Names with the nn Posy

So, you were all so helpful with picking a name for my son, that I thought I’d ask all you name experts about the dilemma my friend is having. She loves the name [name]Posy[/name], but isn’t fond of [name]Josephine[/name], which it is traditionally short for. She wants to end up with the name [name]Posy[/name], but doesn’t want that to be her daughter’s full name, as she says it is too cutesy, what about when she’s forty, what if she’s a tomboy, etc. (I can see where she’s coming from).

We have roughly the same taste in names - classic and feminine, unusual, and often ending in ‘-a’ or ‘-ia’/’-ea’. For example, [name]Daphne[/name] and [name]Ambrosia[/name] are favourites.

I hope you can help!

That’s a tough one. Has she considered keeping [name]Posy[/name] (or something similar she doesn’t care for as much, like [name]Josephine[/name]) in the middle? That way she could give her a gorgeous first name but still have a reason to be calling her [name]Posy[/name].

The only names I can really think of that [name]Posy[/name] could come from are ones that contain [name]Rose[/name]. [name]Rose[/name] is nice on it’s own, but there’s also [name]Rosanna[/name] (which I don’t think is that great), [name]Primrose[/name] (very feminine, like [name]Ambrosia[/name]) and [name]Briar[/name] [name]Rose[/name] (comes with the possibility of just using [name]Briar[/name] if she’s a tomboy).

I also think that [name]Penelope[/name] (a classic she probably won’t like if she doesn’t like [name]Josephine[/name]), [name]Paisley[/name] (trendy, yet pretty), [name]Priscilla[/name] (very feminine) or [name]Paloma[/name] (just barely) could work.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Primrose[/name]? x x x

The first name I thought of was

[name]Mariposa[/name] (pronounced [name]Mare[/name] - ih - posa)

It is a street name where I live (as well as a county in [name]California[/name], where [name]Yosemite[/name] is located), but it is actually listed on Nameberry as a “rare, romantic choice”.

Ooh [name]Mariposa[/name], that’s a great one! It means butterfly in Spanish. Very feminine.

You’ve already had some great suggestions! [name]Just[/name] a thought, does [name]Posey[/name] refer to a specific flower, or just a boquet of any type? If it’s a name for flowers in general, then couldn’t you give her any flower name, the call her [name]Posey[/name]? [name]May[/name] be too far of a stretch for you, but it would give you enless options! By the way, [name]Posey[/name] is an adorable name!

What awesome suggestions! Wow! :slight_smile:

[name]Cosette[/name] (Cosy reminds me of [name]Posy[/name])
Something like [name]Priscilla[/name] [name]Cosette[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
Rosamel ([name]Lola[/name], a former poster here, used this…)

I think it would be really cute to use a P name, like [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Priscilla[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], or [name]Phoebe[/name], followed by a “[name]Rose[/name]” middle name, like [name]Rosamund[/name], Rosamel, [name]Rosabelle[/name], etc., which gives the P for [name]Posy[/name] up front, and the “ose” part in the middle.

Best wishes to you and your friend! :slight_smile:

I think [name]Posy[/name] is listed as a possible alternative to [name]Rosy[/name], which indicates any name [name]Rose[/name] or compound name of [name]Rose[/name] would work. [name]Rosemary[/name], [name]Rosemarie[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name], [name]Rosalind[/name], [name]Rosamund[/name], etc. I’m not sure it won’t get her called [name]Rosie[/name] or [name]Romy[/name] in some cases.

There doesn’t seem to be much to work with unless someone just thinks of them, but I also see that [name]Josephine[/name] - where do you get [name]Posy[/name] from that. At least [name]Posy[/name] rhymes with [name]Josie[/name], it also rhymes with [name]Rosie[/name], so it shouldn’t be that difficult to attach the nickname [name]Posy[/name] to another name, especially a floral name. Any other names with an ose syllable? [name]Cosette[/name] comes to mind, [name]Posy[/name] so they don’t call her Cozy.

