Names You Hate

Everyone has names they don’t like, but is there any names that you really truly hate and can’t understand why people like them or continue to name their children these names? Or some names you find so boring that they should’ve just named their child “bran flake”!

Some of the names I truly hate are: [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Margaret[/name], [name]Mary[/name], [name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Lisa[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Gemma[/name], [name]Jessica[/name], [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Faith[/name], [name]Victoria[/name] (my own name :frowning: ), [name]Emma[/name], [name]Jennifer[/name].
[name]William[/name], [name]Andrew[/name], [name]James[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Thomas[/name], [name]John[/name], [name]Christian[/name], [name]Edward[/name], [name]Connor[/name].

I’m aware lots of these names are “trad” names but I really seriously don’t like them. To me, they are the epitome of boring!

[name]Piper[/name]. And [name]Fifer[/name]. I hear the word pipe and think of plumbing; fife and I hear revolutionary war music. I really don’t see the appeal, especially for girls. I also don’t like [name]Madison[/name]. You are clearly calling your daughter “son,” and decide to throw “mad” into it. So your daughter is a boy with anger issues.
As you might guess, I’m more of a traditional person, so I don’t mind all the names you hate.

1 Like

[name]Clementine[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name] - Nameberry faves that I really just don’t understand the love for. [name]Clementine[/name] is an orange or a trashy cop on [name]Reno[/name] 911!, [name]Evangeline[/name] is way too frilly/ultra-religious, and [name]Scarlett[/name] reminds me of harlot and The [name]Scarlet[/name] Letter. Not good. Not cute.

Also, [name]Paisley[/name]. It’s a freaking fabric pattern. And it doesn’t even SOUND pretty.

I don’t like [name]Isabelle[/name]/[name]Isabella[/name], [name]Ava[/name], [name]Kaitlin[/name]/etc., [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Kaylee[/name]/etc. [name]Asher[/name] and [name]Jackson[/name] because they are so popular! I’m sick of hearing them where I live!

I also don’t like [name]Reagan[/name], pronounced [name]Ray[/name]-gan, because that just reminds me of the president. I prefer the [name]Ree[/name]-gan pronunciation.

And I don’t like [name]Quinn[/name] on girls, I much prefer it on boys.

And I don’t like [name]Emerson[/name] on girls, it’s always been a boy’s name to me.

And [name]Cale[/name] or [name]Kale[/name] on girls or boys, it reminds me of a leafy green vegetable!

OP I love classic names so I like most of the names you listed, especially [name]Henry[/name], [name]Thomas[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Margaret[/name], and [name]Gemma[/name] :slight_smile:

Names I hate:

[name]Kaylie[/name], [name]Kylee[/name], and the like
[name]Kaden[/name] and [name]Jayden[/name] (and all their variations)
[name]Olive[/name] (I’m sorry but I think this is the ugliest name to stick on a sweet little girl)
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name] (SOOOO boring)
[name]Kate[/name] by itself as a name
[name]Ashley[/name]
[name]Nevaeh[/name]
[name]Brooklyn[/name]
[name]Trinity[/name], [name]Genesis[/name], [name]Serenity[/name]
[name]Madison[/name], [name]Addison[/name]
[name]Mackenzie[/name]/[name]Mckenzie[/name], etc, [name]Michaela[/name] spelled [name]McKayla[/name], [name]Makayla[/name], [name]Mikayla[/name], or [name]Mikaela[/name]
[name]Sophia[/name] (nothing actually wrong with it, I’m just so sick of it)
[name]Paisley[/name] (really? this is a pattern)
[name]Bree[/name], [name]Brielle[/name], and [name]Briella[/name] (sound so tacky to me)

And generally any mispelled name. [name]Ryleigh[/name], [name]Kaydence[/name], [name]Alyvia[/name]… ugh.

[name]Nevaeh[/name] (or [name]Neveah[/name] if it’s misspelled) and any boys name with a random -y, like [name]Landyn[/name] or [name]Ayden[/name].

[name]Nevaeh[/name], [name]Madison[/name], [name]Leah[/name]/[name]Leona[/name]/[name]Leonie[/name], [name]Chantelle[/name], [name]Jayden[/name], [name]Chelsea[/name], [name]Kayleigh[/name]/[name]Kylie[/name]/[name]Kayla[/name], [name]Faith[/name], [name]Wren[/name], [name]Isabelle[/name]/[name]Isabella[/name], [name]Agatha[/name], [name]Jade[/name], [name]Vanessa[/name], [name]Amanda[/name], [name]Kirsty[/name], [name]Kasey[/name], [name]Kelsey[/name], [name]Lucinda[/name], [name]Lauren[/name], [name]Esther[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Charmaine[/name]. [name]Roberta[/name]/[name]Thomasina[/name]/[name]Jamesina[/name] etc.

[name]Jayden[/name]/[name]Zaiden[/name]/[name]Kaiden[/name], [name]Kai[/name], [name]Lee[/name], [name]Dylan[/name], [name]Leo[/name]/[name]Leon[/name], [name]Jeremy[/name], [name]Frederick[/name], [name]Silas[/name], [name]Alaric[/name], [name]Ptolemy[/name], [name]Edmund[/name], [name]Barnaby[/name], [name]Wilbur[/name], [name]Ian[/name], [name]Xander[/name], [name]Jason[/name], [name]Norman[/name], [name]Leonard[/name].

Quite a list, but I only put down the ones that came to mind :slight_smile:

I hate misspelled names, like: [name]Robyn[/name] or [name]Emersyn[/name].
I hate boy names on girls like (and vice verse though that hardly happens): [name]Elliot[/name], [name]Emerson[/name], [name]Jordan[/name], etc…
I also dislike a lot of unisex names because they just cause so much confusion: [name]Quinn[/name], [name]Riley[/name], [name]Winter[/name], etc… (except for [name]Kelly[/name] and [name]Madison[/name] where they have swung to the girl’s side)
I tend to hate English word names like (I say English, because I like [name]Luna[/name] and [name]Celeste[/name]): [name]Sailor[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Paisley[/name], [name]Stone[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Olive[/name], [name]Honey[/name], [name]Viola[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Scarlet[/name], etc…
I also hate English virtue names (Again, I say English, because I like [name]Verity[/name] and [name]Felicity[/name]): [name]Liberty[/name], [name]Justice[/name], [name]Honor[/name], [name]Destiny[/name], [name]Love[/name], [name]Truth[/name] (maybe I should just say the one’s I like: [name]Serenity[/name], [name]Faith[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Hope[/name] - that’s it)
Names I just hate in general: [name]Silas[/name], [name]Piper[/name], [name]Parker[/name], [name]Trinity[/name], [name]Nevaeh[/name], [name]Atticus[/name], [name]Agnes[/name], Evol (there’s probably more but I could go on forever, so I’ll stop there)

1 Like

Sure there are names I hate, but they tend to come from stupid trends, i.e.,

[name]Aiden[/name]-[name]Braden[/name]-[name]Jaden[/name]-[name]Caden[/name]-Raden (hey I made that last one up–that’s why I hate these names–they all sound made-up)

[name]Nevaeh[/name]–agreed. Spelling “heaven” backwards, how dorky. Why not just name your kid Evol? (that’s love spelled backwards btw)

[name]Katniss[/name], [name]Bella[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Primrose[/name], aka naming children after teenage fiction characters (yep, the Twilight & Hunger Games series to me are teenage soap operas in paperback form). You might as well name your kid Gaga or Beiber, just as “timeless” and “inspiring”.

Using boy names on girls. My least favorite trend of all time. [name]Don[/name]'t name your daughter [name]Rowan[/name], [name]Elliott[/name], [name]Finn[/name], [name]Wyatt[/name], [name]Max[/name], [name]Jacob[/name], etc. Maybe it’s the feminist in me, but the masculine name trend has an implication that all the feminine choices out there aren’t good enough, or you really wanted a son, and that bothers me. (Like how my dad has called me [name]Cris[/name] my whole life, since he really wanted a boy!!!)

But for the OP, I love many of the classic names you listed–[name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Margaret[/name], [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Emma[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Thomas[/name], [name]Andrew[/name] & [name]James[/name]. They’ve stood the test of time. Maybe you think they’re boring & favor a more modern choice, but hate seems a little strong.

:slight_smile: [name]Cris[/name]

1 Like

I’ve never liked [name]Emma[/name], either. But I do like all the other names you listed. I find [name]Chloe[/name] and [name]Hannah[/name] kind of boring because I know so many.

[name]Lily[/name] is a cute name but I am getting sick of it. [name]Every[/name] other baby girl in my area is [name]Lily[/name], [name]Lilly[/name] or [name]Lily[/name]-[name]Mae[/name], or has [name]Lily[/name] as her mn. Also I’m fed up of seeing [name]Mae[/name] in the mn spot but I love it as a fn.

I don’t like [name]Clementine[/name] but I quite like [name]Clemency[/name].

I feel I don’t have to list the obvious, tacky names (such as [name]Nevaeh[/name]), or names that are misspelled (y’s where there shouldn’t be y’s etc…), but here’s my “most hated” list:

GIRLS:
[name]Sloan[/name] (sounds like slow, or sloth, and rhymes with moan)
[name]Joan[/name] ([name]Sloan[/name] reminded me of my dislike for this one)
[name]Agnes[/name] (just ick. Bad sound, and doesn’t even look pretty)
[name]Imogen[/name] (I know how to pronounce it, I just don’t get it! It doesn’t sound pretty, it sounds like a camera brand or something to me!)
[name]Scarlet[/name] (has SCAR in it, I don’t understand its popularity!!)

BOYS:
[name]Alfie[/name], [name]Archie[/name] etc…as stand-alones. They’re fine (I suppose) as nicknames for little boys, but [name]Alfred[/name], [name]Archer[/name] etc should be on the birth certificate! [name]IMO[/name] no teenaged boy should be stuck with [name]Alfie[/name]!
[name]Jeremy[/name] (just sounds like “germy” to me)

I’m sure there are more, but that’s all I can think of at the moment…there always seem to be more awful girls names than boys names…boys names always seem to be excellent, or just average. There’s so much more for tackiness with the girls I guess!

I’ll leave it to everyone else to list the usual suspects. :slight_smile:

But I will take this opportunity to say that I find ‘[name]Sarah[/name]’ the most boring name in the world. [name]Ever[/name]. It’s like calling your girl, ‘Girl’.

Many of mine have already been listed, but I have to throw in [name]Eulalie[/name] and [name]Jemima[/name]. I do NOT understand the love these get on Nameberry!

1 Like

LMAO. In my class of forty-three, there were several Sarahs (one spelled [name]Sara[/name]), two Hannahs, too many Katies, two Claires/Clares…it was just too much. [name]Sarah[/name] is pretty, I like the sound, but it is just too overdone.

Naming your child [name]Jemima[/name] in the U.S. is just so…mean.

Yes. I just don’t get the appeal of [name]Jemima[/name].

Yes. I will never understand the appeal of [name]Jemima[/name].

Mis-spellings of names(even if mine was/is but it was by accident)
[name]Addison[/name]
or boy names the use for girls.

Haha, so true - it’s a pretty name, but when I was in high school it was EVERYONE’s name. All you had to do was call out “[name]Sarah[/name]! [name]Jessica[/name]! [name]Lindsay[/name]!” and half the girls in my class would turn around.

[name]Emma[/name] - every [name]Emma[/name] I have ever met has been devoid of personality,it’s just a dull name
[name]Sarah[/name] - for exactly the same reasons as pp’s have stated. So blah. It’s like the parents couldn’t think of any other name.
X-mae/may - any name hyphen [name]Mae[/name]/[name]May[/name]. SO DULL!
Actually any hyphenated name.
[name]Scarlett[/name] - rhymes with harlot. 'nuff said
[name]Alice[/name] - sounds lovely but I see " a lice"
[name]Katie[/name] - as a standalone name
[name]Laura[/name] - just because there are so many around my age
Any boy name on a girl. [name]Just[/name] no
[name]Ethel[/name] - vile beyond words. There aren’t words to express how unattractive I find it.
[name]Isabella[/name] - just so fussy and prissy
[name]Anna[/name] - dull
[name]Mabel[/name] -it’s a dogs name
[name]Martha[/name]
[name]Eulalie[/name] - this just sounds like noise to me
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Rita[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Clemency[/name]
[name]Juno[/name]

[name]Jeffrey[/name]
[name]Malcom[/name]
[name]Marvin[/name]
[name]Neil[/name] - in the first name spot. It is a command not a name
[name]Caelan[/name] - I know it’s Scottish Gaelic but the general demographic using it is very off putting
[name]Michael[/name] - its the male equivalent of [name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Aaron[/name]
[name]Kyle[/name]
[name]Leighton[/name]
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]Aiden[/name]/[name]Jaden[/name]/[name]Brayden[/name] etc
[name]Ethan[/name]

I dislike “unique” spelling such a [name]Jaxson[/name],[name]Nevaeh[/name] for both genders. And there are far too many of them to list.