Narelle

As I am Australian and my husband is Canadian, I would love to give our next child piece of Aussie name, if she is a girl (and my husband agrees. He sort of agreed) Now besides [name]Kylie[/name] and Kirra and Valmai, which are too popular for my taste or I just plain do not like, the Aussie name I like is Narelle.

This name isn’t on Nameberry, but I went to school with at least 5 of them (I am 30) and have met many others. But it seems to have a bit of a ‘lower class’ feel to it now. I know that overseas, in [name]Canada[/name] for example the name would seem fresh and new. I think it is a very pretty name, and rare enough not to be too dated. And I like the nicknames Relly and [name]Nelly[/name].

Any Aussies have an opinion? Any non-Aussies have an opinion! lol!

I am from the U.S. Narelle is not my style, and doesn’t seem to fit with your other daughter’s name, [name]Elsa[/name]… (I saw on your signature). Are you open to other suggestions?

I am always open to suggestions. See [name]Future[/name] Boy’s name is chosen - [name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name]. I have the Girls List Of Names That We Have Agreed Upon. Then I thought that it would be nice to have an Australian list too.

the Agreed Girl’s Official List is

[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Cassia[/name]
[name]Iola[/name]
[name]Maribelle[/name]
[name]Lucienne[/name]
[name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Maude[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
Narelle

all with the middle name [name]Heather[/name].

Getting my husband to agree to names is like a 1 agree to 30 disagree, so that list is pretty precious!

oh, and if we were to not have a boy by baby number 3 the 3rd girl’s name is [name]Harriet[/name]. We have a [name]Henry[/name] we want to honour.

[name]Mary[/name] is the big standout on your list for me. Such a pretty name on its own and sibsets [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Mary[/name], [name]Henry[/name] or [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Mary[/name], [name]Harriet[/name] sound beautiful together.

Funny, I recently read a [name]Young[/name] Adult book (“Unwind”) and Narelle was a middle name for a boy :slight_smile: And I thought it was a nice name! I lived in Australia for 13 years (left 6 years ago) but hadn’t met any Narelle… or Kirra or Valmai and I’m just a bit older than you. I was in [name]Melbourne[/name] though not sure if that made a difference :slight_smile:

I think [name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name] a bit much for a child to carry! Maybe you don’t think of it this way, but I immediately think of the American-turned-[name]Brit[/name] novelist of the 19the century. Perhaps that is exactly what you had in mind! But to me, [name]James[/name] is simply one of the heaviest of writers. Such a solemn, onorous burden for a kid! [name]James[/name] was so calm in his exploration of evil in “Turn of the Screw.” I would simply shudder at linking him to an innocent baby! I just bring this up in case you hadn’t thought of your boy name quite that way. If you just adore [name]James[/name] (the writer, that is) and wonder what I am raving about, just ignore me. I’m sure most people would find that response oversensitive, to say the least. [name]James[/name] kept ruining perfectly good names for me – [name]Daisy[/name], by linking it to the tragic [name]Daisy[/name] [name]Miller[/name], [name]Flora[/name] and [name]Miles[/name], by making them (possibly) the most perfect portrait of evil masquerading as innocence. I could go on and on. But I hadn’t realized he had ruined “[name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name]” as a name choice for me until you brought it up!

As for your current dilemma – I can’t love Narelle, but then I’m not Aussie and I’ve never heard it before. I totally love your list, however! It is almost hard for me to choose a favorite. [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Willow[/name] are great. With [name]Penelope[/name], you still have the nn [name]Nelly[/name], which I completely love. [name]Willow[/name] is lovely. I like both [name]Juniper[/name] and [name]Meredith[/name]. I like all the choices on your list better than Narelle, although if you want that “elle” ending there are other ways to get at it. I like [name]Arabelle[/name], but then, as you said, your list is precious because your husband has signed on, and your list is good enough you need to narrow, not expand it. You could use either [name]Maude[/name] in the middle possibly with one of your stronger choices. I like [name]Maribelle[/name].

Where’s [name]Lemon[/name] to link some of these great names?

I [name]LOVE[/name] the novelist [name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name]! not quite as much as [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Hardy[/name] (which I would totally use as a name as well), and actually like [name]Flora[/name] for that reason (but because of the margarine, not useable!)

No the [name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name] Ourlastname is because [name]James[/name] in my husbands middle name, my father’s middle name, his father’s middle name and [name]Henry[/name] is my fav boys name, his grandfather who brought him up’s middle name and my gg g’fathers name. So we couldnt really go past it.

My main argument against Narelle is that it has the ‘elle’ sound like [name]Elle[/name]-sa. but maybe I don’t mind that.

(I love [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Harriet[/name] also!)

After reading this I would almost choose the name solely so that someone could call her Narelliphant! because that is funny!

So you’re telling me I can use [name]Flora[/name] after all, even with the “Turn of the Screw” association, but then NOT SO MUCH because there is a margarine named [name]Flora[/name]! I could have lived without that that knowledge! Maybe it’s okay if they don’t sell [name]Flora[/name] Margarine where you live?

I like [name]Mary[/name]. It works so well with your other choices. Have you thought of [name]Henrietta[/name]? I can’t remember. Or are you saving [name]Henry[/name] for your boy? I love [name]Henrietta[/name] – or [name]Harriet[/name] – or [name]Harrietta[/name]. I do like [name]Hetta[/name] as a nn. [name]Hetta[/name] and [name]Elsa[/name]. I think it works. What do you think?

Well, I would totally use [name]Flora[/name] if I was not living in a country where it is one of the most popular brands. I would have used [name]Elsa[/name] even if it was a tampon brand in [name]Ireland[/name] or something! [name]Flora[/name] is GREAT for you! :lol:

[name]Henrietta[/name], and other sounding versions thereof, belongs firmly to my good friend for her first baby. She wants the nickname [name]Etta[/name]. I respect this.

If bub2 is [name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name], then bub3 will definately not be [name]Harriet[/name]. So bub2 can’t be [name]Harriet[/name] in case then we get a 3 and go, whoops, now you can’t be [name]Henry[/name].

if bub2 is [name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name], and bub3 is a boy, this is much simpler.

With the middle name [name]Heath[/name] -

[name]Owen[/name]
or
[name]Mitchell[/name]

Only boys names we can agree on!

Hmmm… I’m Aussie but I’m not sure if I’ll be of much help, but I’ll try!

I agree that [name]Kylie[/name] is out (too popular) and to be honest I’ve never met anyone called Kirra or Valmai. Kirra made me think, though, of two nature names that are Aussie - [name]Karri[/name] and Jarrah (both beautiful trees from Western Australia). I know several people with each name. [name]Karri[/name] might just come across as a kreeatyv spelling of [name]Carrie[/name] in other countries, though. And Jarrah is almost too masculine, I think (but I know it on men and women).

I’m afraid I really can’t get behind Narelle, especially as a sibling to [name]Elsa[/name] (the name of my future daughter, by the way! You have great taste :wink: ). To me, Narelle belongs with [name]Sharon[/name] and [name]Tracey[/name] as a firm 70s baby. I don’t even like the sound of it, sorry, though I do love the nickname [name]Nell[/name]!

Babynamescountry.com lists quite a few names as Aussie in origin, and some are nice. It doesn’t say but I assume most are originally aboriginal words like [name]Kylie[/name]. I like:

[name]Mayra[/name] - “spring wind”. Really pretty and on trend without being trendy, if you get my drift.
Mirrin - “cloud”. I like it, but you might get people asking if she’s named for [name]Helen[/name] [name]Mirren[/name], and it’s almost unisex sounding which doesn’t fit too well with [name]Elsa[/name] and [name]Henry[/name].
Nandalia - “fire”. I think this is really interesting, if you don’t mind your names a little bit frilly. I’m not sure of the pronunciation, but I’d say nan-da-[name]LEE[/name]-a. Has a similar sound to Narelle, and the pretty nn option of [name]Lia[/name].
Orana - “welcome”. Simple and feminine.
Tempany - Not exactly sure why this is listed as Aussie. Maybe it went through a high popularity period here at one stage? Tempany Deckert was a Home and Away actress in the late nineties. I think it’s an interesting and different word name though, and I really like it with [name]Elsa[/name] and [name]Henry[/name]. It sounds a little bit old-fashioned but still has a modern edge. [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Helen[/name], Tempany [name]Maude[/name], [name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name].

There is also the obvious “Australian” name [name]Matilda[/name], but IMHO I don’t know why you’d want to name someone after a song about a guy who steals a sheep!

Personally, if I was in your situation I’d probably try to find a name that said Australia to me, but not necessarily to the rest of the world. Is there a place you love (eg. [name]Clare[/name] [name]Valley[/name], [name]Margaret[/name] [name]River[/name], [name]Alice[/name] Springs) that you can turn into a name? Or a street you lived on, or your favourite flower? In an alternate universe I’d love to use Wattle as a name because the wattle flowers at my favourite time of year and I have strong childhood memories attached. [name]Shame[/name] the word isn’t as pretty as the flowers are!

I hope some of this helps, sorry if I’ve waffled a bit. Good luck!

I think that Kirra is a QLD name - because of Kirra beach perhaps. Valmai was a name we used to joke about in school, but I have never actually met one - I think its the name of Dame [name]Edna[/name] Everage’s daughter!

Thank you so much for your response - I am so torn about Narelle because all my US/Canadian friends went on about how pretty the name was and I cant shake the Shazza Bazza connection. If I take it away from its context I love the name. If I think of it in context I can hear some screechy broad calling from the housing commission, “OI NARELLE! Where’s me smokes?”
Because my name is totally bogan too. And maybe thats Australian!

I was in a pub in [name]Canada[/name] (when I was single) and was chatting up a very attractive man who asked my name. When I told him he was shocked. “I thought it would be something Australian” he said. at the time I said “Like Koala?” but then later I was like, wow, I wish that my small country did have more endemic names.

I am very impressed with your list of name suggestions. The only one I immediately discard is Tempany, because of a very disliked person I know called [name]Tim[/name] [name]Penny[/name], and refferred to by me as Timpeny.

The others I will submit to the committee. (who, I believe, is totally over this!)

Actually, Old [name]Sienna[/name], I went to the website you got the names from and, yes you did get the pick of the litter, EXCEPT that Tarne is also there, and it is not only Aboriginal BUT Scandinavian. Which was one of the things I love about [name]Elsa[/name] - its Scandinavian, Spanish, French, English etc. Tarne is a beautiful name! Not sure if it is pronounced Tarn or Tarn-ee though. I like Tarn-ee better.

In [name]Indian[/name] it is Tarn-ay. I guess you can just pick your own pronounciation here!

“Oi, Narelle! Where’s me smokes?” LOL!!

I missed Tarne completely! I do really like it, and I like the Scandinavian link as well. And I would also go for TAR-nee as the pronunciation.

Oh, and I forgot to say before that I think [name]Flora[/name] is an amazing name and I personally wouldn’t think of the margarine first. In fact, it’s a family name for me so I would consider using it myself. Hmmm… I’ve probably just confused you more though, sorry!

I don’t want to derail this thread, but while I’ve got christyheather and Mum of [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Helen[/name] on the line, so to speak, I wanted to mention that I’m writing a novel and one of the characters is from Australia (but he is in the States during the book).

He names a horse Kirra (after the beach). Is that – too obvious? Doesn’t ring true? Would you die laughing if you read it?

Now I feel guilty. I want to contribute to the baby name discussion, but so far all I’ve done is throw a mini-fit about the best novelist in the English language and run by you a name for a horse! By the by – I [name]LOVE[/name] the novels! I just wouldn’t name a kid [name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name]. But I do understand how it will work perfectly for you! Actually, now I think of it, it’s a cool enough name!

The only Australian name I know is [name]Matilda[/name]. Sorry. But I agree with christyheather, Mum of [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Helen[/name] might want to look at Australian place names. You could pore over a map for a while.

And just a little sidenote, I think Australia is a great name – for a boy – and for anyone willing to commit to all four syllables.

I AM christyheather AND mumofelsahelen! LOL

Now, about the horse name - Kirra is a GREAT horse name. My horse’s name is [name]Sheba[/name], by the way :slight_smile: I would totally call a horse Kirra.

Place names are a great idea, there are some great ones - Junee springs to mind.

just found some more girls names:http://uniquebabygirlnamez.com/aboriginal-baby-girl-names.html

I like these ones

Allora - town name
Amarina - rain
Apanie - Water
Binda - Deep Water
[name]Coreen[/name] - the end of the hills
Tatya - person that loves animals
[name]Willa[/name] - a free woman

Kirra is there too, it means leaf.

Thank you so much! “[name]Leaf[/name]” fits perfectly with my themes! I’ll have to work that into the text somehow!

I really like your list! Very nice. [name]Willa[/name] is just gorgeous. This is a fashionable, elegant name abroad too. (Not that that matters.) I hope that doesn’t spoil it for you. I think it is cool because it would have a special, private meaning for you. I love Tatya. It has an Eastern European, Russian feel, as well as being significant in Australia. I love things like that – names as conversation pieces. [name]Coreen[/name] – very beautiful. Amarina. [name]Just[/name] lovely. But I wonder if Allora isn’t my favorite.

I think you are lucky. These are beautiful names, each with a “ring” to it. Often I might steer someone away from these names, no matter how beautiful, because they might seem inventions. But for you, where you are, they have significance in your unusual (to me) world! So – I just think you are lucky. And I hope you use one from this list. I’m going to print out this list for future reference.

I think [name]Pamela[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] ought to start looking to Australia for a batch of fresh, lyrical names with roots.

Sorry about your own name! I swear – I’m more of an idiot than usual when I’m on the Net!

LOL you aren’t an idiot by any stretch of the imagination.

Allora - reminds me a little of the name Alluvia which a very sleazy old man I know called the child he fathered on a 20 year old poverty stricken Cuban who he then left. Which sucks, because I like the name
Amarina - would love to use
Apanie - cant get my head around it
Binda - Would love to use
[name]Coreen[/name] - would love to use
Tatya - Reminds me of a great short film called ‘Titsiana Booberini’, which is a name I love but obviously cant use!
[name]Willa[/name] - I already had this on my list, as the female of [name]William[/name] (husbands name)

I think it is interesting, because if I read some of these names I would think they were made up too!
I mean, no-one ever uses them here that I know of. Perhaps traditional Aboriginals who live the bush way of life do, but mostly Aboriginal people are known by european names like [name]Debra[/name] and [name]Cathy[/name] (to cite two famuse Aboriginals).

This has become quite an interesting post.

I’m Canadian and Narelle doesn’t seem Australian to me. It seems kind of made up. Athought I realize that Australia has their own name pool, I guess when I think of Australian names I think of Maori names for some reason. What about [name]Ngaio[/name] or Ngaire? The only drawback is that Canadians may have a tough time spelling and pronouncing them, What do you think about [name]Elsa[/name] and [name]Nyree[/name] as a sibset? I also like Emiri,Iraia and [name]Kiri[/name] too! Best wishes.

I agree, this is a great post! I love Allora, it’s a pity it doesn’t work for you. What’s the matter with Titsiana Booberini, though? It has a nice ring to it :D.

I think that most “aboriginal” names are actually aboriginal words that have been used as names by Europeans, although like you I’ve never met anyone with most of these names. Unfortunately most aborigines are given European names or use European names in public (eg. Oodgeroo Noonuccal used the name Kath [name]Walker[/name] until she reverted to her real name at age 68). The only other traditional aboriginal names I can find are Mandawuy (Yunupingu), Bennelong, Truganini, Burnum Burnum and Yagan. Most of these names are likely to be unusable anyway for reasons of cultural sensitivity (Truganini, for example, was the last of the Tasmanian aborigines).

Like bonnie1107, I really didn’t want to derail your thread, christyheather. I’m sorry if this is getting a bit off the topic of Narelle. I just find it fascinating, especially as I have studied the Nyungar culture a little bit, and this combination of culture, history and etymology is right up my alley!

You are right-- very fascinating thread. You are also probably right about the names. [name]True[/name] Aboriginal names might be too foreign sounding and also taboo, while the words that appeal to us might not be used as names for people. That would be so typical. But I think this could still be a legitimate pool of names. Mum of EH – and anyone else interested – might want to do a little checking to learn if Aboriginals find anything offensive here. I know Native Americans are beginning to have issues with the larger American population misusing some sacred words as names. They object to [name]Dakota[/name], for instance. When I found out, I thought, oh good. Now maybe that fad will finally end. But there are other words from Native languages that they think would make good names – for anyone. That could be true in Australia too.