Names like Amelia?

My boyfriend dislikes almost [name_f]EVERY[/name_f] name I come up with but he likes [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]! Problem is, we want a nickname picked out for her and we can’t agree on one.

What other names like [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] can you suggest that he might like? Our other children are [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] [name_u]Ryan[/name_u], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f], and [name_u]Francis[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] to give you an idea of our style (though like I said he has no to a lot of my suggestions!)

Thanks in advance!

[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] is lovely. What about a name that sounds similar like:
[name_f]Camelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Delia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]?
Not finding a nn is not a reason to give up on [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] though. Which nn can’t you agree on? Maybe there’s another the berries can come up with? Good luck.

I wanted [name_f]Mia[/name_f] but he doesn’t like it! I suggested [name_f]Lia[/name_f] as well but nope. And neither of us like [name_f]Amy[/name_f]/[name_f]Millie[/name_f]/[name_u]Mel[/name_u]/Mimi or any other nicknames we’ve thought of! [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] is still on our list for now, but I’m not sure he’s sold.

other ideas:

[name_f]Anthea[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Jessamy[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Johanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Cressida[/name_f]
[name_f]Clarissa[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_f]Araminta[/name_f]
[name_f]Antonia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Gabriella[/name_f]
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Raphaela[/name_f]

nickname options for [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]: [name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_f]Millie[/name_f], [name_f]Mimi[/name_f], Mem, [name_f]Melly[/name_f], [name_f]Mally[/name_f], [name_f]Lia[/name_f]. The [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] I know is in her 20’s and has never been called anything other than [name_f]Amelia[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]! It’s so cute. I know an [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], and her mum calls her ‘[name_f]Milli[/name_f]’ but her dad calls her ‘Meely’. I think Meely is quite cute (it’s said exactly as it’s spelt). I think all the names already suggested would be great substitutes.

[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] is lovely (Let the other kids choose the nickname-[name_u]Ali[/name_u], [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_u]Mel[/name_u], [name_f]Mimi[/name_f])

Other suggestions:
[name_f]Azalea[/name_f]
[name_f]Amara[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_u]Emery[/name_u]
[name_f]Cicely[/name_f]
[name_f]Letty[/name_f]

The obvious substitutes for [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] would be [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] or [name_f]Amelie[/name_f]- [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] would give you [name_f]Em[/name_f]/[name_f]Emmy[/name_f] for nicknames, as well as [name_f]Mila[/name_f] (which would work for [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] too), [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] could be [name_f]Lili[/name_f] (lee-lee) or [name_f]May[/name_f]. [name_f]Ama[/name_f] could also be a nickname for [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]- there’s another [name_u]Berry[/name_u] who has an [name_f]Ama[/name_f], I think it’s short for [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]. [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] is another option.

I agree with the PPs that you don’t have to give up on [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] because of the nickname though. You and your boyfriend don’t have to use the same nickname, many people are called different things by different people. And it’s not that long of a name so unless you’re from a family/community that nicknames everything, just [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] is fine.

Have you considered [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] without a nickname? It’s one of the few four syllable names that can work without a short version. I like [name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_f]Millie[/name_f] and [name_f]Mia[/name_f], but you have already considered all of those.

I like the idea of letting the kids choose!

I like the idea of letting the other kids choose!

I really like the idea of having the kids choose! And I do really love [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] on its own (I pronounce it [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-meel-ya, not ah-muh-lee-ah - just wanted to clarify!) I love how it sounds with our last name [name_u]Langley[/name_u] and with [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] for a middle. I just know that his family traditionally use nicknames (none of them are referred to by their given name) and my boyfriend really wants a nickname for all of our kids. He likes [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] just as much as I do, though, so I’m going to convince him to give it a chance and then let the nickname come naturally… maybe then, once I attached [name_f]Mia[/name_f] to his cute little daughter, he’ll love it too! lol

Also, I’ve never formally gone by anything other than my name ([name_f]Catherine[/name_f]) and am rarely called any short form of my name! My boyfriend and my close family are really the only ones who refer to me as “[name_f]Cat[/name_f]” or “[name_f]Catie[/name_f]” and I personally prefer my given name, so I don’t see any reason not to just use [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]! Also, our son [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] does not go by [name_u]Tony[/name_u] (I don’t really like it) and my boyfriend doesn’t mind not having a nickname option for him. Hmm, I’m finding more and more reasons to keep this name!

Thank you guys for the supporting words and suggestions. I was about ready to give up on [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and I’m glad I didn’t!

Does she pronounce it ah-muh-lee-ah? Because I really like Ama, but I’m not sure if it works as well for ah-meel-ya pronunciation! I thought of Mila, too, but I prefer Amelia to Mila so I thought it’d be silly to use it over Amelia. Could Mae work? It doesn’t have the exact same sound but it’s his mother’s middle name and I find it sweet (and our Elizabeth is Ellie, which is kinda the same concept!)

I’ve always loved [name_f]Letty[/name_f] (spelled [name_f]Lettie[/name_f]) but again, he’s not a fan. Men are so difficult sometimes lol

I’m not quite sure which pronunciation she uses actually, but I think [name_f]Ama[/name_f] would work for either pronunciation since all the letters are in [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and in the right order, Amelia. I was suggesting [name_f]Mae[/name_f] for [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] actually, which I pronounce the [name_m]French[/name_m] way, ah-[name_f]MAY[/name_f]-lee, but it could theoretically work. It’s not the most intuitive but if [name_f]May[/name_f] can be a nickname for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], why not [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]?

[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] would be perfect! Nickname options: [name_f]Millie[/name_f], [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_f]Lia[/name_f].

Other names you might like:

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_u]Eloise[/name_u]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]

The other kids also have beautiful names.

I like [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] as a nn for [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]. I also think [name_f]Amy[/name_f] is cute. [name_f]Milly[/name_f]. [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. [name_f]Ama[/name_f]. [name_f]Ana[/name_f]. [name_f]Melly[/name_f]. [name_f]Lia[/name_f].

Suggestions:
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]

I have a cousin named [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]. She used to go by [name_f]Amy[/name_f] but lately I’ve been hearing [name_u]Min[/name_u]-[name_u]Min[/name_u], if you want an unconventional option.

I also had a friend named [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] who sometimes went by the nickname Meemaw or Meems. Again, a bit unconventional but worth consideration.

So, you could go with [name_u]Min[/name_u], [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], Meems, [name_u]Lee[/name_u], [name_f]Leela[/name_f], or Leema. [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] might be the most wearable though, if you like that.

Or, you could try to make a middle name by combining her first and middle names. Like, if her full name is [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f], you could use A.J.

Other names you might like: (I haven’t looked through every name suggested in this thread so sorry if I’m repeating a few)
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] “[name_u]Alex[/name_u]” “[name_u]Lexi[/name_u]” [name_u]Lex[/name_u]" “[name_f]Alexa[/name_f]” “[name_u]Andy[/name_u]”
[name_f]Angelina[/name_f] “[name_u]Ange[/name_u]” “[name_f]Lina[/name_f]” “[name_u]Angel[/name_u]” “[name_f]Annie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f] “[name_u]Izzy[/name_u]” “[name_u]Bell[/name_u]” “[name_f]Bella[/name_f]” “Iz”
Alyana “[name_f]Aly[/name_f]” “[name_m]Al[/name_m]” “[name_f]Lia[/name_f]”
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] “[name_f]Rose[/name_f]” “[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]” [name_f]Mary[/name_f]"
[name_u]Kimberly[/name_u] “[name_u]Kim[/name_u]” “[name_f]Kimmy[/name_f]” “[name_f]Kimber[/name_f]”
[name_f]Alyssa[/name_f] “[name_u]Ali[/name_u]” “Liss” “[name_f]Lissa[/name_f]”
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] “[name_u]Jo[/name_u]” “[name_u]Joey[/name_u]” “[name_u]Josie[/name_u]”
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] “[name_u]Jules[/name_u]” “[name_u]Julie[/name_u]” “[name_f]Lettie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] “[name_u]Charlie[/name_u]” “[name_f]Lottie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Vanessa[/name_f] “Ness” “[name_f]Nessa[/name_f]”

Good luck! [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t lose hope on [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]! But if you do, I hope you two are able to find a name you both love with the most adorable nicknames to chose from :slight_smile:

What about [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] and calling her [name_f]Em[/name_f], [name_f]Emmy[/name_f], [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_f]Mila[/name_f], etc.?

Other suggestions that come to mind: [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f].

I actually originally picked [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] (em-ah-lee-ah) because I think it’s beautiful and has Italian/Spanish influence (my family is very Italian!) but I liked the pronunciation of [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] (ah-meel-yah) better and thought it went better with our name choices, since [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is a more standard English name!

Wow [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] is beautiful! I really adore that. It’s less common than both [name_f]Emily[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] but still in the same ballpark. I’m worried it’s too unique in comparison to our others though and he might not like that as much. We’re very traditional and all our names reflect a sort of traditional European style (for some reason I’m drawn to the name of queens! Haha). Theoretically [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] could work, as it is still technically European, but I’m not convince it has the sound we want. I don’t think I could get him to agree it to it. I’m glad you suggested [name_f]Ama[/name_f] and [name_f]Mae[/name_f], though - I’m a big fan!