Name Conversations / Questions

Nice alternative to [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] & El(l)io(t)t!

2 Likes

I love Russian names and have tons of them on my list. [name_f]My[/name_f] SO has Russian heritage and I can speak Russian. One of my twins is a [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] (Lenya), as you probably know :wink:
I tend to like Russian boys names more than girls names, as the girls names tend to be rather frilly, which isnā€™t my style. But [name_f]Elizaveta[/name_f] is on the top of my list.

[name_f]My[/name_f] other favorite Russian boys names are Artemy, Yermolai/Ermolai, [name_u]Sasha[/name_u], Gerasim, [name_u]Boris[/name_u], [name_m]Gennady[/name_m], [name_u]Nikita[/name_u], [name_m]Pyotr[/name_m], Yefim/Efim, [name_m]Zinovy[/name_m], [name_m]Anatoly[/name_m], [name_m]Lavrenty[/name_m] & Nikifor.

1 Like

Polish names are great. Iā€™ve always wanted to honor my Polish heritage in my childrenā€™s names, but my SO and I couldnā€™t agree on any of them. A little [name_m]Tadeusz[/name_m] would be so wonderful.

[name_f]My[/name_f] other Polish favorites are [name_f]Beata[/name_f], [name_f]Betsabe[/name_f], Eligia, [name_f]Elzbieta[/name_f] & [name_f]Malgosia[/name_f], and for boys [name_m]Cezary[/name_m], [name_m]Felicjan[/name_m], [name_m]Gerwazy[/name_m], [name_m]Janusz[/name_m], Jozafat & [name_m]Konstantyn[/name_m].

3 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite Russian name is [name_m]Luka[/name_m]! Followed by [name_m]Osip[/name_m] and [name_f]Mariya[/name_f] ā€œMashaā€

1 Like

Anatoly is really sweet, but it also feels a lot more ā€œstereotypicalā€ Russian than Leonid, for example, which is why I donā€™t think I could get away w/ using it without having any Russian heritage. Though, funnily enough, two of my fatherā€™s names are Russian and both my middle names rank very high in Moskow, so maybe as a nod to that, haha.
For girls, I tend to prefer the nicknames - Masha, Anushka, Polya, Vika, however, many of the ones currently popular on NB have taken me a while to come around to as theyā€™ve been really popular 40+ years ago where I grew up.

As for Polish names, I really like Anatol (which I like even more than Anatoly), Jaromir, Kazimierz & Zuzia but have no idea how popular/dated they are. Janusz is also really sweet and Elzbieta & Betsabe could make really sweet nicknames for Elizabeth if one canā€™t quite commit to them.
One name Iā€™m surprised is not more popular on here is Anka, I feel like it would fit quite a few peopleā€™s styles.

I see you also have a German flag in your UC, is that also part of your heritage?

I didnā€™t know Luka was a Russian name, here itā€™s mainly used as a spelling variation of Luca, for both boys and girls. Osip is really sweet, maybe w/ the nickname Pip? And Masha is such a sweet nickname!

2 Likes

Also, Iā€™ve been looking at the names on my family tree and have come across Iscla and Balmon, which may be surnames, with Spanish/Catalan naming laws you can never be sure, but have not had any luck with finding out the meaning - does anyone have an idea?

I donā€™t know if this works but MaÅ”a is a nice name that is Slavic or spelled alternately Masha! I know a Masha irl as she is Serbian lol. Other slavic names that I like are Malina, Danica, Violeta, and Sofija. Violeta and Malina arenā€™t really traditional Slavic names, I think theyā€™re more modern Slavic names, but they have nice meanings to them! For boys I think Novak & Ivo are also nice names!

I donā€™t have any German relatives, but we moved to Germany when I was about in my early teens. My SO is half German though.

Oh, how fun to have so many different languages you can fall back on when naming your children! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you speak any other languages besides Icelandic, Russian and [name_m]German[/name_m] (if youā€™ve lived there long enough to speak it)?

Also, do you and your SO use the same pronunciations for your kidsā€˜ names (if you speak different languages?) or do you both use the pronunciation that is used where you live? Iā€™m always curious if people use names that sound the same in different languages or if the differences between pronunciations make the names more interesting.

You donā€™t have to answer any of those of course, haha, just what youā€™re comfortable with sharing!

I also speak Polish (Iā€™m 25% Polish), [name_f]English[/name_f] of course, [name_u]French[/name_u] (conversational level) and a tiny bit of Swedish. [name_f]My[/name_f] SO speaks Russian, [name_m]German[/name_m] and Hebrew with his family. [name_f]My[/name_f] oldest son (who has a different dad) is trilingual, we raise our other sons bilingual.

We pronounce our childrenā€™s names almost the same in every language, but there are minor differences. For example, my SO usually pronounces the y in [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] as Ć¼ (as in new) while I say it like ā€œihā€. All of this means Iā€™m not a stickler for pronunciation. In our families we get all kinds of pronunciations :sweat_smile: I say en-dih-MEE-ohn, some of our family members says en-DIH-mee-ohn (like you would do in English). And with [name_m]Leonid[/name_m], we did correct some of our family members who kept saying LEO-nid instead of Leo-NEED. We use the Russian nickname [name_f]Lenya[/name_f], and so do SOā€™s family members, but some of my family insists on calling him [name_m]Leo[/name_m] because they donā€™t know the first thing about Russian or the diminutives. I asked them to use his full name instead.
So yeah, itā€™s always rather complicated in our families :roll_eyes: But also very interesting.

I love this but sadly my sister (who I donā€™t really get along with) is named Mah!na. :pensive: :joy:

1 Like

[name_f]Malina[/name_f] means raspberries in Russian :slight_smile: I find it cute, though

2 Likes

Same! Abbott in general is charming, @may.rose. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lenya is really sweet (though I also like Leo, but prefer the English pronunciation to the ā€œEuropean Eā€ Leo, however, the Lio spelling doesnā€™t appeal to me at all). Does Endymion also have a (Russian) nickname?

Haha, but with that many different cultures involved, I donā€™t think I would expect anything different. And that youā€™re able to pass all the different traditions on to your sons must be awesome!

1 Like

Not unlike your own combos! Polly Cordelia and Rose Antonia are so beautiful and Fitzwilliam Henry feels like it would be Mr. Darcyā€™s full name.

1 Like

Oh, thank you! :blush:

Greatest compliment Iā€™ve ever received on a name. :wink:

1 Like

It means the same thing in Polish. Personally I donā€™t really like Malina, but the meaning doesnā€™t bother me. Thereā€™s also Jagoda, which means berry in Polish (and strawberry in a few other languages, I think?) and thatā€™s a very popular name in Poland.

1 Like

Been thinking about hypothetical twins named Gilbert and Winifred. How darling would that be?! Iā€™m thinking Gilbert March and Winifred Eve. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

They would, indeed, be adorable. Iā€™m not the biggest [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] fan, though [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] is adorable, but [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] and [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] are so charming, they remind me very much of [name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables.

2 Likes

I forgot to reply to this earlier, sorry :sweat_smile:

Endymion doesnā€™t have a Russian nickname. We called him Dymi for a while right after he was born, but that didnā€™t seem to fit him. Then my oldest son started calling him Enno and that kind of stuck.