Also, I am trying to look into names that start with a po sound - not too many! Maybe something of [name]Paula[/name] - [name]Pauline[/name], [name]Paulette[/name], I think could go [name]Posy[/name]. Or [name]Polly[/name]. I kind of like the ‘Ballet Shoes’ [name]Pauline[/name]/[name]Posy[/name] relation there, unfortunately leaving out [name]Petrova[/name] though. (children’s novel by [name]Noel[/name] Streatfeild, later made into a movie or two).

I think [name]Penelope[/name] might be kind of a stretch, but what someone calls you every day may have nothing to do with your name. You could name her [name]Isabella[/name] (random non-posy name) and pet name her [name]Posy[/name], and that should stick, at least until she can read and think to try out another more obvious nickname. Same with [name]Rose[/name] names and other -ose names.

I think it was [name]Kristen[/name] who really liked the name [name]Apolline[/name] - a[name]POlline[/name] > [name]Posy[/name]. I saw a name in the P names for girls, [name]Piroska[/name], Hungarian variant of [name]Priscilla[/name]… I think it’s too exotic unless you’re actually Hungarian, but it made me think there must be other names that just look like you could just take [name]Posy[/name] right out of there and it wouldn’t be a stretch. Names that begin with other letters like [name]Apolline[/name], or name with a ‘p-os’ in them that are currently impossible to search for!

Trying to help, hope you got some ideas for your friend. :slight_smile:

That’s a cute idea. [name]Priscilla[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name] is a thought since she likes feminine names.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Dink[/name]'s idea of [name]Primrose[/name], [name]Sarah[/name]'s idea of [name]Mariposa[/name], and [name]Jill[/name]'s idea of Rosamel. I agree that any name starting with [name]Ros[/name]- could have the nn [name]Rose[/name]. I can’t find it in “check out a name”, but I once knew someone named Annarosa. I thought her name was pretty. Also Annarose. Also found [name]Bellerose[/name] in Nameberry, but it is a neighborhood in Queens. There’s a very stylish street in L.A. called Melrose. I think Melrose would be a great name - for a pet. I just met someone a few weeks ago named [name]Poe[/name].

[name]Posy[/name] is absolutely darling! I personally quite like it for [name]Polly[/name] or [name]Pollyanna[/name], though I think it could easily stand on its own. I have always had a softness for the name [name]Po[/name]”sy myself – it is a surname a few generations back on my husband’s family tree. I have always thought it would make a precious name for a little girl!

An unusual choice could be [name]Poetry[/name]/[name]Poetry[/name] or Posala/Posalah ( a Native American name meaning “born at the end of [name]Spring[/name]”). [name]Both[/name] of those could use [name]Posie[/name]/[name]Posey[/name] as nn.

Oops, sorry. I didn’t realize I was spelling it wrong. Such a cute name, I can’t get over it!

You could have a first name that starts with a “P” like [name]Paloma[/name] or [name]Penelope[/name]. Then the middle name could be [name]Rose[/name]. Then the nn could be [name]Posy[/name].

[name]Susan[/name], we definitely share a brain! :slight_smile:

Since posy is a little bundle of flowers, how about a floral first and middle name, like [name]Lily[/name] [name]Rose[/name], or [name]Violet[/name] [name]Primrose[/name], or [name]Peony[/name] [name]Iris[/name]. Then her little “bundle of names” is a literal “posy.”

[name]Susan[/name], we definitely share a brain! :-)[/quote]

Okay, I went back and read your post which says the same thing.
I do think we share a brain, but I think I read your entry that says the same thing, forgot I read it, and then had the idea later. It is a great idea!

Thank you all so much!
I’m going to pass on all of your suggestions (my favourite is [name]Mariposa[/name], I have to say. [name]Just[/name] beautiful, -sarah-!)
I already suggested [name]Primrose[/name], unfortunately she didn’t like it, but I’m sure out of all of the brilliant ideas you’ve given there must be something she likes.
I’ll let you know when a decision is made :smiley:

[name]Persephone[/name]? I hadn’t seen it suggested prior.

I really like [name]Mariposa[/name], too.

[name]Glad[/name] you like [name]Mariposa[/name].

I thought of another one – I actually do not like it as a name - but Positano. You know, I cringe even typing it so probably best to avoid, but it would technically work.