Do[/name_f] not let the popularity deter you. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] J0yce does not flow the best even though [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is rather spunky. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] flows in such a lovely and youthful way!

I would combine the best of both worlds and go for [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]! You could still call her “[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]” or “[name_f]Olli[/name_f]/[name_f]Olive[/name_f]” for a nickname, and you get the great flow (and girly feeling) of [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. It’s both feminine AND strong, in the best of ways, I think. I’m still not sure about the [name_f]Jane[/name_f] J0yce part–it’s a bit stunted as far as flow goes–but [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is so gorgeous! I would love to see that. If not that, then [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] would get my vote. She’s really sweet.

I really like [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], but I second the suggestion of [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] haha.

Prefer [name_f]Jane[/name_f] over [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is simple but quite powerful combo, especially when said out loud. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] sounds very modern to me, and it is popular - but as you said, as a mn popularity shouldn’t be a problem.
Although I can tell about my personal experience - my mn is [name_f]Aleksandra[/name_f], and at the time when I was born it was in the top 10 where I lived and I know an awful lot of Alexandras. It was bothering me that I had such popular mn (as my first name was quite popular as well - maybe not as much as [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], but still). But whatever you choose it’s gonna be lovely. Those are not ‘out there’ names so you can’t be wrong with them :wink:

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is very pretty…but [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] J0yce…even [name_f]Iris[/name_f] J0yce is hard to say but add a J middle and it’s even tougher.

They are both lovely, but I love [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] just a tiny bit more. The streamlined simplicity and inherent elegance of the name makes it win for me (and I love long elaborate names).

No, i do not find [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] trendy. I like both but I prefer [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] with your one syllable J last name. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] J0yce is by no means terrible though–if you love it more, I say go for it! [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is sweet and spunky.

Ugh. I feel truly torn over these two! I guess that’s how you know it’s the real final two. I gravitate toward [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f], because my style is pretty classic and minimal, but I like the way [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] sounds with J0yce better. I may have to sleep on this for a while longer. We’ve considered SO many other middles, none that we love as much as these two.

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is charming. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] does sound better with your surname, but how often is someone referred to by their full name anyway? I prefer [name_f]Jane[/name_f], but you can’t go wrong with either.

I voted [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. It is a lovely pairing. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is just way way too popular for me, plus it really doesn’t feel that fresh (probably because I went to school with girls named [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]). [name_f]My[/name_f] only complaint is that both names are very short and something like [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] might flow better. I understand that you’re down to your final decision though. Good luck.

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is lovely, but I don’t think it sounds great with your surname. The two one-syllable names and the J alliteration just don’t make it flow very well. I wouldn’t be concerned about the popularity of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] since it’s in the middle spot, but you could try thinking up some other names that start and end with vowels to see if they would work?

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]

I loooove [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. It’s in my top for baby names. I’ve been obsessed with [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] (or [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f]) lately!

I voted for [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] – so beautiful!

Maybe another simpler middle name but that doesn’t start with a J like your last name, like [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]…?

Funny - these are all names we’ve considered. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] was actually #3 on the list, but it was very close with [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], for me, and I slightly prefer [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] is too r-heavy with [name_f]Iris[/name_f], for me. I love [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], but [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is kind of overused in our family already, and H thinks [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is hard to say. Like [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], but it sounds like “I feel ya, J0yce” to me. Haha. Like [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] more than these four, but thanks for the suggestions. :slight_smile:

I really love [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], but H can’t get on board with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. :frowning: Such a pretty combo, though I guess I’d still have that j-sound issue.

I just don’t think one- or two-syllable middles are ideal with [name_f]Iris[/name_f] + J0yce, so if we don’t use [name_f]Jane[/name_f], we’ll definitely go with a longer middle. I am really drawn to short names, so I think that’s part of why it’s been so tough to choose a mn.