Missy...Do you agree?

Be honest with this.

When I search the name [name]Missy[/name] on this site they say that [name]Missy[/name] only works until your daughter is six. I do not agree AT ALL, and I dont believe thats a nice thing to put on there because I know two Missys and one is over thirty. Her name has worked for her her whole life. I also know a [name]Missy[/name] who is my age and nobody makes fun of her name. I was even thinking of naming my future daughter [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Missy[/name] or a second daughter [name]Missy[/name]. I do not agree and please dont say that im trying to offend because I am honestly not I just feel it should be changed because its not fair to people who are actually named [name]Missy[/name].

I just want to know if you agree with the description they give for the name [name]Missy[/name], and if you believe it should be changed.

I must say, I’m on nameberry’s side with this one. I met a [name]Missy[/name] in her twenties once, and I just felt incredibly condescending calling her by her given name. My father called my sister and I (and now my neices) [name]Missy[/name] as a term of endearment when we were little, so to me it’s on the same level as sweetie or princess. I totally understand where they’re coming from. But there are a lot of descriptions of names on nameberry that I don’t agree with, but when it comes down to it, it’s just an opinion. I would never recommend using [name]Missy[/name], but if you really love it, it’s your kid. One opinion shouldn’t really matter, even if it is from an expert.

Yeah I’m definitely on nameberrys side here. I kind of feel like you’re joking, actually. Nameberry states negative opinions about tons of names. [name]Honesty[/name] is how [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] operate. As [name]Daisy[/name] said, [name]Missy[/name] is like a term of endearment, it’s not a proper name. I would feel really awkward calling someone older than me [name]Missy[/name]. And if you name your daughters [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Missy[/name]? [name]Missy[/name] is going to be pretty ticked off.

I’ve not actually heard of [name]Missy[/name] as a given name - I’ve only heard it as a nickname for [name]Melissa[/name]. A girl I went to high school with was named [name]Melissa[/name], which is what I called her, but about four of her closest friends called her [name]Missy[/name]. To me, it’s on the same level as maybe [name]Sadie[/name] or [name]Maisie[/name], neither of which I see “aging well,” so to speak, so I guess I can’t really give a definite answer here. On the one hand, [name]Missy[/name] feels kind of modern and fresh to me, so maybe I could see it on a teenager or something - well, I have seen it on a teenager, as described above. But, on the other hand, I agree with the above posters in that [name]Missy[/name], to me, is very much a term of endearment or a way of referring to a young girl, as in, “Hey there, [name]Missy[/name], what’s going on?” or “You better go clean up your room right now, little [name]Missy[/name],” if you know what I mean. I’ve heard many a parent call their daughters Miss or [name]Missy[/name], so sometimes it doesn’t feel quite like a name to me. Okay, I feel like I’ve gotten off the main point of this question, so I’m just going to stop now. Have a lovely night!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I’ve come across some name descriptions on Nameberry that I don’t completely agree with, too, but in my opinion, like daisy451 said, it’s not that big a deal. I just have a different taste in names than a lot of people. My sister bashes my favorite names enough that I don’t mind when other people do it anymore, either. :slight_smile:
I kinda like the name [name]Missy[/name], to be honest. Not really my style, but it’s cute. It does seem a little young and nickname-y, but I think it could work on an adult too. If it’s on the right person, it could be very pretty. Have you heard of the [name]Love[/name] Comes Softly series by [name]Janette[/name] Oke? My mom is really into them. One of the main characters is named [name]Missy[/name]- she was played by [name]January[/name] [name]Jones[/name] in one of the TV movies, so that’s who comes to mind when I think of the name.
I really don’t think it’s a huge issue, or that you should let it bug you too much. If you love the name, that’s great! There will always be people who dislike it (it’s that way for every name out there), but that shouldn’t stop you from using it. :slight_smile:
[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

I have to agree with nameberry. In my family, [name]Missy[/name] is a term of endearment, and naming a child that would be like naming a baby “[name]Sugar[/name] Pie.” But in this case, I don’t see why you can’t eat your sugar pie and have it too. Why not go with lemon’s hidden suggestion and name your daughter [name]Melissa[/name] (or anything else you like) and call her [name]Missy[/name]? Then she has a choice. If she wants to stick with [name]Missy[/name] her whole life, she can. But you will have made it easy for her to grow out of that, if that is the more comfortable path.

Did think of one example in defense of [name]Missy[/name]. On Big Band [name]Theory[/name][name]Sheldon[/name]'s sexy, voluptuous (and rarely seen) twin is a [name]Missy[/name]. It works – on a gorgeous sitcom character from [name]Texas[/name] with big boobs. Okay. So maybe it’s not a good defense after all. It is hard (for me) to imagine a mom named [name]Missy[/name] or a CEO named [name]Missy[/name] or a professor named [name]Missy[/name]. And she’ll no doubt grow up to be something along those lines.

Hmmmm. I’m kinda of two minds about this.

On the one hand [name]Missy[/name] reminds me of [name]Missy[/name] Higgins and [name]Missy[/name] [name]Elliott[/name], both seem to have careers that haven’t been hindered by their names and are definitely over six. The image of them makes me think of [name]Missy[/name] as a strong name with lots of personality. However those Missys are both short for [name]Melissa[/name]…

Then on the other hand, it does seem like a term of endearment more than a name to me. My aunt has always called me [name]Missy[/name], when I was younger it was [name]Missy[/name] Moo so I think of that also.

I guess in the end I disagree with NB on this one because I can see it working past a six-year-old…but in my mind it doesn’t really age past teenager. I’d put it in the same category as [name]Honey[/name] or Sweetheart, when used as a middle name it’s cute. [name]Just[/name] like [name]Jamie[/name] [name]Oliver[/name]'s [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Honey[/name] or [name]Tobey[/name] [name]Maguire[/name]'s [name]Ruby[/name] Sweetheart, I think your [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Missy[/name] would be darling:)

• [name]Charlie[/name]

I know a [name]Missy[/name] and she’s about ten now, she wears her name really well!
Ok ok, my dogs name is [name]Missy[/name] :lol: :mrgreen: !

I really love the name as a nickname, or a dogs name. I think its… different if a real person wears it as a full name. Its an adorably nickname like [name]Sadie[/name] or [name]Abby[/name] or [name]Maddie[/name] but i’d never name my daughter one of these names for full.

I have to agree with Nameberry. I think [name]Missy[/name] is more similar to Sweetie or [name]Baby[/name] than to nicknames like [name]Abby[/name] or [name]Maisie[/name]. Having said that, I wouldn’t mind if, say, my husband or mom called me Sweetie from time to time, but if someone called me [name]Missy[/name] I would be insulted.

There’s just something about [name]Missy[/name] that sounds so condescending to me. I guess it’s different if that’s your given name, but I can’t imagine a strong, successful woman being named [name]Missy[/name]. To me, naming your child [name]Missy[/name] is like telling her to sit there and look pretty but not to think or say too much. Okay I’m sure that’s going to far, but apparently I have strong feelings against this name. It also reminds me of [name]Misty[/name], which I also… dislike.

If you really want to call your child [name]Missy[/name] while she’s little, I really hope you’ll use it as a middle name instead of a first! Or name her [name]Melissa[/name], as PPs have suggested. I’m glad that [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] tell it like it is with these names because there are some that should be used with extreme caution, if at all, and I think [name]Missy[/name] is one of them! Sorry to sound harsh, just giving my honest opinion!

Yikes! All I can think of with this name is that when I was being a brat (as a child) my mom would call me [name]Little[/name] [name]Missy[/name]. It was not a good thing, lol. I can’t picture this as a full name on an adult. But I agree with the other posters that it’s fine as a nickname.

[name]Missy[/name] works for any age. I like it actually. You could turn that name into a cool theme liked family. Your son could be [name]Guy[/name] or [name]Man[/name] or Sir and your daugther could be [name]Missy[/name].

There is an actress by the name of [name]Missy[/name] Peregrym and it does not hinder her at all. Its a pretty name and it isn’t any different than calling [name]Abby[/name] or [name]Gabby[/name] or [name]Millie[/name] and so one. [name]Missy[/name] is a very pretty name and could work forever. You could hyphenate it too.

[name]Missy[/name]- [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Missy[/name]- [name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Missy[/name]- [name]Anna[/name]
[name]Missy[/name]- [name]Honora[/name]…

Wait…are you serious or sarcastic? Are you actually advocating that someone name their children [name]Man[/name] and [name]Missy[/name]!!!

[name]Missy[/name] is a nickname like [name]Baby[/name] or [name]Dolly[/name]. It’s like on the intro to Dirty Dancing. “It was a time when everyone called me [name]Baby[/name], and it didn’t occur to me to mind.” It might seem cute now, but no grown-up woman with a real life will appreciate it. It also reminds me of the “[name]Missy[/name]” section at low-end department stores.

I think it is important to note that all of the famous [name]Missy[/name]'s being brought up on this thread - [name]Missy[/name] [name]Elliott[/name], [name]Missy[/name] Higgins, and [name]Missy[/name] Peregrym - are all actually [name]Melissa[/name]'s. To be specific, [name]Missy[/name] “Misdemeanor” [name]Elliott[/name] was born [name]Melissa[/name] Arnette [name]Elliott[/name], [name]Missy[/name] Higgins was born [name]Melissa[/name] [name]Morrison[/name] Higgins, and [name]Missy[/name] Peregrym was born [name]Melissa[/name] Peregrym. Granted, they all go by [name]Missy[/name] nowadays, but they do have [name]Melissa[/name] to fall back on, which I think is a good thing.

And, I did actually just do some research into ‘[name]Love[/name] Comes Softly’ after remembering that I’d seen it one day on TV. In the first movie, ‘[name]Love[/name] Comes Softly,’ [name]Missy[/name] [name]Davis[/name] ([name]Skye[/name] McCole Bartusiak) is a young child, and her “new Mama,” [name]Marty[/name], is played by [name]Katherine[/name] Heigl. In the second movie, '[name]Love[/name]‘s Enduring [name]Promise[/name],’ [name]Missy[/name] [name]Davis[/name] is a teen played by [name]January[/name] [name]Jones[/name]. I don’t know anything about the third movie…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

PS I do think [name]Missy[/name] can work as a nickname, usually for [name]Melissa[/name], but for really any name, considering many young girls are called [name]Missy[/name]. If you love [name]Missy[/name], use [name]Missy[/name]! Good luck!

I was just going to comment on the fact that the famous Missys being mentioned are not Missys by birth, but [name]Lemon[/name] beat me to it :slight_smile: My best friend’s name is [name]Melissa[/name]. We call her [name]Missy[/name] on occasion, but we also call her [name]Melly[/name], [name]Messy[/name], [name]Melly[/name] Belly, Mels, Melbel, etc. She would never go by [name]Missy[/name] professionally or as a legitimate name. I don’t think it works as a full name. It’s much too diminutive and childish in my opinion. My mother has a friend that goes by [name]Missy[/name] amongst her friends (her real name is [name]Michelle[/name]) but professionally she goes by her full first name. It definitely works as a fun nickname, but I really have trouble seeing a grown woman answering to this name all the time. We call our sons “[name]Buddy[/name]” or “Mister” at home, but would never encourage them to use those as legit nicknames.

I know an adult [name]Missy[/name] (given name is [name]Melissa[/name]). I would generally agree with other posters when it comes to a first impression of the name- cute as a nickname, and in most cases would NOT work on an adult. When I was little if someone called me “[name]Missy[/name]” I would think I was in trouble. Now I’d find it demeaning. My friend however is used to it, it’s been the name she’s used all her life. And she definitely does not come across as a cute little girl- she plays drums, was on the wrestling team and is now a chef.

[name]How[/name] funny! I was actually just thinking about this literally the other day! I actually know a woman named [name]Missi[/name] Pyle, and it has worked for her too. She is now an accomplished actress! Her birth name is [name]Andrea[/name], but she has never gone by it…only [name]Missi[/name]. I’ve actually never heard one single person call her [name]Andrea[/name] either…lol.

She is such a sweet lady as well. Check out the links below for more info on her :slight_smile:

You know her? That’s awesome, I’ve been a fan of her since I saw her in [name]Galaxy[/name] [name]Quest[/name]! And I loved her in [name]Charlie[/name] and the Chocolate Factory. I never thought anything of her name, but [name]Missy[/name] is definitely a nickname to me. I would never advise anyone to give their child this as their full first name. Like others have said, it sounds very condescending to me. However, if someone chooses this as their nickname (for [name]Melissa[/name] or anything else) then that’s totally different, in my opinion.

I love [name]Missi[/name] Pyle! I was just talking about how I think she’s the best actress of our time! She’s so versatile, half the time I don’t even realize it’s her, she’s great!

You know her? That’s awesome, I’ve been a fan of her since I saw her in [name]Galaxy[/name] [name]Quest[/name]! And I loved her in [name]Charlie[/name] and the Chocolate Factory. I never thought anything of her name, but [name]Missy[/name] is definitely a nickname to me. I would never advise anyone to give their child this as their full first name. Like others have said, it sounds very condescending to me. However, if someone chooses this as their nickname (for [name]Melissa[/name] or anything else) then that’s totally different, in my opinion.[/quote]

Yeah, she is amazing. I personally wouldn’t name my child [name]Missy[/name] either. Still, I don’t really think it is nec a bad name per se. I think it is one of those names that works fine once you actually know someone with the name. Also down here in TN, people have tons of nicknamy names. Its not the norm, but I even know a few people actually named [name]Princess[/name], Sir, and etc. I wouldn’t use those names either, but I don’t see them as bad. I think they are actually kind of spunky, but they just aren’t my personal style. Also, I apologize if this message is full of errors…I’m on my cell phone :wink: