Middle name help and opinion on Elena vs Olivia

Hello!

I’m 33 weeks and right now our top girl name is [name_f]Elena[/name_f]! We haven’t ruled out [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] though. Any thoughts or pros/cons when comparing the two?

We also need middle name help! Here is our current list but we are open to new ideas! (Our last name is [name_u]Scout[/name_u])

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] ruby
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] grace
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] hazel

Thanks so much!

I really like both names but prefer [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is pretty but has become somewhat plain to me because it is so popular.

Also something to consider is the pronunciation of [name_f]Elena[/name_f] you are going for I’ve heard it pronounced [name_f]Elle[/name_f]-lane-nah and [name_f]Elle[/name_f]-leh-nah/[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]-ah. If you are going for the former pronunciation it may be worth considering the spelling [name_f]Elaina[/name_f]. I also really like the nicknames [name_f]Elle[/name_f] and [name_f]Lainey[/name_f]. I also wanted to suggest the name [name_f]Alethea[/name_f] ([name_m]Ah[/name_m]-lay-thee-ah) if you are open to first name suggestions (it reminds me a lot of [name_f]Elena[/name_f]).

But since you only have two names on your list it may be the best decision to wait to meet her and see what feels right.

For middles with either pronunciation though I’d avoid [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], and [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] because I think it throws off the flow since the combos are very “L” heavy. From your list I like [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f].

For middles what about (keeping different sounds of [name_f]Elena[/name_f] in mind when making these recommendations):

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]

[name_f]Elaina[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Elaina[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_f]Elaina[/name_f] [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Elaina[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]

[name_f]Elaina[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] (last name) and [name_f]Elaina[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] (last name) are my favorites!

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] is lovely! [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is brilliant

I like [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] & [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] from your list :slight_smile:

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is way too popular for my taste, I’d choose [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. And I like all of your mn options, I don’t think you can go wrong there

I much prefer [name_f]Elena[/name_f] to [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]! Though [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is certainly a pretty name, it’s far too common, imho. I seem to hear it everywhere on girls from 2 months to 20 years of age.

I really love [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] from your list.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Miriam[/name_f]

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is gorgeous! Also, your last name is dreamy. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is pretty, but a bit bland, especially when compared with lively, elegant [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. Honestly, I like all of your middles except for [name_f]Grace[/name_f].

I like both, but I think I prefer [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. The main drawbacks that I can see are popularity for [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and pronunciation for [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. Ultimately, I think they’re both good names and you can’t really go wrong, it’s down to your personal preference. [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] is my favorite of your MN combos!

I love [name_f]Elena[/name_f]! I like it pronounced as both E-lane-uh and Uh-len-uh, but I do hear the former more often. I think it looks very classy and elegant and sweet. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is a nice name, but very very common in young children and babies right now (I work with kids and see it very often).

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], and [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] are my favourites of the name options you listed :slight_smile:

My 3 yo is [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]! We had some pronunciation issues at the beginning, but it didn’t last long. I love her name! No regrets here.

I’ve loved the name [name_f]Elena[/name_f] for a long time. I think it’s a gorgeous, versatile name that wears well in many languages, lends itself to cute and varied nicknames, and feels feminine without the frills.

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is pretty too, but I’ve met/known 14 or so in my life. There were four on my floor my freshman year of college. Two of them were my roommates lol I’ve also had friends (all different ages) who know lots of Olivias. So while I think it’s also beautiful, wears well, and is feminine without the frills, I’ve just heard it one too many times. It feels worn to me.

Congrats on your baby naming process and best of luck!

Congratulations : )

Go with [name_f]Elena[/name_f]! [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is nice but so boring honestly every little girl in the world is called [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] it’s just so predictable. My boyfriend’s brother had a baby [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and her name is [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f], my sister’s friend had an [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] in [name_f]February[/name_f] & my hairdresser had an [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] in [name_u]March[/name_u]. That’s particularly an [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] born every month it’s so incredibly popular whereas [name_f]Elena[/name_f] is refreshing and sweet. She’ll standout in a sea of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]’s.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] but does sound like a tongue twister with [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. The flow is just off.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] - this is so pretty love [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] with [name_f]Elena[/name_f] really elegant.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] - this is a nice combination prefer [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] though.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] - [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] is a sweet biblical name and I do like it with [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. This is just a sweet combination understated and pretty.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] - I like [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] but I don’t think it works with [name_f]Elena[/name_f] the name feels like a mouthful.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] - [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is a lovely name but very predictable I think [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Elena[/name_f] would be more refreshing! [name_f]Grace[/name_f] just feels like a filler name and unless it has personal significance I wouldn’t use as a middle name.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] - the winning combo! [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is gorgeous really lovely retro choice and sounds perfect with [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. Very pretty

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] for the win!

I prefer [name_f]Elena[/name_f] to [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is lovely but for me the popularity is a big drawback. [name_f]Elena[/name_f] is less popular and seems more distinctive to me. From your list, I really like [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. I would also suggest [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f].

I prefer [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] - it seems to have more character to me than [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. I find [name_f]Elena[/name_f] rather bland.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

First of all, what a cute last name you have to work with! [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_u]Scout[/name_u] is darling. I personally think that [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is beautiful, but it’s sooo popular. [name_f]Elena[/name_f] is quite popular too, but slightly less likely to be one of three in a pre-school class than [name_f]Olivia[/name_f].

Here are my thoughts on your mn list:

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]-I like [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], & these names make sense together.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]-Ooh, pretty. I love [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. I kind of like [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] more, because they’re both Greek-ish.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Madeline[/name_f]-Also pretty, but I still like [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] more.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]-Aw, I love [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]. [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] is sweet, but [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] [name_u]Scout[/name_u] is a bit choppy.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] ruby-This is sweet. I don’t know though. If we’re being nit-picky to narrow it down, I feel like a longer mn flows better.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] grace-This is fine, but super over done as a mn. It doesn’t seem very special.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] hazel-[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is nice in general, but I don’t love the flow of [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]. Too many long ‘a’ & ‘l’ sounds.

A few more ideas:

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f]

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Calliope[/name_f]

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Gloria[/name_f]

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Miriam[/name_f]

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]-hey, you could use both of your favorites!

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] Ottiile

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Romilly[/name_f]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

I love [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] for you, it’s so enchanting! It flows beautifully with your surname as well, which is always a plus!

1 Like

My name is [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and I absolutely love it. My parents almost called me [name_f]Elena[/name_f] funnily enough (eh-leh-nuh). I’m 27 and popularity was never an issue for me because there were very few other [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]'s. It is a shame that it has become so popular because I do think it’s lost a bit ot it’s sparkle in recent years because of all the little [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]'s around…

I personally would use [name_f]Elena[/name_f] because of sheer popularity but I think the names are equally beautiful.

From your list I would use [name_f]Elena[/name_f] Jospehine but I think…

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Sara[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]

When I first glimpsed your post, I immediately thought Olivia, but upon further examination, I like Elena better. Are you pronouncing it Uh-LAY-nuh or EH-leh-nuh? I personally think that EH-leh-nuh is wayyyy prettier, but that could be because I know a few people named Uh-LAY-nuh, none of whom I particularly like. Nicknames if you’re pronouncing it Uh-LAY-nuh:
Elena Josephine- favorite from your list
Elena Penelope- second favorite
A lot of MichelleM’s ideas are great:
Elena Amelie
Elena Calliope
Elena Ottilie (I am OBSESSED with this name)
Elena Rosalie
Elena Romilly
Also names like:
Elena Mallory
Elena Lily
Elena Hope

If you’re pronouncing it EH-leh-nuh:
Most of the names from your list are great.
Elena Penelope- Some could view it as a sort of tongue ttwister, but I really like the repeating sounds.
Elena Josephine- If you’re pronouncing it EH-leh-nuh, Josephine sounds kind of old-fashioned next to it, which is good if you want it to sound traditional but I don’t like it as much
Elena Madeline- M is such a hard sound after the super soft Elena, but it still sounds really nice.
Elena Ruth- this is probably my least favorite from your list.
Elena Grace- I agree, this sounds kind of like a filler middle name, though it’s still pretty.
Elena Ruby- I don’t think this flows very well
Elena Hazel- I also don’t think this flows very well, though I love the name Hazel
Others if pronouncing it EH-leh-nuh:
Some of the same as above, like:
Elena Lily
Elena Ottilie
Elena Rosalie
Elena Hope
Also:
Elena Rosamond
Elena Marie
Elena Lee (I LOVE THIS)
Elena Ione (ee-oh-nee)
Elena Sky
Elena Wren
Elena Kate (Or Elena Katherine)

Elena (Eh-leh-nuh) Felicity would also sound great

Elena Penelope from your list but I also love Elena Isabella or Elena Caroline :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: