Need a "surfer"/water/"cool dude" inspired baby name

So I finally narrowed down my style! I want a laid back, easy going, “surfer” name for baby number 2. We named my first son [name]Kai[/name], which is very Hawaiian/surfery. We actually live in [name]Hawaii[/name]…but this time around I don’t want another Hawaiian name. We had [name]Kai[/name] in [name]Texas[/name], thinking it was unique, but when we moved here 6 months ago I became surrounded with tons and tons of baby Kais!

We still won’t know the sex of this baby for awhile…but I have a feeling it’s another boy.

I like the easy-going sound of [name]Kai[/name] and I’d like another short name if possible (one or three syllables, two sounds weird with our last name).

Here is what I have so far, but not so sure of:

[name]Zane[/name]
[name]Wade[/name]
[name]Rune[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Wylie[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
[name]Reid[/name]

Here are some I know of but are not going for for different reasons:

[name]Cove[/name]
[name]Brody[/name]/[name]Brodie[/name]
[name]Hurley[/name]
[name]Oakley[/name]
[name]Duke[/name]
[name]Reef[/name]
[name]Keefer[/name]/[name]Keifer[/name]

Here are other non-surfer names I love, but will not be using

[name]Rhys[/name] (ppl can’t pronounce it right, plus [name]Reece[/name] for a girl is in the top 100 here)
[name]Weston[/name] (sounds funny with our last name)
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Theo[/name]

THANKS! You guys are amazing! I’m on this website daily…but I still can’t find what I’m looking for!

[name]Zane[/name] has more of a skater feel than a surfer feel. [name]Wade[/name], [name]Wylie[/name], [name]Seth[/name], and [name]Reid[/name] all sound like cowboys to me. I don’t really get a “vibe” from [name]Rune[/name] or [name]Rowan[/name]. I’ve never heard [name]Rune[/name] used as a name. What about [name]Rooney[/name]?

When I think of surfer names for boys the first that come to mind are [name]Sidney[/name] and [name]Kyle[/name]. Neither of those seem like your style though. Here are some name suggestions I think have a “surfer” vibe.

[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Colt[/name]
[name]Logan[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Dax[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Ryne[/name]
[name]Cody[/name]
[name]Hayden[/name]
[name]Brady[/name]
[name]Riley[/name]
[name]Keane[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Sean[/name]
[name]Connor[/name]
[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Blake[/name]
[name]Jake[/name]

Any of those your style?

I like [name]Finn[/name], always have! But DH absolutely hates it. He makes a “fishy” face whenever I say…"[name]How[/name] about [name]Finn[/name]? Please, please, please?"

I love [name]Grant[/name] though! And I like how Bryne looks. (Is it pronounced like [name]Brynn[/name] or [name]Brian[/name]?)

But none of the other ones stand out to me :confused:

A few non-Hawaiin names with ocean-y meanings:
[name]Dylan[/name] - Welsh, “from the ocean”
[name]Dorian[/name] - Greek, “of the sea”
Merrick - Celtic, “ruler of the sea”
[name]Hurley[/name] - Irish, “sea tide”

Names with surf-y connotations:
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Woody[/name]
[name]Reef[/name]
[name]Ryder[/name]

We are naming our baby boy [name]Finnegan[/name] (nn [name]Finn[/name]) [name]Cash[/name]. DH wants to call him [name]Cash[/name]. It’s a cool dude name but not really surfer.

[name]Cash[/name] is sooo cute! Surprisingly I already know one though!! A cute little toe-head toddler in my son’s playgroup is named [name]Cash[/name]. It fits him perfectly.

Sometimes I feel like all the good names get taken! I need to stop going to playgroups so I don’t meet any other kids with cool names lol.

There seems to be a similar theme in my family, so I thought I’d list some cousins’ names to see if any stick out for you:
[name]Tyde[/name]
[name]Kody[/name]
[name]Kelly[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Hayes[/name]
[name]Taj[/name]
[name]Jett[/name]
[name]Jackson[/name]
[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Bryn[/name]

Someone already mentioned this, but [name]RYDER[/name] is a very cool name. And could be associated with riding a wave I guess… “the wave rider”…

[name]Kai[/name] and [name]Ryder[/name] sound great as brothers.

[name]Love[/name] the name [name]Kai[/name] by the way.

My grampa’s girlfriend’s grandsons (follow that? :wink: ) are twins named [name]Kai[/name] and [name]Ian[/name]. I like the suggestion of [name]Ryder[/name]. I love [name]Grant[/name], that is my brother’s name and he loves his name (he’s 21 now). I heard the name [name]Yeats[/name] the other day, pronounced like the writer. I also think [name]Breck[/name] or Brecken, or [name]Beck[/name] would work. Congrats and good luck.

Here are a few of my favorite “cool dude” names…
[name]Brody[/name] - It’s one of my all-time favs
[name]Cayden[/name] - sounds island-ish and and isn’t as trendy as it’s brothers [name]Colin[/name] or [name]Aiden[/name]
[name]Cove[/name] - I love it, and it goes great with [name]Kai[/name]
[name]Casey[/name] - I don’t know, but this one still sounds cool to me, even though it’s on its been around for a long time
[name]Ryder[/name] - really nice. love it.
[name]Jacob[/name]/[name]Jakob[/name] “[name]Jake[/name]” - I like [name]Jacob[/name] (I prefer the [name]Jakob[/name] spelling) and it has the more casual nn [name]Jake[/name].
[name]Ian[/name] - I like it a lot, has a nice, professional image without being stuffy (like [name]Harrison[/name])
[name]Gavin[/name] - I like this name, a little hard to say for me, but still a good choice
[name]Grant[/name] - good choice

Well, these are just my ideas. But I love the name [name]Kai[/name] and these kinda go along with that theme (but not too closely).

What about [name]Rice[/name]/Ryce? First thing that came to my mind! Also [name]Harlan[/name], but it’s two syllables.

From your list that you’re not sure about, I think that [name]Reid[/name], [name]Rune[/name], [name]Wade[/name] and [name]Rowan[/name] are great. [name]Rune[/name] and [name]Wade[/name] are probably more “surfer” boy names to me (particularly [name]Wade[/name]!). These remind me of [name]Wayne[/name] and [name]Rohan[/name] ([name]RO[/name]-han).

[name]Leopold[/name] is the only other thing I can think of… Unless you like [name]Ryker[/name] (2 again). :smiley:

[name]Blaine[/name].

If your husband does not like [name]Finn[/name], maybe he would like [name]Flynn[/name]! I think [name]Flynn[/name] has a very laid back feel to it.

Also, I like:

[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Lou[/name]
Laars
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Ace[/name]
[name]Beau[/name] (my fave!) - [name]Kai[/name] and [name]Beau[/name]…so cute! :slight_smile:
[name]Chase[/name]
[name]Chad[/name]
[name]Wes[/name]
[name]Gray[/name] (love this with [name]Kai[/name], too!)

Good luck!

Well, I asked my husband (who grew up on a beach with a bunch of “surfer dudes”) and he suggested [name]Tyler[/name] and [name]Cody[/name]. Out of the names that pp’s have suggested, I like [name]Wylie[/name] and [name]Cove[/name] the best. I also think [name]Coy[/name] has a surfer feel to it, but it might be too close to [name]Kai[/name].

A name that hasn’t been suggested is [name]Bodhi[/name]. It’s associated with the buddha and to my ear has a surfer sound. Of course that could also be because it was the name of patrick swayze’s character in point break.

I was just going to post [name]Bodhi[/name] as a suggestion…because of Point Break!

I love [name]Bodhi[/name] and think I might use it for my next son. I also have a [name]Rocco[/name] and a [name]River[/name]. My third I’m thinking [name]Bodhi[/name] [name]Rain[/name]. Thoughts on [name]Bodhi[/name]?

[name]Blaise[/name]?

[name]Cruz[/name]
[name]Dean[/name]
[name]Sloan[/name]
[name]Blaise[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Dylan[/name]
[name]Austin[/name]

I really like your suggestion of [name]Rune[/name]. Beautiful!

I would also like to suggest -

[name]Bram[/name]
[name]Zeke[/name]
[name]Boyd[/name]
[name]Logan[/name]
[name]Rafe[/name]
[name]Zen[/name] (maybe too out there? I do love the sound of ‘[name]Kai[/name] & [name]Zen[/name]’!)
[name]Josh[/name] (I knew a surfer dude called [name]Josh[/name] - it suited him!)