Names You Hate

I hate anything that ends in -bella and just [name]Bella[/name] generally. It sounds like bleh to me. [name]Love[/name] [name]Belle[/name], hate [name]Bella[/name]. Also [name]Dashiell[/name], [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], and [name]Olivia[/name]. But by far my least favorite has to be [name]Jackson[/name]. I have never liked this name and now I feel like everyone and their brother’s name is [name]Jackson[/name] or [name]Jaxon[/name] which is even worse. Other than that I pretty much hate anything that sounds pretentious or made up lol.

Boy names on girls- just because you use it on a girl doesn’t make it unisex
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]- yuck
[name]Lucy[/name]/[name]Lucinda[/name]- trailer park, and not the nice ones by the beach. [name]Juanita[/name] gives me the same image

• aden, -ayden, -aiden
  • iana- [name]Ariana[/name], [name]Eliana[/name], [name]Christiana[/name], [name]Luciana[/name] (loosey-ah-na)
    Random virtue and concept names- Humility, [name]Bravery[/name], [name]Modesty[/name], Remembrance
1 Like

I don’t think there is any names I hate specifically, it is a strong word afterall…But there is names I don’t like (mispelled names, masculine names on girls etc etc)

There is also names that have Nameberry appeal that I don’t like at all.

[name]Elijah[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
Silas

I also found it funny that my name has been repeated on this topic too because it is too popular at the moment. Oh well…

There’s no point mentioning made up or kre8yve names so just sticking with names people would consider real:
[name]Eliza[/name] - [name]Just[/name] sounds like “LIES” with a couple extra letters tacked on.
[name]Josephine[/name], [name]Phillipa[/name], Donalda - and most of the other feminisations of masculine names actually. They just sound like someone couldn’t be bothered to come up with a girl’s name and just added a few letters to whatever they’d choosen for a boy.
[name]Silas[/name] - Would be a good name for a pet snake.
[name]Soren[/name] - “Sore-end”
[name]Ezra[/name] - don’t know why, just don’t like it.

I also am not a big fan of either ultra-frilly feminine names or hyper masculine names, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say I hate them.

Disclaimer: I fully recognize that there’s not actually anything wrong with these, or most of the other names mentioned and just because they are not my style, doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with giving them to a child.

[name]Fifi[/name], [name]Persephone[/name], [name]Candy[/name], [name]Sugar[/name]… anything unbearably girly. I also do not like old-lady names like [name]Olive[/name], [name]Ethel[/name], [name]Gertrude[/name], etc. As far as boys’ names, I’m a little more lenient, I guess. It’s really just the occasional individual boys’ name that I dislike. And any name that will always be either mispronounced or misspelled because they have “creative” spellings.

I don’t like [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] - all nameberry favorites, not ones I care for.

All the manly surnames being used for girls - things like [name]Emerson[/name], [name]Sawyer[/name], [name]Sloane[/name]…they are just so highly unattractive and will be SO outdated in a couple of years.

Most of the names are ones I really don’t like rather than hate and a lot of them would be the traditional ‘chav’ names where I come from, like [name]Charleigh[/name], [name]Portia[/name], [name]Sharon[/name], [name]Chelsea[/name], [name]Maverick[/name], [name]Emerson[/name], [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Chardonnay[/name], [name]Brianna[/name], [name]Britney[/name], [name]Whitney[/name], [name]Tiffany[/name], [name]Brendan[/name], [name]Tyler[/name], [name]Taylor[/name], [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Riley[/name]… etc (sorry to any non-chav bearers of these names! It’s just… negative connotations)

I don’t like dated names either- like [name]Tracey[/name], [name]Linda[/name], [name]Brian[/name], [name]Barbara[/name]. Then there are the stupid names like Alykzsandr, [name]Apple[/name], [name]Rainbow[/name], [name]Fifi[/name] and [name]Peaches[/name] and whatever else [name]Jamie[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Bob[/name] Geldof named their kids.

From some of the names popular on here and in the US top lists, I can’t understand [name]Atticus[/name], [name]Audrey[/name], [name]Wyatt[/name], [name]Wesley[/name], [name]Greyson[/name]… There’s a big difference in US and UK naming styles, which I think is a good thing because it’s introduced me to a load of names I hadn’t heard of before :slight_smile:

Other than that most names are fine, if not my style.

It is a perfectly fine name, but I can’t stand the name [name]Caitlin[/name], kaitlynn, etc. any variation. I think it is more so because of the people and associations I have made with that name, so it’s not a fair bias.

[name]Sloan[/name], [name]Bronwyn[/name], [name]Greer[/name], [name]Brynn[/name], [name]Harper[/name]. For boys [name]Jagger[/name].

I cringe every time I hear these names. They are so aesthetically ugly to my ears. It’s purely based on their sound. They are unattractive to me, and I can’t get what other people like about them at all.

Pretty much anything with “bree” in it. [name]Brianna[/name], [name]Brielle[/name], [name]Aubriana[/name], [name]Aubree[/name], etc. I can tolerate [name]Aubrey[/name] but ONLY with that spelling. Also [name]Briley[/name], Braylee, [name]Braelyn[/name], [name]Brayden[/name], [name]Brady[/name]…I just don’t like the Br- sound. Also pretty much anything that ends in -iana…[name]Eliana[/name], [name]Aliana[/name], [name]Aviana[/name], etc. [name]Even[/name] though some of them are legit names, they just sound made-up to me, and very frilly.

I’m SO with you, on all of these! Could not agree more.

Nameberry faves that I just don’t get:

[name]Gwendolyn[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Guinevere[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]

They’re all either badly dated, or just very ugly, [name]IMO[/name].

I am particularly tired of [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name].

Very true. My great aunt (known as Sadie) and my cousin’s daughter are both Sarah. It’s just so… zzzzzz!

I do not like the word hate… but I have a strong passionate (irrational) dislike for [name]Sean[/name]. I love irish names and their traditional spelling, but this for some reason feels like nails on a chalkboard! [name]Shawn[/name] is just fine (NMS) but spelling it [name]Sean[/name] literally makes me cringe (I have learned to control it so it comes out more like a eye twitch :wink: lol.)

There are others I do not understand, but do not have the same strong reaction [name]Sean[/name] gets… [name]Gemma[/name] and [name]Imogen[/name]. I am sure there are more, they are just not coming to me.
I would not say I do not like common names, but I would never use them (my definition of common is the top 100…and any names I have heard used in the last 2 years in our small town) but those creative name and spellings get VERY OLD… though I have a double standard when it comes to MN and kinda say anything goes…

I like boys names as girls names, it’s not a new trend, it’s been around for hundreds of years. [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Courtney[/name], [name]Beverley[/name], [name]Millicent[/name], [name]Hilary[/name], [name]Lindsay[/name]… are all boys names!

