Just got my class list!

I teach 3 yr olds at a day school. Here is my class list! (Actually a combination of 2 classes since I teach 2 different groups on different days.) Some of these may be nns b/c I don’t have the full list yet.

[name]Allyn[/name] (F) (twin to [name]Jax[/name])
[name]Annelise[/name]
[name]Avery[/name] (f)
Azlan (twin to [name]Isabella[/name])
[name]Cade[/name]
[name]Chandler[/name] (not sure)
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name] (twin to Azlan)
[name]Jax[/name] (twin to [name]Allyn[/name])
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Lainey[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Lincoln[/name]
[name]Logan[/name]
Lynley
[name]MIchael[/name]
[name]Peyton[/name] (not sure)
[name]Reese[/name] (F)
[name]William[/name] (x 5)!!!
[name]Xander[/name]
[name]Zachary[/name]

I noticed all those 'L’s right away. And the 5 [name]Williams[/name]!! This is going to be fun…

I love:

[name]Chandler[/name]
[name]Lainey[/name] (my cousin’s name, lol.)
[name]Lincoln[/name]
[name]Reese[/name] (especially on a girl)
[name]Lila[/name] (except it’s my dog’s name, so it’s ruined for me on actual people, lol)

Dislike Strongly:

[name]Avery[/name] (I know everyone seems to love this name, but I can’t stand it)
[name]Jax[/name] (come on…)
[name]Xander[/name] (trying too hard)
[name]Allyn[/name] (too close to [name]Allan[/name])

[name]Allyn[/name] and [name]Jax[/name]? Maybe they really like [name]Allen[/name] [name]Jackson[/name], haha.
I much prefer [name]Avery[/name] on a boy.
Hoping [name]Lainey[/name] is a nickname for something.
I adore [name]Julian[/name].
So tired of [name]Peyton[/name].
I really dislike [name]Reese[/name] on a girl.
I’m actually kind of surprised you have 5 [name]William[/name]'s. FIVE…and one [name]Isabella[/name].
Azlan? Sigh. Reminds me of Aslan, the male lion from [name]Narnia[/name].
[name]Xander[/name] would be good a nickname for [name]Alexander[/name] but I figure it’s not in this case.
[name]Lincoln[/name] is quite cool. I hope it fits him.
Praying [name]Chandler[/name] is a boy.

Soooo many L’s.
I wish I had a class list. The best I can do it an updated Play Group list.

Such an interesting mix of names!

I like a lot of them:
[name]Annelise[/name]
[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Chandler[/name] (for a boy)
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Lainey[/name] (as a nn)
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Lincoln[/name]
[name]Michael[/name]
[name]Reese[/name] (don’t love it for a girl, though)
[name]William[/name] (luckily it’s this that’s x5 and not [name]Jax[/name]! lol)
[name]Zachary[/name] (of course)

Not a fan of:
[name]Allyn[/name] - I think it’s the ‘y’ that bugs me. I don’t hate [name]Allen[/name] for a girl, but I strongly prefer [name]Ellen[/name].
Azlan - never heard of this name, but really don’t like it with [name]Isabella[/name].
[name]Cade[/name] - I used to love this, but it’s too similar to the whole [name]Caden[/name]/[name]Kaiden[/name]/[name]Kayden[/name]/[name]Aiden[/name]/[name]Jayden[/name] thing now, lol.
[name]Jax[/name] - what’s wrong with just plain old [name]Jack[/name]? And I don’t like this paired with [name]Allyn[/name].
[name]Logan[/name] - it’s fine on a boy, I guess. Is this [name]Logan[/name] a boy?
Lynley - eh, it seems really trendy, and the spelling bugs me. I guess it’s kind of cute for a kid, though.
[name]Peyton[/name] - never been a fan of it. I guess it’s okay for boys though.
[name]Xander[/name] - like the previous poster said, it seems like it’s trying too hard. It’s fine for a nickname for [name]Alexander[/name], though.

Good luck teaching all these kids! I can’t wait to find out what [name]Zach[/name]‘s classmates’ names are when he starts kindergarten next month.

[name]Just[/name] got a phone call that I will have a [name]Joaquin[/name], as well.

If any of these are nn’s I will let you know in a couple of days when I get the full list. And any really great mn’s!

I am assuming that [name]Allyn[/name] and [name]Jax[/name] are nns. I think they are born into a family that uses a lot of boys’ nns for girls, so maybe that is the case for [name]Allyn[/name]. We will see! I think Azlan’s parents may be of foreign descent, so perhaps it is a name from a culture I am not familiar with? I was actually not that surprised that I had a bunch of [name]Williams[/name]. [name]William[/name] is the go-to classic name around here. But 5! Argh, confusion!

All in all, I’m a little disappointed. Last year, I had some really fun ones-[name]Georgia[/name], [name]Norah[/name], [name]Emmie[/name]. I think [name]Lila[/name] is my favorite this year, but we actually have 3 [name]Lilas[/name] in our relatively small school, so I could tell this name was on the rise before other people started talking about it.

[name]Allyn[/name] (F) (twin to [name]Jax[/name]) - Maybe an unusual spelling for [name]Eileen[/name]?
[name]Annelise[/name] - pretty, but too pretty for my tastes
[name]Avery[/name] (f) - I like it, but I wouldn’t use it.
Azlan (twin to [name]Isabella[/name]) - Agree with the earlier poster that I think of Aslan from [name]Narnia[/name]. Not a bad thing to think of I guess.
[name]Cade[/name] - I know a 4 year old with this name. It is cute. Sort of an updated “[name]Wade[/name]”
[name]Chandler[/name] (not sure) - Boy or girl, this is a nice name. I do associate it with a boy more than a girl because I grew up with a boy named [name]Chandler[/name].
[name]Emma[/name] - A smidge too common for me, but a classic name.
[name]Isabella[/name] (twin to Azlan) - ditto to what I said about [name]Emma[/name]
[name]Jax[/name] (twin to [name]Allyn[/name]) - feels nicknamey, but he won’t be out of place as he gets older because of the nickname as a name trend.
[name]Julian[/name] - pretty name, but feels like a romance hero in a regency romance to me. That of course is not my problem not the namer’s.
[name]Lainey[/name] - cute name. Fits the nickname as a name trend
[name]Lila[/name] - automatically think of sweet valley twins/high. I’ve never been able to figure out how it is pronounced.
[name]Lincoln[/name] - I like it.
[name]Logan[/name] - classic name
Lynley - I grew up with a Lynlee. She had a gorgeous singing voice. I wouldn’t use this one myself, but it is pretty.
[name]MIchael[/name] - I like it. classic
[name]Peyton[/name] (not sure) - [name]Peyton[/name] [name]Manning[/name]… I suppose it could be a girl. I know a little girl [name]Peyton[/name].
[name]Reese[/name] (F) - [name]Reese[/name] Witherspoon is one of my favorite actresses. So I think of a pretty girl when I hear the name [name]Reese[/name].
[name]William[/name] (x 5)!!! - My nephew is [name]William[/name] [name]Hunter[/name]. We call him [name]Hunter[/name] so maybe some of these will go by their middle names.
[name]Xander[/name] - fits the nickname as a name trend.
[name]Zachary[/name] - classic

That’s a lot of Ls! When I visited my mother in laws preschool, of course I went and checked all the cubbies for names and I was overwhelmed by the amount of Ls! That’s when the two L names on my short list started to lose rank! And 5 [name]Williams[/name]? Five?? I know it’s one of the most popular classic names, but five of them? [name]Hope[/name] they all have a different nickname!

Whenever I go to a family members school or I get the kids’ I nanny for class lists for [name]Valentine[/name]'s [name]Day[/name] or Thank You cards, I go over the names. I found a [name]Kodiak[/name] the last time. [name]Kodiak[/name]? Seriously? No idea the gender. A good surprise was a [name]Keane[/name] [name]Hawthorne[/name] and an [name]Edwin[/name].

I just want to ask, [name]Lyndsay[/name], where you got your [name]James[/name] [name]Franco[/name] quote because I love him and think it’s hilarious.

Haha, [name]Alexandra[/name], isn’t it hilarious? He was/is a guest star on [name]General[/name] Hospital. He plays a total psychopath serial killer. He kidnaps a baby and brings it to his mom (he tells her he adopted it legally) and he had to drive from new york to Illinois to get the baby to her and she says “Oh [name]Bobby[/name], did you feed him?” and he says “I tried to. I bought him formula and everything, he kept crying…Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies… Or even pictures of babies”. And he says it so sincerely! It’s my new favorite quote of all time! Real babies really ARE more difficult than ideas of babies… And definitely more difficult than pictures of babies! I will see if I can find it on YouTube or something.

[name]Kodiak[/name]… I wonder why they named him that… I spotted a Stormii at [name]MIL[/name]'s school. Stormii? I mean, with two Is, really?

[name]Keane[/name] [name]Hawthorne[/name]? Really? I love that! [name]Keane[/name] is one of my secret loves! I don’t really like [name]Edwin[/name], but I used to have a crush on one when I was young, and he was kind of a jerk and turned out pert weird. My cousins stepson is also [name]Edwin[/name], it’s pretty common around here!

The kicker to all those ‘L’ names is that they are ALL in the same class. It’s going to be a tongue-twister around here! At least the [name]Williams[/name] are split up, but I have 3 of them in a class of 9. 1/3 of my class will be [name]William[/name]! Now y’all know why I always tell posters that [name]William[/name] is too common!

Update: Petyon and [name]Chandler[/name] are girls, but [name]Logan[/name] is a boy.
[name]Allyn[/name] is not short for anything, and neither is her brother’s name, [name]Jax[/name].
[name]Lainey[/name] is short for [name]Lorraine[/name]. [name]Love[/name] that!

Aslan (Azlan) is the Turkish word for lion, and it’s a fairly common Turkish surname.

One thing i dont understand, in the US, you can actually give the teachers the nickname? Like [name]Lainey[/name] and not [name]Lorraine[/name] or how does it work? I find it rather interesting.

Yeah, you can have the teachers call the kid by whatever they go by. So i would assume that [name]Lorraine[/name]'s parents call her [name]Lainey[/name] at home, so that’s what she’ll go by in school as well. I would also assume that the school always has the child’s full name on record, but what the child is called should be up to the parents/child. However, I have heard of teachers who insist on calling the kids by their full names (eg calling [name]Kate[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] when she normally only goes by [name]Kate[/name]).

[name]How[/name] does it work where you live?

Where I live we dont work with nicknames. I do have a nickname, my aunt and nieces and friends call be [name]Suzy[/name], but my teachers and parents call be [name]Suzanne[/name]. [name]Katherine[/name] would be [name]Katherine[/name], her name will be shortened to [name]Kate[/name] but not by teachers or bosses or coworkers. We also have nicknames because of some quality or or thing we did/do. My brothers nickname is H while his name is [name]Ronald[/name]. My parents did not intend that nickname in any way.

Here in school, [name]Lorraine[/name] would be [name]Lorraine[/name] but friends or family may occasionally call her [name]Lainey[/name] because the name is so long.

There is a place on the official record for the parents to put “what your child would like to be called.” So [name]Lorraine[/name] goes by ‘[name]Lainey[/name]’ and [name]Edwin[/name] [name]Arthur[/name] [name]William[/name] goes by ‘[name]William[/name].’

I knew he was on GH. The other females in my family are all about their Soaps, haha. I was tempted to watch it when I found out [name]James[/name] [name]Franco[/name] was going to be on it but I work during the day (though, my great grandmother vhs tapes, DVRs AND watches them, at the same time). I tried Googling it and came up with nothing but now that I know where it’s from, I’ll definitely try Youtube. Thanks!

Haha, maybe it’s Stor-MEEEEeeeee? Some people just really like their extra vowels (and sometimes vowels). I’m not too big on [name]Edwin[/name], either. I have a few in my family and it just seems like in the US, [name]Edwin[/name] is a country name but in the UK, it’s darling and elegant. However, I’d probably adore the name Poopoo if it were said by a British child. The only reason I’d even entertain the idea of [name]Edwin[/name] is because of [name]Narnia[/name]. I do like it more than [name]Edward[/name] but less than [name]Edison[/name].

There is a place on the official record for the parents to put “what your child would like to be called.” So [name]Lorraine[/name] goes by ‘[name]Lainey[/name]’ and [name]Edwin[/name] [name]Arthur[/name] [name]William[/name] goes by ‘[name]William[/name].’[/quote]

Oh, i think i know now (i have never seen a birthcertificate, i dont have kids or didnt have to give it to someone, or so)

In [name]Holland[/name] there is the same thing, my brother is actually [name]Antonius[/name] but the name my parents chose for him to say everyday is [name]Ronald[/name]. I understand now, i had the wrong idea in my head :slight_smile: It all makes sense now.

The only reason I’d even entertain the idea of Edwin is because of Narnia. I do like it more than Edward but less than Edison.

I think [name]Narnia[/name] has [name]Edmund[/name]. (So many “[name]Ed[/name]” names in the world!)

I agree with the rest of you about the names. 5 [name]Williams[/name] is surprising! Maybe one could be [name]Will[/name], another [name]Bill[/name], etc? I wonder whether 3yo’s would go for that. lol

It is [name]Edmund[/name]! Duh to myself. That’s the name I meant that I prefer, anyway. [name]Edwin[/name]…someone has this name in a movie or book. I wish I could remember.
There are many [name]Ed[/name]- names.

I’ve only met 3 [name]William[/name]'s in my lifetime and each went by something different and only one is a baby. The other two are a few years older than me. [name]Billy[/name], [name]Will[/name] and just [name]William[/name]. I never liked [name]Billy[/name] until I met the boy in highschool with it. Now it’s a little refreshing.