Milena

Wondering how others feel about the Czech name [name]Milena[/name]. I love the meaning (“love, warmth, grace”), and while neither DH nor I is Czech, we both have strong ties to Prague.

I love the meaning as well! I think it is a lovely name. Not exactly my style, but gorgeous just the same.

[name]Milena[/name] is beautiful! I like the nickname [name]Mila[/name] as well.

This is a really wonderful name. :slight_smile:

[name]Milena[/name] is recognized name is many countries outside besides Czech (Russian, Bulgarian, Slovene, Serbian, Slovak, Croatian, Macedonian, Polish, Italian, Hungarian, Ukrainian). The name came to [name]Italy[/name] when [name]Vittorio[/name] [name]Emanuele[/name] III married [name]Elena[/name] of Montenegro, whose mother was [name]Milena[/name] Vukotić, the [name]Queen[/name] of Montenegro. A town in [name]Sicily[/name] was named in honor of [name]Queen[/name] [name]Milena[/name] and the oldest daughter of [name]Vittorio[/name] and [name]Elena[/name] was [name]Yolanda[/name] [name]Margherita[/name] [name]Milena[/name] [name]Elisabetta[/name] [name]Romana[/name] [name]Maria[/name].

As if you couldn’t tell, I like this name a lot and endorse its use highly.

[name]Love[/name] the name and I think it crosses cultures easily,much the same as a lot of French and Italian names do. Use it if you love it!

I think it is a really beautiful name. I know two Milenas, one in her 40s and another probably 15 and they are not Czech either and they both wear the name well :slight_smile:

I really like [name]Milena[/name]! I love the nn [name]Mila[/name]! It’s very pretty.

I know a Bulgarian [name]Milena[/name] and a few Polish Milenas…I truly love the name and think it’s one of those great names that crosses cultures beautifully – works in many languages and very approachable pronounciation-wise. [name]Love[/name]!

[name]Love[/name] this name! My DH and I are actually using [name]Melina[/name] (e instead of i) for our baby if it’s a girl. His grandmother is named [name]Melina[/name] and is a full-blooded Italian :slight_smile: We are going to use the nickname [name]Mia[/name] :slight_smile:

I think its a great name and like someone else said, it’s recognized in many cultures so I think that makes it more universally usable.

It is on my list NN [name]Millie[/name]-I think the name is amazing. :slight_smile:

Thanks, all, for the feedback! [name]How[/name] about with the middle name [name]Irene[/name]? I posted not long ago with two other options: [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Gail[/name] and [name]Helen[/name] [name]Irene[/name] ([name]Irene[/name] honors my beloved grandmother, and [name]Gail[/name] honors women on DH’s side). Between these three, which do you prefer:

[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Gail[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] [name]Irene[/name]
[name]Milena[/name] [name]Irene[/name]

I absolutely love [name]Milena[/name]! It doesn’t really seem to fit my style but I love it so much. I am not crazy about [name]Mila[/name] as a nn–I do love [name]Mia[/name] and [name]Lena[/name] or [name]Leni[/name] for it, though!

Interestingly, it’s not really my style either, as you can tell by the other two names on our list, which are much more traditional.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Milena[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t love [name]Irene[/name] with it, as the I is pronounced differently (Mee-layna is the traditional way)

I dont love [name]Irene[/name] with it either, probably because it loses that universal bit I said before…the vowels in [name]Milena[/name] and [name]Irene[/name] are pronounced so differently.

I’d expect to see [name]Milena[/name] [name]Irena[/name] (ee-rain-uh) before [name]Milena[/name] [name]Irene[/name]…but that really sounds repetitive!

Not crazy about [name]Milena[/name] [name]Irene[/name], but [name]Milena[/name] [name]Gail[/name] could be cute!

I agree that [name]Milena[/name] [name]Gail[/name] would be pretty

I love it! The Czech Republic has a special place in my heart, as well as Prague. The meaning couldn’t get better. But I’m having the hardest time figuring out how to pronounce it since there are many ways possible. Which is the most common pronunciation?