My Grandmother had the worst taste in names!

In my opinion my grandmother had horrid taste in names.

[name]Humphrey[/name] - Yuck!
[name]Joe[/name] - [name]Just[/name] [name]Joe[/name], not [name]Joseph[/name]…Why???
[name]Vernice[/name]- Double Yuck!
[name]Wanda[/name] - I hate it, it does not suit my sweet beautiful mother!

What do you think?

[name]Don[/name]'t like any but if she wasn’t going to call him [name]Joseph[/name] she did the right thing in naming him [name]Joe[/name].

[name]Joe[/name] is my favorite of the 4 but it bothers me because it just doesn’t seem to fit with the other names and it is not a full name to me. They names him after my great grandfather, [name]Joseph[/name]…LOL

I hate to say it but I have to agree with you. Your grandmother had bad taste in names! As for my grandmothers…

My dad’s mom, I feel, had great taste in names! My dad is [name]Dennis[/name] [name]Heath[/name] and my uncle is [name]Jared[/name] [name]Brian[/name]. [name]Both[/name] have great stories behind them, but I don’t want to write two essays so I’ll just leave it at ‘I love the names!’

My mom’s mom, I feel, had terrible taste in names. My mom is [name]Kerri[/name] [name]Renee[/name], while her sisters are [name]Kristi[/name] [name]LaRae[/name] and [name]Kimberli[/name] [name]Shanae[/name]. Note that all the first names begin with K and end with I while all the middle names rhyme. Ugh!! My grandmother admits that she doesn’t know what she was thinking.

Agirlinred- Your mom’s mom story made me laugh! That is great!

My Father’s Mother named her boys:
[name]John[/name] [name]Edmund[/name]
[name]Douglas[/name] [name]Michael[/name]
[name]Lawrence[/name] [name]William[/name]

So she was way better than my mom’s mom…who still thinks she used awesome names! :wink:

My grandmother (mum side) called her children;

[name]David[/name]
[name]Mervin[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Phyllis[/name] (My mum)
[name]Mark[/name]
[name]Bessie[/name]
[name]Carson[/name]
I don’t really like any of these.

My dad’s Mum called her children;

[name]Alan[/name]
[name]Darren[/name] (My dad)
[name]Cheryl[/name]
I think these are better than my mum’s mum but still not great!

Thankfully my mum had a better taste in names;

[name]Joanne[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Stanley[/name] [name]Craig[/name]
[name]Michaela[/name] [name]Jane[/name] (me)
[name]Lauren[/name]

Agreed (with the exception of [name]Joe[/name]), but there’s something generational here – we all tend to dislike our own parents’ names, which most often are at the bottom of the style cycle. Grandma’s own name is coming back into style, and great-grandma’s is perfect.

[name]True[/name], however I don’t think [name]Wanda[/name] or [name]Vernice[/name] were ever in style were they?

My mom is Raynice Valborg. She isn’t the only Raynice. My grandma’s doctor is who she got the idea from. My grandpa was [name]Raymond[/name] and Grandma was [name]Bernice[/name]. Voila, Raynice. I guess the doc was also a [name]Raymond[/name] married to a [name]Bernice[/name].

Valborg is a Danish name, but it sounds like something from Sci Fi if you ask anyone I know. It was the name of a friend’s daughter who had died in an accident.

Note: Grandma’s name was pronounced to rhyme with furnace and not with the -ees sound at the end. Therefore, my mom’s name rhymes with an unsightly body part with the -iss sound at the end instead of -ees. This has been subject for much teasing as her name is pronounced Rayn-iss. [name]Add[/name] the Valborg and I have to wonder, “what on earth was my dear grandmother thinking?”

Hmmm…[name]Joe[/name] is nice and solid and [name]Wanda[/name] could be worse. The other two…

My own grandmothers naming choices are questionable.

[name]Robert[/name] [name]Vernon[/name] (my dad) Supposedly named after his father’s army buddies who died in the war (WW2) or something.

[name]Tracy[/name] [name]Lee[/name] (my uncle. Grandma wanted a girl)

[name]Norman[/name] [name]Eugene[/name] (would have been [name]Norma[/name] [name]Jean[/name]. Again she wanted a girl.)

[name]Katie[/name] [name]Rose[/name] (I shudder to think of the masculine equivalent of this one)

[name]James[/name] [name]Michael[/name] (born 17 years after my dad. Classic name.)

My mom’s mom

[name]Emily[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name] (Aunt [name]Emmy[/name] was born in 1950 so I say she was ahead of the [name]Emily[/name] trend)

[name]Doris[/name] [name]Lynn[/name] (my mom. To be fair, my grandma didn’t name my mom. My uncle [name]Randolph[/name] who was leaving for Korea did. He loved [name]Doris[/name] [name]Day[/name]. He and my great-grandma combined on the name. My mother hated [name]Doris[/name] and goes by [name]Lynn[/name] to this day)

[name]Marilyn[/name] [name]Danette[/name] (called [name]Danette[/name]. I like those names together)

I’d probably choose [name]Vernice[/name] over [name]Joe[/name], any day. [name]Joe[/name]? [name]Just[/name] [name]Joe[/name]? No way.

My great-great-great grandmother named her children:
[name]Albert[/name]
[name]Edie[/name] (I’m guessing that it’s [name]Edith[/name])
[name]Etta[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Bessie[/name] (I’m guessing it’s [name]Elizabeth[/name], that completes the ‘E’ theme)

[name]Etta[/name] [name]Mae[/name] hated her name, so she went by [name]Mae[/name]. She had:
[name]Alberta[/name] [name]Clara[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Dolores[/name]
[name]Rebecca[/name]

My great grandmother [name]Alberta[/name] hates [name]Clara[/name] and now doesn’t feel any resentment towards [name]Alberta[/name] but people call her [name]Bert[/name], [name]Bertie[/name] and [name]Al[/name]. Honestly, I think it’s really ugly. [name]Clara[/name] is pretty but it reminds her of a cow.

[name]Alberta[/name] [name]Clara[/name] had:
[name]Lawrence[/name] [name]John[/name], [name]Jr[/name].
[name]Lauretta[/name] [name]Denise[/name]
[name]Mark[/name]
[name]Richard[/name] [name]Andrew[/name]

[name]Lauretta[/name] and [name]Lawrence[/name]? Same name, right?

[name]Lauretta[/name] went on to have:
[name]Amy[/name] [name]Lynne[/name]
[name]Hiram[/name] [name]Porter[/name] III
[name]Bryan[/name] [name]Wayne[/name]

[name]Both[/name] [name]Hiram[/name] and [name]Porter[/name] are passed down but my grandmother did not want it. Apparently she was so knocked out by drugs, by the time she woke up, her husband had signed the certificate and dubbed his son [name]Hiram[/name]. Poor Uncle [name]Hiram[/name] HATES his name so much, he used to make up different names growing up. I remember him getting mail under different names like [name]Brody[/name] and [name]Sam[/name] and once when he was little and got lost in a store, the PA System called, “Would the parents of [name]Mark[/name] (last name)…” He wouldn’t even tell the announcer his real name!

My mom named us:
[name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Antonio[/name] [name]Lorenzo[/name]
[name]Vincenzo[/name] [name]Alberto[/name]

I lucked out there, I think. Though [name]Tony[/name] works well…but [name]Tony[/name] and [name]Vinny[/name]? Good lord, it’s the new mob.

[name]Hiram[/name] isn’t good. Poor Uncle [name]Hiram[/name]!

My maternal grandmother’s choices:
[name]Deborah[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name] [name]Louise[/name]
[name]Janet[/name] [name]Lynn[/name] (My momma~If she weren’t at work, I’d call her to get thi missing middle names.)
[name]Steven[/name] [name]Wayne[/name]
[name]Dawn[/name] (Middle name is something like Sherrice or Shalea…)

Paternal Grandmother:
[name]Raymond[/name] [name]Eugene[/name] ~ My daddy
[name]Phylis[/name] [name]Ann[/name]
[name]Melinda[/name] [name]Kay[/name]
[name]Becky[/name] (Not [name]Rebecca[/name]) Leighann
[name]Kimberly[/name] [name]Diane[/name]

My parents chose:
[name]William[/name] [name]Brian[/name]
[name]Ashley[/name] [name]Rae[/name]
[name]Brittany[/name] [name]Lynn[/name]

And to date we have chosen:
[name]Mason[/name] [name]Wayne[/name]

[name]Aria[/name] Lang [name]Wilkes[/name] (Originally [name]Aria[/name] [name]Juliet[/name], but changed three weeks before she was born due to grandmother’s passing. Though [name]Aria[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] seems to fit her better now, as she tells everyone her name is [name]Princess[/name] [name]Aria[/name]. ((She’s two.)) )

[name]Bailey[/name] [name]Lynn[/name]
[name]Braydon[/name] [name]Lynn[/name]…In [name]Brittany[/name]'s defense her husband’s name also started with a B and his middle name was [name]Lynn[/name], so they carried it on in their children.

I agree-not the best taste in names! Yikes!

My dad’s siblings are:
[name]Paul[/name]
[name]Christopher[/name] (my dad)
[name]Mark[/name]
[name]Holly[/name]

Eh, could be worse.

And my mom’s family…

[name]Michael[/name]
[name]Kathleen[/name] ([name]Kathy[/name])
[name]Karen[/name]
[name]Keith[/name] (yes, three K’s in a row)
[name]Maureen[/name] (yes, rhymes with [name]Kathleen[/name])
[name]Joseph[/name] ([name]Joe[/name])
[name]John[/name]
[name]Janet[/name] (my mom) (another 3 in a row)
and [name]Daniel[/name] ([name]Danny[/name])

Despite breaking so many “rules” of good naming (rhyming, same letter 3 times in a row TWICE) I would use some of the boy names, such as [name]Michael[/name], [name]Joseph[/name], [name]John[/name], [name]Daniel[/name].

My mom’s name is [name]Wanda[/name]…she always hated it because her sisters have much more feminine names, [name]Rita[/name] and [name]Katrina[/name].

I’m not sure if [name]Wanda[/name] was ever considered pretty, but there sure are a lot of them out there!

My maternal grandparents had 11 children, also not my taste in names at all although their own names are fabulous, [name]Elvira[/name] and [name]Leo[/name]. Their kids were named…

[name]Eugene[/name]
[name]Brian[/name]
[name]Sheila[/name]
[name]Teresa[/name]
[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Karla[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name]
[name]David[/name]
[name]Sean[/name]
[name]Mark[/name]
[name]Marsha[/name]

Side note, all the girls have the middle name [name]Ann[/name] except [name]Marsha[/name] whose middle name is [name]Kay[/name]…explain that one to me?

My grandmother named her seven children…

[name]Brenda[/name] [name]Kae[/name] (now there is an [name]Amanda[/name] [name]Kae[/name], [name]Sara[/name] [name]Kae[/name], and [name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Kae[/name] in the family - which I love)
[name]Marilyn[/name] [name]Sue[/name]
[name]Michael[/name]
[name]Maury[/name]
[name]Nancy[/name] [name]Lydia[/name] (it’s amazing how popular [name]Lydia[/name] is becoming
nowadays)
[name]Barbara[/name]
[name]Kathleen[/name] (nn [name]Kathy[/name])

My paternal grandmother’s family:
[name]Aileen[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Maureen[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]John[/name] ([name]Jack[/name])
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Ann[/name] (the names of both her grandmothers)
[name]Kathleen[/name] [name]Winifred[/name]

[name]Nan[/name] ([name]Mary[/name]) and Granddad ([name]Kevin[/name] [name]Lindsay[/name], his sisters are [name]Mavis[/name] and [name]Edna[/name]) went on to have
[name]Rodney[/name] [name]Craig[/name]
[name]Mark[/name] [name]Lindsay[/name] (my dad)
[name]Peter[/name] [name]Leslie[/name]

My maternal grandmother’s name was [name]Myra[/name] Venette. Her sister is [name]Pauline[/name], and their mother was [name]Cecelia[/name].
Mum’s one of six. There are
[name]Stuart[/name]
[name]Christopher[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Maree[/name] (now goes by [name]Katharine[/name] “[name]Kate[/name]” [name]Maree[/name])
[name]Elisabeth[/name] [name]Anne[/name] (my mum, goes by [name]Annie[/name])
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Jeremy[/name]

My great-grandmother named my grandmother [name]Lyle[/name]. My grandmother hated her name since everyone always thought she was a boy until they met her. Unfortunately she didn’t do much better and named her children:

[name]Murray[/name]
[name]Marion[/name] (my monther)
[name]Gordon[/name]

Suffice to say my mom has never liked her name. Actually, I hate name - [name]Danielle[/name] - so maybe the women in my family are doomed with bad names.

My maternal grandmother named her children:

[name]Judi[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Willie[/name] [name]Darlene[/name] (my mother who goes by [name]Darlene[/name])
[name]Marcus[/name] [name]Glenn[/name]

My paternal grandmother didn’t actually name her children she left that up to my grandfather:

[name]Gerald[/name] [name]Dean[/name] (called [name]Jerry[/name])
[name]Ronald[/name] [name]Kieth[/name] (my father called [name]Ronnie[/name])

My maternal great grandmothers named their children:
[name]Clarence[/name]
[name]Ralph[/name] [name]Glenn[/name] (my grandfather)
[name]Helen[/name] [name]Marie[/name] (my grandmother)
[name]Iva[/name] (which I really like as an alternative to [name]Ava[/name], [name]Eva[/name] and this aunt actually married my great uncle)
[name]John[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] (which I love)
[name]Eva[/name] [name]Mae[/name]

My paternal great grandmothers named their children:
Vloris
Verble [name]Odell[/name] (my grandfather and I really like [name]Odell[/name])
[name]Cleo[/name] (which I actually think is a cute name)
[name]Lillie[/name] [name]Lola[/name] (my grandmother and she hated [name]Lola[/name]! we will name a daughter after her and use [name]Lillie[/name] as a middle name)
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Winona[/name]
[name]Velma[/name]
[name]Marie[/name]
[name]John[/name]