Names that end with an "e" letter but "ah" sound!

The topic on the Irish name L”le (lee-la) posted by another poster, got me thinking how much I would love to find a some more names that end with the letter “e” but an “uh” or “ah” sound.

The only other ones I can think of are [name]Isolde[/name] and [name]Marlene[/name] (when it’s pronounced [name]Mar[/name]-lay-nuh which it isn’t always)…

Help guys! I know you’ll have some gems :slight_smile: I think it just gives the name a wonderful lilting quality.

I’m glad my post got you thinking! :slight_smile:

The first name I thought of was [name]Xanthe[/name] when pronounced zan-tha. Some others…

[name]Aoife[/name] (ee-fa)
[name]Aine[/name] (awn-ya)
[name]Caoimhe[/name] (kee-va)
[name]Alouette[/name]
[name]Deirdre[/name]
[name]Elke[/name]
[name]Ariadne[/name] (can be pronounced air-ee-ad-nuh)
[name]Saoirse[/name]

That’s all I can think of right now. [name]Hope[/name] this helps!

My name does: Minuette. The others I can think of have already been suggested. A lot of the names ending in ette are pronounced with the eh sound on the end.

[name]Minnie[/name] x

[name]Else[/name] is one that comes to mind.

There’s [name]Caoimhe[/name] (like KEE-va) and [name]Silke[/name], too.

Also, in [name]German[/name] if a word ends in a consonant and then E, the E is pronounced as ‘ah’. Obviously, if you didn’t live in Germany then it would just cause confusion if you used [name]Anne[/name] or [name]Charlotte[/name] and then wanted it pronounced [name]Anna[/name] or [name]Charlotta[/name], but I’ve met some British people with [name]German[/name] names such as [name]Annaliese[/name] or [name]Lieselotte[/name], who seemed to have very few pronunciation issues with their names here.

There’s a great, extensive list of [name]German[/name] names on www.behindthename.com.

[name]Auburn[/name]

[name]Xanthe[/name] (ex-AHN-thuh)

[name]Sanne[/name] is one of my favorites- it’s SAH-na

[name]Marijke[/name] or [name]Marike[/name] (mah [name]RYE[/name] kah) is Dutch and I think it’s lovely.

[name]Just[/name] wanted to second the idea of [name]German[/name] names/words. Like the earlier poster said, as long as you don’t use a name which is commonly pronounced with a silent “e” on the end in English, most of them would work. [name]Anneliese[/name] (Ahn-a-lee-za) is my personal favourite but there are probably some great word names too.

Dutch as well - saved this list from

Lieke- [name]LEE[/name]-kuh
Femke- FEM-kuh
Myrthe- MIR-tuh
Feline- [name]Fay[/name]-[name]LEE[/name]-nuh (this one would have problems in English)
Imke- IM-kuh

Thanks guys, some awesome ideas!

I particularly like:

[name]Marike[/name]
Lieke (not sure if there’d be teasing in English…leaker?)
[name]Anneliese[/name] (but I’m so used to pronouning it [name]Ann[/name]-uh-leese and not sure I could get out of that!)
[name]Sanne[/name] (I adore this and have for I while but my partner doesn’t love it!)
[name]Aine[/name] (but think there’d be way too many pronunciation problems!)
[name]Elka[/name] (but believe it or not I actually know one! lol)

I also recently found the name [name]Alile[/name] but I’m not sure exactly how it’s pronounced because I’ve found conflicting views online. I also don’t like the meaning (something about saddness or tearful if I remember right!).

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

[name]Ilse[/name] and [name]Anke[/name] come to mind.