Names You Hate

I don’t like [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] or any of the spelling or any of the [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] names; jayden, [name_m]Caden[/name_m], [name_u]Brayden[/name_u] etc.

I’m sure to many people it is a lovely name… but I cannot see the appeal of [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]. Totally mystified how anyone can like this name… yet I know many people do!

I also seem to have an aversion to G names like [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f], [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m], [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f], even [name_f]Grace[/name_f].

Funny how we all have our little preferences! :slight_smile:

I do not hate these names, but whenever I hear them on a child (or any human, for that matter), I feel sad.

[name_m]Declan[/name_m] – I dislike the sound of it, the trendiness of it, and the “HEY, WE ARE PROUD TO BE IRISH … WAIT, ARE WE IRISH?” vibe to it. I know two little boys with this name, and both are beyond naughty and hit/kick/bite other children.

[name_u]Ellery[/name_u] – Yes, it is cute on a child. But what happens when the child grows up? Sadly, I can only picture [name_u]Ellery[/name_u] as a cheerleader.

[name_u]Harley[/name_u] – It is not cute in any context. Would you want to go through life as a [name_u]Harley[/name_u]?

[name_f]Khloe[/name_f] – Please, please, do not ruin [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] by spelling it with a K! It cheapens it.

[name_m]Kyler[/name_m] – It’s even less appealing than [name_u]Tyler[/name_u].

[name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f] – This name sounds both gimmicky and trashy to me. There are so many beautiful names with rich religious roots. I do not know why parents continue to use [name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f]. Honestly, in 2013, [name_f]Mary[/name_f] would be a lot edgier – and a lot more beautiful.

[name_u]Montana[/name_u] – I feel it’s too rugged and gimmicky for a baby girl. I have met a couple girls named [name_u]Montana[/name_u], and in all cases, the child seems pressured into being a cowgirl or a rodeo queen.

[name_f]Nora[/name_f] or [name_f]Norah[/name_f] – I know this name is tremendously popular, but I have never seen its appeal. It makes me think of a rude waitress at a truck stop.

Other names of friends’ babies I cringe at:

Braxtyn (a boy)
[name_u]Grady[/name_u] (a boy)
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u] (a girl)
[name_m]Layton[/name_m] (a boy)
[name_u]Peyton[/name_u] and [name_u]Peyton[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] (so overused, it might be the [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f] of today)
[name_f]Raelynn[/name_f] (a girl)

I hope you don’t think I am a horrible person. I just hate to see a child saddled with a name that may hold him or her back, literally from the cradle. I certainly hope I am wrong about many of these names. I realize for many people, they have positive vibes. For me, they do not.

My oldest daughters name is [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]. Or us we looked into our family tree for inspiration. I also happen to be a huge [name_m]Roald[/name_m] Dahl fan, with [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] being one of my faves of his so that was another part if the draw.

1 Like

I agree with [name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f], ugh! That was the first name that came to mind. I also dislike [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], [name_f]Agnes[/name_f], [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f], [name_f]Bertha[/name_f], [name_f]Roberta[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]…

Hate is definitely a strong word but I really dislike the following:

Boys names on girls that aren’t truly unisex.

Names with a ’ added into them (this should be banned) its the epitome of trashy!

Also I REALLY don’t like [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f], [name_u]Whitney[/name_u] (just saw a baby on fb named this and I was like noooo), [name_m]John[/name_m] (as a first), [name_u]Peyton[/name_u], [name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_m]Walter[/name_m]… I’m sure there’s more but those are just off the top of my head!

[name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f] and any [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] associated name ([name_u]Kayden[/name_u], [name_u]Brayden[/name_u] etc…)

My ‘Dislike’ Column includes:

[name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f] - I’m pretty sure we all agree with this one. I cringe, and could probably use the strong word hate.
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] - I can’t get over this. I’ve tried to at least like her, but I just…don’t. I also very much dislike [name_u]Penny[/name_u].
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]/[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] - Another NB love that I can’t dig. [name_f]Bea[/name_f] is a super cute nickname, but I get that with [name_f]Bianca[/name_f]
[name_f]Trinity[/name_f]/[name_u]Angel[/name_u]/[name_f]Charity[/name_f], etc - ‘[name_f]Virtue[/name_f]’ names in general
[name_u]Madison[/name_u] - The sheer crazy amount of Madisons under the age of 10 is insane in my area

[name_m]Amadeus[/name_m]/[name_m]Augustus[/name_m]/[name_m]Heathcliff[/name_m]/[name_m]Romeo[/name_m], etc - I am not trying to be mean, but I feel bad for the little boy strapped with this name. I can’t imagine a little boy wearing these on his little league team, his HS soccer team, on the [name_u]Dean[/name_u]'s list in college, on his resume…
[name_m]Jeremy[/name_m] - Germy is all I can think

No offense on any of this! My own name was on many of these lists ([name_f]Agatha[/name_f])…I’m not offended at all, and I still love it!

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]- [name_m]Just[/name_m] because [name_f]Kourtney[/name_f] Kardashian and [name_f]Tina[/name_f] [name_f]Fey[/name_f] chose it doesn’t mean you have to.

I don’t like [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] or its variations. Also, [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], [name_u]Piper[/name_u], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_u]Paisley[/name_u] - I don’t understand the appeal of any of them.

I really hate boys’ names on girls. That is my BIGGEST pet peeve. I’ve met girls named [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], [name_u]Logan[/name_u], [name_u]Michael[/name_u] - I just don’t get it. It grinds my gears.
Made-up names make me shake my head in shame.

Sorry if I say someone’s name on here, no offense intended :slight_smile:

[name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_u]Piper[/name_u], [name_f]Myrtle[/name_f], [name_f]Tish[/name_f], [name_u]Sloan[/name_u], [name_f]Renee[/name_f], [name_u]Paisley[/name_u], [name_f]Paige[/name_f], [name_f]Nicole[/name_f], [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f], [name_f]Saffron[/name_f], any butchered spelling of [name_f]Michaela[/name_f], and any other kre8tiv spellings e.g. Adisyn. Mc names for girls - [name_f]McKenzie[/name_f] etc, obviously boy names on girls - ahem looking at you [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m].

[name_u]Jaden[/name_u] (and all it’s varients), [name_u]Aiden[/name_u], [name_m]Jake[/name_m], [name_m]Diesel[/name_m], [name_u]Cruz[/name_u], [name_m]Knox[/name_m]

Hating is way too strong of a word and I don’t mean to offend anyone. The names I dislike are more of what I wouldn’t choose for my own kid, not based on a bad association or anything like that. For names that are boring, some are very solid and strong names, just a bit plain and too overused at the moment. But regardless, if you love a name, use it. Don’t let some random person’s dislikes convince you to not use a name.

Names I Dislike:

[name_f]Agatha[/name_f] - sorry Berries, I know some of you love this, but its a straight up no for me
[name_f]Agnes[/name_f] - same as [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] except maybe even worse
[name_f]Gertrude[/name_f] - if anyone would dare use this in this day and age…
[name_f]Hilda[/name_f] -same as [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f] - no offense, just not for this time
[name_f]Vicky[/name_f] - just no!
[name_m]Kale[/name_m] - a leafy vegetable, not a name
[name_m]Jackson[/name_m] - too country for my taste, not the worst just never for me in a million years

Ultra Boring Names:
[name_f]Ann[/name_f] - just [name_f]Ann[/name_f], really?
[name_f]Jane[/name_f] - plain [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] - I know some Berries love this, but its a yawn for me
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f] - not awful, but just plain boring
[name_f]Emily[/name_f] - I know too many. Its not bad, just too popular
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]/[name_f]Isabella[/name_f] - [name_m]WAY[/name_m] too popular. I prefer [name_f]Arabella[/name_f].
[name_m]Bob[/name_m] - epitome of a boring boys name

I could think of more but this is just what came to me.

I’m tired of all this “hate is a strong word” nonsense. If you hate something, you hate it.
And nobody’s gonna guilt trip me into changing this list this time.

GIRLS: [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] ugh! Everyone on name berry seems to love this, but it just sounds all lumpy and unpleasant to me. [name_m]How[/name_m] is it even appealing?

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]: I don’t get the appeal of this one either. Its just blah.

[name_u]Michael[/name_u]: I love [name_u]Logan[/name_u] for girls, I can stand [name_u]Dylan[/name_u], I even like [name_u]Tyler[/name_u], but [name_u]Michael[/name_u] just isn’t a girl name to me.

[name_f]Isla[/name_f]: So trendy. So boring. I don’t want to hear one more parent bestowing this overused name on their child and thinking they’ve discovered some special gem.

[name_f]Liv[/name_f]: [name_m]Just[/name_m] sounds yucky to me.

[name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f]: We all hate this. Need I explain?

[name_f]Heaven[/name_f]: I hate it when people put the name of the most perfect place on their most imperfect child.

[name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f], [name_f]Katelyn[/name_f], [name_f]Caitlyn[/name_f], [name_f]Kaitlin[/name_f]: Anything but [name_f]Catlin[/name_f] is just ewww

[name_f]Luna[/name_f]: OKAY I [name_m]JUST[/name_m] HATE THIS NAME AND ITS POPULARITY. It’s so overrated, and not even pretty. Plus, most people who like it only like it because the [name_m]MINOR[/name_m] UNIMPORTANT [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] character.

Ginevera: Ewww. And another name of an unimportant [name_m]Harry[/name_m] character.

[name_f]Hermione[/name_f]: I… it just doesn’t sound real to me. I loathe it. And while I love [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], well [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] is just icky to me.

[name_f]Cait[/name_f]: [name_f]Cate[/name_f], yes. [name_f]Cait[/name_f], No.

[name_u]Kamryn[/name_u]: Un phonetic to [name_u]Cameron[/name_u] and terribly spelled. [name_u]Cameron[/name_u] is [name_m]Kam[/name_m]-er-uhn. NOT [name_u]Cam[/name_u]-rin.

Boys: Not too many boy names bother me, but I really don’t like [name_m]Keanu[/name_m], [name_m]Jaxson[/name_m], [name_m]Ryder[/name_m], [name_m]Talon[/name_m], [name_m]Shooter[/name_m], [name_m]Chace[/name_m], or [name_m]Phineas[/name_m].

And this is my opinion. No need to get [name_u]PO[/name_u]'d about it.

Girl names I hate:
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_u]Peyton[/name_u]
anything Mc or [name_m]Mac[/name_m]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Antonia[/name_f]
spelling variations of [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]/[name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_f]Leanna[/name_f]

Boy names I hate:
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
[name_u]Peyton[/name_u]
[name_m]Jackson[/name_m]
[name_m]Asher[/name_m]
[name_u]Ryan[/name_u]
[name_m]Bryan[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]
[name_u]Aiden[/name_u]
[name_m]Kyson[/name_m]/[name_u]Tyson[/name_u]
[name_u]Logan[/name_u]
[name_m]Landen[/name_m]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u]
[name_m]Abraham[/name_m]
[name_u]Gray[/name_u]/[name_u]Grey[/name_u]

I don’t really “hate” any names; in fact, my “never” list even includes names I really like but wouldn’t use for some reason or another. I have an aversion to names that sound harsh and discordant to me, though. These names include

[name_f]Eunice[/name_f]
[name_f]Euphemia[/name_f]
[name_m]Eugene[/name_m]
[name_m]Eustace[/name_m]
[name_f]Beulah[/name_f]
[name_f]Barbara[/name_f]
[name_f]Rhonda[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f]
[name_f]Ethel[/name_f]
[name_m]Seymour[/name_m]

I also don’t really like names that are

• just trying too hard to be unique or cool: [name_u]Briley[/name_u]! [name_f]Paislie[/name_f]! [name_f]Preslie[/name_f]! [name_f]Tinsley[/name_f]! [name_f]Kinsley[/name_f]! --ayden/–iden! -son!
    • creatiffely spelled because that means they’re suddenly “eweneeque”; some names get a pass because one or two spellings are already widely-accepted and the integrity of the name is preserved, but I’m sorry, some names just don’t work with different spellings, and it’s still the same name, no matter how it’s spelled anyway…you’re not fooling anyone–no one is impressed that you’ve figured out a new way to spell an old name…just give your kid a break and go with an accepted spelling.
    • what I think of as “bran.” Several people have listed their own “bran” names, so here are mine: [name_m]Keith[/name_m], [name_m]Wayne[/name_m], [name_m]Paul[/name_m], [name_m]David[/name_m], [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], [name_m]Brad[/name_m], [name_m]Brandon[/name_m], [name_m]Chad[/name_m], [name_m]Kevin[/name_m], [name_m]Matt[/name_m], [name_m]Josh[/name_m], [name_u]Chris[/name_u], [name_f]Linda[/name_f], [name_u]Lynn[/name_u], [name_f]Holly[/name_f], [name_f]Brandi[/name_f], [name_f]Wendy[/name_f], [name_f]Crystal[/name_f], [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f], [name_f]Brittany[/name_f], [name_u]Alexis[/name_u], and [name_f]Cindy[/name_f].

In the words of [name_m]Moses[/name_m] Whitecotton (Where the Heart Is) when told by an expecting mother (Novalee Nation) that she’s considering “[name_f]Wendi[/name_f], with an -i,”: “[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t you dare! You give that baby a name that means something!” Granted, she then went with the name [name_m]Americus[/name_m], but hey…that at least means something!

– [name_u]Hadley[/name_u]. Okay. You broke me. Here is one name I actually do hate.

I don’t think anyone is trying to guilt trip you. People are just saying that hate is too strong of a word for how they feel about names. I don’t avoid people with certain names or feel hostile towards a name, so I wouldn’t say that I hate any names, but I certainly dislike some which is why it’s too strong of a word for me. I don’t think anyone was saying that those who hate names are wrong. Obviously, if you hate them, they are your feelings and equally as valid :slight_smile:

Names I dislike:

• Any names that mean “son of” for a girl. I understand the surname trend, but you’d think people would be a tad more interested in what they are naming their children.
  • [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]: harlot. I could just imagine boys joking about the song/girl in a locker room or something.
  • [name_f]Chastity[/name_f], [name_f]Heaven[/name_f], [name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f], [name_u]Angel[/name_u], etc: All the ones I’ve ever met (or my teacher friends have had) are the complete opposite of their names.
  • [name_f]Kinsey[/name_f]: like the sex researcher and the institution he formed: The [name_f]Kinsey[/name_f] Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction.
  • [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]: I don’t understand the appeal.
  • I accept the C/K switch and the PH/F switch since that can be influenced by language, but adding Ys or other random letters…I’m not a fan at all.

[name_f]Doris[/name_f]

[name_m]Boris[/name_m]

[name_m]Bruno[/name_m]

[name_f]Ethel[/name_f]

[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]

[name_f]Fay[/name_f]

[name_m]Randell[/name_m]

[name_u]Kendall[/name_u]

[name_u]Ashley[/name_u]

[name_u]Lindsay[/name_u]

[name_u]Whitney[/name_u]

[name_f]Brittney[/name_f]

[name_f]Wanda[/name_f]

[name_u]Lionel[/name_u]

[name_f]Liesel[/name_f]

[name_u]Kelly[/name_u]

[name_u]Ray[/name_u]

[name_m]Robert[/name_m]

[name_m]Roger[/name_m]

[name_f]Betsy[/name_f]

[name_f]Arianna[/name_f]

[name_f]Selena[/name_f]

[name_m]Larry[/name_m]

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Cora[/name_f] / [name_f]Corinne[/name_f] / [name_f]Corrine[/name_f] (especially this spelling), [name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f] ([name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] is fine), [name_f]Joella[/name_f], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], [name_u]Sloane[/name_u], [name_f]Greer[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], anything -ayden / -ley / -son (although they are fortunately very rare in my country so I don’t get to cringe so much), most feminizations, anything that starts with a k that should’ve started with c… probably more but I can’t come up with them right now.

I don’t hate any names, but I dislike:

• Male names on girls, i.e. [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m], [name_m]Owen[/name_m], [name_m]James[/name_m], [name_m]Finlay[/name_m] and sadly, [name_m]Alexis[/name_m]. I know some are classified as unisex, but I see them all as male and can’t understand why people would give such masculine names to their daughters.
  • Kre8iv spellings
  • Cheesy word names in the first place spot: Corazon, [name_f]Precious[/name_f], [name_f]Heaven[/name_f], [name_f]Milagros[/name_f], [name_f]Esperanza[/name_f], [name_f]Concepcion[/name_f], [name_f]Honey[/name_f], Darling. I don’t mind them as middles though!

Others:
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]/[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] - I have never seen the appeal of this one. I think it’s so overrated and I cringe every time I see it, haha.
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] - I know it’s a classic, but to me it’s just so harsh and unattractive.
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] - I just don’t like it
[name_f]Wanda[/name_f], [name_f]Rhonda[/name_f], [name_f]Crystal[/name_f], [name_f]Miley[/name_f], [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]Sandra[/name_f], [name_f]Millie[/name_f] ([name_f]Milicent[/name_f]), [name_f]Veronica[/name_f]

[name_m]Atticus[/name_m] - I don’t think this one is too bad, but I can’t look away from the “cuss” part
[name_m]Radley[/name_m], [name_m]Diesel[/name_m], -ayden names, [name_m]Brody[/name_m]/[name_u]Brady[/name_u], [name_m]Norman[/name_m], [name_m]Wayne[/name_m], [name_m]Homer[/name_m], [name_m]Jagger[/name_m], [name_m]Callum[/name_m], [name_m]Dennis[/name_m], [name_u]Ronny[/name_u]

I’m sure I’ll come up with much more eventually, but these are from the top of my head!

Girls Names I Hate:
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] - This name is classic but I really hate it’s mega popular and the name to me is not appealing and sounds tacky and so ugly. If I hear another person named this I’m going to scream.
[name_u]Kelsie[/name_u] - It’s an ugly name and sounds tacky!
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] - Too popular I don’t see why people love it so much. I hate it.
[name_u]Jodie[/name_u] - Horrible name and is just not very girly sounding!
[name_u]Sasha[/name_u] - Boring, plain and dull.
[name_f]Nina[/name_f] - Boring!!!
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] - Boring!!!
[name_u]Madison[/name_u] - Boring!!!
[name_f]Keira[/name_f] - Not appealing!
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f] - Boring! I don’t see why so many people like this name do you?
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] - boring and tacky!
[name_f]Grace[/name_f] - Dull.
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] - Boring!!!
[name_f]Ava[/name_f] - One of the most disgusting names I have ever heard in my entire life!
[name_f]Eva[/name_f] - Boring!!!
[name_f]Alicia[/name_f] - Dull.
[name_f]Neveah[/name_f] - Boring!!!
[name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] - Ugly!!!
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] - Ugly!!!
[name_u]Luca[/name_u] - Ugly!!!
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f] - Odd!
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f] - Too popular and is so boring!
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f] - Boring!!!
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] - Horrible!!!
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] - Why do so many people love this name so much? It’s ugly and tacky! Also makes me think of the book/film The Fault In Our Stars that is so mega over-rated.
[name_f]Maya[/name_f] - Boring!!!
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f] - Makes me think of the boring film Frozen that film is so over-rated!
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] - Horrible, ugly and tacky!
[name_f]Kate[/name_f] - Ugly!!!
[name_f]Emily[/name_f] - Boring!!!

Boys Names I Hate:
[name_m]Todd[/name_m] - Ugly!!!
[name_u]Jayden[/name_u] - Ugly!!!
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] - It just sounds ridicules! It sounds like “Saw Ya”.
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m] - Boring!!!
[name_m]Joel[/name_m] - Not a fan!
[name_m]John[/name_m] - Mega popular! I know to many [name_m]John[/name_m]'s.
[name_u]Ryan[/name_u] - Boring!!!
[name_u]Finn[/name_u] - Boring!!!
[name_u]Flynn[/name_u] - pointless!
[name_m]Ezra[/name_m] - Odd!
[name_m]Connor[/name_m] - Ugly!!!
[name_m]William[/name_m] - Boring!!!
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m] - Boring!!!
[name_m]Tom[/name_m] - Boring!!!
[name_u]James[/name_u] - Boring!!!
[name_m]George[/name_m] - Horrible!!!

I know I may have sounded harsh with some of these names I just really can’t stand them! If I hear another person called these names I’m going to scream.