John - a strong classic, but too boring?

I’ve always liked classic names, but not quite the mainstream, run-of-the-mill names. My name is very popular for my generation so it’s caused me to steer clear of really letting myself ever [name]LOVE[/name] or seriously considering using a very common name ([name]William[/name], [name]Benjamin[/name], [name]David[/name], [name]Thomas[/name], [name]Jacob[/name], etc.). However, I’m really starting to like [name]John[/name]. I find one-syllable boy names to be very masculine and strong. I love that about [name]John[/name]. And, surprisingly, I do like how it has so much history behind it. I’m just weary of it’s “commonness.” Is it still too popular? Too boring? Could it be time to bring it back and make it fresh again? Funny enough, I’m starting to feel the same way about [name]Mary[/name]. I would never use them as siblings, but they’re both really growing on me, especially [name]John[/name].

What are your thoughts about [name]John[/name]?

I don’t dislike it. I think the hardest part of it for me, is that I went to a Catholic school and knew a LOT of Johns. I really like the sound of it, just knew too many.

Great name! And I think its popularity has been down for the past 20 yrs, so I suspect he won’t know too many other in his age group.

I love the name [name]John[/name] though I prefer [name]Jon[/name]. I don’t think its its very popular anymore the youngest [name]John[/name] I know personally is in his twenties. I find it very strongnand handsome. I would use it if I could.

I just looked the name up on SSA and am shocked to see that it’s STILL really popular (#28 nationally; #39 in my state but [name]Jonathan[/name] is #28 in my state and I imagine they will be called [name]Jon[/name]). I have only come across one young [name]John[/name] (as in younger than 40). He was 4, but that was about 5 years ago. I thought it was so weird to meet a young [name]John[/name]! I’m getting bummed out because I’m REALLY liking this name but thinking about how miserable I was growing up sharing my name with so many other kids really makes me want to avoid doing the same thing to my children… :frowning:

[name]John[/name] is a wonderful, strong name! I think it is lovely. [name]Even[/name] if it is popular in reality you don’t meet all too many.
p.s. I adore [name]Mary[/name]!

I love [name]John[/name]! It’s such a handsome, strong name. I knew a baby [name]John[/name] about ten years ago, and it was so charming on such a little tyke.

And [name]Mary[/name]'s one of my utter favorites, especially [name]Mary[/name] [name]Rose[/name] as a double first.

I would find [name]John[/name] actually really refreshing on a baby. I know very few (if any) [name]John[/name]'s under the age of 18. [name]Johnny[/name] is a great nickname as well.

I think [name]John[/name] is a great name - strong, classic and not too popular with babies right now - perfect!
Also there are so many good [name]John[/name] role models, which is great.

~ some examples ~
[name]John[/name] F [name]Kennedy[/name]
[name]John[/name] [name]Wayne[/name]
[name]John[/name] [name]Lennon[/name]
[name]John[/name] D Rockefeller
[name]John[/name] [name]Walton[/name] (!):slight_smile:

I think [name]John[/name] is like [name]Jane[/name] - classic and suitable anywhere, anytime, at any age. And it can’t be misspelled very easily!
And you can always use [name]Jack[/name] or even [name]Johnnie[/name]/[name]Johnny[/name] as a nickname if preferred. I think I actually only know of one [name]John[/name] under 18.

Good luck!
Ps: I feel the same about [name]Mary[/name]! And I love [name]May[/name] as a nn for [name]Mary[/name] :slight_smile:

I don’t think I know any john under my age (late twenties). I really like jack as an occasional nickname but I don’t care for jack as a full name. I think john would be a great name to use. And the nn johnny is easy, natural, but also easy to transition out of of desired with age (unlike, for example, [name]Billy[/name] back to [name]William[/name]. My dad is still called billy from time to time!)

I never had a second son, but when it was still a possibility, I felt the same as you…loved the simple strength of the name, deplored the commonness. I never decided if I liked this idea, but I played with it: a hyphenated name. Girls receive them all the time, why not boys?

[name]John[/name]-[name]Michael[/name]
[name]John[/name]-[name]Luke[/name]
[name]John[/name]-[name]Abram[/name]
[name]John[/name]-[name]Ernest[/name]
[name]John[/name]-[name]Ross[/name]
[name]John[/name]-[name]Caden[/name]
[name]John[/name]-[name]Marcus[/name]

I’m not convinced that I like the idea myself, but I think it’s got potential.

it will always be classic but i just like trying to ‘spruce up’ the classics.

like for [name]John[/name] & [name]Mary[/name] i’d at least a take a step to [name]Jack[/name] & [name]Maria[/name]

other options: [name]Jean[/name], [name]Ivan[/name], [name]Ewan[/name], [name]Johannan[/name], [name]Jon[/name]
[name]Maria[/name], [name]Molly[/name], [name]Maudlin[/name], [name]Maura[/name], [name]Moira[/name], [name]Martha[/name]

Although I prefer out there names, there are a handful of “boring” names that I adore. [name_m]John[/name_m] is always a gorgeous choice

I think [name_m]John[/name_m] is pretty much the perfect boy name. I think it’s strong and masculine and that [name_m]Johnny[/name_m] is an adorable nickname. It can feel scrubbed clean 1950s & sweet, though it’s not dated to the 50’s. I went to school with a few Johns, I know Johns in their 30s & 40s too. I like that it isn’t trendy, I like that it isn’t fancy or stuffy yet it’s so classic. I like that it’s so neutral.

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] is nice too!

I love it! My boyfriend has a cousin with the name. It’s also the name of his (the cousin’s) father and the cousin’s son.

In a sea of [name_u]Aidan[/name_u]/[name_u]Jayden[/name_u]/[name_u]Kayden[/name_u]/[name_m]Grayson[/name_m]/[name_u]Mason[/name_u]'s, it’s refreshing to me. Also, even though it IS in the top 50, it doesn’t feel as popular as it used to since fewer children are born with the name than in the past.

[name_m]John[/name_m] would be extremely refreshing on a baby boy. I suspect the only reason that [name_m]John[/name_m] still ranks as high as it does is because it gets used as a first name per family tradition. Most Johns are probably going by [name_m]Jack[/name_m] or their middle name.

I love it. A really strong name x

I love it. It’s a timeless classic.

I like [name_m]John[/name_m]. I have only met a couple Johns before, and I’m not sure if they were just [name_m]John[/name_m] or Jonathans though. The only person that I know that is named [name_m]John[/name_m] is my cousin and he’s about thirty I think. I haven’t met any young ones yet. I like it. Its strong and established and not trendy. I would go for it.

I really like [name_m]John[/name_m] and there are plenty of benefits to a common names too - always spelled/pronounced correctly, no potential of playground teasing on its account, and a name like “[name_m]John[/name_m]” will travel well - he will be able to go nearly anywhere in the world, and there will likely be a variant of this name. You might consider giving him a more unique middle that he can use if he chooses as a teen/adult…my mother held the philosophy of one classic name and one more artistic/uncommon one. This definitely worked well for me (I have one of each) and I’m hoping to do this same with future children. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a thought…and if it resonates with you, you should definitely go with it :slight_smile: