Malcolm or Callum...

See the results of this poll: Callum or Malcolm? Same meaning different names…

Respondents: 36 (This poll is closed)

• Callum: 21 (58%)
  • Malcolm: 15 (42%)

I like [name]Malcolm[/name] but I love [name]Calum[/name], it’s my brother’s name and is seriously great. Also, I really only like it spelt with one L, which is actually the proper spelling.

Curious. Nameberry lists [name]Calum[/name] (one l) as a variation of [name]Callum[/name].

Thanks for your response!

Yeah, I have to go with [name]Callum[/name], too. [name]Malcolm[/name] has always seemed a little awkward to me. [name]Callum[/name] is a much easier name to say and the associations are much better. For some reason, I just picture an easy-going, happy [name]Callum[/name] vs. a high-strung bratty [name]Malcolm[/name]. Maybe that’s just me, but I think [name]Cal[/name] is a winner. :slight_smile:

[name]Callum[/name] seems like the much trendier option to me. I’d also say that it’s feeling slightly dated. 5 or 6 years back, a whole bunch of people I know (in [name]Canada[/name]) either picked this for a child or seriously considered using it. Weirdly enough, I know two young sibsets with both a [name]Callum[/name] AND a [name]Liam[/name]. Anyhow, nobody in my circles talks about using it anymore.

hoping for more votes :slight_smile:

I voted [name]Malcolm[/name]. I think [name]Callum[/name] is a great name but it feels trendy (I know it is not). I think all the [name]Corbin[/name], [name]Colton[/name], [name]Collin[/name]…ect have really turned me off to a few C names.

I do love Clavin, [name]Conrad[/name] and [name]Cormac[/name] though! But I think [name]Malcolm[/name] is fab! I love the traditional plus quirky (quirky to me is less common but when you hear it on a child you wish you had thought of it).

Good [name]Luck[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Both[/name] are really nice. I like [name]Malcolm[/name] slightly more for two reasons 1) it looks better written down 2) I like M names in general. Sorry i cannot be of more help.

I love both, but I voted for [name]Malcolm[/name] because I can better see it with [name]Leo[/name] and your daughters’ names. :slight_smile:

I think they’re both great! :slight_smile:

Take care!

Thanks, everyone!
I actually like [name]Malcolm[/name] better than [name]Callum[/name] but I adore the nn [name]Cal[/name].
Can anyone think of a cool nn for [name]Malcolm[/name]? I heard that “[name]Mal[/name]” means “bad” in Spanish so that’s not great. My hubby, shockingly, suggested “[name]Mac[/name]”. What do you think of that?

Thanks all-
[name]Tara[/name]

Hey! Oh my gosh! I love [name]Mac[/name] for [name]Malcolm[/name]! :slight_smile: [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Calvin[/name]? That could be another “[name]Cal[/name]” source…

[name]LOVE[/name] [name]Mac[/name]! :slight_smile:

Take care!

I thought [name]Mac[/name] was kinda cute too!
I do like [name]Calvin[/name] but I really like the meaning of [name]Malcolm[/name] and [name]Callum[/name]. We’re Irish-Catholic and those names would reference our heritage and religion.

Thanks, as always, for your insight :slight_smile:

[name]Tara[/name]

Hey! Oh my gosh! I love [name]Mac[/name] for [name]Malcolm[/name]! :slight_smile: [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Calvin[/name]? That could be another “[name]Cal[/name]” source…

[name]LOVE[/name] [name]Mac[/name]! :slight_smile:

Take care![/quote]

[name]Mac[/name], definitely!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Mac[/name]!

Yay! My hubby will feel so proud of himself!

Thanks zard!

[name]Tara[/name]

Thanks zard!

[name]Tara[/name][/quote]

He should feel proud! :slight_smile: I love [name]Malcolm[/name] and I think [name]Mac[/name] is so adorable but I can see it on all ages. [name]Love[/name] it.

Thanks zard!

[name]Tara[/name][/quote]

He should feel proud! :slight_smile: I love [name]Malcolm[/name] and I think [name]Mac[/name] is so adorable but I can see it on all ages. [name]Love[/name] it.[/quote]

I second that he should feel proud! Tell him to treat himself to some Nutella! :slight_smile:

If you were to go with [name]Malcolm[/name], you could use [name]Colm[/name] as a nickname - it’s used commonly as a first name in [name]Ireland[/name], and is pronounced ‘Col’um’ - phonetically very close to [name]Callum[/name] (which as you say is just another variation). Best of both worlds!

Also, ‘[name]Mal[/name]’ always makes me think of [name]Nathan[/name] Fillion’s character in Firefly - not a bad reference!

punkprincessphd, you’re some kind of genius!
I love [name]Colm[/name] as a nn but I always thought it was pronounced “colm” almost like “calm”. Knowing the correct pronunciation makes me like it much more.
Also, I think [name]Mal[/name] is a fine nn for [name]Malcolm[/name] but there have been others to point out that “mal” means “bad” in Spanish so I shouldn’t go there. I don’t walk around speaking Spanish so I don’t really feel that it applies to us so much.

Thank you so much for your reply and your ideas!

:wink: [name]Tara[/name]

[name]Glad[/name] you liked the suggestion, [name]Tara[/name] - both names were on our list for our daughter (had she been a boy). I think the hardest name situation is when you have 2 names you love that are so similar - in most cases, choosing one means letting go of the other. but if you can have your cake and eat it too…hmmm. cake :slight_smile: Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and the whole naming process.