Middle Name for Sylvia/Sylvie

See the results of this poll: Best middle name combo?

Respondents: 23 (This poll is closed)

• Sylvia Christabel : 6 (26%)
  • Sylvia Tyne or Tine (pronounced with a long I) : 2 (9%)
  • Sylvia Christine : 12 (52%)
  • Sylvie Cairistiona (pron. care-is-chee-na): 3 (13%)

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Christiane[/name_f] ?

Or maybe [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Christine[/name_f]?

Those are the only variants of “[name_f]Christina[/name_f]” I can think of. Unless [name_f]Kristen[/name_f]/[name_f]Kirsten[/name_f] count.

I voted for [name_f]Christabel[/name_f].

I don’t think you’re pronouncing Cairistiona right… From what I know of Scots Gaelic it would be more like: kah-ris-TEE-(uh)-na. (kah like cat and never like care)

[name_f]Catriona[/name_f] is pronounced ‘kah-TREE-(uh)-na’ and they share an ‘iona’ ending.

The ‘uh’ is in brackets because it’s such a small, quick noise you can barely hear it.

I got the pronunciation in my poll from a scottish ex-pat here in the us. But the thread I linked to has a few more bits of input. I am not super concerned about pronunciation in the middle mostly wanted to note that it isn’t “tee-OH-na” at the end. And from what I have read the Gaelic pronunciation is a “ch” sound rather than a “t” sound. Oh and Mrs. [name_m]Anton[/name_m] thanks for the suggestions! [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Christine[/name_f] is an option in the poll :slight_smile:

I like [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Christine[/name_f]. [name_f]Christabel[/name_f] and Cairistriona seem extremely flowy and ultra feminine to me, but [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Christine[/name_f] is almost too lacy and historical, and not enough spunk? It’s not as spunky as [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f], anyhow. So in that case, possibly [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Tyne[/name_f] would be the best. I like both of them very much. [name_f]Tyne[/name_f] is spunkier; I like [name_f]Christine[/name_f] for the lacy, timeless feel of it with [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]!

Good luck!

I voted for [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Christine[/name_f], because I think [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Christabel[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Cairistiona are incredibly frilly, which is the opposite of what you want (for the record, I do love [name_f]Christabel[/name_f], but I think it’s ultra-romantic as a middle name). I don’t really like [name_f]Tine[/name_f] - all I can thing of is the tines on a fork, like prongs.

I know you said you mom hates her spelling, but I think [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] or [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] or even [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Lea[/name_f] would be a much spunkier, more charming combination.