A Welsh Name A Day

I’m crediting @LeafTree for this idea. I hope you don’t mind me copying!

Brief Summary:
I had originally planned to produce a list of Welsh names, taken from Enwau Cymraeg i Blant (Welsh Names for Children), like I have done previously. But when I went to make my list and found that descriptions can no longer be added to each individual name, I decided it wouldn’t work. I wasn’t sure how to go about sharing the names until I came across LeafTree’s NOTD topic.

Detailed Summary (feel free to ignore)

When I first joined Nameberry there was a lack of Welsh names in the database and the names that did exist generally had incorrect meanings, pronunciations or origins. In the past, I shared a select list of Welsh names from Enwau Cymraeg i Blant (Welsh Names for Children) that I considered to be easy to pronounce. Many of these were added or updated in the database.

My plan over the Christmas/New Year’s period was to produce a new list of Welsh names not in the database (or not in the database with a Welsh origin). But when I went to make my list I found that descriptions can no longer be added to each individual name on a list.

I had been racking my brain over the last couple months trying to figure out what to do. I considered writing a list of names and submitting it anyway but I figured it wouldn’t be very effective if it lacks pronunciations and meanings. Next, I considered making several posts in the What Names Have We Missed? thread but thought that would end up getting annoying. Lastly, I considered making my own topic with a list of the names but again thought that would be annoying and information overload.

And then I saw the Llewellyn’s complete book of names NOTD thread and I thought the idea was genius.

I plan to post a name a day. And, while I would like to post every name in the book, I will probably skip the names with more complex pronunciations and the names with a lack of information (unless I find them particularly interesting). I will also make sure I don’t post the same names as LeafTree.

17 Likes

I’m starting with a name that is not easy to pronounce (sorry) but I found the origin story interesting.

Aelhaearn / Elhaearn
masculine; pr. ailhaiarn; meaning: iron brow, from ael (brow) + haearn (iron)

detailed pronunciation

ae (ai) = eye
l = as in like
h = as in hard
ae (ai) = eye
a = as in sat
r = as in right
n = as in no

The name of a 7th century saint celebrated on [name_u]November[/name_u] 1.

Aelhaearn’s name is believed to have originated from a miracle preformed by his mentor, [name_m]Beuno[/name_m].
One night, as [name_m]Beuno[/name_m] was returning to his cell, he came across a man hiding in the dark. [name_m]Beuno[/name_m] prayed that if the man had bad intentions, he should be made an example of. As soon as [name_m]Beuno[/name_m] said this, wild animals appeared from the forest and tore the man apart. [name_m]Beuno[/name_m] then discovered that the man was his servant and regretted his actions. [name_m]Beuno[/name_m] decided he would undo what happened and set the man’s bones and limbs together. But, a bone from beneath his brow had been lost. The missing bone was replaced with a piece of iron, and Bueno raised Aelhaearn from the dead.

Aelhaearn is commemorated in Ffynon Aelhaearn (Aelhaearn’s Well), a holy well credited with miraculous healing, at Llanaelhaearn. For centuries, the well was a major religious site where many would gather to witness the water “laughing” (an irregular upwelling of bubbles). In 1900, a diphtheria outbreak saw the well sealed indefinitely.

14 Likes

This is a really cool idea! I’m glad you started with Aelhaearn, the meaning is very interesting.

1 Like

Ooh, this is fantastic and fascinating - thank you for sharing this name and I look forward to reading more

1 Like

I’m looking forward to this, too! I hope more threads like these come up. Always exciting.

1 Like

Afarwy
masculine; pr. avarʊi; meaning: grief, from Old Welsh; “man of the earth”, from Greek via Latin

detailed pronunciation

a = as in sat
f (v) = as in very
a = as in sat
r = as in right
wy (ʊi) = ouie, as in louie

Afarwy is the name of an early Welsh saint and afarwy is believed to be an archaic Welsh word meaning grief. However, more notably, Afarwy is considered to be the Welsh form of [name_m]Androgeus[/name_m], the Latinized form of Androgeos, derived from Greek andros (man) + geos (earth, land).

The [name_u]Story[/name_u] of Afarwy ap Lud
Afarwy, appearing as [name_m]Androgeus[/name_m] in [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m] of Monmouth’s [name_f]Historia[/name_f] Regum Britanniae, is the eldest son of king Lud. Upon Lud’s death, Afarwy was too young to rule, so the throne was given to his uncle Cassivellaunus, and Afarwy was named [name_u]Duke[/name_u] of Trinovantum (London) and [name_m]Kent[/name_m] instead. Afarwy went on to participate in the defence of [name_u]Britain[/name_u] against [name_m]Julius[/name_m] [name_m]Caesar[/name_m].

During celebrations following the first two victories against [name_m]Caesar[/name_m], Afarwy’s nephew, Cuelinus, killed Cassivellaunus’ nephew, Hirelglas, in a dispute over the results of their wrestling match. Afarwy, fearing Cassivellaunus’ intentions, proposed trialling Cuelinus in his own court. Cassivellaunus responded by declaring war on Afarwy, and Afarwy appealed to [name_m]Caesar[/name_m] for support.

Afarwy gifted 40 hostages, including his own son, to [name_m]Caesar[/name_m] as proof of intent and allowed [name_m]Caesar[/name_m] to invade [name_u]Britain[/name_u] for a third time. Afarwy and [name_m]Caesar[/name_m] forced Cassivellaunus to surrender and agree to pay a tribute of 3000 pieces of silver every year to [name_u]Rome[/name_u]. As a result of his actions (inviting [name_m]Caesar[/name_m] to invade), Afarwy was labelled in the Welsh Triads as one of the “Three Dishonoured Men of the [name_u]Island[/name_u] of Britain”.

11 Likes

Diolch yn fawr for this thread :heart: Nameberry definitely needs more of our beautiful Welsh names on the data base. I’m so glad your decided to start this topic! Cymru am Byth :wales:

2 Likes

Since I wasn’t able to post yesterday, I’m posting two names today :slightly_smiling_face:

Amranwen
feminine; pr. am-RAN-wen; meaning: white eyelid, from amrant (eyelid) + gwen (white)

detailed pronunciation

a = as in sat
m = as in me
r = as in right
a = as in sat
n = as in no
w = as in was
e = as well
n = as in no

Amranwen is also the Welsh name for the coastal plant Tripleurospermum Maritimum, which is more commonly known as false mayweed or sea mayweed.

Anarawd
masculine; pr. an-AH-raud; meaning: great speaker (approximated)

detailed pronunciation

a = as in sat
n = as in no
a (ah) = as in sat
r = as in right
aw (au) = ou, as in around
d = as in do

Anarawd is a name of Middle Welsh origin, from the intensifying prefix an + arawd (speech). Anarawd is the name of multiple historical and legendary figures.

Anarawd ap Gwriad (d.954)
A son of Gwriad ap [name_m]Rhodri[/name_m] Mawr, and nephew of Anarawd ap [name_m]Rhodri[/name_m] Mawr (see below), who is believed to have been slain in battle in 954AD.

Anarawd ap [name_m]Rhodri[/name_m] Mawr (d.916)
The eldest son of [name_m]Rhodri[/name_m] ap [name_m]Merfyn[/name_m] (also known as [name_m]Rhodri[/name_m] Mawr / [name_m]Rhodri[/name_m] the Great), who succeeded to the throne as [name_m]King[/name_m] of [name_u]Gwynedd[/name_u] in 878AD. Although his father had become ruler of most of Northern [name_m]Wales[/name_m] during his reign, Welsh [name_m]Law[/name_m] dictated that, upon his death, his lands must be divided amongst his able-bodied children. Anarawd retained [name_u]Gwynedd[/name_u], while his brothers, [name_m]Cadell[/name_m] and [name_m]Merfyn[/name_m] are believed to have obtained the kingdoms of Ceredigion and Powys, respectively.

In 881AD, Anarawd led the defeat against the invasion by Æthelred of Mercia in The Battle of Conwy at Cymryd. The battle was recorded by Welsh annals as Dial [name_m]Rhodri[/name_m] (“God’s vengeance for Rhodri”) and Anarawd was hailed as “King of the Britons” in the Annales Cambriae (The Annals of Wales).

Anarawd ap Tangwydd
A ruler of Elfael, a cantref of Rhwng Gwy a [name_f]Hafren[/name_f] (a sub-kingdom ‘Between [name_m]Wye[/name_m] and Severn’), c.840-875AD.

Anarawd ap [name_m]Merfyn[/name_m] Mawr
A king of Ynys Manaw (Isle of Man) in 682AD, who was more commonly known as Anarawd Gwalchcrwn (Anarawd the Crowned Hawk) or Gallgwrn ap [name_m]Merfyn[/name_m] Mawr. Although nothing is known of his reign, he is generally regarded as a legendary ruler.

In the story of [name_f]Branwen[/name_f], daughter of [name_m]Llyr[/name_m], within the second branch of the Mabinogi, the name Anarawd Gwalchcrwn appears in the form Anarawc Walltgrwn as the father of Iddig. This is often wrongly attributed to Anarawd ap [name_m]Merfyn[/name_m] Mawr, despite no evidence to support a connection.

7 Likes

Anian
unisex; pr. aniːan; meaning: nature or temperament, from anian (nature, temperament)

detailed pronunciation

a = as in sat
n = as in no
i (iː) = e, as in be
a = as in sat
n = as in no

Although all recorded usage of Anian is as a masculine name, anian is both a masculine and feminine noun with the Welsh language. The predominant masculine usage may be due to it’s similarity to Anianus from Latin. Furthermore, although there is no evidence of a connection, Anian can be considered the direct Welsh form of Anianus.

Anian I, [name_m]Bishop[/name_m] of St [name_m]Asaph[/name_m] (1249-1266)
[name_m]Prior[/name_m] to being appointed [name_m]Bishop[/name_m] of the Diocese of St [name_m]Asaph[/name_m], Anian I was known as Einion ap [name_m]Maredudd[/name_m]. In 1263, during his episcopate, it is believed that Anian I gave half of the church of Llanllwchaearn in Cydewain to the nuns of Llanllugan, and in 1265, gave the church of Berriw to Strata [name_f]Marcella[/name_f].

Anian, [name_m]Bishop[/name_m] of Bangor (c.1267-1307)
[name_m]Prior[/name_m] to his consecration as [name_m]Bishop[/name_m] of Bangor, Anian was the first Archdeacon of Anglesey.
In 1274, Anian disagreed with [name_m]Llywelyn[/name_m] ap [name_m]Gruffudd[/name_m], the [name_u]Prince[/name_u] of [name_m]Wales[/name_m], over the treatment of his brother. In 1276, Anian composed list of complaints he held against the prince and sided with [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_u]Edward[/name_u] I of [name_u]England[/name_u]. On St. Mark’s [name_u]Day[/name_u] in 1284, Anian christened the first [name_f]English[/name_f] [name_u]Prince[/name_u] of [name_m]Wales[/name_m], [name_u]Edward[/name_u] II.

Anian II, [name_m]Bishop[/name_m] of St [name_m]Asaph[/name_m] (1268-1293)
Not much is known about Anian II as he is often confused with Anian, [name_m]Bishop[/name_m] of Bangor. However, the episcopate of Anian II was described as “the best and stoutest upholder ever seen of the rights of his bishopric.”

7 Likes

Arwel
masculine; pr. AR-wɛl; meaning: prominent

detailed pronuunciation

a = as in sat
r = as in right
w = as in was
e (ɛ) = as in well
l = as in like

Despite being an old name, Arwel still has some relatively modern usage, although it is rare. In 2019, the name Arwel was given to 4 baby boys and ranked at 3,937 in [name_u]England[/name_u] & [name_m]Wales[/name_m].

Although there is no recorded use for Arwel in the most recent statistics (2021), that does not mean the name has gone out of use. ONS only records the usage of names that are given to at least 3 babies born within the relevant year.

Arwel [name_m]Hughes[/name_m] (1909–1988)
A Welsh orchestral conductor and composer, who’s most famous for his large-scale oratorios, [name_u]Dewi[/name_u] Sant and Pantycelyn, and a shorter work, Gweddi. For many years, Arwel [name_m]Hughes[/name_m] conducted performances by the Welsh National [name_f]Opera[/name_f], as well as his own two operas, [name_f]Menna[/name_f], a tragedy based on a Welsh folk legend; and Serch yw’r [name_u]Doctor[/name_u], a comedy adapted from Molière’s L’Amour médecin, These works played an important role in the development of opera in [name_m]Wales[/name_m].

[name_m]Owain[/name_m] Arwel [name_m]Hughes[/name_m] (b.1942)
A Welsh orchestral conductor, and the son of Arwel [name_m]Hugues[/name_m]. His work has included engagements with Welsh National [name_f]Opera[/name_f] and the [name_f]English[/name_f] National [name_f]Opera[/name_f], and his musical performances has included the National Eisteddfod of [name_m]Wales[/name_m].

Arwel [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] (b.1974)
A former [name_m]Wales[/name_m] international rugby union player. He won his first of his 23 caps against [name_f]Italy[/name_f] in 1996, and was named captain of Neath for the 2009–10 rugby season.

Arwel [name_m]Richards[/name_m] (b.1982)
A Welsh businessman, columnist and polo administrator. He has written articles relating to cars and style, and from 2007 to 2009, he was Festival Director of the Swansea [name_u]Bay[/name_u] Film Festival.

Arwel [name_m]Robson[/name_m] (b.1997)
A Welsh rugby union player who debuted as a fly-half for the regional team Dragons in 2016.

9 Likes

Awel / Awela
feminine; pr. AH-wɛl / ah-wɛl-ah; meaning: breeze, from awel (breeze)

detailed pronunciation

a (ah) = as in sat
w = as in was
e (ɛ) = as in well
l = as in like
/ a (ah) = as in sat

Awel & Awela are Welsh nature names from the feminine noun awel. Awela may derive from the presumed Proto-Celtic spelling *awelā, or from awel + the feminine suffix a.

Awel has recorded usage for the last three years, where it was given to 4 baby girls in each year. In 2021, Awel ranked at 4,634 in Englnd & [name_m]Wales[/name_m].

There is no recorded usage of Awela since records began in 1996.

6 Likes

Baeddan
masculine; pr. BAI-ðan; meaning: little boar, from baedd (boar)

detailed pronunciation

b = as in be
ae (ai) = eye
dd (ð) = th, as in wither
a = as in sat
n= as in no

Baeddan, sometimes written as Baedan (pr. BAI-dan), is the name of a stream in [name_m]Wales[/name_m]. The stream is said to have been named after a person.

The name Baeddan appears in Culhwch ac [name_f]Olwen[/name_f], the oldest surviving tale of The Mabinogion, as Baedan. He is the father of Maelwys (Maelwys mab Baedan).

Some theories suggest that Baeddan is a variant of Bagdemagus, [name_m]King[/name_m] of the land of Gorre and a [name_m]Knight[/name_m] of the Round Table. This theory relies on the idea that Maelwys is a variation of Melwas (the original form of Maleagant, son of Bagdemagus).

However, many theorists reject any connection of Baeddan to Bagdemagus, and instead suggest that Maelwys is the historical [name_u]Irish[/name_u] prince Máel Umai and his father, Báetán mac Muirchertaig (High [name_m]King[/name_m] of [name_u]Ireland[/name_u], 566-572AD), is Baeddan. This theory is widely accepted as many early Welsh tales are believed to have been inspired by [name_u]Irish[/name_u] legend.

8 Likes

Bedwyn
masculine; pr. bɛdwɪn; meaning: birch tree, from bedwen (birch)

detailed pronunciation

b = as in be
e (ɛ) = as in well
d = as in do
w = as in was
i (ɪ) = e, as in roses
n = as in no

Bedwyn appears in several place names. Historic place names include Bedwyn-uchaf and Bedwyn-isaf, and present place names include Ffrîth Bedwyn and Bryn-bedwyn.

The earliest recorded usage of Bedwyn as a given name is 1889, and the most recent usage was in 1991, according to the birth registry index.

Although there is no recorded usage of Bedwen as a name, it could be a modern feminine version of Bedwyn, taken directly from the feminine noun source.

7 Likes

Today is a name I was actually surprised is not already in the Nameberry database! Hopefully it was worth the 3-day wait :wink:

Blodeuwedd
feminine; pr. blɔ’dɛiwɛð; meaning: face of flowers, from blodau (flowers) + gwedd (appearance)

detailed pronunciation

b = as in be
l = as in like
o (ɔ) = as in off
d = as in do
eu (ɛi) = ai, as in pain
w = as in was
e (ɛ) = as in well
dd (ð) = th, as in wither

In Math fab Mathonwy, the fourth branch of the Mabinogi, Blodeuwedd is the wife of Llew Llaw Gyffes. She was made by Math and Gwydion from the flowers of oak, broom and meadowsweet to counteract a curse placed upon Llew Llaw Gyffes - that he may never have a human wife - by his mother, Arianrhod.

Later, Blodeuwedd has an affair with Gronw Pebr and plots to kill Llew. As punishment, Blodeuwedd is turned into an owl, as it is a creature hated by all other birds, and becomes ostracised.

The author declares: “Blodeuwedd” means “owl” in the language of today. And it is because of that there is hostility between birds and owls, and the owl is still known as Blodeuwedd.

To read more, visit: Math fab Mathonwy: The Fourth Branch of the Mabinogi. Blodeuwedd’s story is in Part III.

8 Likes

Arwel is gorgeous - I love it a lot!

And Awel/Awela - meaning breeze is dreamy!!

Blodeuwedd has such an intriguing and distinctive sound!

2 Likes

Bronmai
feminine; pr. brɔnmai

detailed pronunciation

b = as in be
r = as in right
o (ɔ) = as in off
n = as in no
m = as in me
ai = eye

From bron meaning breast (body) or breast of hill + [name_u]Mai[/name_u] meaning [name_f]May[/name_f] (month).

The earliest recorded usage of Bronmai as a given name, in [name_u]England[/name_u] & [name_m]Wales[/name_m], is 1908, and the most recent recorded usage is 1964.

7 Likes

Cadwaladr
masculine; pr. kad-WAL-a-d’rr; meaning: battle leader or battle ruler

detailed pronunciation

c (k) = as in cool
a = as in sat
d = as in do
w = as in was
a = as in sat
l = as in like
a = as in sat
d = as in do
r = as in right

Originally Catgualatr in Old Welsh, from cad (battle) + gwaladr (leader, ruler).
It can also be spelt [name_m]Cadwallader[/name_m], and Cadwalader in Anglicised Welsh.

Cadwaladr (and its variant spellings) has been used as both a given name and a surname. The most notable in Welsh history is Cadwaladr ap Cadwallon.

Cadwaladr ap Cadwallon
Cadwaladr ap Cadwallon was [name_m]King[/name_m] of [name_u]Gwynedd[/name_u] c.655-682. During his reign, he faced two devastating plagues (in 664 and 682). The second plague took his life. In Genealogies from [name_m]Jesus[/name_m] College MS 20 (medieval manuscript of Welsh lineage), Cadwaladr is recorded as Kadwaladyr Vendigeit (Cadwaladr the Blessed).

[name_m]History[/name_m] and Myth of Cadwaladr ap Cadwallon

The long establish Welsh symbol, the red dragon, is attributed to Cadwaladr. During the Middle Ages, it was referred to as “The [name_u]Red[/name_u] Dragon of Cadwaladr”, despite no evidence of a historical connection between the red dragon and Cadwaladr. It is theorised that the connection originated in myth and “provided a messianic hope for the future deliverance of [name_u]Britain[/name_u] from the dominion of the Saxons”.

According to [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m] of Monmouth, Cadwaladr, the last true [name_m]King[/name_m] of [name_u]Britain[/name_u], receives a prophecy urging him to sacrifice personal power for the sake of his people. If he renounces the throne, his sacrifice will lead to the restoration of [name_f]British[/name_f] control, as prophecised by [name_u]Merlin[/name_u]. Cadwaladr is told to live a penitent life to become a saint, and once his sacred bones are returned to [name_u]Britain[/name_u], the Britons (Welsh and Bretons) can restore full possession of their homeland.

During the Wars of the Roses (1455-1487), the prophecies relating to Cadwaladr were used by contenders as part of their claim to the [name_f]English[/name_f] throne. Although the Tudors also claimed direct descent from Cadwaladr to legitimise their authority of [name_u]Britain[/name_u] as a whole. [name_u]Henry[/name_u] [name_m]Tudor[/name_m] adopted use of the red dragon and claimed to be fulfilling the prophecy set by [name_u]Merlin[/name_u]. After his victory as Battle of Bosworth [name_m]Field[/name_m], “The [name_u]Red[/name_u] Dragon of Cadwaladr” was incorporated into [name_u]Henry[/name_u] VII’s coat of arms.

7 Likes

Cefni
masculine; pr. kɛvni:

Cefni comes from the masculine noun cefn (back, ridge, support). It is found in the name of a town (Llangefni), reservoir (Llyn Cefni) and river (Afon Cefni) in Anglesey. It is also the bardic name of Welsh writer and minister [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] [name_m]Parry[/name_m].

[name_m]Hugh[/name_m] [name_m]Parry[/name_m] (1826-1895)
[name_m]Hugh[/name_m] [name_m]Parry[/name_m] was originally a member of the Congregational churches at Llangefni and Rhos-y-meirch. He was ordained as a minister at Bagillt in 1848, but seceded to the Baptists at Llangefni in 1850. He held pastorates at Rhos-y-bol (1851); Dowlais (1851-1855); Bangor (1855-7); Brymbo & [name_m]Moss[/name_m] (1857-1860); Tal-y-bont, Cardiganshire (1860-1864); Tottenham [name_m]Court[/name_m] Road, [name_u]London[/name_u] (1864-1867); and Cardiff (1867-1870).

[name_m]Hugh[/name_m] [name_m]Parry[/name_m] emigrated to [name_u]America[/name_u] in 1870, where he served as pastorate of Dodgeville, Wisconsin (1885-1895). He returned to [name_m]Wales[/name_m] on many occasions and was pastor at Holywell (1884-1885). He died at Llangefni, in 1895, and was buried at Rhos-y-meirch.

In 1863, [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] [name_m]Parry[/name_m] succeeded in the pryddest competition at the National Eisteddfod in Swansea. He published many articles and poetry of a high standard in both the Welsh and American periodical press.

4 Likes

Since I forgot to add this yesterday:

detailed pronunciation for Cefni

c (k) = as in cool
e (ɛ) = as in well
f (v) = as in very
n = as in no
i (iː) = e, as in be

Today’s name:

Ceirios
feminine; pr. kɛiriːɔs; meaning: cherries, from ceirios (cherries)

detailed pronunciation

c (k) = as in cool
ei (ɛi) = ai, as in pain
r = as in right
i (iː) = e, as in be
o (ɔ) = as in off
s = as in see

The earliest recorded usage of Ceirios as a given name in [name_u]England[/name_u] & [name_m]Wales[/name_m] is 1931, and the most recent recorded usage is 1988, according to the Births Registered Indexes.

index combos

1966: Ceirios [name_f]Myfanwy[/name_f]
1971: Ceirios [name_f]Rowena[/name_f]
1981: Ceirios [name_f]Jolanta[/name_f]
1981: Ceirios [name_f]Mererid[/name_f]
1983: Ceirios Awena
1985: Ceirios [name_f]Bethan[/name_f]
1987: Ceirios [name_u]Wyn[/name_u]
1987: Ceirios [name_f]Mair[/name_f]
1988: Ceirios [name_f]Haf[/name_f]

6 Likes

Cynhafal
masculine; pr. kənhaval; meaning: equal chief, from cyn (chief) + hafal (equal).

detailed pronunciation

c (k) = as in cool
y (ə) = a, as in about
h = as in have
a = as in sat
f (v) = as in very
a = as in sat
l = as in like

Cynhafal ab Argad was a 7th century saint of Llangynhafal. He is commemorated on [name_u]October[/name_u] 5th. In Bonedd Y [name_u]Saint[/name_u] (a Welsh genealogical manuscript detailing the lineages of early [name_f]British[/name_f] saints), Cynhafal is identified as a ‘Spear-thruster of Ynys Prydain and one of the three Bull-Chieftains’.

Although Llangynhafal is believed to have been named after [name_u]Saint[/name_u] Cynhafal, a more interesting story is often told. The story suggests that Cynhafal is a corruption of can (hundred) + afal (apple). This proposed meaning refers to an ecclesiastic who sent 100 apples, each containing a gold coin, to the parish bishop in an attempt to secure himself a job at the parish. However, as the parish was poor at this time, the story is regarded as nothing more than a tale.

5 Likes