Just realized something, anyone else like this?

So last night my fiance’ helped me realize that the names I like are because I associate with them with characters I like. He pointed this out because lately I have been crushing on [name]Caroline[/name], which is the name of the one of the girls in 2 Broke Girls, my newest addiction. So I went through my favorites and he is right.

[name]Luna[/name] - [name]Luna[/name] Lovegood from [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]
[name]Flora[/name] - Sleeping Beauty, one of my favorite Disney movies and the earth fairy in Winx Club
[name]Euphemia[/name] - From the anime Code Geass
[name]Caroline[/name] - one of the girls in 2 Broke Girls
[name]Ezra[/name] - The handsome teacher from Pretty [name]Little[/name] Liars
[name]David[/name] - [name]David[/name] Tennant. aka The [name]Doctor[/name].
[name]Frederic[/name] - [name]Frederic[/name] Chopin, famous composer and one of my favorites.
[name]Madeline[/name] - I loved the show/book [name]Madeline[/name] as a kid
Bloom - name of a fairy in Winx Club
[name]Eugene[/name] - real name of [name]Flynn[/name] in Tangled, my favorite Disney movie
[name]Michelle[/name] - the English name for [name]Sailor[/name] [name]Neptune[/name] from [name]Sailor[/name] [name]Moon[/name], one of my favorite [name]Sailor[/name] Scouts from when I was little
[name]Juliet[/name] - [name]Romeo[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name], I love that play

[name]Everett[/name] is the only one we can’t figure out, but I feel like with the trend I have going it has to be from something! So if anyone might know, let me know! Also does a name of a character you like influence your tastes or am I the only one?

This totally explains why I’m all over the place. None of my names “fit” together and why it’s hard for me to find names I like just by searching.

This happens to me ALL the time! Im like ooooh I love that name…but half the time I just love the character or the person who plays the character. It also happens with people I know who inspire me, not sure if it’s like ‘yeah I want my baby to grow up to be like them so I’ll name my child after them’ or if I actually like the names

I’m pretty sure I like the names and probably because I’m just hearing it all the time from watching these shows… since I didn’t realize it till last night, lol! It was totally subconscious up until my fiance’ was like [name]Caroline[/name]? You told me you didn’t like [name]Caroline[/name]! (It’s one the names he liked that I said “meh” too, lol)

The only one I’m sure isn’t is [name]Frederic[/name] because I always loved Chopin, but I also like the sound and I would only use it as a middle.

Eugene I’m iffy on because it’s similar to my grandpa’s name (Gene), well middle, but it’s the name he goes by and I don’t want people to think I named my child after him… I just love the sound of Eugene.

Oh, definitely. I even tend to be partial to sound-alikes for favorite names/characters.

I forgot [name]Severus[/name]! From [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] of course :slight_smile: I’m pretty sure it has to be a combination of liking the name and the character because I love [name]Penny[/name] and [name]Bernadette[/name] from the Big Bang [name]Theory[/name], but not the names. I also love [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Chandler[/name] from Friends, but not the names.

Also I realized some of the names I like, but would never use, are because I used them in my own stories like:
[name]Wilhelmina[/name]
[name]Lotus[/name]
[name]Orchid[/name]
[name]Wilhelm[/name]
[name]Jerome[/name]

So far [name]Everett[/name] is the only one that denies my system…

No, not really. I have very few names I love due to characters.

Only one I can think of are from TVD:
[name]Alaric[/name], [name]Damon[/name], [name]Stefan[/name], [name]Caroline[/name].
And that’s mostly because hearing the names/seeing them made me see the beauty of it rather than like it because of the actual characters. I’d never really heard those names much before.

I think I do this mildly–it often makes me consider names that I’ve otherwise overlooked, or can make ordinary names seem fresh again somehow. And it seems to affect me a LOT more with shows/films than with books–must be hearing it aloud!

[name]Malcolm[/name] (Firefly)
[name]Fleur[/name] (Outcasts)
[name]Stefan[/name] (The Debt)
[name]Jesse[/name] (Breaking Bad)
[name]Mary[/name] (Downton [name]Abbey[/name])
[name]Cecelia[/name] (Atonement-- I’ve always liked it, but started to really crush after seeing the film years ago)
[name]Aaron[/name] ([name]Bourne[/name])
[name]Beau[/name] (Country Strong, ditto [name]Cecelia[/name])

Yes! This!

Yes! I just decided my second favorite boy name is [name]Matthew[/name] nn [name]Matty[/name], inspired from my new favorite show Awkward!

yes!
[name]Dexter[/name] - I really like it…partner can’t get past serial killer.
[name]Silas[/name] - I think I first heard it on Weeds…still love it.
I like a few names from Game of Thrones - [name]Arya[/name], [name]Theon[/name], [name]Bran[/name] (although I thought it was [name]Bram[/name] for the longest time and prefer it to [name]Bran[/name])…

Yes!! Sometimes a character hooks me into the name, and sometimes I read it or hear it somewhere, and love it. :slight_smile:

Some examples:

[name]Hugo[/name]: I read the book when I was little, and loved the name even more when the movie came out.
[name]Merida[/name]: I discovered it before the movie, but the movie made me love it even more, lol.
[name]Roux[/name]: CHOCOLAT!!!
[name]Vienne[/name]: hehe, ditto.
[name]Ingrid[/name]: Iwas watching the old show “Dr. [name]Quinn[/name], Medicine Woman.” (hehe) She was [name]Matthew[/name]'s fiance.

