Names that bug you, or names you're sick of hearing?

Now here’s a thread I can get behind! :smiley:

GIRLS:
[name]Addison[/name]
[name]Aubrey[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Brooklyn[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Genesis[/name]
[name]Kayla[/name]
[name]Kaylee[/name]
[name]Kylie[/name]
[name]Madison[/name]
[name]Makayla[/name]
[name]Nevaeh[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Reagan[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]

BOYS:
[name]Brayden[/name]
[name]Cayden[/name]
[name]Jayden[/name]
[name]Landon[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Tucker[/name]

I guess I can handle most boys’ names better. Haha.

Any creatively spelled name. It doesn’t make you unique, it makes you look illiterate. Plus, its an unnecessary pain in the bum for your kid.

[name]Aidan[/name] which was a perfectly fine boys’ name until it became mutilated beyond recognition with all of its misspelled variants.

Any name ending in -son for either gender. Unless your son is actually some descendant of [name]Jack[/name], [name]James[/name] or whoever else.

I know [name]Nevaeh[/name] has been mentioned a ton, but I would like to add that it looks like a stripper name.

Sorry if I offended anyone. It felt so good to rant that I couldn’t contain myself.

Best topic ever!

I just want to put this out there…

here in the US we had a horrible, awful incident occur in a little town in [name]Texas[/name] called [name]Jasper[/name]. 1998. Awful, racist, cruel incident. I do not live there, but had to shop there a few times as it is the closest town to a lake that my in laws had a house on and I am sure that there are lovely people who live there, but still.
ever since this horrible event, I CANNOT even stand the name [name]JASPER[/name] or why in the world you would name your child that. or your poor dog for that matter. I am not sure why this has had such a great impact on me, but I just cringe when I hear it. I understand the appeal if you do not know about this bit of history, but please, google a name before you give it to your child.

that’s my rant. sorry to offend, truly. oh, and a friend of mine just named her sweet, beautiful daughter nevaeh…sigh.

i live in the UK and SO many lovely names have been ruined here
(but on the plus side- I have lived here all my life and never met a [name]Neveah[/name]. how do you even pronounce that??)

i have met SO many Rubys, Islas, Erins, Charlottes and Amelias it is unreal!!!
are they popular names in the US or not?
for boys, all the kids in my son’s nursery class seem to be called [name]Alfie[/name] or [name]George[/name]. both good names, in my opinion. but talk about overkill!

I’ve heard of but never met any Neveahs (Niv-ay-ah, I believe) BUT I remember a time when the name of the moment seemed to be [name]Heavenly[/name]/[name]Heaven[/name]-[name]Leigh[/name]…Bleurgh

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Of course the [name]Brayden[/name], [name]Jayden[/name], [name]Cayden[/name]…etc…etc…

I really can’t stand the [name]Jackson[/name] fad, and even worse the [name]Jaxon[/name] fad.

I can’t stand [name]Katelyn[/name]/[name]Kaitlyn[/name]/Kailtlin/[name]Caitlin[/name]/[name]Catelyn[/name]/[name]Caitlyn[/name] because of all the different spellings.

I used to love [name]Mackenzie[/name] when I was younger, but then all the mack names happened. I really don’t like the [name]Mikayla[/name], [name]Makayla[/name], [name]Mckayla[/name], [name]Mckenna[/name], [name]Mackenna[/name], [name]Makenzie[/name]…etc

This includes: [name]Kayla[/name], [name]Kaylee[/name], [name]Kylie[/name], [name]Kylee[/name], [name]Kyla[/name]…

I’m going to call the following Banal [name]Beige[/name] Names. It”s the khaki pants or vanilla ice cream of naming. These are the new [name]John[/name] and [name]Mary[/name]: flat, mundane, and square. From schools to books and films, they”re often the undistinguished classics that are just overused everywhere and see no signs of stopping. Although you can”t really love or hate them, it often reflects the uncritical eye of parents and writers.

[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Virginia[/name]

[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]Patrick[/name]
[name]Philip[/name]

Why don”t you choose something less drab and unimpressive? Your children or even characters could do better.

oh dear, i would love to use a lot of these (if they weren’t so popular)
i think eliza, nora, virginia are all gorgeous… and actually those 3 are very uncommon in the UK!
also i love george and hugh (george is v v v popular, but hugh is a rare one over here!)

its funny how peoples ideas of the same name are so different :slight_smile: X

I think it is so interesting how popularity can vary by location. Around here, I am most definitely tired of hearing:
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Riley[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name]/[name]Abby[/name]
[name]Ella[/name]/[name]Elle[/name]/[name]Ellie[/name] (why must everyone choose the nickname [name]Ellie[/name] for any name that happens to have an “el” in it? :? They are everywhere!)

For boys,
[name]Jack[/name]/[name]Jackson[/name]/[name]Jaxon[/name]
[name]Logan[/name]

I’m surprised no one has mentioned [name]Bentley[/name]. The “name” seriously makes me cringe.

[name]SADIE[/name] [name]SADIE[/name]! WHY Did all of the sudden [name]Sadie[/name] blew up and EVERYONE is using it…It for ever shall remind me of The Marishi(Sexy [name]Sadie[/name]) Which isn’t a lovely thing!
[name]Ava[/name], Its boring and it seems like everyone uses it
[name]Bently[/name] cringes It sounds like something painful xD
[name]Lily[/name]-[name]Isabella[/name]-[name]Sophia/name I use to love them all…But are painfully popular
[name]Kaylee[/name]/Kaiyleeea (really is there an “original” way to spell it?) It just sounds like a baby form of [name]Kayla[/name](Which is pretty bad its self) I hear [name]Kaylee[/name] all the time I HATE that name
[name]Katelyn[/name]/[name]Kate[/name]/[name]Kaylin[/name].
[name]John[/name]…Yes really, There so meaning freaking people named [name]John[/name] in this bloody world(Though I do like [name]Johnnie[/name] for a girl…Is that bad? :roll: )
[name]Leah[/name]…I hear it alot and it just doesn’t sound “good”
[name]Jackson[/name], Really is he jack’s son?..I actually like [name]Jack[/name] by its self but the -son added to it is terrible… sigh I wont be surprised if people start naming there daughters [name]Jackson[/name] next :?
[name]Virginia[/name] Something bothers me about [name]Virginia[/name] I don’t know what it is
[name]Liam[/name]…Really when ever I see it all I think is “Yep, more mail backwards” Plus the sound of it is just annoying
[name]Clementine[/name], It just sounds ugly
[name]Allison[/name].And why are they ALWAYS called [name]Allie[/name]?
[name]Alexis[/name] It just sounds awful
[name]Mikayla[/name] Ugh adding a Mik to [name]Kayla[/name] doesn’t make it better dear
[name]Peyton[/name] It sounds like a city then a baby, But I have heard a ton of them
[name]Caroline[/name] It isn’t bad just popular

I know I hate more, I’ll get back with you on that. Gosh that sure felt good getting that out xD

[name]Madison[/name]. I hate this name. I hate it, loathe it, despise it. [name]Just[/name] reading the name sets my teeth on edge. The name [name]Madison[/name] brings to mind those bratty little first graders with perfectly curled hair who wear hoop earrings from age 6, talk like [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Montana[/name] and dress like they’re 16. Same goes for [name]Addison[/name], [name]Allison[/name], [name]Abigail[/name], [name]Dana[/name], [name]Haley[/name] and [name]Brittany[/name]. I also hate it when people attempt to be “kreeatif” with the spelling of their children’s names, particularly the variants of [name]Haley[/name] and when people change an i to a y or vise-versa. Not only does it annoy me, the latter makes me question the parent’s sanity. Please let this trend end soon. :x
[name]Man[/name], it felt really good to get that out there. :slight_smile:

I also don’t like names that seem like the onomastic equivalent of choking on a large quantity of flowery perfume - Evangeline, Clementine, Wilhelmina etc.

:smiley: Oh my God I just laughed out loud. Best thing I have ever seen on Nameberry!

An odd perspective to say the least. Considering most of those names are rarely given to children anymore, they’re not very bland at all. I find [name]Madison[/name] and [name]Jackson[/name] a lot more bland than [name]George[/name] or [name]Virginia[/name].

triceratops,

Look at the top 100 list and then the top 1000. These fashionable classics are really rampant. [name]Do[/name] you know how many isabels there are? [name]Isabella[/name]'s #1 and all the other variations of it are overly popular. [name]Rose[/name] as a middle name has been done to death. There’s also a reason why there are lists for “If you like [name]Edward[/name]/[name]Henry[/name], you may like…” I don’t think you’ve been to a preschool around New [name]York[/name] or LA recently.

I didn’t say they were ALL unpopular. [name]Isabel[/name]/bella, [name]Rose[/name] as a middle, and [name]Jack[/name] are all very popular, but [name]Frances[/name], [name]Phillip[/name], [name]Patrick[/name], and [name]Margaret[/name]? Hardly running rampant even in the most posh of preschools. And no, for the record I don’t live in LA or NY. My impression of that list was that the user finds “classics” boring, rather than the fact certain classics are popular.

I’m bored with them. These are the current ranking of my Banal [name]Beige[/name] Names:

[name]Alice[/name] - 258
[name]Charlotte[/name] - 68
[name]Claire[/name] - 53
[name]Eleanor[/name] - 218
[name]Eliza[/name] - 278
[name]Frances[/name] - 802
[name]Grace[/name] - 17
[name]Isabel[/name] - 110
[name]Julia[/name] - 50
[name]Lucy[/name] - 101
[name]Madeline[/name] - 64
[name]Margaret[/name] - 187
[name]Nora[/name] - 197
[name]Rose[/name] - 352
[name]Virginia[/name] - 617

[name]Charles[/name] - 64
[name]Edward[/name] - 137
[name]Frederick[/name] - 536
[name]George[/name] - 163
[name]Henry[/name] - 71
[name]Hugh[/name] - 988
[name]Jack[/name] - 42
[name]Patrick[/name] - 129
[name]Philip[/name] - 395

I look for more eclectic names that are stylish that have not been in the Top 1000 for the past 20 years. Names I like are [name]Delia[/name], [name]Dinah[/name], and [name]Barnaby[/name]. You see these names especially in books, films, and television. Some classics have become tired hence these are the new [name]John[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] for me. I feel indifferent to names that aren’t very forward thinking or at least chic.

[name]Even[/name] the lower ranking “beige” names like [name]Frances[/name] and [name]Hugh[/name] seem to be only going to be higher on the list in a few years. As a New Yorker by way of Greenwich, CT, I’ve seen a lot of these names while growing up on other kids and parents. I’m not sure these are the “new [name]John[/name] and [name]Mary[/name]” though since I see [name]Michael[/name] and [name]Jennifer[/name] filling those spots. Basicsand’s list doesn’t bug me but I could see how she’s sick of hearing them. Finding names not in the top 1000 for the past 20 years would be really limiting.

Firstly, I’ve seen your Eclectic Names thread/list. You can’t come up with more than a dozen names dear that haven’t been on the top 1000 since around 1990. [name]Truly[/name] unique names especially good ones don’t stay off the list long.

Next, i’m picking up what you’re putting down when it comes to these names. I’m a New Yorker living in Los [name]Angeles[/name]. You can’t swing a stick on a school playground without hitting one of these names. I hear you when you call it beige. Some of the hormonal pregnant ladies, working writers of either sex, and gentlemen daddies maybe dissed at the banal part. They used to call it “Volvo Names” or “Millennial Names” to lessen the blah. Or just call it “Names Grandma Won’t Be Shocked At”.