Need honest opinion of the name Molly

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] guys!

So we thought we picked the name. [name_f]Molly[/name_f]! It flows so nicely with our two other boys ([name_u]Mason[/name_u] and [name_m]Myles[/name_m]), and so cute. But then we started telling people. Mother in law who is [name_m]French[/name_m], HATES it. We have had a friend bust out laughing thinking we were joking “really? Like after the drug?”, and then there are the comments…“oh I had a dog/cat named [name_f]Molly[/name_f]” I still think the name is perfect but now hubby is starting to second guess the name. So I was wondering your opinions!

Other names we have thought were [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] and [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] but nothing fits as well as [name_f]Molly[/name_f].

I have a very negative association with this name. But that’s just me personally.

[name_f]Molly[/name_f] is one of my all time favorites! It’s perfectly sweet, happy, and cozy. It’s also a name to fit any age. I think it’s a perfect choice for you!

I like [name_f]Mali[/name_f], not [name_f]Molly[/name_f].
I personally wouldn’t do another M name.

I like [name_f]Molly[/name_f]!! What about [name_u]Marley[/name_u]/[name_f]Marielle[/name_f]? Or [name_f]Mollie[/name_f]?

I loooove [name_f]Molly[/name_f] so much I think it’s timeless and feminine. [name_f]Molly[/name_f] is so beautiful. I agree [name_f]Molly[/name_f] is cozy sweet and friendly. She fits in with all of today’s vintage trends but is really underused. Go for it! I would totally name a daughter [name_f]Molly[/name_f].

I don’t have strong feelings either way about [name_f]Molly[/name_f]. What is it that your [name_f]MIL[/name_f] dislikes about it? I do think it sounds like a nickname so maybe that’s what she’s feeling?

I love [name_f]Molly[/name_f]. It’s feminine, sweet, and spunky. One of the most jovial names in my opinion. And it would be so cute with your boys’ names!

My issue is that it is very associated with drugs (not only is it a nickname for Cannabis but it also is it’s own drug). If that’s a issue for you I suggest [name_f]Mallory[/name_f] but if it doesn’t [name_f]Molly[/name_f] is a nice name.

I love it. My first two thoughts were [name_f]Molly[/name_f] Weasley from the [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] series and [name_f]Molly[/name_f] from the American Girl books.

That was one of my favorite things about the name. It’s classic and familiar but also references [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] without too [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]… If that makes sense lol

Ya that is my husbands fear. I’m not sure how many people actually associate it with drugs.

I grew up with a [name_f]Mollie[/name_f] and a [name_f]Molly[/name_f]; as far as I know, they were never teased for the drug association (and in fact, I didn’t even think about connecting the two until now). The name itself is fine… I much prefer [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], which is what it was originally short for, but that’s me. I do see it used more often for dogs than people, but that’s not an inherently negative thing.

One thing to consider, though: if you have more than three kids, you’ll probably want to keep the M trend going. If you’re planning on that, I wouldn’t pick a third M unless I had a ton of others waiting.

I definitely would not associate [name_f]Molly[/name_f] with drugs.

I think [name_f]Molly[/name_f] is beautiful – warm and friendly and sweet.

I actually think it’s a certain generation that associates [name_f]Molly[/name_f] with drugs. I would associate [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] with Drugs but not [name_f]Molly[/name_f] maybe because I’m over 30. Some one say 18-30 may have a much stronger association for [name_f]Molly[/name_f] with drugs.

As far as it being used as a pet name that doesn’t bothe me I think dogs get some of the cutest spunky names I.e. [name_u]Max[/name_u], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] etc. [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] is also a top dog name. So who cares :slight_smile:

I dislike this name. [name_f]IMO[/name_f] it’s dated to the 90s, I know a lot of kids born then with the name, but it’s also negative slang for a “woman of loose morals”. A prostitute. That is my first association with the name tbh.

Yes it sounds like a nice name, and I agree that it works phonetically with your boys’s names, but there are many similar sounding names without negative associations.

It’s a nice enough name, but I instantly think of [name_f]Molly[/name_f] Weasley when I hear it (although that’s not a bad thing:) ) I like [name_f]Mallory[/name_f] better than I do [name_f]Molly[/name_f], also given that [name_f]Molly[/name_f] has the drug reference. But if you like it, go for it!

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the name [name_f]Molly[/name_f]. I definitely don’t associate it with drugs. I know a couple of people with the name and they’ve never had teasing for it or other negative connotations implied. If you love it, use it.

I 100% agree! :slight_smile: Perfect with your Boys’ Names!

I love [name_f]Molly[/name_f]! It suits all ages and I don’t know of any negative connotations.