Need some reassurance from my fellow posters, please!

As some of you may have read, my hubby and I are going to name our daughter [name]Rozlynn[/name] (or [name]Roslyn[/name], if I can win that battle). There are only 2 people out of all of our family and friends that like the name. Everyone is telling us how it sounds “old” or that they don’t like it. (I know that “old” is coming back in.) But, with everyone telling me they don’t like it, I’m starting to become uncertain about the name even though my hubby and I both really like the name. I feel bad b/c I was SO excited about this name when we picked it, and now I’m uncertain.
Plus, my own mother is already making fun of the name! She also says it is nowhere near as pretty as [name]Alanna[/name] (our other daughter’s name). She said we should pick a prettier name!

I think that [name]Rozlynn[/name]/[name]Roslyn[/name] is beautiful! If it weren’t so strongly associated with a town name around here, it would definitely be on my list. I think that maybe [name]Alanna[/name] has a bit of a softer sound to it, and the “z” in [name]Rozlynn[/name] is just a tad sharper on the ears, but it’s still a very pretty name in my mind. I picture a spunky little girl who can be a total tomboy but also has a little princess side to her. If you two love the name, I would stick with it. FWIW, making it more of a [name]Rose[/name]-lynn sound would definitely soften it, but I think that’s what you were trying to avoid, right?

Did you decide on a middle name?

I’m sorry! That is terrible. I must admit, it isn’t my favorite, especially with the spelling. However, if you love it, then maybe it is the right name for your daughter.

Here are some more in case you wanted to ponder it…
[name]Regina[/name]
[name]Renee[/name]
[name]Rhiannon[/name]
[name]Risa[/name]
[name]Rosina[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Ryann[/name]

Wishing you the best! :slight_smile:

*I meant it is terrible that your mom is making fun, not that the name is terrible!

TobysMommy - yes, we were trying to avoid the [name]Rose[/name]-lyn sound. We’re not set on a mn yet, but I really liked the suggestion of [name]Shay[/name] - and I like even more that it is an Irish form of [name]James[/name].

Jhanley - thank you - and I knew what you meant about it being terrible. It does hurt me that she’s doing that. I do like [name]Rosina[/name], it is very pretty. I may suggest that one to my hubby, but I know that he really likes [name]Rozlynn[/name].

I also wanted (and still would love to name her) [name]Rosaelia[/name] ([name]Ro[/name]-zay-lee-uh), which I think is much prettier than [name]Rozlynn[/name]. But, my hubby said that he didn’t like it as much as [name]Rozlynn[/name], and it was too long of a name (but then he wanted [name]Anastasia[/name] for a bit there - go figure!).

My favourite [name]Rose[/name] form is [name]Rose[/name], then [name]Rosamund[/name] & [name]Rosemary[/name].
[name]Roslyn[/name] is a lot softer spelling wise and would fit better with the softer [name]Alanna[/name] to me or [name]Roslinn[/name]? I don’t know whether playing round with the spelling might make it seem softer.

It sounds like you don’t think [name]Rozlynn[/name] is the best name for your daughter, but your husband does. Maybe it would be best to start anew and find a name that you both absolutely love, without compromising. By the way, [name]Rosaelia[/name] is very pretty when you say it aloud. Is the issue that you want a name with a form of [name]Rose[/name], or did you guys just like [name]Rozlynn[/name]? If you want a form of [name]Rose[/name], I really like [name]Rosaleen[/name], [name]Rosalia[/name], and [name]Rosalind[/name].

If you are open to suggestions, I think that [name]Jacqueline[/name], a French name meaning “supplanter” (what [name]James[/name] means), sounds very pretty with [name]Alanna[/name].

Some other pretty, feminine names that sound lovely with [name]Alanna[/name] are [name]Briony[/name], [name]Carissa[/name], [name]Genevra[/name], [name]Melinda[/name], [name]Samantha[/name], [name]Sariah[/name], and [name]Timea[/name]. Good luck!

I still love the name [name]Rosalind[/name] more than [name]Roslyn[/name] or [name]Rozlynn[/name]. But they all sound very pretty. Also love [name]Rosamond[/name] and [name]Rosemary[/name].
[name]Lemon[/name] has some great ideas of names to go with [name]Alanna[/name]. I love [name]Bryony[/name] the most - spelled that way.

[name]Love[/name] the name [name]Rosalyn[/name] (tell your husband he can’t spell it with a ‘z’, it brings a tick to my eye just thinking about it).

It’s a good name, really beautiful and elegant. Stick with it. If you like it, then that’s what matters. Besides, I think it’s just fortunate you didn’t pick [name]Rosamunde[/name]. People would tell you it looks like [name]Rosa[/name]-mud!

I think it’s a lovely name that grows well. Most importantly though, both of you love it. There’s a reason why this name spoke to you. My husband and I ended up choosing a different name for our daughter after talking to others. There are times still where I wish I had listened to myself. In time, when people think of [name]Roslyn[/name]/[name]Rozlynn[/name], they’ll just think of your beautiful little girl. Your little girl will make the name her own, just like my little one has. Good luck!

