Names of the First Ladies

This was partly inspired by the Signers of the Declaration of Independence! thread. Here are the names of all the US First Ladies. All thoughts, favorites, etc. welcome! :slight_smile:

[name_f]Martha[/name_f] (x2 – [name_m]Washington[/name_m], [name_m]Jefferson[/name_m])
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f] (x2 – [name_m]Adams[/name_m], [name_m]Fillmore[/name_m])
[name_f]Dolley[/name_f] ([name_u]Madison[/name_u])
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] ([name_u]Monroe[/name_u])
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] ([name_m]Adams[/name_m])
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f] ([name_u]Jackson[/name_u])
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f] ([name_u]Van[/name_u] [name_m]Buren[/name_m])
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] ([name_m]Harrison[/name_m])
[name_f]Letitia[/name_f] ([name_u]Tyler[/name_u])
[name_f]Julia[/name_f] (x2 – [name_u]Tyler[/name_u], [name_m]Grant[/name_m])
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f] ([name_m]Polk[/name_m])
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] “[name_f]Peggy[/name_f]” ([name_u]Taylor[/name_u])
[name_f]Jane[/name_f] ([name_m]Pierce[/name_m])
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] ([name_m]Buchanan[/name_m])
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] ([name_u]Lincoln[/name_u])
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] ([name_m]Johnson[/name_m])
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] ([name_u]Hayes[/name_u])
[name_f]Lucretia[/name_f] ([name_m]Garfield[/name_m])
[name_f]Ellen[/name_f] “[name_f]Nell[/name_f]” ([name_m]Arthur[/name_m])
[name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] ([name_m]Cleveland[/name_m])
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] ([name_m]Harrison[/name_m])
[name_f]Ida[/name_f] (McKinley)
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] (x2[name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m], [name_m]Wilson[/name_m])
[name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] “[name_f]Nellie[/name_f]” ([name_m]Taft[/name_m])
[name_f]Ellen[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] ([name_m]Wilson[/name_m])
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] ([name_m]Harding[/name_m])
[name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Anna[/name_f] ([name_m]Coolidge[/name_m])
[name_u]Lou[/name_u] ([name_m]Hoover[/name_m])
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] ([name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m])
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] “[name_f]Bess[/name_f]” ([name_m]Truman[/name_m])
[name_u]Marie[/name_u] [name_f]Geneva[/name_f] “[name_f]Mamie[/name_f]” (Eisenhower)
[name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] “[name_u]Jackie[/name_u]” ([name_u]Kennedy[/name_u])
[name_f]Claudia[/name_f] [name_f]Alta[/name_f] “[name_f]Lady[/name_f] [name_u]Bird[/name_u]” ([name_m]Johnson[/name_m])
[name_f]Thelma[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] “[name_u]Pat[/name_u]” ([name_m]Nixon[/name_m])
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_u]Anne[/name_u] “[name_f]Betty[/name_f]” ([name_m]Ford[/name_m])
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalynn[/name_f] ([name_u]Carter[/name_u])
[name_u]Anne[/name_u] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] “[name_f]Nancy[/name_f]” ([name_u]Reagan[/name_u])
[name_f]Barbara[/name_f] ([name_m]Bush[/name_m])
[name_u]Hillary[/name_u] [name_f]Diane[/name_f] ([name_m]Clinton[/name_m])
[name_f]Laura[/name_f] [name_u]Lane[/name_u] ([name_m]Bush[/name_m])
[name_f]Michelle[/name_f] LaVaughn ([name_m]Obama[/name_m])
[name_f]Melania[/name_f] (Trump)

16 Likes

I love this thread! I’m a huge history buff/political junkie, and naming a daughter after one of the First Ladies would be so sweet!

2 Likes

To be quite honest, I like most of these names!

My favorites are [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Ida[/name_f], [name_f]Thelma[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], and [name_u]Anne[/name_u] [name_f]Frances[/name_f].

1 Like

Louisa [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] and [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] are both stunning combos, I’ve always admired [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m]’s full name. I literally never knew until today that [name_u]Pat[/name_u] [name_m]Nixon[/name_m]’s given name was not [name_f]Patricia[/name_f]–I had always assumed since their daughter was [name_f]Tricia[/name_f] that both mom and daughter shared a full name!

2 Likes

I know! I seriously wonder where the nn “[name_u]Pat[/name_u]” came from! It does not feel very intuitive at all. Lol

Apparently according to wikipedia she was born the day before St. [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]’s [name_u]Day[/name_u] so her father nicknamed her [name_u]Pat[/name_u] and it stuck.

5 Likes

How interesting! That’s actually really cute. Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

Thanks for doing this @elanorelle! Great list!

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Geneva[/name_f]. So pretty! Thats probably the only I would add to my list.

I’ve always liked [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] but pronounced [name_m]Jac[/name_m]-uh-leen. Not a fan of [name_m]Jack[/name_m]-lyn pronounciation or the nickname [name_u]Jackie[/name_u].

Rosalynn is pretty although I prefer [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f].

I find [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_f]Letitia[/name_f], [name_f]Claudia[/name_f] and [name_f]Melania[/name_f] spunky for first [name_f]Lady[/name_f] names! Politics aside, I have always thought [name_f]Melania[/name_f] was a pretty name although I dont like [name_f]Melanie[/name_f] that much and not a fan of [name_u]Mel[/name_u] as a nickname. Funny how a couple letters can really change the entire vibe of a name.

2 Likes

What a great idea!

My faves…

Dorothea
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Peggy[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Nell[/name_f]
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f]
[name_f]Mamie[/name_f]
[name_f]Betty[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]

1 Like

My favorites:

Abigail
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] (so surprised there’s only one!)
[name_f]Ellen[/name_f] (also surprised by the popularity of [name_f]Ellen[/name_f]/Nell/Nellie)
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]/Elizabeth ([name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] “[name_f]Bess[/name_f]” is so nice)
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] (so many Annas! And I had no idea [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] wasn’t her first name)
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] (love [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], hate [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f])
[name_f]Claudia[/name_f] [name_f]Alta[/name_f] “[name_f]Lady[/name_f] [name_u]Bird[/name_u]” ([name_f]Lady[/name_f] [name_u]Bird[/name_u] is ridiculous but [name_f]Claudia[/name_f] [name_f]Alta[/name_f] is stunning)

1 Like

So was I!

[name_f]My[/name_f] real name is [name_f]Abigail[/name_f],my parents named me after [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_m] Adams[/name_m]:heartpulse:

1 Like

There are so many great names here! [name_f]My[/name_f] favourites are [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalynn[/name_f], [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f] and [name_f]Geneva[/name_f] - all are on my list! It’s also so interesting how you can clearly see name trends change over time looking at the list!

I think the only names on here I’d never consider using are [name_f]Martha[/name_f], [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] and [name_f]Melania[/name_f] - so kudos on the name choices to the parents of the first ladies!

1 Like

Isn’t it? I do find this sort of thing perfect for observations like that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@elanorelle I agree! It’s also interesting since first ladies are typically from the upper classes, so you can compare naming trends between different socio-economic classes through the years using lists like this.

1 Like

Oh, that’s true, too. Good point! I hadn’t thought of that.

1 Like

Dorothea, [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and [name_f]Ida[/name_f] are my favourites

1 Like

Thanks for making this list - how fascinating!!

My favorites are:
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] (!!!)
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] “[name_f]Nell[/name_f]”
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] “[name_f]Peggy[/name_f]”
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_u]Marie[/name_u] [name_f]Geneva[/name_f] “[name_f]Mamie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Claudia[/name_f] [name_f]Alta[/name_f] “[name_f]Lady[/name_f] [name_u]Bird[/name_u]”

I also never knew [name_u]Pat[/name_u] [name_m]Nixon[/name_m]’s name was [name_f]Thelma[/name_f]!!!
[name_f]Melania[/name_f] has some pretty sounds to it - wish I could like that one too!

1 Like

Eleanor will ALWAYS be on my baby name list for ([name_f]Anna[/name_f]) [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m]. I’m not sure if I’ll ever use it, due to how common it is :expressionless:

I’m surprised no one has mentioned [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] :joy: I’m a [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] and I’ve always loved my name

2 Likes