Names That Make You Cringe?

What are some names that actually make you cringe when you hear them, but others may like them? This is not intended to put down others’ favourite names or to single out terrible names, just to see what names personally you find displeasing to the ear, but other people like? For me, one of them is [name]Ernestine[/name], and I know many people like it but I can’t stand it when I hear it. Others that I know several people really like but I dislike are [name]Vanessa[/name] and [name]Veronica[/name]. I just don’t like the way they sound. Sorry if all of you do. :slight_smile:

So, what are some names you find cringe-worthy?

I knew a nice lady named [name]Bertha[/name] when I was young and even as a small child I cringed every time I heard her name. I’ve known a [name]Beulah[/name] all my life and I don’t find that name very appealing either. Other names that aren’t nice to hear: [name]Mildred[/name], [name]Myrtle[/name] and [name]Gertrude[/name]. [name]Nevaeh[/name] has a special place all her own. As far as boys names, I cringe every time I hear [name]Maverick[/name], [name]Knox[/name], [name]Jayden[/name] and all of his rhyming cousins, [name]Jagger[/name] and [name]Parker[/name].

[name]Vanessa[/name], [name]Veronica[/name], [name]Brittany[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Nikki[/name], [name]Lexi[/name], [name]Alex[/name], [name]Bianca[/name]

I apologize to anyone who loves or is named [name]Sherry[/name], [name]Sheryl[/name], [name]Cheryl[/name], [name]Cheri[/name] or [name]Suri[/name]…all of these are shrill to my ear.

Also- so much [name]Veronica[/name] hate already!! It’s one I was considering & my 11 yr old cousin begged me not to saying it’s a mean sounding name!

I can’t stand [name]Amanda[/name] for some reason. I don’t know why…

I agree with [name]Bertha[/name] and [name]Beulah[/name]!

Other names: [name]Gertrude[/name], [name]Heather[/name], Miette, [name]Marnie[/name], [name]Yolanda[/name], [name]Ida[/name], [name]Cosette[/name]
[name]Brody[/name], [name]Benjamin[/name], [name]Kellan[/name], [name]Ernest[/name], [name]Wayne[/name], [name]Braden[/name]

[name]Penelope[/name]. To my ears when people say it is sounds like “penile pee”…

[name]Veronica[/name], [name]Vanessa[/name], [name]Eunice[/name], [name]Blanche[/name], [name]Mildred[/name], [name]Celeste[/name], [name]Nevaeh[/name], [name]Jocelyn[/name], [name]Regina[/name], [name]Ramona[/name], [name]Wanda[/name], [name]Cosette[/name], [name]Bliss[/name], Sarimah, [name]Caleb[/name], [name]Bertha[/name], [name]Myrna[/name], [name]Beulah[/name], [name]Sydney[/name], [name]Gladys[/name], [name]Dorcas[/name], [name]Hortense[/name], [name]Dwayne[/name], [name]Norbert[/name], [name]Maurice[/name], [name]Hyman[/name], [name]Elmer[/name], [name]Melvin[/name], [name]Phyllis[/name], [name]Sherry[/name], [name]Brandy[/name].

And that’s just going by the sound of the name itself, if I included all the creative spelling names and bell-tone sing songy names that are popular today that annoy me it’d be a longer list.

Also, car names on kids like [name]Lexus[/name], [name]Chevy[/name], [name]Camry[/name], etc.

Overly cutesy food names like [name]Honey[/name], [name]Sugar[/name], [name]Cherry[/name], etc

People naming kids after places they have no connection to or have never even been: [name]Brooklyn[/name], [name]Savannah[/name], [name]India[/name], etc

[name]Declan[/name], [name]Neveah[/name] and any of the Jaydens/Aidens/Kaidens shudder

[name]Silas[/name], I just can’t stand how slimy it sounds.

I like [name]Veronica[/name]!

My girl cringe names:
[name]Ramona[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Madeleine[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name].

My boy cringe names:
[name]Flynn[/name], [name]Declan[/name], [name]Maverick[/name], [name]Humbert[/name].

[name]Vanessa[/name]-- sometimes I can take it, but other times all I hear is a snake hissing…

I’m with you on [name]Vanessa[/name]. [name]Veronica[/name] is a little more tolerable to me somehow.

