Names that will NEVER make a comeback?

What are some names that haven’t aged well, and will probably never make a comeback? I can think of one on the spot: Gaylord.

7 Likes

[name_m]Adolf[/name_m]

21 Likes

[name_m]Fidel[/name_m]

4 Likes

YES

Adolf
Gay
Gwendolyn
Karen (Maybe.)
Becky
ALL “Aidan” names

2 Likes

Probably [name_f]Fanny[/name_f]

13 Likes

I LOVE [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]! Out of curiosity, why do you not think it will make a comeback?

10 Likes

Norma - Because it’s a dated name and sounds like normal and norm
Lemon - Because it’s one of those word names that not everyone likes and wouldn’t age well
Sunshine - See Lemon, also is too much of a nickname

4 Likes

I agree about [name_m]Gaylord[/name_m] and [name_u]Gay[/name_u].
Basically anything that has an embarassing meaning nowadays. E.g.
[name_m]Dick[/name_m]
[name_f]Fanny[/name_f]
[name_m]Oral[/name_m] (this name used to be fairly common in the US, in the early 20th century)

Also, names associated with infamous persons e.g. [name_m]Adolf[/name_m], Saddam, Osama (though, to be fair, the last two were never common in the Western world to begin wth).

10 Likes

Anything that can be seen as rude or inappropriate now, so [name_m]Gaylord[/name_m], [name_f]Fanny[/name_f], [name_m]Dick[/name_m]. And then names that sound horrid like [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f]. Hopefully no baby Adolfs and [name_m]Josef[/name_m] just reminds me of Fritzl.

5 Likes

Names that probably won’t ever come back:

[name_f]Dorcas[/name_f]
[name_f]Bertha[/name_f]
[name_f]Gertrude[/name_f]
[name_f]Hortense[/name_f]
[name_f]Dolores[/name_f]
[name_m]Adolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Hancock[/name_m]
[name_m]Dick[/name_m]
[name_m]Oral[/name_m] (agree with choupette)

Names I wish won’t ever come back:

[name_m]Donald[/name_m]
[name_m]Harvey[/name_m]
[name_m]Strom[/name_m]
[name_m]Rush[/name_m]

2 Likes

Agreed.

At least where I live, it’s kind of a joke name. Also, very dated.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is a possibility, but maybe [name_f]Lolita[/name_f]? I don’t know if anyone is really naming their kid this because of the book and bad association with the name.

11 Likes

Actually, it’s used in Spanish speaking cultures somewhat regularly. I have a teenage [name_f]Lolita[/name_f] right now in my class. She goes by [name_f]Lita[/name_f].

4 Likes

ah I didn’t know this! That’s interesting though!

1 Like

I agree with @Scottie491. [name_f]Lolita[/name_f] is also fairly common in some Eastern European countries and in [name_f]France[/name_f], to my understanding. I don’t know if the book is the main association in those places or not.

1 Like

[name_m]Ian[/name_m]
[name_u]Barry[/name_u]
[name_m]Steven[/name_m]
Maybe these types of names?

2 Likes

Ahh my family is from Serbia and [name_f]Lolita[/name_f] isn’t really used as a name over there, but in other Eastern European countries and [name_f]France[/name_f] it probably is ! I didn’t know about that, so it’s interesting to learn something new about that name for me! Thanks for more info about this name!

2 Likes

Josef is still very popular in several countries, including Austria and Sweden. I know two little Josefs. I think it’s a lovely name and perfectly usable.

3 Likes

[name_f]Isis[/name_f], despite it being a stunning name

18 Likes

What is wrong with [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]? :frowning: Is there any bad social association? Sorry, I really don’t know!

4 Likes