Llewellyn's complete book of names NOTD (by LeafTree)

For my birthday back in [name_u]October[/name_u] i was given Llewellyn’s Complete Book of Names, it has soo many names (many of which i have never heard of) and lots of interesting details about them. It also has pronunciations, puts names into different categories and its just such a good name book.

I’ve had this idea for a while but haven’t gotten around to doing it until now. I thought it might be interesting to share names from this book that aren’t in the nameberry database, or are names that are quite rare or i haven’t ever heard of.

I’ll try to post one name every day or couple of days for the next while, with information about the name. If you have this book, and want to contribute as well you are more than welcome to!

i hope you enjoy reading them!

13 Likes

31/12/2022

Altyerre

Altyerre is a unisex First Nations Australian name. in the first nations language Arrernte, Altyerre means Dreamtime or The Dreaming. “The Dreaming refers to the ‘Spirit World’ that accompanies our physical one.It is believed that our Creator Spirits and Ancestors reside there and that we too will eventually go there when we pass away. The Dreaming is the basis for all the beliefs and Lore that we as Aboriginal people chose to live our lives by.” - DeadlyStory.com.

Other variations of Altyerre are Alchera, Altjira and Altjeringa, which all also meaning Dreamtime or The Dreaming

It is important to learn from First Nations people, and there are many places online where you can do that, i do not want to speak over first nations people which is why i used a quote written by first nations people. I wanted to share this name because i don’t think i ever see first nations names on here.

9 Likes

[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] idea and I look forward to reading these!

Altyerre is stunning!

2 Likes

Wow amazing meaning! Really looking forward to hearing more :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Looking forward to it!

2 Likes

3/1/2023
Whoops! I got a bit sidetracked and forgot to post here on the 1st and 2nd.

Caractacus

Caractacus is a masculine name of Welsh origin, latinized from the Welsh name Caratacōs, which is derived from the Celtic root Karu meaning “to love”. In Welsh Caractacus means “beloved”, but can also mean “to have character” or “dear friend” from other origins. Other forms of Caractacus are [name_m]Caradog[/name_m], [name_m]Caradoc[/name_m] and Carthac. Caractacus was the son of the Celtic [name_m]King[/name_m] Cunobelinus, leader of the Catuvellauni tribe. Caractacus then went on to become [name_m]King[/name_m], and fought against [name_m]Roman[/name_m] expansion in [name_u]Britain[/name_u].

7 Likes

5/1/2023

Iska prn. IS-kuh

Iska has multiple origins, but the one listed in the book is Hausa. The meaning in Hausa is “wind”, “air” or “breeze”.
Iska also derives from the Medieval Latin name [name_m]Franciscus[/name_m], hence it derives from the Germanic name [name_f]Franka[/name_f] meaning “javelin” or “spear”, Ultimately it is a derivative of the Germanic name Sahsa, meaning “knife” or “dagger”

9 Likes

You’re a lifesaver, this is my favorite name book and I cannot for the life of me find it anywhere ! :slightly_smiling_face: Iska is simply gorgeous.

2 Likes

6/1/2023

Elfwyn prn. ELF-win

Elfwyn stems from the old English name Ælfwynn, composed of: ælf “elf” + wynn “joy”. Elfwyn means “rapture” and “delight”. Ælfwynn was a grand-daughter of King Alfred the great, who lived in the ninth and early tenth centuries, and the daughter of Æthelflæd and Ætheldred. It is presumed that Ælfwynn was born soon after her parents marriage, around 888. Ælfwynn was the ruler of Mercia in 918.

11 Likes

7/1/2023

Sylph prn. silf

A Sylph is a spirit belonging to the air. The word was first used by Paracelsus in the 16th century. The etymology of Sylph is uncertain; it may stem from Sylvestris, meaning “belonging to a wood” + Nymph. There is also a type of dark green and blue hummingbird called a Sylph.

There is also the variation Sylphe (pronounced the same way) which is [name_u]French[/name_u].

11 Likes