Names That Make You Cringe?

What kungfualex said :stuck_out_tongue:

I did not make up Xenon though!

[name]Hannah[/name] and [name]Peyton[/name] definitely. I really can’t stand those names.

For me, it’s [name]Beth[/name] and [name]Hugo[/name]. IDK why either. And names like [name]Neveah[/name]/[name]Nevaeh[/name] and [name]Renesmee[/name], of course.

Can’t stand [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]August[/name]. There are more but those two stand out.

[name]Amelia[/name] - the sound of it makes me cringe. I cannot stand it.

I agree with you there. I don’t understand the popularity of them on here at all.

Also [name]Bree[/name]/[name]Bri[/name] names grate on me awfully, I can’t stand them. [name]Brianna[/name], [name]Briella[/name] - eugh. [name]Aubrey[/name]'s the worst for me, I think. I don’t like [name]Audrey[/name] either, it’s an old lady name to me and doesn’t suit a child at all. I don’t like overly frilly princessy names either, they just make me think that child’s going to be a spoilt brat. And any of the trendy rhyming [name]Aidan[/name] names (not [name]Aidan[/name] itself though) and the -son/mac- names on girls, both mean son of. And boys names on girls but spelt wrong to look more feminine - eg Elliette. Eugh. [name]Just[/name] use [name]Ellie[/name] or [name]Charlotte[/name] or something, or leave [name]Elliot[/name] for a son.

Actually, just thought of my most disliked girls’ name - Genevieve. I don’t know what it is about it but the jenna-veev pronunciation is horrible to me, I don’t find the French way of john-vee-ev as bad though I still don’t like it that much.

I agree with most of the names previously mentioned and my biggest cringe names are [name]Chloe[/name]. To me, (and I know this doesn’t apply to every [name]Chloe[/name]) [name]Chloe[/name] is a mean name. Because of my work with camps and drama I know at least one [name]Chloe[/name] in each grade between pre-k through 12 (I guess it really tool off in my area) and every one I have met has been a lot less than kind to both me and other kids or actors. I apologize to anyone who likes or has a [name]Chloe[/name].

Soo many names make me cringe.

Cooper- reminds me of people catching chickens
Ryker- I just don’t see the appeal
Sophia- it’s gorgeous but so overused I can’t stand it
Grady/Brady- the sound, yuck!
Jedediah- I want to like it but it sounds like someone is stuttering
Phoenix- don’t know why.
Marley- all I can think of is Bob
Blaise/Blaze- “to blaze” is to smoke weed where I’m from
Zoe- My name is Zoie, and idk why I just can’t stand hearing it.
Bo/Beau- blech.
Braxton- like the hicks? The sound isn’t nice either.
Jackson- I guess the harsh x sound in this and Braxton bug me
Leonard- It looks ugly. One letter off from leotard. Or leopard.
Paisley- it just doesn’t sound nice
Poppy- it’s way too nicknamey.

Oh yes [name]Spyro[/name] - I agree with [name]Poppy[/name]. As well as being nicknamey, I think it sounds too much like puppy!

[name]Addison[/name], etc. (the letters [name]SON[/name] = boy. Changing the spelling to [name]Addisyn[/name] doesn’t help. It still means [name]Adam[/name]'s son)
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Amity[/name] - just reminds me of Amityville Horror shiver
[name]Angel[/name]/[name]Angela[/name]/[name]Angelica[/name]/[name]Angelina[/name]
[name]Brandy[/name]
[name]Callie[/name]/[name]Caleigh[/name], etc.
[name]Christine[/name]/[name]Christina[/name]/[name]Chrystal[/name]/[name]Christy[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Jacqueline[/name]/[name]Jaclyn[/name]/[name]Jackie[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Mariah[/name]
[name]Marian[/name]
[name]Muriel[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Ursula[/name]

[name]Benton[/name]
[name]Braxton[/name] (I totally agree with pp. We feel [name]Braxton[/name] Hicks contractions for months, and that’s what you want to name your precious little one?)
[name]Daniel[/name]
[name]Edgar[/name]
[name]Elliott[/name]
[name]Eugene[/name]
[name]Frank[/name] Double Shiver
[name]Geoffrey[/name] - why this one gets to me, but [name]Jeffrey[/name] is somewhat acceptable, I’ll never know
[name]Mason[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Patrick[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Preston[/name]
[name]Stetson[/name]
[name]Travis[/name]
[name]Trevor[/name]

Ha ha ha ha!! I am laughing very loudly at my stupidity right now. That’s hilarious. I totally thought that was a name. [name]Just[/name] goes to show how low my expectations are, I suppose. Thank goodness it’s not actually a name though. Phew!

MaggieMary- I never made that connection! Now that will be stuck in my head every time I hear of [name]Poppy[/name]. Yuck. I also can’t get over the “pop” in it. Poppycorn anyone?

Without being attached to a live person, these names make me cringe. However, I might feel differently if I got to know someone with these names:
Girls: [name]Thelma[/name], [name]Hulda[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Eugenia[/name], [name]Eugenie[/name], [name]Beulah[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Gertrude[/name], [name]Myrtle[/name], [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Luna[/name], [name]Lola[/name], [name]Mia[/name], [name]Khloe[/name], [name]Mallory[/name], [name]Diedre[/name], [name]Rhiannon[/name], [name]Guadalupe[/name], [name]Hortense[/name], [name]Coco[/name], [name]Juno[/name]
Boys: [name]Cody[/name], [name]Casey[/name], [name]Declan[/name], [name]Hugo[/name], [name]Felix[/name], [name]Otto[/name], [name]Beau[/name], [name]Cooper[/name], [name]Duncan[/name], [name]Kevin[/name], [name]Kermit[/name], [name]Elmer[/name], [name]Elmo[/name], [name]Toby[/name], [name]Wyatt[/name], [name]Dexter[/name], [name]Kelly[/name], [name]Fergus[/name], [name]Gomer[/name], [name]Cletus[/name], [name]Seamus[/name], [name]Cosmo[/name]

I don’t like really old names like [name]Gertrude[/name], [name]Carol[/name], and[name]Bertha[/name] like one user said. Along with kayden,brayden,-ayden anything… except [name]Hayden[/name], I actually like that name. I also don’t like [name]Agnes[/name], [name]Jenna[/name], neveah, seraphina, tanya, [name]Raquel[/name] and I think that’s it.

[name]Genevieve[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name]. Look quite nice on the page, sound totally horrible. To me, anyway.

[name]Merle[/name] (girl) which is very popular in Denmark atm and [name]Hugo[/name] do that to me. There are others too like [name]Tyler[/name], [name]Teagan[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], Alberthe (Girl) and for some reason [name]Ethan[/name]! I think [name]Ethan[/name] is a bad association thing though.

i agree with many of the names mentioned here as cringe-worthy–
i’ll add only one more-- [name]Cohen[/name]. it’s either disrespectful, or pronounced like it’s spelled Cone even worse. don’t know why anybody would do that to a child!
this is a great thread!

[name]Maeve[/name] for a girl and [name]Colin[/name] for a boy and [name]Taylor[/name] as the unisex name.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: [name]ISABELLA[/name]. I used to be okay with this name, [name]Bella[/name] Swan has ruined it for me. Like, completely. Also, any “yooneek” spelled names. If you wanna name your child [name]McKinley[/name]. that’s fine, but let’s stick with the actual spelling, huh? Not MacKenlee or whatever.

pinkpenguin, I couldn’t agree more!