Is Arabella Really So Bad??

Let me first say that although I’m not actually pregnant now, we’re thinking it over and so of course I’m thinking about names, name obsessive that I am. :slight_smile: So anyway, I recently stumbled across the name [name]Arabella[/name], after not even having known that the name existed. Some names have grown on me over time, but [name]Arabella[/name] was a name that I loved from the start. I thought about it all the time, even coming up with the perfect middle name. Ok, a few perfect middle names. But after a while, I realized that there might actually be more problems than virtues for my favorite name. :frowning:
The biggest issue: is [name]Arabella[/name] too precious? That’s basically what I heard every time I mentioned the name to someone. She could go by [name]Ari[/name] or [name]Bella[/name] and that would help, but those would not be the names someone saw when they looked at a resume, a class list etc. Would a girl named [name]Arabella[/name] be respected in the work force? Would she eventually hate me for giving her such a “frilly” name?
I would really appreciate your thoughts on the pros and cons of [name]Arabella[/name].

– [name]Viv[/name]

I see what you mean. It is a pretty name, and comes complete with adorable, spunky nicknames. But would an adult applying for a job be taken seriously if all they saw was the name written down? I wouldn’t think that [name]Arabella[/name] would have any different impressions that [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Gabriella[/name], etc. Maybe just because she’s less common than her sisters [name]Isabella[/name] and [name]Gabriella[/name], she comes off as more frilly? To me [name]Arabella[/name] sounds more like a Disney princess than [name]Isabella[/name] and [name]Gabriella[/name] do, or I’ve known real life Isabellas and Gabriellas so I associate those names with real people instead of animated royalty?? I’m not sure what I think so I’m probably not very helpful.

I don’t think [name]Arabella[/name] is too “precious” at all! Of course, I’ve also got amazing connections with [name]Arabella[/name]. One of my very best friends (she lives in Australia) is named [name]Arabella[/name]. She loves her name.
I imagine [name]Arabella[/name] as spunky, bright, energetic, witty, sporty and very, very kind (none of these attributes resemble “precious” save kind:)
I think that you love it, you should totally go for it. It’s a beautiful name (in my humble opinion :wink:

I think that [name]Arabella[/name] is beautiful, and to me, it’s no different (in terms of frilliness) than names like [name]Isabella[/name] (the #2 name in the the US), [name]Annabelle[/name], [name]Mirabelle[/name], [name]Gabriella[/name] (also super popular), etc.

[name]Jackie[/name] [name]Kennedy[/name] and JFK actually used the elegant [name]Arabella[/name] on their first daughter, a baby who was unfortunately stillborn. :frowning: [name]Jackie[/name] [name]Kennedy[/name] was the epitome of elegance to me, so her use of the name speaks volumes to me.

[name]Annabelle[/name] is one of my favorite names in the world, and I wouldn’t hesititate to use it on a future daughter (unless it continues to increase in popularity, so I’ll have to see). I personally view -belle names (and [name]Arabella[/name]) as being feminine, sophisticated, and elegant, and can picture them on doctors, lawyers, architects, and anything professional under the sun.

I personally love [name]Belle[/name]/[name]Bella[/name] names (although [name]Isabella[/name] is too overused for me), and don’t find them the slightest bit unprofessional. I’m sure that some people may find them too frilly for their taste, but I’m not in that camp. :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

To me, the name is no more frilly than [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Gabriella[/name], or any of the other -ella names. In fact, I think its classic, yet interestingly unique, sound sets it apart from those names, and it offers nice nicknames like those you listed. The name means “beautiful lion,” a meaning I think combines its elegance and femininity with a certain fierceness. I first heard the name when I read and watched [name]Ian[/name] [name]McEwan[/name]'s ‘Atonement’, in which [name]Bryony[/name], one of the characters, writes a play entitled “The Trials of [name]Arabella[/name].” I instantly fell in love with the name! I would pair it with more of a classic, plain middle name. For instance, a pairing I have been mulling over is [name]Arabella[/name] [name]Jane[/name] - I like this, as I think it is still classic and beautiful, but [name]Jane[/name] sort of tones down the frill factor on [name]Arabella[/name]. In conclusion, I don’t think the name is too frilly - I’ve never met one to ask if it is, however - and I think it is comparable to the other -ella names, [name]Cecilia[/name], [name]Angelica[/name], [name]Angelina[/name], [name]Anastasia[/name], [name]Fiona[/name], and even [name]Sara[/name] in the feminine name department. I just like it better than all of those combined! Good luck deciding… :slight_smile:

I can’t reall think of any bad oint of Atrbell except the NN [name]Bella[/name] which I really hate, [name]Ari[/name] is really sweet. I think it’s a really lovely name.

I like [name]Arabella[/name], but I do think it has the feel of names like [name]Augusta[/name], [name]Priscilla[/name], [name]Victoria[/name], and [name]Georgiana[/name] … a little bit prim, a little bit upper crust … the sort of name you’d expect to hear on a wealthy, old maiden aunt. But these names are getting a new feel as they come back in style. The only thing I dislike about [name]Arabella[/name] is the nn “Airie”. It sounds like the nn for a really ditzy person, I suppose b/c of the term ‘airhead’. And I do think a girl with this name might be subject to teasing for this reason.

I love [name]Arabella[/name] and I wouldn’t worry about frilly names there are many and most of them are gorgeous and any women would be happy to own them imo.

I call [name]Arabella[/name] a fabulous name; what I mean by that is that someone with that name will be noticed immediately because this name has PRESENCE.

I think it would suit a very confident child and woman. I see a young girl with long hair and a pretty dress walking into a room and being introduced and she swirls around to show off her pretty dress and smiles beautifully, not too precocious, just right.

A woman with the name [name]Arabella[/name] has her corporate suit on and when she walks into the room all eyes are on her as she gives her presentation to the corporate world.

You do not overlook an [name]Arabella[/name].

PS [name]Jill[/name] I agree with your comment on [name]Jacqueline[/name] [name]Kennedy[/name] being the epitome of elegance, between her and [name]Grace[/name] [name]Kelly[/name] they have the field covered on elegance and grace and classiness.

[name]Arabella[/name] is one of my favorites. Especially if you anchor it with a middle name like [name]Jack[/name].

[name]JUST[/name] KIDDING!

I adore the name [name]Arabella[/name]! I think it’s amazing! If I have another baby after this one, [name]Arabella[/name] will most definetly be on my short list!

I don’t think that it’s to frilly. I think that it’s the perfect balance of frills and power for a little girl. When I think of an adult [name]Arabella[/name] I think of a lawyer, I don’t know why but I do. I picture a woman who is powerful but is still very stylish, elegant, and classy.

At one point with my older daughter [name]Arabella[/name] was on our list. The only thing bad about this name that someone suggested was that she might get called “air” head growing up. This person said that about every name that had the pronounciation “air” in it.

[name]Rollo[/name], I agree with you about [name]Jackie[/name] and [name]Grace[/name]! :slight_smile:

It’s a little too precious, but well done you for recognizing that.

[name]Arabella[/name]'s a lovely name! It fits in with the "[name]Ava[/name]"s of the world and is a little unique. Also, when I was about 13 my Grandma gave me [name]Georgette[/name] Heyer book called [name]Arabella[/name], and the heroine of that novel is the kind of person I think of whenever I hear that name. Spunky and beautiful, quirky and confident, kind and loving. And elegant! The book is a little cheesy, but the name is lovely!

[name]Jill[/name], you’re the greatest! :wink: When are you going to grace us with a sweet little baby that we can help you name!!?

Oh, and I love [name]Arabella[/name]. I don’t think it’s too precious and will work as a grown woman as well! Best of luck to you.

Thanks, [name]Carter[/name]. :slight_smile: You’re so sweet. I’ll hopefully be doing the marriage/baby thing within the next few years (the sooner the better, but I don’t want to scare off the new man) :-), and I can’t wait. :slight_smile: It’s all I think about! :slight_smile: Things didn’t exactly happen as I’d planned earlier on, and even though I’m getting a later start, I can’t complain, because I believe that everything happens for a reason. :slight_smile:

I hope that you and [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Frances[/name] is doing well! (I [name]LOVE[/name] her name!)

:slight_smile:

I do agree that it is frilly, but I also agree that it is no frillier than any of those other frilly names.

[name]Jill[/name]- I know it probably changes all the time, but as of today, what are your top boy and girl combos?

[name]Hi[/name] Smurphy. :slight_smile: My favorite names as of today? I’m not sure about the middles (except for two), but I love:

[name]Henry[/name] [name]Samuel[/name] [name]Charles[/name] (after my Grandpa and his siblings)
[name]Edward[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name] ([name]Edward[/name] is a family name) or [name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]Edward[/name] (after grandparents) or [name]James[/name]
[name]Leo[/name] [name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Miles[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name]

[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jane[/name] or [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] [name]Jane[/name] or [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Rose[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] or [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] or [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name] [name]Violet[/name] or [name]Blythe[/name]

If I give one baby two middles, any future babies would have two middles, too. :slight_smile:

I hope you’re doing well! :slight_smile:

I love:
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Samuel[/name] [name]Charles[/name]
[name]Edward[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charle[/name])

[name]Annabelle[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Rose[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Violet[/name]** ([name]Eloise[/name] has only recently made my list, but it is growing stronger on me everyday)
[name]Susannah[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]

Back to original poster:
I see [name]Arabella[/name] with:
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Anastasia[/name]
[name]Clarissa[/name]
[name]Corinna[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name]
[name]Josefina[/name]
[name]Larissa[/name]
[name]Liliana[/name]

[name]Arabella[/name] is a pretty name, its not my style but its pretty and as anyone else has said, its no more frilly than [name]Isabella[/name] or [name]Gabriela[/name], yet at the same time i think more people would be prone not take her seriously. for a reason i cannot explain. But the only real bummer part is the NN [name]Bella[/name], cause eventully it would fall into place and [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Gabriela[/name], [name]Maribella[/name], names similar with the “ella” ending all have the nn bella and are all ridiculously common. The nn [name]Bella[/name] was the reason i nixed [name]Isabella[/name] from mine and DH list because i didnt want my daughter to be one of 10 Bellas. But other then that and the odd sound for being an adult name i think its very pretty.