Names you love that most people don't get

For me, girls names including [name]Blodwen[/name] and [name]Hortensia[/name] I just [name]LOVE[/name]. Boys…[name]Otis[/name]. I get a lot of negative reactions to those three especially. [name]Blodwen[/name] get associated with blood, [name]Hortensia[/name] with working gals, and [name]Otis[/name] with cookies and serial killers. But I still love them. [name]Blodwen[/name] and [name]Otis[/name] I am more likely to actually use than [name]Hortensia[/name] though. What are some of yours?

Some others of mine:
Narcissa
Othella
Dellen
Dinah
Romulus
Thor
Amos
Fairuza
Fflur
Ffion
Hippolyta
Jocasta
Jessamine
Pandora
Muirgen

Boys:
Rhylan [name]James[/name]
[name]Jaxon[/name] ([name]Jax[/name]) Blayden

Girls:
[name]Lexi[/name] [name]Elaine[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Marie[/name]

<3

I like [name]Hortensia[/name] in its Spanish pronunciation. There is a realtor in my area named [name]Hortensia[/name] McKinnon and somehow that name combination really appeals to me. So many names sound great in their original language but fall flat in English. [name]Gertrude[/name], for example.

As far as names that even most Nameberries don’t seem to like, I’m a fan of [name]Muriel[/name], [name]Hero[/name] and [name]Bertha[/name].

Hahaha I love [name]Gertrude[/name]…even in English. IDK, it sounds like the name of a couture model.

Most people seem to have a real problem with [name]Damien[/name]. I always get “like demon!” and all I can say is “[name]Freddy[/name], like the dream killer?” “[name]Jason[/name], like Vorhees?” “[name]Reagan[/name], possessed demon girl” “[name]Charles[/name] like [name]Charles[/name] [name]Manson[/name]?”

I would appreciate people trying to find out what a name means before speaking negatively. Or, at the very least, listen to me when i explain the meaning instead of interrupting and arguing the meaning with me >.<

i’ve also gotten some weird looks from Persephone. She was also the reason Spring happened and the reason the entire population of the earth didn’t starve to death. She allows the Earth to have life and springtime. If she had never been allowed to come back, the world would have been in a perpetual state of drought! There’s more to her story than her being the queen of the underworld and it’s a little annoying to get comments on it from people who barely know the story at all.

Of course, i love those names anyway, so it doesn’t matter.

For some reason, I always get really weird looks in real life when I talk about naming a character [name]Seraphina[/name].

my husbands name is [name]Damian[/name] and i think its a lovely name and i lovvvvvvvvvve [name]Reagan[/name] for a boy or girl, i love [name]Persephone[/name] (Seph) and [name]Jaxon[/name] and [name]Rylan[/name] but im going to spell it with a “h” Rhylan :smiley:

I like [name]Damien[/name]/[name]Damian[/name]. I knew one growing up. People called him the antichrist.

[name]Kerensa[/name]. It’s a name that honors my paternal grandmother, but when I mention it, people get this look on their face like WTF kind of name is that?! Especially the grandmother who the name honors. She doesn’t get why I care about naming my future children when it’s still a bit of a way off.
@ nymphalis antiopa: I adore [name]Otis[/name]. It’s not a name that I would actually ever use, but it’s a huge GP for me. It’s been on my list ever since I saw the most adorable baby boy with this name.

I love [name]Odette[/name] so much! No one especially my husband can see the attraction at all! I just love how it sounds and looks. Also [name]Caledon[/name] is so handsome to me but like [name]Odette[/name] no one understands why i like it so much. They kinda like the nn [name]Cal[/name] though.

I know it’s fairly common/accepted on here, but most people look at me like I have three heads when I mention the name [name]Imogen[/name] - but I adore it!

I really like the name [name]Tosca[/name], but I get really weird facial expressions in response to it. Not even Nameberries or my friend who was seriously considering names like [name]Merlin[/name] and [name]Orion[/name] have had positive reactions! It’s the name of one of my favorite authors ([name]Tosca[/name] [name]Lee[/name]); she was named for the opera [name]Tosca[/name].

Yeah, I dont understand why some people hate [name]Damien[/name]. I love [name]Pandora[/name] and [name]Persephone[/name], but people think I’m crazy when I mention them. I adore [name]Imogen[/name] too, and Elowen. :smiley:

Actually my list of GP names is pretty long.

