Names that are good human names but aren't good pet names

I will start

Ellie

“Grown-up names” Like [name_m]Robert[/name_m] or [name_f]Monica[/name_f], I can’t imagine it on a pet :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Craig and Karen. Like, can you even imagine? “Look Grandma, this is my tarantula Craig. Say hi, Craig! No Craig! Stop! AUGHHHH CRAIG’S ON ME!” and “Isn’t Karen such a darling parakeet? Karen, stop flapping around!”

1 Like

[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]

[name_m]Gregory[/name_m]
[name_u]Timothy[/name_u]
[name_m]Christopher[/name_m]

I would say longer versions of common dog names.

Charles ([name_u]Charlie[/name_u])
[name_m]Edward[/name_m]/Edmund ([name_m]Eddie[/name_m])
[name_u]Maxwell[/name_u]/Maximillian ([name_u]Max[/name_u])
[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]/Nicole ([name_u]Nikki[/name_u]/Nicky)
[name_f]Roxanne[/name_f]/Roxanna ([name_f]Roxie[/name_f])
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]/Samantha ([name_u]Sammie[/name_u])

I wouldn’t use old fashioned names ([name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]), classic names ([name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], [name_m]Henry[/name_m]) and names that are well established (like [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]). And there are also some names that I find too serious to actually picture on a pet ([name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], [name_f]Susannah[/name_f], [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f], [name_u]Noah[/name_u], [name_m]Greg[/name_m], [name_u]Owen[/name_u]).
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Jessica[/name_f]
[name_u]Peyton[/name_u]
[name_f]Alisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_u]Madison[/name_u]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]/Isobel
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]

Jonathan
[name_m]Peter[/name_m]
[name_u]George[/name_u]
[name_m]William[/name_m]
[name_u]Tyler[/name_u]
[name_u]Kyle[/name_u]
[name_m]Isidore[/name_m]
[name_u]Oliver[/name_u]
[name_m]Joseph[/name_m]
[name_m]Robert[/name_m]
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]

Deborah or [name_m]Adrian[/name_m] seem very human-y to me.

Also hyphenated names like those popular in the UK at the moment: [name_m]Tommy[/name_m]-[name_u]Ray[/name_u], [name_u]Sonny[/name_u]-[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_f]Myla[/name_f]-[name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f] — can’t really see those on a pet.

I met a little sausage dog named [name_m]Kevin[/name_m] once and he actually rocked it! I also know dogs called [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] Pepys and [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Robin[/name_u] (always called by their full names) so maybe some double names can work :smile_cat:

1 Like

I think all human names can work as pet names!

12 Likes

My childhood pet was named [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u]. :joy:

1 Like

Craig. Like, can you even imagine? “Look Grandma, this is my tarantula [name_m]Craig[/name_m]. [name_m]Say[/name_m] hi, [name_m]Craig[/name_m]! No [name_m]Craig[/name_m]! Stop! AUGHHHH CRAIG’S ON ME!"

Sorry, just realized that this was the same one I answered earlier.

I think pretty much any name works honestly! I find old man sounding names adorable on pets. I have/had snakes named [name_u]Chris[/name_u], [name_m]Mike[/name_m] and [name_u]Mattie[/name_u] and they fit really well. Maybe something really long like [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] or [name_m]Theodoric[/name_m], with them never being given a nickname would be weird.

Me too! I prefer “old fashioned” people names on pets a lot of the time. [name_f]My[/name_f] cat is [name_m]Monty[/name_m]/Montague (and he was almost [name_m]Dwight[/name_m]) and my brother’s childhood hamster was [name_f]Edie[/name_f].

I guess in terms of names that wouldn’t work as well for me on a pet? Super popular/trendy names and/or Biblical ones, like:

• [name_u]Noah[/name_u]
  • [name_f]Esther[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Rachel[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Emily[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Sarai[/name_f]
  • [name_u]Ryan[/name_u]
  • [name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Luke[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Elijah[/name_m]

Names I’d name my future pet turtle that are just a bit too unwieldy for human use, let’s go!

• Plautilla
  • Mariangiola
  • Fede
  • Sofonisba
  • Properzia

I think any name can work on a pet, but I have a hard time picturing a pet with a classic, formal human name.

I agree with @floatinthesky, its hard for me to think of names that wouldn’t work because most human names would just be kinda funny and cute imo! Any human name whether it’s classic or trendy has some comedy value to it on a pet and seems cute just by merit of being unexpected. [name_f]My[/name_f] future pet name list includes [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] and [name_f]Judith[/name_f].

1 Like

Meredith or [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f] for a girl
[name_m]John[/name_m] or [name_m]Richard[/name_m] for a boy.

I picked old fashioned names because they seem so classic and fit for people. For a pet…I don’t think so.

I don’t believe there are names for people that aren’t good for companion animals.

What about [name_m]Craig[/name_m]?

Are you thinking [name_m]Craig[/name_m] is not good for a human animal or a non-human animal? I like it for both. Cragie is a cute little boy/animal nn.