Names that will NEVER make a comeback?

[name_m]Ian[/name_m] is my brother’s name lol. He’s a teenager and I don’t think it’s dated. I know 2 other Ians, one is 11 and one is 6 (spelled [name_m]Ean[/name_m] though).

7 Likes

Cool. I won’t be around then :rofl:

2 Likes

I guess it depends what generation you are from :blush: these names feel dated to me but I know the names were popular with the baby boomer generation perhaps.

@josieaitken & @anon25197097 I think it depends on your location, as well :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Makes sense! UK here.

2 Likes

It is funny! How they become popular somewhere else at a different time to other places.

Oh, I do hope [name_f]Isis[/name_f] comes back. I know an [name_f]Isis[/name_f] who is 24, and a guy!! The terrorist organisation doesn’t cross my mind anymore when I say his name. Fingers crossed for its revival in the future.

3 Likes

It’s not “Aidan” itself for me. I love that classic name. It’s [name_u]Ayden[/name_u], [name_u]Aden[/name_u], [name_u]Adin[/name_u], [name_u]Jayden[/name_u], [name_m]Kaiden[/name_m], [name_u]Brayden[/name_u], [name_u]Hayden[/name_u], Thayden, [name_m]Zaiden[/name_m], etc. etc. I work in an elementary school . . . If you utter the name [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] or attach any consonant to the beginning, you will likely get multiple responses within a 10 foot radius.

3 Likes

One of my good friends is named [name_f]Melissa[/name_f]. She’s [name_u]French[/name_u], so maybe it’s more popular there?

2 Likes

I’ve known a [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] or two, so it’s definitely not a dead name. But I didn’t realize how come-back-able it was! [name_m]Long[/name_m] live [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] :+1:

3 Likes

I get that [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] names had a but of a period where they were overused but I bet they’ll cycle back. What’s wrong with [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]? It’s a bit old fashioned but I don’t see it as a name that’s sort of forever tainted.

5 Likes

I think it was already out of fashion as it was associated with middle age but I think it will cycle back- probably not for a long time though.

1 Like

I really hope that [name_f]Chastity[/name_f] dies out. I’m sure it’s going down and I think that it’s likely to stop being used. I know a Chassidy which I think is good if you like the sound but don’t want the meaning.

2 Likes

I know a [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] who is in her 20s. I’ve never thought of it as being a very “dated” name, though perhaps it depends on your location.

I agree that most “dated” names will be back eventually, if given enough time (like, one hundred years!). When I was a child I thought [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] was a really old-fashioned name, but it’s made a comeback since.

The only names that I really don’t see coming back are those tainted with bad or embarrassing associations.

4 Likes

I don’t see [name_f]Dorcas[/name_f] getting popular for a while if ever.

[name_f]Isis[/name_f] is also one that I’ve heard fairly commonly in Spanish speaking countries where Greek names are used frequently (like Aristides and Dionisio).

With the given trends and comebacks I can see names like [name_m]Norm[/name_m], [name_u]Barry[/name_u], [name_f]Norma[/name_f] and [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f] coming back in the next 10 years or so. Fifteen years ago [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] and [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] sounded so stuffy in the US, and now they’re beloved again.

5 Likes

probably take over 100 years tho

We knew a little girl named [name_f]Fanny[/name_f] in the late 1990s. We thought it was cruel of her parents.

4 Likes

That’s fair. I mean also work in primary school, but we don’t have many [name_u]Ayden[/name_u] variations here, there’s a few Jaydens but that’s it.

[name_u]Gary[/name_u]? Anyone think there’s a chance of a [name_u]Gary[/name_u] resurgence in 50 years or so?:thinking::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Maybe as a nickname for [name_m]Garrett[/name_m] and [name_m]Gareth[/name_m]?

[name_u]Or[/name_u] maybe [name_m]Garrison[/name_m] is going to be the new [name_m]Harrison[/name_m]?