[name]Andromeda[/name]
[name]Arwen[/name]
[name]Bellatrix[/name]
Daenerys
[name]Serenity[/name]
[name]October[/name]
[name]Heidi[/name]
Kendalyn
[name]Sterling[/name]
[name]Nehemiah[/name]
Remaziah
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Seren[/name]
[name]Lyric[/name]
[name]Indigo[/name]
[name]Isis[/name]
Zendaya
Zafrina
[name]Guinevere[/name]
[name]Mercy[/name]
[name]Indria[/name]
[name]Callista[/name]

A lot of these would actually be usuable, if I was brave enough. @nymphalis antiopa: I definitely see the appeal of [name]Hortensia[/name]. I has a really pretty sound. Im just afraid it has a lot of teasing potential. But I love it. :slight_smile:
And I just saw someone posted [name]Tosca[/name]. I [name]LOVE[/name] THAT.

Shellezbellez, I love the name [name]Tosca[/name]! I might be biased, though, because there was a meerkat named [name]Tosca[/name] on my favorite show a few years ago.

A lot of people don’t understand the name [name]Saba[/name] (SAH-ba). I saw it on a TV show and fell in love. [name]Say[/name] it out loud! It has an amazing sound. Yet no one else seems to like it. Lol.

@rhiataylor-- I actually like almost all the names on your list!

I know a [name]Saba[/name] [name]IRL[/name]. Former coworker from Germany.

@rhiataylor - noticed [name]Arwen[/name] on your list… my boyfriend has lobbied pretty hard for me to include that or [name]Eowyn[/name] for future girl names, so he’s with you!

I think my guilty pleasure list is actually longer than my real list right now.

GIRLS:
[name]Cressida[/name] NN [name]Sidda[/name]
[name]Artemis[/name]
[name]Persephone[/name]
[name]Jocasta[/name]
[name]Hermione[/name] - after [name]Shakespeare[/name], NOT [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name].
[name]Hero[/name] - pron. like the word
[name]Lorelei[/name]
[name]Edith[/name] NN [name]Edie[/name]
[name]Millicent[/name]
[name]Mildred[/name]
[name]Odetta[/name]
[name]Juniper[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name] your daughter’s name, nymphalis!
[name]Pandora[/name] - but I think it’s too much to burden a child with
[name]Althea[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] - only here because SO hates it, but I adore this name.
Veralidaine - from a book
Jennaviva - phonetic sp. of [name]Genoviva[/name]
[name]Coraline[/name] - I have the button key from the movie tattooed on my hip!
[name]Prudence[/name] - love NN [name]Prue[/name] but not the actual name itself
[name]Andromeda[/name]
[name]Cassiopeia[/name]
Larkspur
[name]Tennyson[/name]

BOYS:
[name]Otis[/name] - I totally agree with PP’s on this… it’s handsome!
[name]Absalom[/name]
[name]Ptolemy[/name]
Theodred - I’m in love with all names ending in “-dred”
[name]Atlas[/name]
[name]Oberon[/name]
[name]King[/name] - I’m not pretentious enough to actually name my child [name]King[/name], but it would be after my and SO’s favorite author, [name]Stephen[/name] [name]King[/name].
[name]Caesar[/name]
[name]Noble[/name] - I babysat a little boy named this
[name]Orson[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name] - it gets a lot of love on here but I’ve never met one [name]IRL[/name].
[name]Frederick[/name] NN [name]Fritz[/name]
[name]Lysander[/name]
[name]Ferdinand[/name]
[name]Luther[/name]
[name]Mortimer[/name]
[name]Mordecai[/name]
Estlin - as a MN, after e.e. cummings

…and that’s just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

@greyer WOW, I love most of the names on your lists. A few of them are actually on my list and not just as GP names, as actual contenders. :slight_smile:
Can’t believe I forgot Jocasta. Its pretty, I just don’t like the literary connotations, but that’s probably why its on everybody’s GP list. I actually think Cressida MIGHT be usable maybe as a middle name. Same thing with Oberon.
@dantea- I went to your name blog; we have similar taste in names. I liked a lot of them! Plus I found the name Abilene, which I hadn’t heard before, which is now on my middle name list…

90% of your guilty pleasure names I would use for real lol. And thank you. Her name fits her very well.