Name Conversations / Questions

A place to just talk and gush about names. Today that might be flower names, tomorrow Russian or Spanish names, next Tuesday superhero or literature names. Anything you want to talk about w/out always opening up new threads. You can reply to everyone or no one, basically, the old Talk About Baby Names comprised in one post.
Basically Hot Takes w/out the “Hot”, just conversations about names.

11 Likes

So, I’m totally loving Russian boys’ names right now. [name_m]Fyodor[/name_m], [name_m]Lev[/name_m], [name_m]Leonid[/name_m], [name_m]Artem[/name_m], Fedot, Leonty, [name_m]Ilya[/name_m]. What Russian names are on everyone else’s radar? What combos do you have on your list w/ Russian names?

5 Likes

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Ilya[/name_m]! It was on my list two years ago and even my then boyfriend :woozy_face: really liked it too, so not sure if I’ll ever add it back to my list. Also not sure is [name_u]Sascha[/name_u] counts as Russian but that’s #2 on my list!

2 Likes

I love [name_m]Artem[/name_m] and [name_m]Lev[/name_m]! And [name_m]Aleksei[/name_m], [name_m]Mikhail[/name_m], [name_m]Artyom[/name_m], [name_m]Dimitri[/name_m], [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m], [name_m]Pavel[/name_m], and [name_m]Viktor[/name_m] are also very much on my radar at the moment.

2 Likes

Oh, definitely Sasha counts as Russian! Do you prefer it for a boy or a girl? Where I grew up it was basically only used on boys, so I prefer that but I can see the appeal for a girl, too.
It never used to strike me as funny, but now that I think about it, Sasha Obama goes by a Russian nickname (Sasha - Alexandra) that is entirely unrelated to her full name, which is also a Russian nickname (Natasha - Natalia).
If Sasha is #2 on your list, what’s your #1?

I love Victor, but prefer the C spelling, which doesn’t look that Russian anymore, I suppose. Pavel is also great, one of my favourite Paul variations. I also love Dimitri as it reminds me of the character in Anastasia but I can never quite settle on one spelling. Aleksei, Nikolai & Mikhail are also lovely, and while I don’t think they’d end up on my list, I do prefer them to many of their international variations!
Have you made any combos w/ these names?

1 Like

Yes I like [name_u]Sascha[/name_u] only for a boy and specifically that spelling for some reason! Ben-Ami is my favorite boys name which doesn’t go with any of my other names haha

1 Like

Ooh, Ben-Ami is interesting, what is the origin of that one?
I personally prefer [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] or [name_u]Sacha[/name_u] nowadays but around me, people were usually [name_u]Sascha[/name_u] (however, in [name_u]Germany[/name_u] [name_u]Sascha[/name_u] is zah-shuh instead of suh-shuh - I prefer the latter).

1 Like

Ben-Ami is Hebrew meaning “son of my people” and that’s really interesting about the pronunciations!

1 Like

Right now I’m really liking Slavic & nature names! Any ideas for me? :grin:

3 Likes

I’m not very familiar w/ [name_m]Slavik[/name_m] names, which ones are on your list?
I did have a quick look on BtN and the ones that I really liked were [name_f]Lada[/name_f], Morana, [name_f]Vesna[/name_f], Anuša/Nuša, & [name_f]Ziva[/name_f], [name_m]Lech[/name_m], Perun (means thunder, so also a nature name) & Enej.

1 Like

This is so pretty! What does it mean?

On its own the meaning is uncertain but she is the Slavic goddess of fertility. As a diminutive of Vladislava or Vladimira it would mean “ruler” (vladeti) as that is the syllable it’s derived from.

1 Like

I really like Abbott for a boy right now…

that is all.

3 Likes

[name_u]Abbott[/name_u] reminds me of [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], which I love! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have a combo in mind already?

1 Like

I haven’t yet other than Viktor, and my current combo is with the “Victor” spelling. I’ve been liking the “k” spelling lately though, so I might switch it up.

1 Like

I actually haven’t really thought about it! Maybe:
Abbott Castiel
Abbott Sunday
Abbott Isidore
Abbott Sylvan
Abbott March

2 Likes

I forgot about [name_u]Abbott[/name_u]! I have it on my list already, but I’m not sure when I added it.

Btw, I love this thread!

Abbott March is really handsome, it makes me think of 19th century English novels! I Also think Sylvan and Isidore make great middle names.

I’m glad you do! Please add to it as much as you like, anything about names that comes to mind :relaxed:

4 Likes

[name_f]Lada[/name_f] is so beautiful! Currently really loving Polish names, [name_f]Halina[/name_f], [name_f]Zuzanna[/name_f], [name_m]Szymon[/name_m], [name_m]Henryk[/name_m], [name_m]Mikolaj[/name_m] (can’t get the symbol!), [name_f]Karolina[/name_f], Janina… Can’t get enough!

3 Likes

I love the look of this! I’m only familiar with Henrik/Hendrik and I never liked them nearly as much as Henry, but Henyrk looks really cool!