I still think [name]Roslyn[/name]/[name]Rozlynn[/name] is gorgeous. I think I mentioned before that it’s one of my best friend’s names, and she has always had lots of compliments on it. She’s very [name]Charlotte[/name] from SatC and it suits her perfectly - I am just so surprised your family don’t find it pretty (for me, any of the [name]Rose[/name] names are pretty and feminine), but I do think they’re being very harsh. I would never make fun of a name someone loved for their child - after all, it’s your choice and if you love the name that’s all that matters. I also think [name]Shay[/name] works beautifully as an alternative to [name]James[/name].

I am just wondering if your family just prefer more familiar names. I wouldn’t say [name]Alanna[/name] is dated (I like it a lot, actually) but it did start to get more popular after the 1970s, whereas [name]Roslyn[/name] had the opposite trend. So it may just be that it’s a name that they’ve encountered before. It’s amazing how people’s perceptions about names and sounds change, but mostly we resist what we don’t know and then suddenly we get used to it. I think, if this is the name that got you and your husband excited about it, then use it. Your friends and family will get used to it, and may even come to love it.

I went to college with a [name]Roslyn[/name] who went by [name]Ros[/name] (said like [name]Roz[/name]). This relatively unusual name (these days anyway) suited her outgoing personality very well. Her nn sounded perfectly grown up and just as suitable for professional life as standard nn’s like [name]Rick[/name], [name]Bill[/name], [name]Ben[/name], etc. (sorry to use boy examples, no girl ones came directly to mind).

[name]Hope[/name] you get your spelling!

I love the name [name]Roslyn[/name], said [name]Roz[/name] lyn, I do hope you don’t use the z when spelling the name.

I think [name]Roslyn[/name] (with an s, not a z) is very pretty, and am sorry your family is giving you a hard time. I’ll admit that I’m not a fan of the [name]Roz[/name] nickname (especially with the softer [name]Alanna[/name]), but I don’t share your family’s feelings about [name]Roslyn[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Roslyn[/name] is beautiful, and if you and your husband like it, then don’t feel pressured into changing it. I think it is perfectly pretty enough to sit next to [name]Alanna[/name] - after all, what is more beautiful than a rose?

Have you perhaps considered [name]Rosalie[/name] as a compromise? It is quite traditional, but with a modern feel due to the -lee ending that I imagine would satisfy your family, and might be seen as more feminine …

Good luck!

I think [name]Roslyn[/name] is a great name…very pretty but spirited and interesting too. I would avoid the “z” version though, [name]Roslyn[/name] is already a name not used much and spelling it with a “z” seems too “yooneek” to me. I like your choice, good luck persuading your hubby!

Thank you everyone.
[name]Lemon[/name] - I do really like the name, though I would much rather prefer [name]Rosaelia[/name]. But my husband doesn’t like that one, so [name]Rozlynn[/name]/[name]Roslyn[/name] is the next in line. It is a name we were both excited about. He still is, but I’m just becoming uncertain since so many famiy and friends don’t like it. We weren’t specifically looking for a [name]Rose[/name] name - he had just asked about it, and I delivered a bunch of [name]Rose[/name] variations. That’s how [name]Roslyn[/name] came about. But I wrote them all on paper for him. I put [name]Roslyn[/name] like this [name]Roslyn[/name]/ [name]Rozlin[/name]. The Z is what caught his eye. If I didn’t do that, I don’t think that he would have even thought twice about the name. Oh, and if we use [name]Jacqueline[/name], it’ll be as a mn - that is his grandmother’s name.

Hubby’s not the type that cares about keeping a name a classic. If he wants a spelling a certain way, then that’s the way he’s gonna have it. So I’m trying to get him to see that the S spelling is more feminine, but he doesn’t see it that way. Men can be so difficult!!!

Well, if you love it too, go for it! I would tell your husband that you cannot live with the name spelled with a Z, and it is either [name]Rosalyn[/name] or a new name! [name]Rosalia[/name]/[name]Rosaelia[/name] [name]Jacqueline[/name] would be a beautiful alternative! Good luck!

Lol - lemon! That’s a good idea, I just hope it doesn’t backfire! He just might say, “well, then looks like she’s not going to be named [name]Rozlynn[/name] after all b/c I want the Z spelling”! I can totally see him saying that, but I will definitely give it a try. I still am going to secretly hold out for [name]Rosaelia[/name]… popping it in his head every once in a while. There’s still time, but not too much time - only 7 weeks!

Lol - lemon! That’s a good idea, I just hope it doesn’t backfire! He just might say, “well, then looks like she’s not going to be named [name]Rozlynn[/name] after all b/c I want the Z spelling”! I can totally see him saying that, but I will definitely give it a try. I still am going to secretly hold out for [name]Rosaelia[/name]… popping it in his head every once in a while. There’s still time, but not too much time - only 7 weeks![/quote]

[name]True[/name], but if my husband said that, I’d say it’s either a middle name or nothing at all with that spelling. After all, for me, I’d be the one saying the name most often with her at home, so I couldn’t deal with a name and spelling I didn’t love. Fight for [name]Rosaelia[/name] (also a beautiful middle name!) or the spelling you love of [name]Rosalyn[/name]. People will learn to pronounce your daughter’s name correctly the more they hear you say it. [name]Trust[/name] me… :slight_smile: