KIRSTEN....how do you pronounce it?? Solve an argument :)

I mainly hear it pronounced keer-sten. I think kur-sten is an accepted mispronunciation

There’s the actress [name]Kirstie[/name] Alley. It’s keer-stee but some say kur-stee

[name]Kirsten[/name] = KUR-stin ~come to think of it, I guess I can see it as KEER-stin, but I prefer it with the ‘e’ that way.
[name]Kristen[/name] = [name]KRIS[/name]-tin
[name]Kiersten[/name] = [name]KEER[/name]-stin

I have never in my life heard KISS-is-stin. Or whatever.

I’m American and have known it to be pronounced either Kur-sten or [name]Keer[/name]-sten, on a case by case basis. [name]Kirsten[/name] Dundst though is a [name]Keer[/name]-sten.

I am Canadian, and that is exactly how I would pronounce it. I have never heard [name]Kirsten[/name] pronounced KISS-ten.

Yeah, I’ve never heard Kiss-ten either. I’m in the US and I’ve always heard/said [name]Keer[/name]-sten no matter what the spelling. But [name]Kirsty[/name]/[name]Kirstie[/name] is still Kur-stee.

I’m in [name]New[/name] [name]York[/name] City and heard both [name]KEER[/name]-sten and KUR-sten (like curtains). I have never heard KISS-sten.

I would instinctively say “[name]KEER[/name]-sten”.

My name is [name]Kirstin[/name]. And oh boy am I familiar with this argument! Originally my mother planned to pronounce my name the Scandinavian way: [name]Keer[/name]-stin. But as I grew she preferred the Scottish way of pronouncing it: Kurs-stin. That is what I go by now. But I’ve been called many things from [name]Kristen[/name] to [name]Christine[/name]. I’ve gotten so used to everyone saying my name different that now if somebody calls my [name]Kristen[/name] I just shrug it off and say to myself “why even bother correcting it as they will still pronounce it wrong anyways”. [name]Kirsten[/name]/ [name]Kirstin[/name] is one of those names that has different pronunciations in other languages so its hard to always get people to pronounce it the way you want it to be pronounced. Besides that fact I quite like my name. But if I could change the way I pronounce my name now (which I guess I can) I would probably choose keer-stin, simply because I hate it when people call my Kirst (like cursed). Anyways sorry for the rant. :slight_smile:

As someone who actually has the name, you’re perfectly entitled to rant.

I’m in [name]Canada[/name] and for me, [name]Kirsten[/name] and [name]Kiersten[/name] are two different names: [name]Kirsten[/name] is [name]KERR[/name]-sten and [name]Kiersten[/name] is [name]KEER[/name]-sten. Whoa, I’d never heard of it being pronounced Kiss-sten before!

It’s my cousin’s name, it’s said Kurs-ten (like the American Girl Doll) - so that American’s pn it Keer-sten thing is kind of wrong, we all don’t.

I pronounce this way too… even KUR-sten.

I knew someone in high school with this name and pronunciation. Never heard it pronounced KISS-TEN; well, at least not what I can recall.

I live in the US and have a cousin named [name]Kirsten[/name], pronounced Kur-sten. I only know one [name]Kiersten[/name], and her name is pronounced [name]Keer[/name]-sten. I’ve never heard either pronounced without the R sound.

I would automatically say “keer-sten”. I could also go with “kur-sten” if that’s how the person introduced themselves.

My first instinct is to pronounce it [name]Kirsten[/name]= kEAR-sten/kEER-sten as in “ear” but I’ve also heard kURst-ten. I’m from the US.

My first guess to either [name_f]Kirsten[/name_f] or [name_f]Kiersten[/name_f] would be “[name_m]Keer[/name_m]-sten”, but “Kur-sten” would be my second guess. [name_m]Both[/name_m] pronounciations are lovely in my opinion.

ive heard it:

[name_m]Keir[/name_m]- like [name_f]Keira[/name_f] Knightly
Kur
and as Kri which makes no sense

[name_m]HOW[/name_m] IS IT SUPPOSED TO BE PRONOUNCED? i say the way its spelled, which i think its Kur, heard it more that way too.

same with [name_f]Kirsty[/name_f] = Kursty not [name_f]Kristy[/name_f]

My name is actually “[name_f]Kirstyn[/name_f]” since my parents got creative with the spelling. I agree completely with ladyvanraven. In my experience, both pronunciations are acceptable and common in the US. I’ve talked to quite a number of Kirstens in my life. I’m a Lutheran which is a branch of Christianity heavily populated by Scandinavians and Germans, so the name is very common at church gatherings. I’ve also met many other Kirstens (and even Kirstyns!) on Facebook. Among all of the various Kirstens I’ve met, both kur-sten (the way I say it) and kear-sten are used. If I had to put a ratio on it, I’d say 1/3 to 2/3 respectively. I’ve never heard it pronounced without the r. That would surprise me. I am interested to hear, though, ladyvanraven’s comment on the origin of the two pronunciations. I’d never heard that, although I supposed that there must be a regional explanation for the variation.

I guess Ker-sten?

Its the name of one of my second cousins and her parents pronounce it kur-stin, first syllable like curtain. I’ve also encountered a [name_f]Kirstene[/name_f] who uses kur-steen, though for your spelling I’d opt for kur- stin every time. British, by the way.

From my experience growing up in [name_m]Ontario[/name_m], [name_f]Canada[/name_f], [name_f]Kirsten[/name_f] = Kurs-ten and [name_f]Kiersten[/name_f] = Keers-ten. That being said, I did know one girl who pronounced her name Keersten when the spelling was [name_f]Kirsten[/name_f]. I always thought that was unusual, and figured maybe her family was of Scandinavian heritage. As for the pronunciation Kiss-ten, I’m imagining that it’s more the perception of an accent rather than the pronunciation.

[name_f]Kirsten[/name_f] = [name_m]KEER[/name_m]-stin
[name_f]Kiersten[/name_f] = also [name_m]KEER[/name_m]-stin
[name_f]Kirsty[/name_f]/[name_f]Kirstie[/name_f] = [name_m]KEER[/name_m]-stee

Though I can see the CURR pronunciations for [name_f]Kirsten[/name_f] and [name_f]Kirsty[/name_f], I am almost positive that [name_f]Kirsten[/name_f] Dunst is [name_m]KEER[/name_m]-stin, and [name_f]Kirstie[/name_f] Alley is [name_m]KEER[/name_m]-stee.

Yay, finally a name that the British and Aussies mispronounce and not the Americans! :stuck_out_tongue:

ETA: I have never met anyone named [name_f]Kiersten[/name_f] before. On first glance, my instinct was to try to add another syllable, like KEE-ere-stin.