VERY GUILTY PLEASURE: [name]Colette[/name] from… Shaytards. :slight_smile: Does anyone else love them??

~[name]Jasmine[/name]

haha, I don’t think that really happened to me, no! But I can see why it would. I guess some of them are more round-about for me.

[name]Isabelle[/name] and [name]Arianne[/name] - a singer that I used to really love has two daughters, [name]Isabella[/name] and [name]Arianne[/name]. Possibly why I’m hesitant using them together, but my combos are really different, and I can’t imagine loving two names more. I realized I truly loved [name]Isabelle[/name] when I saw [name]Sydney[/name] and [name]Vaughn[/name] use it in Alias.

[name]Olivia[/name] - [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Dunham[/name] from Fringe. [name]Love[/name] that show! I love it even more for the Twelfth [name]Night[/name] association.

[name]Violet[/name] - erm, nothing I can think of! I loved that [name]Jennifer[/name] [name]Garner[/name] used it, and I love her in Alias, but no real other connections. Other than that purple is my favorite color. And my grandmother’s. ha.

[name]Rachel[/name] - she was always one of my favorite Bible characters, does that count? There’s also a [name]Rachel[/name] in Fringe.

[name]Liliana[/name] - No pop-culture associations with this. I fell in love with it when I met an ADORABLE [name]Liliana[/name], and it honors both grandmothers. And I love the whole [name]Lily[/name]-of-the-[name]Valley[/name] association to [name]Jesus[/name], and lily of the valley is my brother’s birth flower. Not sure he’d appreciate that connection, though, haha!

[name]Charlotte[/name] - I love the literary associations–[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Bronte[/name], and I know [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] had at least one [name]Charlotte[/name] in her stories… There’s also [name]Charlotte[/name] from LOST, although I didn’t [name]LOVE[/name] her character.

[name]Eleni[/name] - I don’t even know how I discovered this. Definitely not pop-culture related!

[name]Hannah[/name] - always loved her in the Bible, too.

[name]Eve[/name] - I remember watching a Disney movie with an [name]Eve[/name] that was this [name]Barbie[/name]-type doll that came to life. lol. I think I like the Biblical association more!

[name]Caleb[/name] - Definitely love the association to the Bible. Can’t think of a pop-culture icon.

[name]Everett[/name] - stumped here, too! I don’t really know of an [name]Everett[/name]. Oh, there was an [name]Everett[/name] in this audio drama my family has listened to since I was a child–his big brother was [name]Eugene[/name], too, funny enough. :slight_smile: He was a cute little kid, and his character’s story was a good one.

[name]Asher[/name] - I just like it. I don’t even know why. I used to hate it.

[name]Jack[/name] - [name]Jack[/name] [name]Shepherd[/name], [name]Jack[/name] from Alias, there are tons of Jacks on TV! My grandfather went by the nn [name]Jack[/name], too, and my dad and brother are both [name]John[/name].

[name]Grayson[/name] - I guess there’s [name]Grayson[/name] from [name]Cougar[/name] Town, but I haven’t even seen the show so that means nothing to me.

[name]Brody[/name] - the actor [name]Adam[/name] [name]Brody[/name], maybe? I never really watched anything with him in it, but I remember thinking he was hot when I was a teenager, ha.

[name]Spencer[/name] - there’s a [name]Spencer[/name] in the audio drama I mentioned earlier. I know there’s another [name]Spencer[/name], just can’t pinpoint it now.

[name]Bailey[/name] - There’s an actor named [name]Bailey[/name] that was on Castle several seasons ago… I guess that’s good, haha. I know there was a boy named [name]Bailey[/name] in some old show, but I never watched it. Party of Five, or something?

[name]Avery[/name] - I love it half because of the audio drama I mentioned–the main character is [name]John[/name] [name]Avery[/name] [name]Whittaker[/name] and he’s amazing! The only one that I think I purposely chose it after a book/story/etc., besides [name]Olivia[/name] for Twelfth [name]Night[/name].

[name]Boone[/name] - for [name]Daniel[/name] [name]Boone[/name]! I loved [name]Daniel[/name] [name]Boone[/name] as a little girl, haha.

I think it’s the same with me too.

[name]Caroline[/name]- My Abandonment by [name]Peter[/name] [name]Rock[/name], Dollhouse
[name]Faith[/name]- [name]Faith[/name] from [name]Buffy[/name] the Vampire Slayer
[name]Cordelia[/name]- also [name]Buffy[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]- the book Foxfire by [name]Joyce[/name] [name]Carol[/name] Oates
[name]Sheena[/name]- same book
[name]Theodora[/name]- The Haunting of [name]Hill[/name] House by [name]Shirley[/name] [name]Jackson[/name]
[name]Audrina[/name], [name]Vera[/name]- My Sweet [name]Audrina[/name]- terrible book, but that is where I first heard and loved those names
[name]Jane[/name]- [name]Jane[/name] Rizzoli, Rizzoli and Isles books
[name]Leslie[/name]- [name]Bridge[/name] to Terabithia
[name]Mara[/name]- [name]Mara[/name] [name]Jade[/name], [name]Star[/name] Wars (and [name]Jade[/name] too probably)
[name]Susannah[/name]- The Dark [name]Tower[/name] series
[name]Veronica[/name]- [name]Veronica[/name] Ganz series

I definitely get that all the time. A notable fraction of the names I like come from fictitious characters. Here are a few: (for the record, I have listed ones that I either solely like because of a character or if said character has a notable influence over my like/love of it)

[name]Cassandra[/name] - from the Soul Calibur series.
[name]Alice[/name] - as in “in Wonderland”.
[name]Ariel[/name] - from The [name]Little[/name] Mermaid, of course.
[name]Carmilla[/name] - from a novella by the same name.
[name]Dahlia[/name] - from [name]Phoenix[/name] [name]Wright[/name]: [name]Ace[/name] Attorney.
Eilonwy - from The [name]Black[/name] Cauldron.
[name]Giana[/name] - from Great [name]Giana[/name] Sisters.
[name]Giselle[/name] - from Enchanted.
[name]Lilith[/name] - my all-time favorite girls name is largely influenced from a character from Darkstalkers 3.
[name]Rosetta[/name] - a character from the [name]Rune[/name] Factory series.

[name]Cecil[/name] - after [name]Cecil[/name] [name]Harvey[/name] from Final [name]Fantasy[/name] IV.
[name]Conrad[/name] - from Bye Bye [name]Birdie[/name].
[name]Jericho[/name] - not a fictitious character, per se. [name]Chris[/name] [name]Irvine[/name], better known by his ring name [name]Chris[/name] [name]Jericho[/name], was the main influence.
[name]Juste[/name] - main character from Castlevania: [name]Harmony[/name] of Dissonance.

Oh, I definitely do this. I love naming after my favorite characters!

[name]Susannah[/name], nn Sansa: Sansa Stark, A Song of Ice and [name]Fire[/name] series
[name]Rose[/name]: [name]Rose[/name] [name]Tyler[/name], [name]Doctor[/name] Who
[name]Arwen[/name] and [name]Eowyn[/name]: [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings
Neytiri: Avatar
[name]Sabine[/name]: Beka [name]Cooper[/name] series by [name]Tamora[/name] [name]Pierce[/name]
Rukia: Rukia Kuchiki, Bleach
[name]Sam[/name]: Samwise Gamgee, [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings
[name]Coraline[/name]: [name]Coraline[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]/[name]Vivi[/name]: The [name]Divine[/name] Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood
[name]Gryffin[/name]: Gryffindor, [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] series
[name]Desmond[/name]: [name]Desmond[/name] [name]David[/name] [name]Hume[/name] LOST
I’ve thought about using [name]Noble[/name] as a mn, after [name]Donna[/name] [name]Noble[/name] from [name]Doctor[/name] Who, too.

[name]Seth[/name] (Fablehaven)
[name]Kathryn[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Joanna[/name] (The Work and the [name]Glory[/name])
[name]James[/name], [name]Rose[/name] ([name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name])
[name]Nola[/name] (character I was in a play)

And if it was acceptable, I would totally name my son after Sodapop [name]Curtis[/name] from the Outsiders…

I think this especially happens with TV and movies. It shows that the name actually is (or isn’t) usable because you hear it being used on a “person”.

I know! [name]Elena[/name] and [name]Bonnie[/name] have really come to love thanks to that show.
Same with several of my other shows.

[name]Diana[/name], [name]Dawn[/name], & [name]Faye[/name]- [name]Secret[/name] Circle
[name]Micah[/name], [name]Artie[/name], & [name]Lena[/name]- Warehouse 13
[name]Lois[/name] & [name]Tess[/name]- Smallville
[name]Nina[/name] & [name]Lee[/name]- Alphas
[name]Allison[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], Stiles, & [name]Isaac[/name]- Teen [name]Wolf[/name]
[name]Temperance[/name]- Bones

Oh, I almost forgot. [name]One[/name] of my favorite characters is [name]Kaylee[/name] Frye on Firefly, but I don’t like the name [name]Kaylee[/name], and I have a cousin named that anyway, but the actress’s name, [name]Jewel[/name], is on my mn list!

Yeah, well, half the reason I like [name]Hermione[/name] is because of the book character, so I guess I can relate. :slight_smile: