Middle name for “Lil”

Brief background: Husband wants our daughters first name to honor his Mom [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]. Of course I can’t stand [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] and I do not care for [name_f]Lily[/name_f] or [name_f]Lilliana[/name_f]. No disrespect to you [name_f]Lily[/name_f] lovers out there. So I am putting together names that I like related to [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]. They may seem strange to you but I’m just trying to love my daughters name. OK end discussion…no he doesn’t want it as the middle name…

[name_f]Lil[/name_f] name I’ve come to love: [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] (yes like [name_f]Willa[/name_f] and [name_f]Villa[/name_f]. I’m not interested is spelling it [name_f]Lila[/name_f] because that’s “lie-luh”)

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Denise[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] “[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] Ru”
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] RaeLeen (combination of two family names on my side)

Also I am considering as a double first name the following (I haven’t discussed spelling with my Husband so please don’t worry about that)

[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_f]Alaina[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]-[name_f]Alaina[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_f]Alayna[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]-[name_u]Brooke[/name_u]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_u]Brooke[/name_u]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_f]Adeline[/name_f] ([name_m]Ad[/name_m]-uh-LINE)
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]-[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]-[name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]-[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]-[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_f]Denise[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]-[name_f]Denise[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_f]Madeline[/name_f] (Mad-uh-LINE)
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]-[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]

Thank you!

If you don’t love [name_f]Lily[/name_f], then I don’t think you should use it as part of a double barreled name. I would go for [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] instead. The spelling seems intuitive for the pronunciation you are looking for. Here are some other mn suggestions for [name_f]Lilla[/name_f]:

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Fawn[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Skye[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Winter[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Autumn[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]

2 Likes

I second the suggestion of [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]!

From the names you listed, I think [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] is darling (I prefer double names without the hyphen personally)

1 Like

I love [name_f]Lilla[/name_f]! There was a berry on here with a daughter named Lill@ Cl@re, and I always loved that combo! I think [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] “[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] Ru” is so sweet.

I also agree that if you don’t like [name_f]Lily[/name_f], don’t bother doing a double name. Especially since I think that’s far more likely to result in the second name being dropped and her just going by [name_f]Lily[/name_f], which it sounds like would bother you. I don’t think [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] would be as likely to end up turning into [name_f]Lily[/name_f] someday.

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] is a lovely name!

[name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_f]Jade[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_f]Ellen[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_u]Sky[/name_u]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_f]Belle[/name_f]

OR what about some other [name_f]Lil[/name_f] beginning names such as:

[name_f]Lilibet[/name_f]
Liletta
[name_f]Lilianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilibeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillia[/name_f]

3 Likes

If my son was a girl I was thinking [name_f]Lillia[/name_f]/[name_f]Lilia[/name_f]. However my niece who is two months younger than him is [name_f]Livia[/name_f] so I feel [name_f]Lillia[/name_f]/Lilila is out. Thank you for the suggestion though!

I prefer a hyphen too!

Thank you for your suggestions! I have considered [name_f]Lilliet[/name_f] but I’m really hoping to avoid [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and I feel that [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] would 9.99% guarantee no [name_f]Lily[/name_f].

I don’t know if this is an option as it doesn’t sound the same as [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], but [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] means lily so they would share a meaning and have the nns [name_f]Susie[/name_f], [name_f]Annie[/name_f], [name_f]Suki[/name_f], [name_f]Zuzu[/name_f] etc if that was a name you both liked.
Otherwise I think [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] is adorable! :slight_smile:

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] is an adorable name!
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] and [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] are stunning names. [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Denise[/name_f], [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] and [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] would be beautiful too.

What about [name_f]Dalila[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lila[/name_f]/[name_f]Lilla[/name_f]?
Have you thought about [name_f]Susanna[/name_f]/e(h) which means “lily”?

What about [name_f]Liliana[/name_f]?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m],
Thank you for your input. Unfortunately we have a [name_f]Susan[/name_f] and [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] on both sides of the family. But thank you for the suggestion.

1 Like

I really like the name [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] and I think you should go for it if you love it. Here’s a few other suggestions I found though : )

Hue means [name_f]Lily[/name_f] flower
[name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f] (might be far fetched)
Maylis means lily
[name_f]Lys[/name_f] means lily in [name_u]French[/name_u]
[name_u]Sierra[/name_u] (there is a type of lily called the [name_u]Sierra[/name_u] tiger lily)

For middle names I like both [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]. I hope this helps

1 Like

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] “[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] Ru” is just lovely anf i like the unexpected [name_f]Lily[/name_f]-[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u]. It sounds nice.
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you not care for [name_u]Lian[/name_u]?

As a [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] Cl@ire-[name_f]Helene[/name_f], I can tell you I love my names, but I can respect they are not your cup of tea. I avoided [name_f]Lily[/name_f] for the most part. I really only used it during pretend play as a kid. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though I think it is a sweet name it never suited me. I went by my initials growing up, pronounced as the name [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], and really nobody tried calling me [name_f]Lily[/name_f] for some reason, either as a kid or when I started using my full first name when I was 12.

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] is lovely and I think it will be mostly possible to avoid [name_f]Lily[/name_f], except if your daughter loves it.

1 Like

[name_f]Lillia[/name_f] is beautiful and I love it paired with [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] and [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] !

I know a [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] (she is around 11 now) who is adorable and never gets called [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. Oh and [name_f]Lilac[/name_f] ! I came back to add this one, inspired by the new blooms . So if you are still searching for suggestions - I will throw out that out one!

I would avoid the hyphenated [name_f]Lily[/name_f] name because I think it is unavoidable you will still get [name_f]Lily[/name_f]!

Best of luck !!

1 Like

I thought of LC intitials too because I like the sound! Also I like the idea of calling her “L” or “[name_f]Elle[/name_f].” Obviously the only problem with that is she won’t go by that in school with a lot of family because I won’t be her full name :frowning:

Is it pronounced “[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-in?” We pronounce [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] “[name_f]Lil[/name_f]-ee-in.” I was trying to make [name_f]Leanne[/name_f] work out in my mind but again I would feel awkward calling her name and then everywhere else she’s [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]…

I went by [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] in school and it wasn’t ever a problem. Whatever your kid wants to be called (and whatever you want them to be called initially when they’re young enough for you to have some control) they can go by in school.

I can’t deal with your family for you, though. :wink: