Jinx?

For some reason I can’t even explain, my husband and I have both gotten it into our minds to name our child [name]Jinx[/name] if he/she is a girl (hopefully, we’ll figure that part out next week!). No one I’ve mentioned it to likes it, except for my 12 and 18 year olds. My husband doesn’t want to use it as a nickname for something else and I thought it was a superstitious good luck thing, but apparently most people see it as a bad luck thing.

I like it. I want to use it. But I’m interested in a wider set of opinions…meaning aside, do you like it? Would you feel any different if you knew the child was born on Friday the 13th?

Well, first problem is your kid will owe people coke’s his/her entire life. The sound is nice but the word as a human name is awful. I’d save it for a cat. I’m not superstitious at all, Friday the 13th is just another day on the calendar.

I like the sound and I think it’s cute, but if you do decide to use it, I’d keep it in the middle. Most people will probably make fun of it unfortunately. I actually do know a girl (her parent’s are very hippyish) whose middle name is [name]Jinx[/name]. I’m of the opinion that anything can go in the middle spot.

“[name]Jinx[/name], you owe me a soda!” would be all she’d ever hear. Everyone would think it was so clever of them. I’d get really tired of it after a while if my name was [name]Jinx[/name].

I totally agree with what everyone else already said. Also, there’s a Pokemon called [name]Jynx[/name] as well.

My first thought was, “Jinxy-cat, Jinxy-cat,” from Meet the Parents…

I personally wouldn’t use it in the first name spot.

The first thing that came to my mind was the [name]James[/name] [name]Bond[/name]/[name]Halle[/name] [name]Berry[/name] reference.

I knew a [name]Virginia[/name] whose nn was [name]Jinx[/name]. I personally wouldn’t use it as a formal fn but as a nn I think it would be fine.

[name]Lovely[/name] nickname, but I’d give a different ‘formal’ name as a fallback, particularly for adulthood - think about what judgements people may make when reading the name on a job application etc.

It’s a good name for a cat… I’d feel bad for a person named [name]Jinx[/name].

My nn is [name]Jinx[/name]…I always loved it as a nn, and there is also an interesting character nn’d [name]Jinx[/name] in the book The Dark Room by [name]Minette[/name] Walters, but it would not be a great fn. [name]Jinx[/name] in the book was nn’d [name]Jinx[/name] bc her initials were JINK… her name was [name]Jane[/name] [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Nicola[/name] [name]Kingsley[/name], which is a great name. Why don’t you name your daughter something like [name]Jean[/name] or [name]Jeanette[/name] or even [name]Jen[/name]/[name]Jennifer[/name]/[name]Genevieve[/name], and then [name]Jinx[/name] can come from that? Or like [name]Jane[/name] [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Nicola[/name], something that would have [name]JIN[/name] initials?

cute for a nickname or a pet, but strange as a full name. kind of reminds me of a batman villain or a wrestler or something. if i heard this name on a child i think i would assume it was a nickname.

It’s cute for a pet, but the meaning of the name isn’t a good one… wikipedia says it’s “a type of curse placed on a person that makes them prey to many minor misfortunes and other forms of bad luck”.

Meaning aside, I like it. It doesn’t seem any different to me than [name]Milo[/name], [name]Nico[/name], [name]Echo[/name], or [name]Felix[/name] does. But taking the meaning into consideration, (and I think for this particular name, the meaning should be a priority to consider) I don’t like it and I don’t think it’s usable, except for a pet. A jinx is a bad luck thing and I think it would be similar to naming a child Misery, or something similar.

Congratulations on your expected addition! I agree with other posters that I wouldn’t use [name]Jinx[/name] because of its meaning and usual connotations. However, I’m acquainted with a woman named [name]Patricia[/name] whose nickname is [name]Jinx[/name], and it seems to work for her; she owned an art gallery for years and even used the name [name]Jinx[/name] in her professional correspondence. I’m not well enough acquainted with her to know how she got the nickname or how much (if any) teasing she’s had to endure, but everyone around her seems to use the name seriously!

I honestly think it is kind of cruel. Your child will be a living breathing person with a personality and a dream. he or she is NOT a walking talking joke for others amusement. [name]Just[/name] because he/she will be born on friday the 13th is no excuse to further humiliate them by giving them a name that means they are a bad luck curse. You may see it as “good luck” but trust me. Others will NOT.
Names that would be better:

Boys
Meaning [name]Fortunate[/name]:
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Edmund[/name]

Girls
meaning [name]Fortunate[/name]:

[name]Kiaria[/name]

Meaning lucky:
[name]Felicia[/name]

hmmm… Am I the only one here that thinks [name]Jinx[/name] is an a great first name??? I don’t think that your kid will get made fun of as much as you think… There are sooo many “out there” names that what is my son [name]Pilot[/name] going to say to a [name]Jinx[/name]… really? And if there is going to be names being poked fun at anyone can take the brunt… Being an [name]Amanda[/name] among many other Amandas I got made fun of… “She’s A man… duh!” “[name]Amanda[/name] is A Panda”
So I wouldn’t worry about that.
As for the meaning… some super popular names don’t have the greatest meanings.
I think it is strong, edgy and cute all mixed into one.
[name]IMO[/name] I say if you like it and don’t care about the superstition or whatever else. [name]Do[/name] as you desire.
Congrats on your bb. :slight_smile:

I want to point out that while some popular names don’t have “the greatest meanings” such as [name]Cecilia[/name] which means blind, or [name]Mary[/name] which means bitter, most people aren’t going to take the time to look up a name to find out its meaning unless it is thier own name. [name]Jinx[/name], however is a WORD. A word that has a derogatory meaning that your child and other children will read in books, hear on tv, and use just to be cruel to one another. Would you name your child, Hex? Plague? Curse? Disaster? [name]Hazard[/name]? Misfortune? Trouble? Trial? Bane, Burden? Cancer? Evil? Kiss of Death? No? Because they are all synonyms of [name]Jinx[/name]. Look it up.

That’s the last I will say on this topic.

Hey, Hex is kinda cool!! reminds me of [name]Dex[/name]. and Misfortune used to be quite popular way back when…
I’m not saying that they should use it. I just don’t think they shouldn’t if they love it. :slight_smile:

[name]Jinx[/name] Faulkenburg. A famous personality in the 50’s. I like it!