Names that will NEVER make a comeback?

What are some names that haven’t aged well, and will probably never make a comeback? I can think of one on the spot: Gaylord.

5 Likes

[name_m]Adolf[/name_m]

18 Likes

[name_m]Fidel[/name_m]

2 Likes

YES

[name_m]Adolf[/name_m]
[name_u]Gay[/name_u]
[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Karen[/name_f] (Maybe.)
[name_f]Becky[/name_f]
ALL “Aidan” names

1 Like

Probably [name_f]Fanny[/name_f]

12 Likes

I LOVE [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]! Out of curiosity, why do you not think it will make a comeback?

10 Likes

Norma - Because it’s a dated name and sounds like normal and norm
Lemon - Because it’s one of those word names that not everyone likes and wouldn’t age well
Sunshine - See Lemon, also is too much of a nickname

4 Likes

I agree about [name_m]Gaylord[/name_m] and [name_u]Gay[/name_u].
Basically anything that has an embarassing meaning nowadays. E.g.
[name_m]Dick[/name_m]
[name_f]Fanny[/name_f]
[name_m]Oral[/name_m] (this name used to be fairly common in the US, in the early 20th century)

Also, names associated with infamous persons e.g. [name_m]Adolf[/name_m], Saddam, Osama (though, to be fair, the last two were never common in the Western world to begin wth).

9 Likes

Anything that can be seen as rude or inappropriate now, so [name_m]Gaylord[/name_m], [name_f]Fanny[/name_f], [name_m]Dick[/name_m]. And then names that sound horrid like [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f]. Hopefully no baby Adolfs and [name_m]Josef[/name_m] just reminds me of Fritzl.

2 Likes

Names that probably won’t ever come back:

[name_f]Dorcas[/name_f]
[name_f]Bertha[/name_f]
[name_f]Gertrude[/name_f]
[name_f]Hortense[/name_f]
[name_f]Dolores[/name_f]
[name_m]Adolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Hancock[/name_m]
[name_m]Dick[/name_m]
[name_m]Oral[/name_m] (agree with choupette)

Names I wish won’t ever come back:

[name_m]Donald[/name_m]
[name_m]Harvey[/name_m]
[name_m]Strom[/name_m]
[name_m]Rush[/name_m]

1 Like

Agreed.

At least where I live, it’s kind of a joke name. Also, very dated.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is a possibility, but maybe [name_f]Lolita[/name_f]? I don’t know if anyone is really naming their kid this because of the book and bad association with the name.

9 Likes

Actually, it’s used in Spanish speaking cultures somewhat regularly. I have a teenage [name_f]Lolita[/name_f] right now in my class. She goes by [name_f]Lita[/name_f].

4 Likes

ah I didn’t know this! That’s interesting though!

1 Like

I agree with @Scottie491. [name_f]Lolita[/name_f] is also fairly common in some Eastern European countries and in [name_f]France[/name_f], to my understanding. I don’t know if the book is the main association in those places or not.

1 Like

maybe [name_m]Chad[/name_m]? lol

2 Likes

[name_m]Ian[/name_m]
[name_u]Barry[/name_u]
[name_m]Steven[/name_m]
Maybe these types of names?

1 Like

Ahh my family is from Serbia and [name_f]Lolita[/name_f] isn’t really used as a name over there, but in other Eastern European countries and [name_f]France[/name_f] it probably is ! I didn’t know about that, so it’s interesting to learn something new about that name for me! Thanks for more info about this name!

2 Likes

[name_m]Josef[/name_m] is still very popular in several countries, including [name_f]Austria[/name_f] and [name_u]Sweden[/name_u]. I know two little Josefs. I think it’s a lovely name and perfectly usable.

3 Likes

[name_f]Isis[/name_f], despite it being a stunning name

16 Likes