KIRSTEN....how do you pronounce it?? Solve an argument :)

Notwithstanding it always gets mistaken for [name]Kristen[/name]. Which it’s not. [name]How[/name] do you pronounce [name]Kirsten[/name]?

Here in Australia we use a strong KER sound like curtain. So it’s more like KER-[name]STEN[/name]. However, I have never heard an American pronounce it this way. It seems they pronounce it with a silent R. As in KISS-TEN. However, I have met a girl who’s name is [name]Kiersten[/name] and she pronounced her name as [name]KI[/name]-ISS-TEN.

[name]Solve[/name] an argument and tell me how you pronounce it - and if possible why?! :slight_smile:

[name]Kirsten[/name]= KUR [name]STEN[/name], [name]Kiersten[/name]/Keirsten= [name]KEER[/name] [name]STEN[/name]

In Australia, we say Kurs-ten. Like curtain. In [name]America[/name], they say Keers-ten. I once saw [name]Kirsten[/name] Dunst on Rove. He introduced her as Kurs-ten and she corrected him that it’s Keers-ten. I remember thinking she was being pretentious, but later realised that’s just how they pronounce [name]Kirsten[/name] in [name]America[/name].

I’ve never heard it pronounced with a silent r in [name]America[/name]. I’ve always heard it either Kur-stin or [name]Keer[/name]-stin.

According to the pronunciations on Forvo (here), it’s pronounced the “American” way in Germany and Demark, too.

@sarahmezz that’s actually how the argument started - over [name]Kirsten[/name] Dunst’s name. I think it is a pronunciation issue. As I always pronounced her name as Kurs-ten which, you’re right, she pronounces it as Keeeers-ten. On that basis vie always wondered how Americans pronounce [name]Kirsty[/name]. Would it be Keeers-ty? That just sounds a little odd compared to Kurs-ty…

I said Kurs-ten my entire childhood until someone not so kindly informed me it’s Keers-ten. Now I somehow feel vindicated that Aussies say it Kurs-ten! I do like the sound of it better that way.

It’s my cousin’s name, it’s said Kurs-ten (like the American Girl [name]Doll[/name]) - so that American’s pn it [name]Keer[/name]-sten thing is kind of wrong, we all don’t

dont forget once you have that in the ‘argument’ with a person who has the name [name]Kristen[/name]!! try gettin that one wrong and putting [name]Kirsten[/name]!! hahah whoops

If you’re worried about people mixing up [name]Kirsten[/name] with [name]Kristen[/name], how about using [name]Kiersten[/name]? I like that one better anyhoo.

I live in the southern US, and have known three Kirstens and two Kierstans. All but one have pronounced it [name]Keer[/name]-sten, and that’s the way I personally preferred. The one that went by Kur-sten I had a heck of a time saying her name right (I was so embarrassed). I have never heard Kiss-ten. However, I know a woman who was born and raised in [name]Boston[/name] who says [name]KI[/name]-iss-ten, but that’s because she can’t say her 'r’s.

KURS-ten

[name]KEER[/name]-sten is really ugly imo :confused:

It’s say [name]Kirsten[/name] ‘ker-sten’ like the start of [name]Kirsty[/name], and [name]Kiersten[/name] as ‘keer-sten’. I see them as two different names.

Unless told otherwise -

[name]Kirsten[/name] - kur-sten

[name]Kiersten[/name]- keer-sten

[name]Kristin[/name] - kris-tin

I just remember how it was pronounced in "Never Been Kissed: [name]Keer[/name]-sten. But then again it is an [name]America[/name] movie…

[name]Kirsten[/name]: KUR-sten
[name]Kiersten[/name]: [name]KEER[/name]-sten

[name]Don[/name]'t think I’ve ever heard them pronounced any other way. I’ve always called her KUR-sten Dunst.

[name]Kristin[/name] is my legal name, and I get called [name]Kirsten[/name] all the time, and I just got a certificate that says [name]Kristen[/name] on it :frowning: THIS is why I go by [name]Lucy[/name]- less of a chance of messing that up.

Anyway, I say [name]Kirsten[/name] as KURR-stin, and I’d say [name]Kiersten[/name] as [name]KEER[/name]-stin.

[name]Kirsten[/name] - either kur-sten or keer-sten
[name]Kiersten[/name]- always keer-sten
[name]Kristen[/name] - kris-ten.

I know 2 people with this name. [name]One[/name] is my aunt who pronounces it [name]Keer[/name]-stin (which is the traditional, “correct” way to pronounce it in its original Dutch), and the other is a friend of mine who pronounces it Kurr-stin. I also have a friend named Kirste, pronounced [name]Keer[/name]-sta.

Here in the US, I have on occasion heard kur-sten, but I would say the vast majority of people named [name]Kirsten[/name] in the US pronounce it keer-sten.

I have a [name]Kirsten[/name]!
We say [name]Kirsten[/name] like KIR-sten, like the KIR in [name]KIRA[/name].

I’ve had the pleasure of being told that I’ve spelled my child’s name wrong if that is the way we meant it to be pronounced. You can image that I had a few things to say that I kept to myself.