Is Angus "Gus" destined for a life of ridicule?

I’m having 11-th hour doubts about baby [name_m]Angus[/name_m]’ name.
DH and I fell in love with this name a year and a half ago, when I discovered it on NB. We loved its meaning “one, unique strength,” its history (name of the Celtic God of youth and beauty), the fact that it shares Shakespearean ties with my own name, and howit flows with DH’s Scotts/Irish last name. The name felt strong and interesting to us.
We made [name_m]Travis[/name_m]’ name public as soon as it was chosen. The reaction was mixed but generally positive.
But DH insisted we keep the name a secret until the baby’s birth this time. I feel like keeping this name a secret is building up the tension, expectation, and pressure on me to choose a generally pleasing name. I am so scared everyone (including our son!) will hate it!
I have posted in other internet forums, and the general consensus is that 1) kids will call him anus and 2) people can’t get over the beef association.
I have tried mentioning my new concerns to DH and he sort of brushes me off. He is decided. He wants this name. I feel stressed, nervous, and overwhelmed. Help!
PS Please don’t suggest [name_u]August[/name_u]. It’s NMS and I detest the potential nickname [name_m]Augie[/name_m].

My honest opinion is [name_m]Angus[/name_m] falls into the category with names like [name_f]Bertha[/name_f] or [name_m]Hubert[/name_m]- where they are just not useable as they’re seen as too grumpy and old. [name_m]Add[/name_m] in [name_m]Angus[/name_m] beef- and that’s a double whammy. While I really like [name_u]Gus[/name_u]- I really don’t think I personally could pull the trigger on [name_m]Angus[/name_m]. With that said- I’m sure there are many name berries who disagree with me- just giving me two cents since asked for honest opinions :slight_smile:

Honestly, I am personally not fond of [name_m]Angus[/name_m] or [name_u]Gus[/name_u]. This is just my personal opinion. I have never heard of anyone get made fun of because of their name. My best friend’s son has an [name_m]Angus[/name_m] (goes by [name_m]Angus[/name_m]) on his hockey team. There has never been any issues that I know of.

Adding -

I just asked my son. He stated he has heard some people call him hamburger (this is on Xbox). I will call my friend and specifically ask her.

Adding -

My friend says that he has been poked fun of over the name and mooed at. Mainly the kids doing this are hockey players.

I personally don’t like the name and agree with timelessclassics…I can see the kid getting teased. And honestly the most common nickname for [name_u]August[/name_u] is [name_u]Gus[/name_u] not [name_m]Augie[/name_m]. I don’t like either nickname but I do like the full name xD

But if it’s a name you both love, I’d say go for it. There’s a lot of names much much worse than [name_m]Angus[/name_m]! And if he almost 100% of the time goes by [name_u]Gus[/name_u] then he might not get teased at all.

I actually love [name_m]Angus[/name_m] and find it terribly underused. The spunky nickname [name_u]Gus[/name_u] will keep him from having to go by [name_m]Angus[/name_m] if he doesn’t want to. And, of course, he might get teased for [name_m]Angus[/name_m] beef. But nearly every name has either a poor association to someone and/or a terrible nickname potential. If you named him something really common like [name_m]John[/name_m], he’d get teased for being a toilet, or “Dear [name_m]John[/name_m]” or [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_f]Doe[/name_f] or something dumb. Kids are awful for a few years and then they get over it. Your family might give you the side-eye at first, but the more they love little [name_u]Gus[/name_u], the more they will forget any doubts they had. I say go for it, and it sounds great with [name_m]Travis[/name_m]!

I’m not a fan of [name_m]Angus[/name_m], like, at all. Sorry! I don’t like the nickname [name_u]Gus[/name_u] (I think of the mouse in [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f]), and all I can think about with [name_m]Angus[/name_m] is the beef or the word “angry”. This name clearly means a lot to your family though. Maybe, if you still have doubts, you could swap his first and middle name? [name_m]Loudon[/name_m] [name_m]Angus[/name_m]? You could still call him [name_u]Gus[/name_u] or [name_m]Angus[/name_m], but [name_m]Angus[/name_m] wouldn’t be front and center on the playground.

Though NMS, I do find [name_m]Angus[/name_m] to be a strong and timeless name. It has a lot of character, and I honestly don’t see why the beef association is that bad? It could be much worse… I wouldn’t worry about anus either; most kids don’t even know the word (well, at least where I live), and hopefully he’ll just laugh it off if somebody mentions it to him in HS. Try to think of the reasons why you fell in love with the name in the first place.

P.S. I also love the nn Ang for [name_m]Angus[/name_m]! [name_m]Just[/name_m] throwing it out there.

I actually really love [name_m]Angus[/name_m]. I didn’t even think of [name_m]Angus[/name_m] beef until it was mentioned. Somethings to remember: 1) If kids want to tease you for your name, they will find any way to do so. It doesn’t matter what your name is, there’s a bad word or phrase that rhymes with it. 2) Kids are being named all sorts of things these days. [name_m]Angus[/name_m] will most likely be in a class of equally named children. Someone made a comment several months ago in response to one of my comments and it really stuck with me, that she had a son or nephew who was going to school with kids named things like [name_m]Xavier[/name_m]-[name_m]Bruno[/name_m]. The gist of it is that “weird” or unpopular names are now becoming popular.

I for one absolutely [name_f]ADORE[/name_f] [name_u]Gus[/name_u], so I say go for it. You have to remember that within a few months no matter what you name your little boy, your family wouldn’t imagine him being called anything else!

[name_m]Angus[/name_m] is not particularly my style but it makes me sad to think how a name so well suited to you and your family might not actually be used. I think that if you love it then you should without a doubt use it, I feel as if kids these days are so accepting of unusual names, and [name_m]Angus[/name_m] isn’t even weird or unheard of. Kids get teased regardless of their names, it’s just the way things are, so I wouldn’t worry. When I first heard [name_m]Angus[/name_m] I didn’t once think of the associations you suggested, I think it’s a good, strong name, and the nickname [name_u]Gus[/name_u] is so cute. I would definitely use it if I were you.

First, I like the name. It’s one that I briefly considered myself, though I found options I liked better. I think it has a great feel, not overly used but not so obscure that no one will be able to pronounce it and a lovely meaning. [name_f]Do[/name_f] I think everyone will like it and it will be completely safe from his peers in middle school? I can’t honestly say I do. But do I think the risks outweigh the positives? In your case, I don’t feel that way either. You fell in love with the name, you love it’s nickname, it’s meaning, the way it flows with his last name. [name_u]Gus[/name_u] is super sweet and definately usuable even as he ages. I would step back and breath. Bringing a new life in the world is hard! I would be honest with your husband about your reservations and then relax as much as possible. When the baby comes and you look at him, try giving him the name. I think it will fit and you will love it. If not, realize you have a few days to finalize what you name him.

P.s. If keeping it secret is becoming a burden, let it go. Tell people you are close to about it. Husband can surely understand it’s more imporant you are happy then that you keep it secret.

I absolutely [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_m]Angus[/name_m]! It has, just as you see in it, history, and is strong and interesting. I know an [name_m]Angus[/name_m] and no one teases him. I think family history when I hear his name, and how lovely that your son will have a Scottish/Irish surname to ground it. [name_u]Gus[/name_u] is a nice nn and he can choose either name when he is older. I say go for it!

I am also in your husband’s camp about keeping the name to yourselves until the little guy arrives because it doesn’t matter what name you choose, everyone has their favourites, and either show joy or disappointment. I say, make your choice based on what you and DH love, and when they get to know [name_m]Angus[/name_m], they will associate it with him and like it. I think sharing your choice beforehand only adds to your stress.

I think of the [name_m]Angus[/name_m] cow more than beef per say, but I don’t see why it’s a bad association. People tease Grahams with [name_m]Graham[/name_m] cracker and the ones I’ve met haven’t seemed to care that people did it to them when they were children. There are also other food names like [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_u]Pepper[/name_u], [name_u]Sage[/name_u], [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], etc. I can see where anus would come in if you take out the g, but I don’t honestly think it would come to that. In the film, “[name_m]Angus[/name_m]”, the main character is being bullied an in the end he stands his ground and gets the girl, so you can always show him that :slight_smile:

[name_u]Gus[/name_u] reminds me of the theatre cat from “CATS”, but his full name was Asparagus :stuck_out_tongue: I think it’s cute. If you and your husband love the name, don’t try to worry yourself out of it. There are many names that could be used to tease people.

I can offer you a real world example that might help -

I taught an [name_m]Angus[/name_m] for three years (Grades 7, 8 and 9) and had never heard an incident of teasing. He wore the name well and was a well-liked boy. It’s a strong, handsome name that suits a mischievous child just as well as a grown man.

From a teacher’s perspective, if you love it, then go for it. The variety and diversity in today’s classroom has made students a lot more appreciative of, and less focused on, differences.

While [name_m]Angus[/name_m] isn’t really my style, I think it’s a cool name and I adore [name_u]Gus[/name_u]. I think it’s one of those warm and fuzzy, likeable, friendly names that is totally a crowd pleaser! I grew up with a [name_u]Gus[/name_u] and remember being surprised when I learned that it was short for [name_u]August[/name_u], and I didn’t even find that out until middle school. If you love the name, I say go for it. The full name may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but a great nickname will definitely soften the blow if they are super surprised. I love [name_m]Travis[/name_m] and [name_u]Gus[/name_u] together!

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_m]Angus[/name_m]. I’m sure any teasing would stop in the second half of high school or so anyway. My sister got teased for her name but it pretty much stopped at age six, lol.

No, I think [name_m]Angus[/name_m] is a very cool name, and [name_u]Gus[/name_u] is a friendly nicknames. It reminds me of [name_m]Angus[/name_m] [name_m]Young[/name_m], who is a great namesake, I guess.

I do like the name [name_m]Angus[/name_m] with the nn [name_u]Gus[/name_u]. However, where I love the [name_m]Angus[/name_m] beef association is way too strong as I live in a rural agricultural area.

I think that if you both love it, then go for it. If you end up calling him [name_u]Gus[/name_u] most of the time it eliminates the issue of [name_m]Angus[/name_m] beef association.

I love it, one of my favourite names. I love the nickname [name_u]Gus[/name_u] as well. I hunk it has a lovely handsome Scottish feel and I honestly don’t think it is open to teasing at all. [name_m]Angus[/name_m] beef really isn’t a large association

Please don’t second guess your choice of this handsome name!

I don’t think [name_m]Angus[/name_m] is destined for that at all. I really like the name and also the nickname: [name_u]Gus[/name_u]! Such a cute name! I think you should go right ahead. I speak from experience: [name_u]Gus[/name_u] is a wonderful name. If that’s his nickname, he should be wonderfully okay in school. [name_u]Gus[/name_u] sounds like a really cute boy. [name_m]Travis[/name_m] is an awesome name too, so just trust your instincts and give him something you like, not what the world likes. Again. [name_m]Angus[/name_m] is very sweet and I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_u]Gus[/name_u]. Go with [name_m]Angus[/name_m]!

[name_u]Gus[/name_u] is adorable. I went to school with an [name_m]Angus[/name_m] and don’t recall any teasing. And to be honest, if your child is destined to be teased at some point (and nearly all are!) it won’t matter what his name is, because kids are pretty great at being creative. And your family is going to love whatever you pick, given time. Once they know him they won’t be able to imagine him as anything else!
I think your thinking behind the name is lovely and I think it’s quite rare to have a name with some meaning behind it, so I really hope you aren’t put off by other people weighing in on your choice, because it really seems like a much bigger deal before he’s born, and they’re not going to care after. You still will.