Leighton, Layton, Leyton--which do you prefer?

Can’t decide which spelling I prefer, so I thought I’d ask your opinions and see if any of your comments sway me one way or the other. haha Also, is this name too feminine now for a boy? I still think it sounds masculine, but I know a lot of people, at least in the US, associate the name with [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] Meester.

I don’t think it’s too feminine! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite is [name_u]Leighton[/name_u].

1 Like

Not too feminine at all! [name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is [name_u]Leighton[/name_u], but [name_m]Layton[/name_m] is also nice, and it might seem less feminine since it is different than Meester’s name.

1 Like

I had that thought. I’m not 100% sure I like the [name_m]Layton[/name_m] and [name_m]Leyton[/name_m] spellings yet, but it would distance the name from [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] Meester.

1 Like

Layton for me! I’m Canadian and we had a well-respected and fondly-remembered political party leader named [name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]Layton[/name_m] (who succumbed to cancer in 2011), so I always think of him when I see this spelling and it makes me smile :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Leighton, hands down. I would probably assume girl, but it works perfectly fine on boys as well. I don’t really think the other spellings would distance the name from [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] Meester since most people would just be hearing the name, not seeing how it’s spelled.

I like the look of [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] best, but I also naturally pronounce it “lee-ton”. If you’re looking to get the “lay-ton” pronunciation, maybe one of the others would be better. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Leighton or [name_m]Layton[/name_m]!

I like [name_m]Leyton[/name_m] best!!

Also Canadian and LOVED [name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]Layton[/name_m] ! I will always prefer this spelling! He was phenomenal

1 Like

I like [name_m]Layton[/name_m].

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]Leighton[/name_u], I actually think of it as masculine, but that could be because I know a male [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] in real life?

I definitely prefer [name_m]Layton[/name_m] because of Professor [name_m]Layton[/name_m].

1 Like

My preference is [name_m]Leyton[/name_m]. I think this is because I first heard the name on [name_m]Leyton[/name_m] [name_m]Hewitt[/name_m] the Aussie tennis player?

ETA - my bad, he spells it [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m]!

Leighton followed by [name_m]Layton[/name_m]. I don’t see [name_m]Leyton[/name_m] as a name spelling as it’s, to me, a geographical area - a part of east [name_u]London[/name_u]. But that may not be an issue for you depending on where you live. It’s just something to bear in mind if you’ve got UK connections/intend to move somewhere near [name_u]London[/name_u] in the future

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] and don’t think it is too feminine

Leighton, [name_u]Leighton[/name_u], [name_u]Leighton[/name_u]!

I like [name_m]Leyton[/name_m] best. It looks sleek and streamline

I prefer [name_m]Layton[/name_m], it’s the most phonetic. I also think [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] seems more feminine, but it’s definitely a neutral name.

1 Like

I see it as more masculine…I prefer the [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] spelling.