Most names that make me cringe are ones that are mega-popular, yet people are using them thinking they’re making a “different” or distinctive choice. I seriously know someone who named their child [name]Mason[/name] because they didn’t want “just another [name]John[/name] or [name]David[/name].” Um. [name]Mason[/name] IS today’s [name]John[/name] or [name]David[/name]. It’s freaking #2 on the charts!

Or names that are yet. another. take. on a played-out trend. [name]Jayden[/name], [name]Ayden[/name], [name]Kayden[/name], [name]Zayden[/name], [name]Brayden[/name], [name]Hayden[/name]… just… STOP!

Or names that are an attempt to be a “new” spin on a trendy name. Like, hmm, there are too many [name]Emily[/name]'s, so how about [name]Emma[/name]! Oh, wait… now there’s too many [name]Emma[/name]'s. Oh, I know! [name]Ella[/name]! Etc., etc., etc.

Or names that are a blatant rip-off of a name from pop culture or a celebrity name. [name]Khloe[/name] is #49? Seriously?!

And then of course, youneek spellings of names.

Oh and, the popularity of [name]Nevaeh[/name] is evidence to me of how intellectually bankrupt the general American population is. That is all.

I spit coffee when I read this. [name]Penelope[/name] is one that I like the sound of, but at the same time my ears are sorting it, my brain just thinks of my stepdad saying “Peen-uh-lope”. Argh.

I also agree with the [name]Sheryl[/name]/[name]Sherry[/name]'s. The reason is two-fold: 1) Not a fan of the “share” sound even in regular words (yes I’m selfish!;)) 2) The ridiculous amount of ways to spell them is as frustrating as the [name]Caitlin[/name] phenomenon - my sister’s name is spelled [name]Sheri[/name] (why???).

My mom’s name is [name]Sherri[/name]. She never really talks about her name, but I can see the annoyance with the different spellings.

There is too many for me to put all of them down but these are a few I cannot stand:
[name]August[/name]/[name]Augustus[/name]/[name]Augusta[/name] - I really tried to like them, but it didn’t work
[name]Gertrude[/name]
[name]Geraldine[/name]
[name]Jordan[/name]/[name]Jordyn[/name]
[name]Brett[/name] (though I absolutely [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Rhett[/name])
[name]Jett[/name]
[name]Jax[/name]
[name]Hawk[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Brian[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]
[name]Eric[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Helen[/name]
[name]Sue[/name]
[name]Knox[/name]
[name]Jax[/name]
[name]Jaxon[/name]/[name]Jackson[/name]

And pretty much all of the chav names

I agree that it’s annoying when people don’t look into what names are really popular. A friend of mine wants to use the name [name]Sophia[/name] and seemed really surprised when I told him how many people are using it. [name]Just[/name] because none of your friends in their 20s or 30s have a name, doesn’t mean it’s unique to the under-5 crowd.

I have to jump on with the others who dislike [name]Sherry[/name]. I’d like to add [name]Brandy[/name] to that. And any other names that are types of booze–it’s just a negative association for me to use those on a child.

I thought I post but maybe I hit cancel on accident? Anyways I apologize if this is a double post.

[name]Heather[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Marnie[/name], [name]Cosette[/name], [name]Bertha[/name], [name]Ernestine[/name], [name]Opal[/name], Miette
[name]Braden[/name], [name]Brody[/name], [name]Ernest[/name], [name]Homer[/name], [name]Ernest[/name], [name]Wayne[/name], [name]Benjamin[/name], [name]Kellan[/name], [name]Oscar[/name]

What is it about [name]Maverick[/name] that makes you cringe? I’m just intrigued because any future nephew I have is likely to be called [name]Maverick[/name] [name]Cole[/name], nn Mav. They’ve always had really positive feedback on the name. It’s not my cup of tea really either, but just interested to know lol.

My boy cringes…
[name]Cruz[/name] (I love it but it’s the right sort of person that can pull it off), [name]Sam[/name], [name]Thomas[/name], [name]Kyle[/name], [name]Jayden[/name] and the rest of the rhyming gang.

My girl cringes…
[name]Nevaeh[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Emily[/name] and [name]Kaleigh[/name]/[name]Kayla[/name]/[name]Kylee[/name] etc.

I agree with all your girl names except [name]Penelope[/name]. I can deal with that one but the others…nope.