Is Norman too old fashioned for a little boy today?

Thinking of naming our son [name_m]Norman[/name_m] (fn). Is this too old fashioned?

I think [name_m]Norman[/name_m] is cute. There is a little old man who is one of my customers and he really made the name adorable. He was a guest speaker in one of my classes back in high school. So like 4 or 5 years ago. Awesome painter and he loves to travel to take pictures. He mostly goes by [name_m]Norm[/name_m] so you might want to make sure you like that nickname because [name_m]Norman[/name_m] gets shortened to [name_m]Norm[/name_m] often.

I just think of [name_m]Bates[/name_m] Motel and that guy is VERY creepy. I really like the name, and a TV show wouldnt stop me from a name I love. The same goes with [name_u]Dexter[/name_u]. I guess everyone thinks of it as the serial killer movie, but since I’ve never watched it, I think it’s an amazing name.

Yeah, I’m not a fan. Especially dislike [name_m]Norm[/name_m].

[name_m]Norman[/name_m] [name_m]Bates[/name_m]

I like old fashioned names and lately I’ve been loving the ones that aren’t even in style. I love the thought of [name_m]Norman[/name_m] on a little boy, and I think it ages well. Although I agree that if you don’t like the nickname [name_m]Norm[/name_m] it may not work out well. (Recent crushes of mine include [name_m]Harvey[/name_m], [name_m]Edgar[/name_m], [name_m]Harold[/name_m], [name_f]Beverly[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f])

I didn’t remember [name_m]Norman[/name_m] [name_m]Bates[/name_m] until someone mentioned it. I think [name_m]Norman[/name_m] was pretty common enough that while I think it is pretty old fashioned, I don’t think it’s a one character name.

For me personally, [name_m]Norman[/name_m] is not quite ready for a comeback.

I love [name_m]Norman[/name_m] and [name_m]Norm[/name_m]. Of course I also love [name_u]Stanley[/name_u] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], etc. :slight_smile:

I watch [name_m]Bates[/name_m] Motel, so [name_m]Norman[/name_m] is a no go for me. It’d be cute on a cat or a dog though.

Yes, sorry, I immediately think of [name_m]Norman[/name_m] [name_m]Bates[/name_m].

I’ve heard [name_m]Norm[/name_m] used for [name_m]Norman[/name_m] before too. I think of the painter [name_m]Norman[/name_m] [name_m]Rockwell[/name_m] and I for one am all for the idea of using old fashioned names and I always say even if a name has negative associations it won’t get better associations until someone is brave enough to use it again. I’d say go for it if it’s what you really like :slight_smile:

I like [name_m]Norman[/name_m]! And all old fashioned names eventually make a comeback. I usually don’t worry about how “dated” names are. I like [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], [name_f]Mildred[/name_f], [name_f]Nancy[/name_f], [name_m]Keith[/name_m]…

[name_m]Norman[/name_m] is very dated, but I rather see [name_m]Norman[/name_m] than another Slayden. I’m not a fan of the nickname [name_m]Norm[/name_m]. [name_u]Nori[/name_u]/Nory or [name_m]Manny[/name_m] would be cute and a bit more fresh.

Good idea. [name_u]Nori[/name_u] is different and much better than [name_m]Norm[/name_m]. [name_f]Glad[/name_f] I’ve never seen the movie people are referring to! I think of the historical link to the Normandy region of [name_f]France[/name_f] ( The vikings who settled there were called Normans). I’ve heard of people using “[name_u]North[/name_u]” as a nn for [name_m]Norman[/name_m] as well ( meaning of [name_m]Norman[/name_m] is “man from the north”)
Hum, we’ll have to think about it. It’s a family name. [name_m]Richard[/name_m] is also a contender.
[name_m]Norman[/name_m] (fn) [name_m]Richard[/name_m] (mn)

I kind of like it, but I do also think of [name_m]Norman[/name_m] [name_m]Bates[/name_m] and I’ve never even watched [name_m]Bates[/name_m] Motel or seen Psycho. I’ve always liked the nickname [name_m]Manny[/name_m] though, which would make a cute nickname for [name_m]Norman[/name_m]!

I think [name_m]Norman[/name_m] is a fine name and I’ve seen Psycho.

[name_f]Grace[/name_f]'s name-image philosophy is mine as well :).

[name_m]Norman[/name_m] is a family name for SO. It’s his dad’s name, SO’s sister is [name_f]Norma[/name_f], and he has a nephew (not [name_f]Norma[/name_f]'s son) named [name_m]Norman[/name_m]. Nephew [name_m]Norman[/name_m] is about 25. Since I’ve met him, [name_m]Norman[/name_m] has definitely become a name I can picture on a baby (even though he’s no baby).

I dislike the nickname [name_m]Norm[/name_m]. Nephew [name_m]Norman[/name_m] doesn’t go by any nicknames and even when he was growing up, he never got called anything but [name_m]Norman[/name_m]. I dislike the theory that all kids are called a short form of their name in school. That might be true for a lot of people but it definitely isn’t the case for every name.

I like the idea of [name_m]Norman[/name_m] (especially with [name_m]Richard[/name_m], very nice) on paper, but I am having trouble picturing it on a child.

I love lots of typically “old man” names, but this is one that I really don’t like.