Name Rants

no offense to anyone, but yes maybe grace/rose/mae/james are overused as middle names. but that doesn’t mean the name is boring. a lot of people choose those names for family-related reasons or because they just like it! i really don’t like when people use the word boring to describe a name because i feel like it’s just not fair when you might not know the meaning behind it. and if you really dislike those middle names, it’s okay, but that doesn’t mean others can’t like/use it because of their popularity!

i may or may not have used boring before? i don’t remember but it’s recently started bugging me so i apologize if i did ever tell you your combo was “boring”

21 Likes

my future spouse had better have no opinions when it comes to baby names. i refuse to give up any of my favorites (honors or not) just because they don’t like them!

i’m joking but also not really :rofl:

19 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband’s refusal to use Ísrún is the only reason I’ve ever considered divorcing him :joy: [name_m]Just[/name_m] joking

21 Likes

Me when I found out how Endymion is said… the way it sounded in my head was better! :sob:

4 Likes

how were you pronouncing it??
(sorry, I’m curious :sweat_smile:)

I figured my partner would be super chill when naming our baby because he’d always been chill with name lists;

Turns out when there’s an actual baby to name, they do in fact have opinions sometimes??? :face_with_spiral_eyes::exploding_head: I was quite annoyed that Navy and Sailor got instant no’s :weary:

16 Likes

This is completely beside the point but I just have to say oh my god I love Dr. Cox so so much!

3 Likes

Hahaha me too! We named our cat John Dorian “JD” and we always joke if we adopt a second cat, we’d have to name them Dr. Cox or Turk if they’re a boy, Elliot, Laverne or Carla if they’re a girl!

3 Likes

En-duh-my-on (with a long “eye” sound after the M)… not remotely correct haha :laughing:

2 Likes

[name_f]Bluma[/name_f] would be a pretty name if it weren’t for the teasing potential of “late bloomer” :seedling:

10 Likes

[name_m]Eh[/name_m], I think it’s fair to call something boring even if it might hold significance to another person; especially if they ask for opinions but even more so if you’re just generally speaking. It might sting a little but it also offers a space for self-reflection, i.e. “am I bothered by people thinking it’s boring, do i think it’s boring, and if so, am I using this name because i really want to or because I feel an obligation to use it,…”
Boring isn’t negative per se, it’s actually quite neutral; not bad but also not interesting.

10 Likes

Oh, this is so cute! Now I am grieving this name with you. :smiling_face_with_tear:

At least [name_f]Bloom[/name_f] still feels slightly more accessible? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

just found out i’d been pronouncing [name_u]Cataleya[/name_u] wrong and i don’t like the actual pronunciation :sweat_smile: apparently it’s Cat-uh-lee-uh instead of Cat-uh-lay-uh which I think sounds so much prettier :cry:

4 Likes

I pronounce it the same way (enn-dih-MYE-on), I’ve seen so many different pronunciations for [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] that I just classify it as one of those that people always pronounce it differently

1 Like

It’s pretty popular is Spanish areas, in Spanish it’s pronounced kah-tah-LAY-ah!

12 Likes

Maybe I’ll just use that pronunciation then! :grin: at least i know i didn’t just make up a pronunciation haha

1 Like

i wish more flower names were considered to be “normal” than just plain old rose, violet, iris, daisy, lily, and even flora. like all of those are darling, but what about delphinium, chrysanthemum, hyacinth, bluebell, camellia, amaryllis, daffodil, and tulip! they’re so fresh, and elaborate, and beautiful! why do we forget about them?

16 Likes

Well, we hear all sorts of pronunciations of our Endymion’s name… I’m starting to doubt if there’s even a correct one at all :joy: [name_m]Even[/name_m] our own families pronounce it in at least two different ways. I still correct people once or twice, but after that… Go ahead :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I know a Chrysan and have met a [name_u]Hyacinth[/name_u], I can say they are definitely wearable and fit them quite well! I do wish they were more popular too

2 Likes

I’m not as excited by celebrity baby name announcements anymore. I feel like, once upon a time, I used to eagerly await what some celebs were going to name their baby and would genuinely love their choices. These days, there’s few celebrity baby announcements I’m hanging out for, or ones where I love the name they chose. Does anyone else feel like this?!

13 Likes