Other names I hate are:
[name]Madison[/name] (though I like [name]Addison[/name]), [name]Abigail[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Samantha[/name], [name]Alyssa[/name]/ [name]Melissa[/name]/ [name]Marissa[/name]/ [name]Clarissa[/name]/ [name]Larissa[/name], [name]Anna[/name], [name]Hailey[/name], [name]Sydney[/name] (I really don’t understand why this is SO popular in [name]America[/name]), [name]Destiny[/name], [name]Morgan[/name], [name]Kaitlyn[/name], [name]Katherine[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Brianna[/name], [name]Kaylee[/name], [name]Angela[/name], [name]Makayla[/name], [name]Allison[/name], [name]Trinity[/name], [name]MacKenzie[/name], [name]Gabriella[/name], [name]Nicole[/name]/ [name]Nicola[/name], [name]Kylie[/name]/ [name]Kyla[/name], [name]Amy[/name], [name]Amber[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]Amanda[/name], [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Barbara[/name], [name]Belinda[/name], [name]Lynda[/name] (I know someone with a 5 year old daughter named [name]Lynda[/name] and it’s not a family name!), [name]Beulah[/name], [name]Brandy[/name], [name]Brenda[/name], [name]Bridget[/name], [name]Britney[/name], [name]Caoimhe[/name] (Key-vah), [name]Caprice[/name], [name]Carmel[/name], [name]Carol[/name]/ [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Cassidy[/name], [name]Celeste[/name], [name]Charity[/name], [name]Cheyenne[/name], [name]Christine[/name]/ [name]Christina[/name]/ [name]Christiana[/name], [name]Constance[/name], [name]Patience[/name], [name]Obedience[/name], [name]Courtney[/name], [name]Crystal[/name], [name]Cynthia[/name], [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Dakota[/name], [name]Danielle[/name], [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Dawn[/name], [name]Deborah[/name], [name]Deidre[/name], [name]Denise[/name], [name]Diane[/name]/ [name]Diana[/name], [name]Demi[/name], [name]Eileen[/name]/ [name]Aileen[/name], [name]Elaine[/name], [name]Evelyn[/name], [name]Eve[/name], [name]Eva[/name] (Though I do like [name]Evie[/name] and [name]Ava[/name]!), [name]Felicity[/name], [name]Fiona[/name], [name]Genesis[/name], [name]Gillian[/name]/ [name]Jillian[/name], [name]Gwendolyn[/name], [name]Gwyneth[/name], [name]Helen[/name], [name]Hilary[/name], [name]Hildegard[/name], [name]Hope[/name], [name]Holly[/name], [name]Ima[/name], [name]Ivonne[/name], [name]Jacinda[/name], [name]Jane[/name]/ [name]Janet[/name]/ [name]Janice[/name]/ [name]Janae[/name], [name]Joan[/name], [name]Jolene[/name], [name]Justine[/name], [name]Lacey[/name]/ [name]Tracey[/name]/ [name]Stacey[/name]/ [name]Casey[/name], [name]Lane[/name], [name]Laura[/name]/ [name]Lauren[/name], [name]Leatrice[/name] (it’s pastry!), [name]Lilith[/name], [name]Lindsay[/name], [name]Lynn[/name]/ [name]Lynnette[/name], [name]Louise[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Madonna[/name], [name]Martha[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Maureen[/name], [name]Mavis[/name], [name]Maxine[/name], [name]Megan[/name], [name]Melody[/name]/ [name]Melanie[/name], [name]Millicent[/name], [name]Miriam[/name], [name]Monica[/name]/ [name]Monique[/name] (really any name with -ique on the end), [name]Muriel[/name], [name]Nancy[/name]/ [name]Nanette[/name], [name]Naomi[/name], [name]Narcissa[/name] (yeah, 'cause naming your child [name]Narcissa[/name] is a totally good idea! lol!), [name]Natasha[/name], [name]Nina[/name], [name]Nora[/name], [name]Oisin[/name] (oh-sheen), [name]Olga[/name], [name]Ophelia[/name], [name]Paisley[/name], [name]Pamela[/name], [name]Paula[/name], [name]Peaches[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], Pebbles, [name]Persephone[/name], Phillippa/ [name]Phyllis[/name] (my mum’s name!), [name]Peony[/name], [name]Posy[/name], [name]Princess[/name], [name]Prudence[/name], [name]Rachel[/name]/ [name]Raquel[/name], [name]Rebecca[/name], [name]Regan[/name], [name]Roberta[/name], [name]Roseanne[/name]/ [name]Rosemary[/name], [name]Sabrina[/name], [name]Sally[/name], [name]Sasha[/name], [name]Senga[/name], [name]Siobhan[/name] ([name]Shavon[/name]), [name]Sheila[/name], [name]Sheridan[/name], [name]Sheryl[/name]/ [name]Cheryl[/name], [name]Shirley[/name], [name]Simone[/name], [name]Stella[/name], [name]Susan[/name]/ [name]Suzanne[/name], [name]Theresa[/name], [name]Thomasina[/name], [name]Tiara[/name], [name]Tiffany[/name], [name]Timothea[/name], [name]Una[/name], [name]Ursula[/name], [name]Vanessa[/name], [name]Veronica[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Virginia[/name], [name]Wilhelmina[/name], [name]Winifred[/name].

[name]Patrick[/name], [name]Samuel[/name], [name]Luke[/name]/ [name]Lukas[/name], [name]David[/name], [name]Simon[/name], [name]Daniel[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Joseph[/name], [name]Paul[/name], [name]Jonas[/name], [name]Timothy[/name], [name]Adam[/name], [name]Martin[/name], [name]Callum[/name], [name]Victor[/name], [name]Noah[/name], [name]Owen[/name], [name]Liam[/name], [name]Gareth[/name], [name]Jeremiah[/name], [name]Caleb[/name], [name]Zachary[/name], [name]Colin[/name], [name]Euan[/name], [name]Malcolm[/name], [name]Dennis[/name], [name]Mervin[/name], [name]Peter[/name], [name]Eric[/name]/ [name]Derek[/name], [name]Robert[/name], [name]Isaac[/name], [name]Richard[/name], [name]Albert[/name], [name]Arthur[/name], [name]Frank[/name]/ [name]Frances[/name], [name]Ronald[/name]/ [name]Donald[/name], [name]Justin[/name], [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Charles[/name], [name]Howard[/name], [name]Rodney[/name], [name]Dwight[/name]/ [name]Dwayne[/name], [name]Eugene[/name], [name]Neil[/name], [name]Frederick[/name], [name]Douglas[/name], [name]Jason[/name], [name]Alan[/name], [name]Christopher[/name] (My OH’s name!), [name]Elijah[/name], [name]Graham[/name], [name]Gordon[/name], [name]Grant[/name], [name]Kevin[/name], [name]Kieran[/name], [name]Philip[/name], [name]Tristian[/name], [name]Walter[/name], [name]Duncan[/name], [name]Junior[/name] (no-one should ever be named [name]Junior[/name]! ever.), [name]Wayne[/name], [name]Brett[/name], [name]Todd[/name], [name]Damien[/name], [name]Keith[/name], [name]Chad[/name], [name]Conrad[/name], [name]Solomon[/name], [name]Barney[/name], [name]Gavin[/name], [name]Brian[/name], [name]Kyle[/name], [name]Kelvin[/name].

I don’t think it’s possible to fit any more in!

[name]Joanna[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Jonah[/name], [name]Noah[/name], [name]Elijah[/name], [name]Isaiah[/name], [name]Judah[/name], [name]Jude[/name], [name]Jeremiah[/name], [name]Samuel[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Mae[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Jemima[/name], [name]Romilly[/name], [name]Zoe[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Mia[/name], [name]Temperance[/name], [name]Concepcion[/name]…

Others bug me too, but those are some I can think of now.

[name]General[/name] categories I’ve always disliked for inexplicable reasons are [name]Jo[/name]-names and Biblical names ending in -ah for boys. [name]Josephine[/name] may be growing on me a bit, but I still don’t like the [name]Jo[/name] sound at the beginning of names.

[name]Lisa[/name] and [name]Karen[/name]. I just can’t imagine a pregnant woman thinking “Oh, my adorable baby girl will be named [name]Karen[/name]! [name]How[/name] beautiful!” They’re just so boring and blah. Also, [name]Madison[/name]/[name]Alison[/name]/[name]Allison[/name], pretty much any “-son” name for a girl. I don’t understand how anyone can look at [name]Madison[/name] and think it’s feminine in the slightest. [name]Leonie[/name]. Uck. The sound is just so unpleasant (to me). Of course, to each his own!

[name]Leslie[/name]. It’s just boring, sorry.
[name]Max[/name], [name]Jax[/name] - don’t like names with x’s
[name]Kate[/name], [name]Katie[/name], [name]Kaitlin[/name], [name]Kaitlyn[/name], [name]Kitty[/name], [name]Kaylee[/name], [name]Kylie[/name], [name]Kayleigh[/name]…how many versions are there?
I hate taking a name and trying to combine it with another to make it “original” like taking [name]Ashley[/name] and making it [name]Ashlyn[/name] or [name]Ashton[/name].

Woah, that’s a load of names.

The names I dislike are: [name]McKenzie[/name] ([name]Mackenzie[/name]), [name]Caoimhe[/name], nor do I understand [name]Beatrice[/name] (or [name]Beatrix[/name]), [name]Carys[/name], [name]Kara[/name], [name]Cara[/name], [name]Carissa[/name], [name]Karissa[/name], [name]Klara[/name], [name]Courtney[/name] (or [name]Kourtney[/name]), [name]Pamela[/name], [name]Lindsay[/name], [name]Sasha[/name], [name]Lisa[/name], [name]Karen[/name] and [name]Sarah[/name]. [name]Max[/name], [name]Jax[/name], [name]Jake[/name], [name]Benjamin[/name], [name]Justin[/name], [name]Gordon[/name] and [name]David[/name].

I think hate is a word that tugs too hard. It’s too strong a word. In particular, the names above I’m not fond of, but I don’t hate them. I never hated a name, no matter how uncouth, homely, absurd, apish it is. I never supported the hate either. To me, those above are just a little bit dull, unflattering and tad tedious, but I don’t hate them. I won’t faint if I see a girl [name]Carys[/name], a little boy [name]Gordon[/name], or a baby [name]Jax[/name].

It’s hard for me to truly ‘hate’ most traditional names. There are definitely ones I would never use myself, but saying I hate a name like “[name]William[/name]” is like saying I hate the word “orange”. I might not like oranges and I might not be fond of the sound combination, but hate seems really strong for something so ubiquitous.

Most names I’d say I hate are ones I consider cruel as you’re forcing a kid to shoulder the burden of a very difficult name–vast misspellings, stupid item names, sugar sweet crap, really made up stuff, etc. Like: [name]Audio[/name], Dweeble, Rockstar, [name]Princess[/name], Krystabelle.

There are definitely more traditional names that are downright horrible: [name]Dorcas[/name], [name]Bertha[/name], [name]Lloyd[/name], [name]Floyd[/name], [name]Talullah[/name], [name]Hester[/name]. But I just don’t think some names have aged well.

While I dislike the name [name]Caleb[/name] in general (it’s a name that sounds like you have a cold when you say it), it spelled with a ‘k’ actually infuriates me. I was at work the other day writing out a customer’s child’s name and he was like “no, it’s with a ‘K’”. [name]Kaleb[/name]. Why would anyone ever do such a thing? It burns my eyes. :confused: