Middle name for “Lil”

Brief background: Husband wants our daughters first name to honor his Mom [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]. Of course I can’t stand [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] and I do not care for [name_f]Lily[/name_f] or [name_f]Lilliana[/name_f]. No disrespect to you [name_f]Lily[/name_f] lovers out there. So I am putting together names that I like related to [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]. They may seem strange to you but I’m just trying to love my daughters name. OK end discussion…no he doesn’t want it as the middle name…

[name_f]Lil[/name_f] name I’ve come to love: [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] (yes like [name_f]Willa[/name_f] and [name_f]Villa[/name_f]. I’m not interested is spelling it [name_f]Lila[/name_f] because that’s “lie-luh”)

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Denise[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] “[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] Ru”
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] RaeLeen (combination of two family names on my side)

Also I am considering as a double first name the following (I haven’t discussed spelling with my Husband so please don’t worry about that)

[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_f]Alaina[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]-[name_f]Alaina[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_f]Alayna[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]-[name_u]Brooke[/name_u]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_u]Brooke[/name_u]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_f]Adeline[/name_f] ([name_m]Ad[/name_m]-uh-LINE)
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]-[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]-[name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]-[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]-[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_f]Denise[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]-[name_f]Denise[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_f]Madeline[/name_f] (Mad-uh-LINE)
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]-[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]

Thank you!

If you don’t love [name_f]Lily[/name_f], then I don’t think you should use it as part of a double barreled name. I would go for [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] instead. The spelling seems intuitive for the pronunciation you are looking for. Here are some other mn suggestions for [name_f]Lilla[/name_f]:

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Fawn[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Skye[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Winter[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Autumn[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]

2 Likes

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] is so sweet and beautiful! I love [name_f]Lilla[/name_f]. Maybe you might like [name_f]Lillia[/name_f]?

1 Like

I second the suggestion of [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]!

From the names you listed, I think [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] is darling (I prefer double names without the hyphen personally)

1 Like

I love [name_f]Lilla[/name_f]! There was a berry on here with a daughter named Lill@ Cl@re, and I always loved that combo! I think [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] “[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] Ru” is so sweet.

I also agree that if you don’t like [name_f]Lily[/name_f], don’t bother doing a double name. Especially since I think that’s far more likely to result in the second name being dropped and her just going by [name_f]Lily[/name_f], which it sounds like would bother you. I don’t think [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] would be as likely to end up turning into [name_f]Lily[/name_f] someday.

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] is a lovely name!

[name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_f]Jade[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_f]Ellen[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_u]Sky[/name_u]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_f]Belle[/name_f]

OR what about some other [name_f]Lil[/name_f] beginning names such as:

[name_f]Lilibet[/name_f]
Liletta
[name_f]Lilianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilibeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillia[/name_f]

3 Likes

If my son was a girl I was thinking [name_f]Lillia[/name_f]/[name_f]Lilia[/name_f]. However my niece who is two months younger than him is [name_f]Livia[/name_f] so I feel [name_f]Lillia[/name_f]/Lilila is out. Thank you for the suggestion though!

I prefer a hyphen too!

Thank you for your suggestions! I have considered [name_f]Lilliet[/name_f] but I’m really hoping to avoid [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and I feel that [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] would 9.99% guarantee no [name_f]Lily[/name_f].

I don’t know if this is an option as it doesn’t sound the same as [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], but [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] means lily so they would share a meaning and have the nns [name_f]Susie[/name_f], [name_f]Annie[/name_f], [name_f]Suki[/name_f], [name_f]Zuzu[/name_f] etc if that was a name you both liked.
Otherwise I think [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] is adorable! :slight_smile:

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] is an adorable name!
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] and [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] are stunning names. [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Denise[/name_f], [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] and [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] would be beautiful too.

What about [name_f]Dalila[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lila[/name_f]/[name_f]Lilla[/name_f]?
Have you thought about [name_f]Susanna[/name_f]/e(h) which means “lily”?

What about [name_f]Liliana[/name_f]?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m],
Thank you for your input. Unfortunately we have a [name_f]Susan[/name_f] and [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] on both sides of the family. But thank you for the suggestion.

1 Like

I really like the name [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] and I think you should go for it if you love it. Here’s a few other suggestions I found though : )

Hue means [name_f]Lily[/name_f] flower
[name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f] (might be far fetched)
Maylis means lily
[name_f]Lys[/name_f] means lily in [name_u]French[/name_u]
[name_u]Sierra[/name_u] (there is a type of lily called the [name_u]Sierra[/name_u] tiger lily)

For middle names I like both [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]. I hope this helps

1 Like

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] “[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] Ru” is just lovely anf i like the unexpected [name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u]. It sounds nice.
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you not care for [name_u]Lian[/name_u]?

As a [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] Cl@ire-[name_f]Helene[/name_f], I can tell you I love my names, but I can respect they are not your cup of tea. I avoided [name_f]Lily[/name_f] for the most part. I really only used it during pretend play as a kid. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though I think it is a sweet name it never suited me. I went by my initials growing up, pronounced as the name [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], and really nobody tried calling me [name_f]Lily[/name_f] for some reason, either as a kid or when I started using my full first name when I was 12.

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] is lovely and I think it will be mostly possible to avoid [name_f]Lily[/name_f], except if your daughter loves it.

1 Like

[name_f]Lillia[/name_f] is beautiful and I love it paired with [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] and [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] !

I know a [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] (she is around 11 now) who is adorable and never gets called [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. Oh and [name_f]Lilac[/name_f] ! I came back to add this one, inspired by the new blooms . So if you are still searching for suggestions - I will throw out that out one!

I would avoid the hyphenated [name_f]Lily[/name_f] name because I think it is unavoidable you will still get [name_f]Lily[/name_f]!

Best of luck !!

1 Like

I thought of LC intitials too because I like the sound! Also I like the idea of calling her “L” or “[name_f]Elle[/name_f].” Obviously the only problem with that is she won’t go by that in school with a lot of family because I won’t be her full name :frowning:

Is it pronounced “[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-in?” We pronounce [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] “[name_f]Lil[/name_f]-ee-in.” I was trying to make [name_f]Leanne[/name_f] work out in my mind but again I would feel awkward calling her name and then everywhere else she’s [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]…