Mimosa

Hi!

My husband and I are hopefully TTC within 6 months.

For a year and a half my husbands favourite girl name (and only one he loves) is Mimosa. He met a girl at a music festival that had the name and he thought it was the best he’d ever heard. To him it sounds like a gypsy name.

No matter how often I drop hints about Edith, Dovie etc. he is still so set on Mimosa! At first he wanted to name one of his pet chickens Mimosa - but I hated it so much I wouldn’t allow it. All I could hear was Samosa - like the (delicious) Indian pastries! But time has passed and it has grown on me, but I still have my doubts. I have done some research too - Mimosa is a tree and has yellow flowers. It is also the name of a star in the Southern Cross (very apt as we are Australian). And I have seen on a name blog that it was used in the UK in Edwardian times (although how often I dont know).

Although naming our own child is likely many months off - I am asking for your opinions on the name Mimosa. I have thought of a cute nickname - Mosie.

If my husband still adores it I would of course let him use it for a middle name. But he is quite stubborn. :slight_smile: So - do you think it could be a reasonable first name?

Thank you!!

I personally don’t care for it, however I do think the nn [name]Mosie[/name] is cute. If it has no bad associations and you come to love it fully, I say go for it. It would make a great, unusual middle name choice [name]IMO[/name] and if you don’t fully love it/still have doubts about it being a first name then you can always move it to the mn spot.

It’s a cocktail: champagne and orange juice.

I like the tree but Mimosas are Acacias and I really prefer the name [name]Acacia[/name] to [name]Mimosa[/name]. Maybe partly because its not a drink.

Yeah, the drink thing is probably somewhat annoying. Although there are plenty of Brandys and Champagnes out there and others as well, and [name]Mimosa[/name] is prettier than those, as well as a flower!

I think Mimsy, [name]Mia[/name], or [name]Mimi[/name] could be cute nn’s as well.

Does he know its a cocktail and still want to use it? Can he be persuaded to put it in the middle?

[name]Mim[/name] would also be a cute nickname, but [name]Mosie[/name] is too! I don’t know how I would feel about naming my baby something that is so easily identified with an alcoholic beverage though.

It sounds lovely, however, and your baby girl is bound to shape the way you think about her name. When you think of [name]Mimosa[/name], you won’t be thinking of a tropical cocktail, but rather your baby’s eyelashes, her tiny fingers, and the fuzz on her head.

I think the star in the southern cross connection is a really beautiful, poetic one. For that reason alone, I think you should go for it!

Thank you for your replies.

The cocktail - ah yes. I’d never heard of it before. Well when I did my initial internet search of just the word ‘[name]Mimosa[/name]’ from all the web - it came up with the cocktail first. But when I searched pages just from Australia - the cocktail didn’t come up for a while. [name]Even[/name] when I typed in ‘mimosa cocktail’ it showed me a page of cocktail dresses. So maybe it’s not called that over here - or I just don’t go out to bars enough :slight_smile:

The nickname [name]Mim[/name] is a nice one too - thanks for suggesting!

emmybee - your comment is just adorable. Really beautiful and has given me faith in whatever our name choice may be. Thank you so much!

[name]Mimosa[/name] could be a cute mn.

The beverage is pretty popular at brunch spots here in nyc so that’s the first thing that comes to mind. Of course the tree gives it another frame of reference but to me it’s like naming a girl [name]Brandy[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] or [name]Midori[/name].

Yeah, I’d only put [name]Mimosa[/name] in the middle.

~[name]Jasmine[/name]

I love alcohol and all, but I would still hesitate to use the name [name]Mimosa[/name]. If it’s not an issue in Australia, the name could be okay. I like the other associations (tree and star), and it sounds kind of pretty. But I don’t care for the nicknames, like [name]Mimi[/name] and [name]Mosie[/name]. Overall, I’m not a fan of the name. Maybe I can’t get past the beverage thing.

The drink’s called a [name]Mimosa[/name] here in [name]Sydney[/name], I don’t know what they call it in [name]Melbourne[/name]. Of course my husband used to be a bartender. So that might be why I think of it more.

I like [name]Mim[/name] though and that makes it cuter to me.

I think of alcohol and the man I work with, science teacher, told me that a [name]Mimosa[/name] is a killing plant that encroaches on it’s environment and kills other trees.

I don’t like it as a first name as all (though I will admit that Mimzy or [name]Mim[/name] would be cute but you can get those from other names) but I would think it was an interesting middle name.

I’m afraid I just can’t get around the connection to the drink. Its a pretty classy drink as far as it goes, but I think having a name associated with alcohol generally makes it look like the wearer is from a lower-class background. I’m sorry to put it so bluntly, but I really would advise against it.

All I can think of is the cocktail. It’d probably be a better name for an orange cat.

Oh my lord Mimzy is adorable- my friend had an aunt who lived with her sister and their names were [name]Minnie[/name] and [name]Mary[/name]- they never married and just were best friends so that name is just so sweet to me…I love [name]Mim[/name] or [name]Min[/name] names and if no one knows what a mimosa is in your area then go for it…

it’s pretty but i keep thinking of the drink, which makes it sound really frivolous - like you guys are bartenders or alcoholics naming your kid after your favorite cocktail or something. i’d keep it in the middle.

If mimosa isn’t a commonly known cocktail in Australia then I don’t see that being a huge deal but I will say that if she ever visited the United States, or at least the areas I’ve lived in, [name]Mimosa[/name] would get very strange looks. I can only see it as a (delicious!) mixed drink and that is what I imagine the people I know seeing it as as well. Maybe that says more about my friends and I, though…

I’m Australian and I’m afraid my first association is with the cocktail. I think if you must use it then it would be best in the middle.

[name]Mimosa[/name] makes me think of the alcoholic beverage, so that’s enough for me to say don’t use it since it could lead to teasing in her later years…

Mmm brunch…sorry got distracted by fizzy goodness. I definitely wouldn’t use it as a fn.

Edited for privacy.