Is Alasdair acceptable even if you’re not living in Scotland

[name_m]Hi[/name_m],

I posted previously on here about choosing a name for our son. In my old thread we were deciding out of [name_m]Roger[/name_m] and [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]. I’m pretty certain we’ve decided on [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]!

Now I’d love to get some feedback please on the name [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m], the original Scottish form of [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] (my grandfather’s name was [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and I’d love to honour him). Although I like the [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] spelling, it’s occurred to me that I really want to pronounce this name with the ‘air’ sound on the last syllable. Unfortunately, (for my personal tastes) [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] will very likely be pronounced with the ‘uh’ sound at the end. I’m not saying I don’t like this - I’m just saying that I’d prefer to have the ‘air’ sound at the end.

So this has got me wondering about [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] :thinking: [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it would be ridiculous on a boy who isn’t living in [name_f]Scotland[/name_f]? I’m worried that if we were to choose this name that he’d constantly get asked if he’s Scottish and although we do have Scottish roots, they are pretty far back on my husband’s side only.

I’d really appreciate all of your feedback and help with this one! Thank you again. You’ve all been so helpful and I really appreciate your honesty :hugs:

I love [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m]! And I definitely think it will work outside of [name_f]Scotland[/name_f]. It’s a fairly phonetic spelling, so I don’t think you’ll have a problem there. And the name is so unfamiliar outside of [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] that some people might not even realize it’s Scottish. (At least, in the US that would probably be the case. I can’t speak for the UK.) Overall, it’s a great choice! I have always preferred [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] to [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] myself. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh, thank you so much! [name_m]Reading[/name_m] this has made me smile :smile: Maybe most people wouldn’t even realise it’s a Scottish name so the questions regarding our background mightn’t be such a major issue after all! I’m with you - I adore the spelling and phonetic pronunciation of this name and especially love how when it’s written it looks like the closest to the original classic [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] out of all of the variations x

2 Likes

It is definitely my favorite of the [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] family! :slight_smile:

This is so very reassuring to hear you say that, thank you! I’m just wondering if I’m brave enough to actually use it. [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] and [name_m]Alastair[/name_m] are definitely used more often than [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] so its obscurity (here in Australia) does leave me a little worried tbh :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I love both spellings so it would be hard for me to decide too. I think I slightly prefer [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m]. I’m in the US and here you’d have to spell it out either way so it really wouldn’t matter. :joy: If I remember correctly his brother is [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]? I kind of like that [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] shares the “d” in the name. :blush:
As far as not being Scottish goes, Scottish and Irish names are pretty popular here for everyone so I don’t think most people would think much of it. I’m sure it’s similar in Australia. Isn’t [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] fairly popular there? [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] is such a beautiful name!

Wow - thank you! You have an excellent memory; his brother is called [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] :blush: And now you’ve pointed it out the fact they’d both have a ‘d’ in their name would be a lovely little connection. You’re right about the popularity of [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] here! I know three little Lachlans aged under 5 and I honestly didn’t even think of the cultural history of the name so that is a fantastic point! Thank you for backing [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] :grinning:

1 Like

I remembered because I thought [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]/Alasdair was such a fabulous pair! :blush:

1 Like

Thank you! [name_m]How[/name_m] lovely of you to say :kissing_heart:

1 Like

I think [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] has a cool sound and seems more approachable than [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]. It also has some good nicknames, such as [name_f]Dair[/name_f], [name_u]Ali[/name_u], etc.

1 Like

Thank you for this! I also like the nickname [name_f]Dair[/name_f] :heart_eyes: I think a little boy would love to be known as [name_f]Dair[/name_f] by all his mates :+1:t3:

I don’t think it’s ridiculous at all and it’s a beautiful way to honor your dad! Scottish and Irish names are on the rise (I just had a family friend name their daughter [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f]) so I think think it will stand out at all. Plus it’s relatively an easy name to pronounce. Congrats on your son btw! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you mind me asking - is your friend of Irish heritage? Or did they just like the name [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f]? (which is gorgeous btw!!)

1 Like

Of course! [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] is a lovely variant of the name, it gets you the pronunciation you want, plus, how awesome would “Dare” be as a nickname??

Thanks for those positive words! I’ve got to admit, I’m loving it more and more now that you’re all mentioning how wonderful it is :blush:And of course it’s also helping A LOT that you’ve all said it’s fine to use outside of [name_f]Scotland[/name_f]. Yay!!!

1 Like

I love [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m]! It’s fantastic, rugged and full of flair. It’s not overly complicated and while it’s not the most familiar form, it’s not difficult or outlandish

1 Like

I don’t see why [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] wouldn’t also be pronounced with the ‘air’ sound, but [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] is great too! I know loads of Niamhs who aren’t Irish and no one questions it, so [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] should work just fine.

Love [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m].

2 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there :blush: That’s so true about the name [name_f]Niamh[/name_f]! Come to think of it, there would be a lot of names with Scottish roots that are being used in countries other than [name_f]Scotland[/name_f]. Phew!!

Most pronunciations of [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] lean toward ‘[name_m]Al[/name_m]-is-tuh’ rather than [name_m]Al[/name_m]-is-tair’. I know! You’d think it would be pronounced with the ‘air’ sound at the end, given that’s how it’s spelt. This is what worries me most about the [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] spelling - potential confusion with pronunciation :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Thank you!! :pray:t2: