My Grandmother had the worst taste in names!

My maternal grandmother named her two daughters names that, sound, to my mind, almost stereotypically 1950s-perfect-TV-family-all-pigtails-and-sunshine:

[name]Sally[/name] [name]Anne[/name] (born in 1950), my mother
[name]Peggy[/name] [name]Jane[/name] (born in 1952) note it wasn’t [name]Margaret[/name]–it was “[name]Peggy[/name]”

My uncle has, in my opinion, a more timeless name: [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Robert[/name] (born in 1959).

My dad’s family:
[name]Sonja[/name] and [name]Mae[/name] (born 1936 and 1942)–don’t know my aunts’ middle names, for some reason
[name]Donald[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] (born 1946) my dad

[name]Joe[/name] is a great name!

Those aren’t so bad!

I think my grandma had okay taste:

[name]Dolores[/name] [name]Ann[/name] - my mother. the fam calls her ‘[name]Dodie[/name]’
[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Antonio[/name] Alejos - [name]Tony[/name]
[name]Angela[/name] [name]Marie[/name] - could have used a different middle name :confused:
[name]Joey[/name] [name]Anthony[/name]

[name]EDIT[/name]: might as well list what my mom named us:
[name]Toni[/name] [name]Marie[/name] - me
[name]Richard[/name] [name]Lewis[/name] - awesome
[name]Justin[/name] [name]Harold[/name] - awesome
[name]Damian[/name] [name]Michael[/name] - awesome
[name]Megan[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] - yeah, we messed up

first off…what were most of our grandmothers thinking! jemmajolie you had the right idea about starting this post.

second off…my grandmothers name choices kill me.

my heritage is very Italian on both sides - my mom’s parents came to america after they were married so to stick with their heritage they named all 5 of they’re children with italian names… MATCHING italian names…

mom’s - mom.

[name]PIA[/name] (PEE-UH) [name]PERLITA[/name]
[name]LIA[/name] ([name]LEE[/name]-UH) [name]LITA[/name]
[name]MIA[/name] (MEE-UH) [name]MELITA[/name] ( my mom )
[name]LEO/name
[name]GIO/name
… seriously grandma! IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT THINKS THAT THEY HAVE IT WORSE THAN MY MOM? :confused: if so i am terribly sorrrrry!

my dad’s side got a little more lucky than my mom and her sibs.

dad’s mom:

[name]ALDO[/name]
[name]LORENZO[/name]
[name]ANTONELLA[/name]
[name]LUCIANO[/name]
[name]ENZO[/name] (My dad)
[name]GIOVANNA[/name]
… better and i mean i can’t really knock grams o- ending names are most common for boys and the same with a - for girls in italian.

my husbands parents on the other hand had life great! and he has a complete irish heritage he himself is from ireland where he grew up and we both lived and met.

husbands mom’s - mom:

[name]CONNOR[/name]
[name]SEAMUS[/name]
[name]EILEEN[/name] (mom)
[name]DECLAN[/name]

husbands dad’s mom:

BARY(DAD)
[name]BRYNA[/name]

[name_f]My[/name_f] grandmother’s choices are alright, nothing horrible - but now seem a little dated.

Mom’s side:
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
[name_m]Matthew[/name_m]
[name_u]Leslie[/name_u] (girl)
[name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] (my mom)
[name_m]Lincoln[/name_m]
[name_u]Julianne[/name_u]

Dad’s side:
[name_u]Michael[/name_u] (my dad)
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]

What my mom and dad named me and my siblings:
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_u]Kay[/name_u] (me)
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Clayton[/name_m]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u] [name_u]Cameron[/name_u]

I love mine and my sibling’s names. :slight_smile:

[name_f]My[/name_f] grandmother named her children
Donalyn [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f]
[name_m]Robert[/name_m] Philmore
[name_m]Beau[/name_m] [name_m]Edgar[/name_m]

All of them have one name that is a family name.

I have to say my grandparents did an okay job. [name_f]My[/name_f] dad is [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] (named after his dad) and then my aunt is [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] which is horrible over done for 70’s baby but its not horrible.
[name_f]My[/name_f] mom is [name_f]Roxanna[/name_f] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] which makes me laugh because [name_f]Roxanna[/name_f] means [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] uncle is [name_m]Walter[/name_m] [name_u]Blake[/name_u] named for his father [name_m]Walter[/name_m] [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] who was named after his dad [name_m]Walter[/name_m]. [name_f]My[/name_f] cousin, also a [name_m]Walter[/name_m].
Then my mom’s half siblings: [name_f]Sue[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_u]Jo[/name_u] and [name_m]Steven[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u].

[name_f]My[/name_f] great grandparents were the ones with horrible taste: [name_m]Abel[/name_m] and [name_u]Odell[/name_u] (twins), W.C., [name_m]Burly[/name_m], [name_f]Reba[/name_f], [name_f]Phyllis[/name_f] (my grandmother), [name_f]Dee[/name_f], Genisearl ([name_f]Jen[/name_f]-iss-earl) who went by [name_f]Jenny[/name_f], [name_m]Dennis[/name_m] and I forget the others. There were twelve kids all together.

[name_f]My[/name_f] mum’s mum had two daughters [name_f]Pamela[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] and [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] (my mother). Their names are okay, but not really in style right now. [name_f]My[/name_f] Dad is from an older generation so his siblings names are more in style. He was one of 11. I don’t know all their middles and the last three didn’t have middles, I wonder if they ran out of names, lol!

[name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] ([name_m]Bob[/name_m])
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] ([name_m]Fred[/name_m])
[name_m]Alan[/name_m] [name_m]Ernest[/name_m]
[name_m]Dennis[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m]
[name_m]Kenneth[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m] ([name_m]Ken[/name_m])
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Elaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] ([name_f]Betty[/name_f])
[name_f]Winifred[/name_f] ([name_f]Winnie[/name_f])
[name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_m]Norman[/name_m]
[name_m]Brian[/name_m] (my Dad)

[name_f]My[/name_f] paternal grandmother’s choices:
[name_f]Cicily[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_m]Ralph[/name_m]
[name_m]Derek[/name_m]

[name_f]My[/name_f] maternal grandmother’s choices
[name_f]Kathryn[/name_f]
[name_m]Alistair[/name_m]
[name_f]Sandra[/name_f]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m]
[name_m]Ian[/name_m]

[name_f]My[/name_f] maternal grandparents have a truly bizarre sibset, honestly.
[name_f]Deborah[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_m]Robert[/name_m]
[name_f]Patricia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f]
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]
and…
Jenilyn

[name_u]Seven[/name_u] children with relatively classic if, in some cases, dated names, and then their youngest child with this ridiculous seventies smoosh name. I guess after seven daughters they just gave up!

I don’t think your grannie has terrible name tastes, we all have different tastes and her happenes to be those names. Nothing wrong in that; my favorite is [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m].

[name_f]My[/name_f] maternal side:

[name_f]My[/name_f] grandma (nanny) is one of three:
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_m]Gordon[/name_m]
[name_m]Graham[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m]

[name_f]My[/name_f] grandad (bampy) is only one of two:
[name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_m]Frank[/name_m]
[name_u]Jean[/name_u]

[name_f]Nanny[/name_f] and Bampy went on to have three children:
[name_u]Tracy[/name_u] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] (my mumma)
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] (she was going to be “Suanne” prn sue-anne)
[name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m]

[name_f]My[/name_f] mum absolute hates her name. She’s legally changed her name to [name_f]Kate[/name_f] [name_u]Tracy[/name_u].

[name_f]My[/name_f] paternal side:
[name_f]Nanny[/name_f] [name_f]Vera[/name_f] ([name_f]Ellen[/name_f]) & Grandad [name_m]Melvyn[/name_m] (I have no idea on his middle) had five kids (if my dad was around right now, I’d ask for middles):

[name_f]Pamela[/name_f] “[name_f]Pam[/name_f]”
[name_f]Patricia[/name_f] “[name_u]Pat[/name_u]”
[name_f]Linda[/name_f]
[name_u]Leslie[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] “[name_u]Les[/name_u]” (my daddy)
[name_m]Stephen[/name_m]

[name_f]My[/name_f] mum & dad had 2 children, me and my lovely brother:
[name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] ("[name_m]Robert[/name_m]" the Family Name)
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_f]Kathryn[/name_f] ("[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Kathryn[/name_f]" became the girls Family Name)

I think my parents (well, my mum) had the best taste in names. I love my name & my brother loves his. I also like how both our middles have recently become family names thanks to my mum giving them to us (that makes 3 generations now have each name) and I wish to keep that going now.

[name_f]My[/name_f] dad is the youngest of 5 children. They are:

[name_u]Michael[/name_u]
[name_u]Allison[/name_u] (twin to [name_u]Leslie[/name_u])
[name_u]Leslie[/name_u] (twin to [name_u]Allison[/name_u])
[name_m]Eric[/name_m]
[name_u]Brett[/name_u] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]

[name_f]My[/name_f] dad, [name_u]Brett[/name_u], was the only one of the 5 to have been given a middle name and was the only child they had baptized as an infant. [name_f]My[/name_f] grandmother says its because she knew my daddy was special. Of course I am inclined to agree!