Lilith

I’m loving the name [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], but I have concerns. While I’m not religious myself and I actually love the mythological [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] and what she represents to me, I am concerned that this may offend people who view her as a demon in their religion. Anyone who is Jewish, would someone using the name [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] be offensive to you?

Jew here. Would not be offended. It’s a strong name.

1 Like

I adore Lilith :heart_eyes: This name has been discussed quite a bit on this forum, so I’ll put some links below.

In the first link, I provide my two cents on the name in a comment. And the second link is my own post from a while back.

But I’ll admit that I don’t mind offending people with my feminism… I think that the people who “believe” in Lilith’s origin story have to believe that she, as an equal to Adam, was wrong and unnatural. She is only a demon because she was cast out of the Garden for not obeying her husband and demanding equality. If someone finds that “wrong” then everything about who I am, as a person, is going to automatically offend them :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I might as well name my kid something that offends them too. That said, if you’re not 100% confident in the name, I suggest rethinking it.

My friend is Jewish (but not actively practicing) and a feminist. He thinks Lilith is a bad@ss name, especially for someone like me :grin: (if I have a daughter one day)

1:

2:

3:
Lilith comments

1 Like

I totally agree! I think she is really badass. I do have close family friends who are jewish though, as is a large part of my town which is why i was concerned. It’s more a concern of respecting their religion rather than offending them.

In that case, I suggest asking them. You don’t have to tell them YOU’RE thinking of using the name. You could say you met, or heard of, a kid with the name, and you’re curious about their thoughts.

Different Jewish people are going to have different opinions on this, so I think going to the people who would be in your child’s life would be a good idea.

1 Like

Hi, Jew here!!

I am a conservative Jew and I definitely think [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] is ok. [name_f]My[/name_f] reform friends think so too, however I’m not sure ho Orthodox Jews would feel about this, but I think it’s totally ok.

1 Like

Greetings from another Jew. I would find it puzzling if someone named their Jewish daughter [name_f]Lilith[/name_f]. It seems like something my mother would put in her made-up category “WE don’t do that”. However, I don’t think it’s offensive (at least it isn’t to me).

I would actually assume that the name is somewhat offensive, or at least off-putting to some [name_u]Christian[/name_u] denominations :woman_shrugging:. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t ask me where I got this from.

1 Like

Jew here. Not offensive at all… I didn’t even know about this until I just now looked it up. Like someone mentioned, maybe an orthodox would have some issue w it, but they have issues w most things so I wouldn’t worry about it whatsoever!!! Beautiful name.

2 Likes