KIRSTEN....how do you pronounce it?? Solve an argument :)

Yup, I agree. If someone pronounced it “KUR-sten” I wouldn’t tell them they were wrong, however. They seem like both legitimate pronunciations.

[name_f]Kirsten[/name_f] - KER-sten
[name_f]Kiersten[/name_f] - [name_m]KEER[/name_m]-sten
[name_f]Kristen[/name_f] - [name_u]KRIS[/name_u]-ten
[name_f]Kristine[/name_f] - kris-TEEN

[name_f]Kirsten[/name_f]: [name_m]Keer[/name_m]-stin
[name_f]Kirsty[/name_f]: [name_m]Keer[/name_m]-sty

But the actress [name_f]Kirsty[/name_f] Alley? Ker-sty. I think because that’s how she pronounces it.

And I’m an American [name_u]West[/name_u] Coaster.

I’m from [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] and I say KER-sten.

Kurs-ten I’m in Australia and Keers-ten just sounds wrong.
And [name_f]Kirsty[/name_f] is said Kursty

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is actually [name_f]Kirsten[/name_f]! (pronounced KEER-sten) I’m Danish/American, and I am always blown away when someone (which rarely happens here in America) pronounces it correctly. Most often, I get called KER-sten or [name_f]Kristen[/name_f] if they can’t read. Sorry, I’m a little bitter. Ha! Never once heard Kiss-en before, so no, not a typical pronunciation in America…

The traditional pronunciation is KEER-sten if you are going by name origin. But when people name their kid [name_f]Kirsten[/name_f] and aren’t from [name_m]Denmark[/name_m], Norway, [name_u]Sweden[/name_u] or the like, then it makes sense they wouldn’t necessarily pronounce it the traditional way. Personally, I think you should pronounce the name the way the person wants. It is their name after all. :slight_smile:

1 Like