Names that Your S.O. Hates

Hey everyone :smiley:
I didn’t put this under the momberries tag because I’m not a mom, nor planning to be anytime soon. But i do like to come up with hypothetical names with my husband! Sometimes though, it seems like every name I give he thinks is too “out there”, haha!
I thought it might be fun to share some names that we love but have been shot down by our significant others, close friends, or family (or vice versa!)

Here are some of mine…
I’ve always LOVED [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Esme[/name_f], and my husband rejected them immediately (apparently [name_f]Esme[/name_f] reminds him of a Turkish toilet paper company called [name_f]Esmay[/name_f].) He also shot down [name_m]Otto[/name_m], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], [name_m]Xavier[/name_m], and [name_u]Echo[/name_u]. Despite all this (“baby. those names. they aren’t good for me.”)I love him dearly, and the ‘Name Game’ is one of my favorites.

3 Likes

No S.O. here! [name_f]My[/name_f] family hates most of my more unusual names (even though I’m pretty a conservative namer compared to lots of other name berries!) [name_f]My[/name_f] mom thinks that [name_f]Joy[/name_f] and [name_u]June[/name_u] are “old lady names” and she doesn’t like [name_u]Skye[/name_u], [name_f]Freya[/name_f], or [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] boy names are more normal, so she likes those! :blush:

3 Likes

Names I love that my husband doesn’t:
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f]-he knew a snobby girl in high school with this name
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]-he knew another girl with this name that he didn’t like
[name_f]Norah[/name_f]-he doesn’t like it
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]-he isn’t crazy about it, but said we could use it for a third son
Name me nor my family is a big fan of:[name_f]Freya[/name_f] (our new puppy’s name) . [name_f]My[/name_f] husband insisted on this name because he wanted a “tough warrior” sort of name and something different that we wouldn’t use for a human child. So [name_f]Freya[/name_f] it is. It has grown on me a bit, but still not my top pick. I get to name the next dog or cat though lol.

2 Likes

I have the same issue with my family :smiley:
[name_f]Joy[/name_f] has grown on me over the years, and one of my best friends is named [name_u]June[/name_u]- it’s impossible for me to imagine anything but an artistic twenty something year old when I think of that name now!
[name_u]Skye[/name_u] is GORGEOUS. Always loved it

3 Likes

No S.O. here either (yet), though I have a couple of names I’m afraid won’t be liked when the time comes along. :blush:

As to my family, I have a couple I’ve brought up and they didn’t like them because they weren’t the exact name of the honoree (e.g. mom hated [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] to honor [name_u]Lee[/name_u]). The problem with my family is they honor people so many times over that there are multiple people with the same name/nickname, and only one set of Sr/[name_m]Jr[/name_m] in recent years – with a name with NO nickname potential (yes, [name_m]George[/name_m], I’m looking at you). We have multiple Chrises, [name_m]Roberts[/name_m], Jameses, Jeffs, etc. Questions, comments and story time usually ends with “Which one?” or “Why would they be doing that?” or “When did they start…?” because, even with the details, it’s hard to tell who is being talked about. :unamused: I’m loathe to add to this when the time comes even though I would love to honor specific people with some of these names. Ahhh. :thinking: I hope my future S.O. has a better perspective about honoring people than some of my family have shown me so far. :expressionless:

3 Likes

Ha, this is fun!

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband & I don’t really plan on having human children (just pets :blush:), so I try not to bug him too much about my weird name obsession. Yet somehow I still have a handful of names to add to this thread.

[name_m]Nolan[/name_m]-It’s on my top five boy list (top three, really), & he hates it for some reason. [name_m]Just[/name_m] said it sounds stupid.

[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]-Apparently this vintage beautiful classic sounds like a stripper. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]-Yep, this one is a stripper name too to him.

[name_m]Colm[/name_m]-He says this one is too weird. Okay, I get that…it’s out there.

2 Likes

I have a cousin named [name_m]Nolan[/name_m]! We have a sneaking suspicion that my uncle named him after a baseball player.
It’s so funny that he says that about [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] and [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] being stripper names, [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] is just about the chaste-est name I can fathom… [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] (which I love) seems like maybe, if anything, it would be more an ‘old lady’ name!
I’m curious to see what my esl husband will say about [name_m]Colm[/name_m]- or moreover, how he’ll pronounce it! I personally think it’s great.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] S/O is pretty chill when it comes to names - we aren’t planning on having kids for a couple years yet, so that might change :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The biggest one for me was [name_m]Boone[/name_m] - it was my favourite boys name, and he vetoed it almost immediately lol. He said it was very “hillbilly”, which I suppose I can see. He also vetoed [name_u]Remington[/name_u] for a girl for the same reason :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

@dejectedpiglet I’m glad you like [name_u]Skye[/name_u]. It’s so funny, because my mom think [name_f]Joy[/name_f] and [name_u]June[/name_u] and too old fashioned, but [name_u]Skye[/name_u] is too “new age-y!” I guess there must be a sweet spot on the middle that’s OK lol!

1 Like

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f], a scandinavian family name on my side. The Office ruined that one for him.

[name_u]Cove[/name_u]. It was going to be our son [name_m]William[/name_m]'s middle name until covid-19 happened. While filling out birth certificate paperwork in the hospital he was unable to get past the association. We last minute gave our baby the same middle name as my husband, [name_u]Rhys[/name_u]. :blush:

4 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband doesn’t like word names—including botanical names. If he thinks of it as a word or flower first and a name second, it’s a no-go. So [name_f]Heather[/name_f]’s OK, because he doesn’t think about that one being a flower. But [name_f]Azalea[/name_f]? No.

On the boys’ side, he outright laughed at [name_u]Tristan[/name_u].

2 Likes

[name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]
[name_f]Cicely[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u]
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f] as a first name
[name_f]Vita[/name_f]
[name_f]Primrose[/name_f]
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]

[name_u]Rafe[/name_u]/[name_u]Rafa[/name_u]
[name_m]Jago[/name_m]
[name_u]Asa[/name_u]
[name_m]Rufus[/name_m]
[name_m]Innes[/name_m]
[name_u]Idris[/name_u]
[name_u]Miles[/name_u]
[name_u]Lupin[/name_u]
[name_m]Florin[/name_m]
[name_m]Tor[/name_m]

He doesn’t hate them, and we do have similar taste, but he wouldn’t use them either.

:sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

[name_m]Just[/name_m] a word of warning, my husband was always very “chill” whenever we discussed baby names. Until we got pregnant that is!! Then he vetoed all the boys names that I loved and thought “we” agreed on except one :joy:
Fortunately the one he doesn’t mind is one of my favourites so when bubs arrives in Nov it will be an [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] if it’s a boy.

1 Like

No SO here, but my family don’t like a lot of my favourites.
[name_u]Kennedy[/name_u] - according to my parents, it’s “too American”
[name_u]Grayson[/name_u] - sounds too girly for a boy, apparently
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] - they think it’s too “frilly”

I could probably think of more, but these are the ones I can remember right now.

1 Like

[name_m]Simon[/name_m] and [name_f]Annabeth[/name_f]. Both vetoed immediately! Apparently he’s only known nasty Simons and [name_f]Annabeth[/name_f] ‘just isn’t nice’. Thanks dear :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hubby instantly screws up his face at [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], both of which I think are super sweet and would consider using… but it’s not to be apparently. Funnily enough, our nephew was named [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] soon after we discussed it. I bring it up every now and then like “see, isn’t it a nice name!”, but he just wrinkles his nose haha. What can you do? :woman_shrugging::joy:

1 Like

I’ve never understood complaints like this. [name_f]Every[/name_f] name comes from somewhere. What does “too insert country here” even mean?

1 Like

Me neither, to be honest (especially this one - [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]'s an Irish name!)

2 Likes

I assume they are thinking of the [name_m]President[/name_m], but connections and connotations don’t always have the slightest thing to do with the origin of a name.

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] partner ruled out a lot of my list because the names were ‘too American’. I guess he just meant that those were names that we associate with the US and he didn’t want to use them?

2 Likes