Names you wish people would discover

So, I have “my” names that I selfishly don’t want to become popular ever because I’m so deeply attached to them and don’t have the option or opportunity to have a child in the next two to three years. And then I have names that I like a great deal, but probably will never get to use because I’m not [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] Duggar. I very much wish a few parents would discover [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f], [name_f]Corisande[/name_f], or Esmeree, for example, so as not to be introduced to yet another three-year-old [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], or [name_f]Kaylee[/name_f]. (I once had the pleasure of meeting a nine-week-old [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f]. I wanted to hug that mother.)

1 Like

I totally get what you mean, I HATE it when ‘my’ names start to rise in popularity! I want to use them whilst they are still fresh so if they do become popular people will see that ‘I got there first’ (sorry, I hate saying that it sounds so childish but you see my point!)
Funny you should mention [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f], its very popular here in [name_m]Wales[/name_m]. One of my neighbours is a [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]. An old collegue was Rhianydd and I also know a Rhianwen! (which I [name_f]ADORE[/name_f]!)
Names I wish other people would discover…I’m not entirely sure. I was so excited to hear one of my friends likes the name [name_u]Emery[/name_u] today. I was like “omg, you know the name [name_u]Emery[/name_u]?!” (but at the same time kind of gutted because it was one of ‘my’ names!)

In a way, I like how the general public are so naive with names. Okay, if you really like a name thats fair enough. But when non-name nerds pick names BECAUSE they are popular, or because other people are using it, or even when people use trendy names thinking they are the new thing (hello [name_u]Skylar[/name_u] and [name_u]Jayden[/name_u]), it makes me laugh and feel glad that theres this little popularity of us namenerds who know that there’s a much wider, faster majority of interesting names out there, and I think I like to keep it that way!

Hahaha!! I totally understand!! And if it’s childish to be possessive of one’s favorites, I guess I’m happy being childish right along with you. :slight_smile: I suppose I wouldn’t really enjoy the non NB world having a complete name Renaissance, but I’d love for them to check under a couple of rocks or take a peek over the horizon. Like, instead of another [name_u]Madison[/name_u], maybe land on [name_f]Morgana[/name_f]. Instead of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], be brave and try [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f].

1 Like

Absolutely!

My husband is probably sick of me telling him the names of random kids I hear around and me “renaming” them in my mind (or out loud to him).

I do feel like people are becoming more brave with names, which is a good trend!

I would love to meet a baby [name_m]Darius[/name_m] or [name_m]Angus[/name_m]!
Or a little [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] or [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] or [name_f]Nova[/name_f]

My cousin called her second daughter [name_f]Jaylinn[/name_f], and while in these parts of the world that’s daring (my father confused it for a Chinese name and was like - oh that’s interesting, an Eastern connection!), many of us grew up watching American telly so even the sound of [name_f]Jaylinn[/name_f] should be enough to make people roll their eyes, while I thought they did a good job for their first daughter going for an English name that was a classic but not yet overused here. I’m all for that, like if we’re going to branch out, bring on the classic English inspired names rather than these weird mash ups that don’t even sound fresh in a country where they’re not even really in use and only confuse older people. So the other day I was thinking of having five daughters named [name_f]Posy[/name_f], [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f], [name_f]Orla[/name_f], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] and [name_f]Willa[/name_f]… and then I realized that’s not exactly realistic, but I’d gladly share them with anyone who’s actually becoming a mother! I don’t want anyone to blink an eye when they hear those names. At the same time, I wouldn’t want [name_f]Ella[/name_f] to become more popular here, right now it’s moderately popular, like it’s in a safe category that will get you a lot of compliments because it’s an established name but doesn’t bore people yet… so yeah I guess I mostly have that protectionist feeling over names that are rather established and you don’t want to be one of the ‘boring’ parents. As for names that I love in terms of style but are still a daring choice for no good reason whatsoever, I want other people to pave the way I guess…

Someday I’ll actually write down the list of names I’m going to suggest to my future sister-in-law. There are so many names that I love but wouldn’t want to name my own child. As much as I love [name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_m]Holden[/name_m], it’s not going to beat out [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m], [name_u]Sidney[/name_u] [name_u]Dean[/name_u], or [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Benedict[/name_m], so I’d be more than thrilled to have it used for my nephew. Same with [name_m]Roger[/name_m] or [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] and [name_f]Hadassah[/name_f], [name_f]Margery[/name_f], and [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] for the girls!

One of my favorite names I can’t use (just doesn’t go with our other names personally) is [name_f]Zipporah[/name_f]. I’d love to meet a little Zippy <3

Haha I feel the same way. I mean, lots of my favourites are well-known, but I really hope they’re not getting popular. Not now, especially not when I’m actually ready to have kids. I hope most people stop using my favourite names so by the time my kids are born, the names are already quite rare. Selfish, I know. :stuck_out_tongue:

On the other hand, I’d love to meet little [name_f]Fiammetta[/name_f], [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], [name_f]Demetria[/name_f], [name_f]Calliope[/name_f], [name_u]Calypso[/name_u], [name_f]Bianca[/name_f], [name_f]Azura[/name_f]/[name_f]Azure[/name_f], [name_f]Tatiana[/name_f], [name_f]Nerissa[/name_f], [name_f]Larissa[/name_f], [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], [name_f]Elysia[/name_f], [name_f]Leonora[/name_f], [name_f]Vincenza[/name_f], [name_m]Darius[/name_m], [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m], [name_m]Lucias[/name_m], [name_m]Albus[/name_m], the list is endless…

1 Like

You guys, sssshhhhhh! I’m planning on using [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] one day!

Haha! We won’t tell if you won’t! :smiley:

[name_f]Twila[/name_f], [name_f]Maudie[/name_f], [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m], [name_m]Remus[/name_m], [name_f]Morag[/name_f], [name_m]Duncan[/name_m], [name_f]Dierdre[/name_f], [name_f]Sigrid[/name_f], [name_m]Gamaliel[/name_m], [name_f]Mehitabel[/name_f], [name_m]Tybalt[/name_m], [name_f]Chava[/name_f], [name_f]Shoshana[/name_f], [name_f]Manon[/name_f], [name_m]Oz[/name_m], [name_m]Abner[/name_m], [name_f]Sidra[/name_f], [name_m]Absalom[/name_m], [name_f]Davina[/name_f], [name_f]Samira[/name_f], [name_m]Benedict[/name_m], [name_f]Fabienne[/name_f], [name_m]Etienne[/name_m], [name_f]Angelou[/name_f], [name_m]Lucian[/name_m], [name_f]Araminta[/name_f], [name_m]Gawain[/name_m], [name_m]Rolf[/name_m], [name_m]Roald[/name_m], [name_f]Ursula[/name_f], [name_m]Evander[/name_m], [name_m]Lysander[/name_m], [name_m]Orson[/name_m], [name_u]Lyle[/name_u], [name_f]Giada[/name_f], [name_m]Pablo[/name_m], Andante, Yocheved, [name_f]Desdemona[/name_f], [name_m]Eberhard[/name_m], Finias, [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m], [name_m]Hamish[/name_m], [name_f]Tempest[/name_f], [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m], [name_f]Moira[/name_f], [name_f]Mitzi[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Xochitl[/name_f], [name_u]Cedar[/name_u], Delphinium, [name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f], [name_m]Dante[/name_m], [name_f]Nannette[/name_f], [name_f]Dido[/name_f], [name_u]Wallace[/name_u], [name_m]Fritz[/name_m], [name_m]Bernard[/name_m], [name_f]Tawnie[/name_f], Elmur, [name_f]Hildred[/name_f], [name_f]Melisande[/name_f], [name_m]Dimitri[/name_m], [name_m]Faustino[/name_m], [name_m]Frasier[/name_m], [name_m]Herman[/name_m], [name_f]Hester[/name_f], [name_m]Aldous[/name_m], [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], [name_f]Mallory[/name_f], [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f], [name_m]Thelonious[/name_m], [name_f]Abelia[/name_f], [name_u]Poe[/name_u], [name_f]Renata[/name_f], [name_f]Morgana[/name_f], [name_f]Rhonwen[/name_f], [name_f]Linnea[/name_f], [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m], [name_m]Clyde[/name_m], [name_f]Ondine[/name_f], [name_f]Eleni[/name_f], [name_f]Indira[/name_f], Shalani, Shaefali, [name_u]Sage[/name_u], [name_m]Solomon[/name_m], [name_u]Echo[/name_u], [name_m]Simeon[/name_m], Etc.

That was just off the top of my head. [name_u]Love[/name_u] to see those beat out the tops anyday. [name_u]Love[/name_u] to meet these little guys.

1 Like

@medfordkung, [name_f]Xochitl[/name_f] is my daughter’s middle name! I love it. And [name_f]Chava[/name_f] is my sister in law’s nickname. In Mexico, Chavela is the nickname for [name_f]Isabel[/name_f], but that gets shortened to [name_f]Chava[/name_f].

As I can’t use a lot of names because they don’t work in my second language (Greek), I have a lot that I would love to be popular just so I had the pleasure of hearing them. For example:
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Antigone[/name_f] (this one doesn’t work in English lol)
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]/[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]/[name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f]
[name_f]Hattie[/name_f]
[name_f]Holiday[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_f]Juno[/name_f]
[name_u]Pepper[/name_u]
[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Sibyl[/name_f]/[name_f]Sybil[/name_f]
[name_f]Suri[/name_f]
[name_u]Sasha[/name_u]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f] (this is the word for aunt in Greek, [name_f]Thea[/name_f] [name_f]Thea[/name_f] would be a bit weird, no?)
[name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] (doesn’t work in English)
[name_f]Isabeau[/name_f]
[name_m]Albert[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruno[/name_m]
[name_m]Churchill[/name_m]
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_m]Frank[/name_m]/[name_u]Frankie[/name_u]/[name_m]Franklin[/name_m]/[name_u]Francis[/name_u]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] (I’m working on this one though, I think it can translate)
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]

Consequently, these will be used on pets.
@medfordkung- my name is Eleni. I don’t recommend it to people because the average American finds the pronunciation and spelling much too difficult =) It’s a great name despite that.

[name_f]Calliope[/name_f] was our top choice for a girl for #2 but it is a boy. I hope we have another girl down the road so we can use it!! [name_u]Love[/name_u] it!!

Id love to meet a little:

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Calla[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Fauna[/name_f]
[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Wednesday[/name_f]
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]

[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]
[name_m]Hart[/name_m]
[name_m]Kellan[/name_m]
[name_m]Killian[/name_m]
[name_m]Harry[/name_m]

[name_f]Noemi[/name_f] [name_f]Xochitl[/name_f] is beautiful!

Of course reading through this post I am seeing a lot of “my” names that I don’t want to get popular. If only berries could name the world.

It’s funny for me getting my BFA I saw so many of these names (and still do as I work at the school). I don’t know, it’s something about some of these names, if they were born in the 90s early 00s they’re bound to have ended up in an art school :slight_smile:

I wish I saw more kids named [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] & [name_f]Adina[/name_f]. They were on the shortlist when my parents had me, and it would feel so wrong giving my child my parents leftovers.

I’d really love to see some little ones named [name_u]Lionel[/name_u], [name_f]Rosetta[/name_f], [name_u]Patrice[/name_u], and [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f].

Funny how quite a number of you want to see a [name_m]Darius[/name_m] and I met one recently ;D

I’d wish people would discover some cultural names like [name_f]Kirsi[/name_f] (Finnish) and [name_m]Jun[/name_m] (Chinese, Korean, Japanese) which I both love. Some more names are [name_f]Della[/name_f], [name_u]November[/name_u], [name_m]Aries[/name_m], [name_m]Callen[/name_m] and [name_m]Rainier[/name_m].

I wish more people would discover names ending in -us. [name_m]Magnus[/name_m], [name_m]Mingus[/name_m], [name_m]Angus[/name_m], [name_m]Aloysius[/name_m], [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m], [name_m]Odysseus[/name_m]. I don’t find myself liking a lot of boy names but these names I seem to really love. Problem is that they may be hard for a kid to wear since they are so uncommon and a bit ‘heavy’.