Mild regret over spelling of baby name

So I had a baby girl a few months ago, [name_f]Violette[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]. We named her [name_f]Violette[/name_f] because 1. we loved the name and 2. we fell in love with the nickname [name_f]Lettie[/name_f].

We thought the spelling of [name_f]Violette[/name_f]/[name_f]Violet[/name_f] would make [name_f]Lettie[/name_f] make more sense as a nn. The thing is, neither of us particularly [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] the spelling of [name_f]Violette[/name_f] but we do love [name_f]Violet[/name_f]. Are we being silly? I feel like we’re being silly haha but every time I write out her full name I have a tinge of regret. Is it too late to change it to [name_f]Violet[/name_f] instead?

Also, is [name_f]Violette[/name_f] a too complicated spelling for school kids? HELP! I thought the naming drama was over, oh god does it ever end haha?

While I think [name_f]Violette[/name_f] is very pretty, she will probably have to correct peoples’ spelling a lot. Not a huge deal, but if you can avoid it, then why not? Honestly this might just be me, but when I first saw the name I was a little confused about whether it’s pronounced the same as [name_f]Violet[/name_f] or whether there is more emphasis on the last syllable, like Vio-LETTE. I think [name_f]Lettie[/name_f] works fine as a nn for [name_f]Violet[/name_f], and since you like that spelling better I would probably change it if I were you. However, I still think [name_f]Violette[/name_f] is pretty and I don’t think you can go wrong either way. Not sure if that helps at all but those are my thoughts!

I actually don’t think it’s such a big deal to change it. It’s still the same name (just with a different spelling). If you really do regret it, then better to change it while she’s so young. That being said, I think [name_f]Violette[/name_f] is lovely, and it won’t be too hard for school kids to spell!

Oh, just change it! No sweat; it’ll be like it never happened.

Life’s too short to feels tinges of regret every time you write out her name, and you’re going to do that a lot.

I think it might depend on how you say [name_f]Violette[/name_f]. If it’s the same as [name_f]Violet[/name_f], or even maybe Vy-oh-LETTE (emphasis on the final syllable), then maybe changing it to [name_f]Violet[/name_f] might be a good idea. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] still has -let at the end so nn [name_f]Lettie[/name_f] definitely wouldn’t be a stretch even if it’s said slightly differently. But if you say VEE-oh-lette (which is how I say it with that spelling) I wouldn’t change the spelling, as they’re clearly different variations of a name (I think).

I don’t know how helpful that was, but good luck! You’re daughter has a really lovely name :).

Change it! It will happen seamlessly now when she so young and I agree with [name_u]JoJo[/name_u], life is too short to regret the spelling!

I think [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is the more intuitive spelling and will cause less confusion. [name_f]Violette[/name_f] looks like it could be vie-o-lette with emphasis on the last syllable. I think [name_f]Lettie[/name_f] works great with [name_f]Violet[/name_f]!

Change it! The one you prefer still works with your chosen nickname and will be so much easier for her and you down the line. If it’s giving you trouble it’s still fine to change it!

I agree that if you regret it, change it. But I think the spelling [name_f]Violette[/name_f] is so gorgeous. I prefer it to [name_f]Violet[/name_f].

Both are lovely. If you want the pronunciation to be “violet” like the word, I’d go with [name_f]Violet[/name_f]. I’d say vee-oh-LET for [name_f]Violette[/name_f] as others have commented.

I would change it! I also prefer [name_f]Violet[/name_f] to [name_f]Violette[/name_f] because it is the way I would instinctively write it down. Since the sound of the name won’t change it won’t be a big thing. If you are going to do it I think the sooner you do it the better.

I agree with the others. I pronounce [name_f]Violette[/name_f] as VEE-o-let and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] as Vye-ah-let. If you’re already pronouncing [name_f]Violette[/name_f] as [name_f]Violet[/name_f], I’d definitely change the spelling. And you can still call a [name_f]Violet[/name_f] by the nn [name_f]Lettie[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

Dude- CHANGE IT. She’s young- no one cares. The original spelling is clearly too annoying for you and it’s the same name so who cares?

Change it.

You get [name_f]Lettie[/name_f] either way!

[name_f]Violette[/name_f]'s a [name_m]French[/name_m] name so people will probably pronounce it the [name_m]French[/name_m] way. Of course, there’s no “rule” but it may be a lifetime of correcting people. If you like the English spelling better and you pronounce it the English way, I would change it while she’s still tiny.

If you’re this concerned, change it! While I’d be concerned what others would think if I changed my baby’s name, I’d care much more how I felt about it. I feel like as time goes on, baby [name_f]Violette[/name_f]/[name_f]Violet[/name_f] will certainly be able to pick up on the impression that you’re not happy with her name, and I would hate for my child to pick up on that. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] takes you to your happy place, no? And [name_f]Violet[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lettie[/name_f] certainly works (plus, [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] is gorgeous!). I would change it.

While [name_f]Violette[/name_f] does emphasize the “let” part of the name, I’m not sure it makes it any more obvious to use a nn? Honestly, [name_f]Violette[/name_f] seems more like a standalone name with no nn, but [name_f]Violet[/name_f] I could see getting [name_f]Vi[/name_f], [name_f]Vivi[/name_f], [name_f]Lettie[/name_f], etc.

As for [name_f]Violette[/name_f] being complicated in school, I don’t know if it would be, but as an adult it’s complicated to me! I’m attempting to learn [name_m]French[/name_m] (and am probably conversational in written [name_m]French[/name_m]–not so good at speaking/listening, haha), so I know that [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Violette[/name_f] are not said the same, but I feel that people (or, at least Americans) would be keen to say it just like [name_f]Violet[/name_f], and that would irk me, lol. So I never know, when I see it, if people are using the actual [name_m]French[/name_m] pronunciation (vee-oh-LET) or the English pronunciation of [name_f]Violet[/name_f] (VYE-let/VYE-oh-let/VYE-ah-let, depending on the region/etc.). I feel like [name_f]Violet[/name_f]'s much simpler, and though I love the [name_m]French[/name_m] language, I much prefer the English [name_f]Violet[/name_f] to the [name_m]French[/name_m] [name_f]Violette[/name_f] (in pronunciation), anyhow. :wink:

@charlottechar as others have said I think that you should just change the spelling. I think you have worried enough over your little one’s name ( am I correct in thinking you had doubts just after she was born?), now relax, she has a beautiful name and however you spell it she has a family that love her and that is all that matters! Good luck and congratulations on little [name_f]Violet/name_f [name_f]Joy[/name_f].

I don’t think it’s fine to change it if that’s what you really want to do. She’s only a few months old. However, I say [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Violette[/name_f] different ways. [name_f]Violet[/name_f]: VIY-let and [name_f]Violette[/name_f]: viy-oh-LET.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU everyone!! You have convinced me (and my husband). We’re going to look into getting it changed in the next few weeks. Also, I had no idea [name_f]Violette[/name_f] could be pronounced Vee-oh-let (which makes me feel slightly ignorant but oh well haha). I don’t think I can ever get over the mild ‘oops should have gone with [name_f]Violet[/name_f]’ feeling. She’s so little and like you all said it’s the same name pronounced [name_f]Vi[/name_f]-oh-let. And it’ll (maybe) be a funny story to tell her.

Again, thank you to all of you (I’d reply individually but there’s so many of you). I think I’d have still been obsessing over this without your opinions haha. Now to go and tell family, oh boy.

Aw so glad you & dh were able to decide together to change it! Such a simple switch & lovely name & nickname!

I’m glad you are changing it!

Congrats on making a decision, and you have given your daughter a beautiful name (either way). :slight_smile: