New Name Data! What do you think?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone! And happy Data [name_u]Day[/name_u]!

The top baby names of 2022 have been released and we want to know your thoughts! Is your favorite name on the rise? Falling? Which names are you surprised to see in the Top 1000?

Let us know!

17 Likes

I’m mostly surprised by how unpopular some names are compared to others. For example, there were more Royaltys being born in 2022 than Lyras.

6 Likes

Luna made it to the top 10 :smiling_face_with_tear: on the other side lucky for me my #1 boy Osiris literally dropped almost 40 ranks and in total 70 ranks since when it first started ranking in 2020 so that’s exciting to see

Upset that [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is now # 84 but oh well, I still love it. Lol

2 Likes

Carla jumping up 203 spots to be one of the fastest rising girl names is so random to me. Does anyone have a pop culture explanation?

I’m also surprised by the large jumps from Isabela, Alisson, Mikaela, Briana, Lisa, Brittany, Keyla, Mikayla, and Alexia for girls - these all kind of seem slightly dated and had declining trajectories.

On the boys side, seeing Ryatt as one of the fastest rising names makes me feel (don’t click if you like this name lol) nauseated, like that is such an abomination of a name I’m so sorry. I feel like most of the fastest rising boys’ names are on trend, though.

Casey rising significantly for both sexes is interesting.

7 Likes

Trying to figure out this one as well!

I’m proud of myself because I totally called that [name_f]Luna[/name_f] would make the Top 10 and [name_u]Harper[/name_u] wouldn’t. Though I also thought [name_f]Mia[/name_f] might not make it this year in favor of [name_f]Mila[/name_f] or [name_f]Camila[/name_f], so I wasn’t totally right, lol.

There are a lot of names I expected would be rising that instead fell this year – vintage names that fit with the trends, are already popular in the UK, and/or have famous influences like [name_f]Luella[/name_f], [name_u]Franklin[/name_u], [name_u]George[/name_u], [name_u]Simone[/name_u], [name_f]Diana[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_m]Harrison[/name_m], and [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] all dropped in the rankings (though some just by a few places) when I thought they would steadily keep going up.

I’m also so happy to see that [name_u]Riley[/name_u] for a boy jumped 21 spots – I was worried it was becoming less and less unisex in people’s minds.

6 Likes

[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] actually falling a little bit is shocking to me. I thought for sure it would be one of the biggest increases.

7 Likes

I called [name_f]Luna[/name_f] replacing [name_u]Harper[/name_u] as well! (Pats us on the back) though I didn’t do so well with the rest of the Top 10. I was right to leave [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_u]Liam[/name_u] at #1, but I thought there would be a little more shuffling in the ranks–I thought [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] would rise, and I predicted [name_u]Levi[/name_u] would replace [name_m]Lucas[/name_m].
Otherwise not too much jumps out at me–my current frontrunners for another baby didn’t make the Top 1000 :smile:
I did notice [name_f]Carla[/name_f] as well! How interesting.

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] only real surprise for the fastest rising names was [name_f]Georgina[/name_f]! Not that it increased in usage, but 432 spots?! Curious if there’s any pop culture explanation or maybe just a fluke.

Been waiting for [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] and [name_f]Elowyn[/name_f] to make the top 1000 for a few years – they got there, finally!

Also interesting to me that [name_u]Kace[/name_u] and [name_u]Kacey[/name_u] were fast fallers but [name_u]Kayce[/name_u] (which is pronounced like [name_u]Casey[/name_u] on Yellowstone, right?) rose dramatically. Maybe parents who would have otherwise used the [name_u]Kace[/name_u] or [name_u]Kacey[/name_u] spellings opted otherwise? But [name_u]Casey[/name_u] increased? Hmm…

4 Likes

Taking a look at the beyond the top 1000 data, the female name Villanelle has officially entered the charts with 5 girls bestowed this name in 2022.

My favorite girl name, Maryelle, also popped back up with 5 girls in 2022!

3 Likes

I suppose Carla from Elite has a hand in its sudden spike in popularity.

Athena rose 20 spots to take the 78th spot, which is deeply saddening :sob:

Also, didn’t we let go of Nevaeh in 2018? Surprisingly, it’s #98 on the list. I am pleasantly surprised to see Lilith (#270). I didn’t think it would rank within the Top 500. Philip (#494) and Frederick (#474) shouldn’t have been that low, atleast in comparison to Legend (#132) or Kash (#243). Pedro jumped 14 spots to have the 415th spot, which I think could partially be attributed to Pedro Pascal’s popularity.

[details=“Names That Surprised Me”]
Legacy (#484)
Itzel (#495)
Haisley (#471)
Leonidas (#422)
Apollo (#388)
Sage (#391)
Onyx (#355)
Hector (#354)
Odin (#330)
Ophelia (#272)
Cash (#263)
Adonis (#224)
Jesus (#165)

Some surprised me in a pleasant way, others in a more what-is-going-on way. I only read the Top 500 data as of now. I did not mention names with creative spellings though, I must confess I cannot believe how many of them are there!

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites to enter the top 1000: [name_m]Cedric[/name_m], [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalina[/name_f]
[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites to leave the top 1000: [name_m]Dimitri[/name_m], [name_f]Tatiana[/name_f], [name_u]Clare[/name_u]

I’m a little surprised that [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] have dropped. Maybe the [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women craze calming down has contributed to Louisa’s drop? IDK, both seem pretty popular to me.

For boys, [name_u]Rudy[/name_u] (one of my personal favorites), dropped 30 places.

The top 10 is unremarkable, so I won’t comment. (I don’t hate the names or anything, it just seems like not much has changed).

Besides [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_u]Rudy[/name_u], all the names on my shortlist have stayed put in the lists. I really just look at those, as well as the names that leave or enter the 1000.

1 Like

I’m intrigued by [name_f]Sarahi[/name_f] gaining popularity. I think it’s a more phonetic spelling of Spanish pronunciation of [name_f]Sarai[/name_f] :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So intrigued by this!

My main surprise was that Khaleesi is still somehow on the rise?! Still :melting_face::rofl:

2 Likes

Also, some interesting ones with only 5 babies:

Action, [name_m]Adolphus[/name_m] (yikes!), [name_m]Albion[/name_m], [name_f]Alchemy[/name_f], Arkham, [name_u]Auberon[/name_u], [name_m]Axiom[/name_m], [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m], [name_m]Brynjar[/name_m], Carbon, [name_m]Currency[/name_m], [name_m]Damascus[/name_m], [name_m]Elouan[/name_m], [name_u]Everly[/name_u], [name_u]Fern[/name_u], [name_m]Florin[/name_m], [name_m]Handsome[/name_m], [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m], Imperial, [name_m]Jago[/name_m], Jehovah, Kuyper, [name_u]Lightning[/name_u], [name_m]Ludovic[/name_m], Magnum, [name_u]Midnight[/name_u], [name_m]Money[/name_m], [name_m]Montague[/name_m], [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m], Mosaic, [name_m]Philemon[/name_m], Phorever, [name_u]Pilot[/name_u], Reacher, [name_m]Ruckus[/name_m], [name_m]Striker[/name_m], [name_m]Superior[/name_m], [name_m]Vandal[/name_m], [name_u]Yale[/name_u], [name_u]Yarrow[/name_u], [name_m]Young[/name_m], [name_m]Zillion[/name_m]

[name_f]Agathe[/name_f], [name_f]Alouette[/name_f], Amilliona, [name_f]Anoushka[/name_f], [name_f]Apricity[/name_f] (Berries, reveal yourselves!), [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f], Bellissima, [name_u]Brilliant[/name_u], [name_f]Calais[/name_f], Cambridge, [name_f]Ceres[/name_f], [name_f]Cleodora[/name_f], [name_u]Cloud[/name_u], [name_f]Colibri[/name_f], [name_m]Coyote[/name_m], [name_u]Delight[/name_u], [name_f]Dulcie[/name_f], [name_f]Eclipsa[/name_f], [name_f]Ffion[/name_f], [name_f]Galadriel[/name_f], Gifty, Harbour (mostly for the spelling), Ismary, [name_f]Jolly[/name_f], [name_f]Joyous[/name_f], [name_u]Julep[/name_u], [name_u]Kindred[/name_u], [name_u]Laurence[/name_u], [name_f]Lieselotte[/name_f], Lumiere, Lunar, Mattel, [name_u]Minnow[/name_u], Moonlight, [name_f]Morningstar[/name_f], Normandy, [name_f]Opaline[/name_f], [name_m]Pagan[/name_m], Plumeria, [name_f]Pocahontas[/name_f], [name_u]Polaris[/name_u], Prophecy, Seattle, Seoul, [name_f]Sigrun[/name_f], [name_u]Skylark[/name_u], [name_f]Sorcha[/name_f], [name_f]Sundae[/name_f], Velour, [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f], [name_f]Xaviera[/name_f]

The fact that there was an equal number of children named [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m] & Money…what?! :exploding_head:

17 Likes

I love [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m], [name_u]Auberon[/name_u], [name_m]Florin[/name_m], [name_f]Alouette[/name_f], [name_f]Ceres[/name_f], [name_f]Cleodora[/name_f], [name_u]Minnow[/name_u], [name_u]Skylark[/name_u], and [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]!

Phorever, on the other hand… :laughing:

4 Likes

I think the shift toward the traditional spelling of [name_u]Zoe[/name_u] is interesting! [name_u]Zoe[/name_u] has overtaken [name_f]Zoey[/name_f] as the most popular form, although they are both in the Top 50.

(Last 3 years of data)

[name_u]Zoe[/name_u] - #40, 42, 38 - rising
[name_f]Zoey[/name_f] - #32, 38, 45 - falling
[name_f]Zoie[/name_f] - #961, 986, out of 1000 - falling

Has anyone seen this shift toward traditional spellings with any other names?

1 Like

There are lots of alternative spellings once you get down to the bottom of the list, but this one really stood out to me for whatever reason. And for 5 people to choose that spelling! Just, wow!

1 Like

i’m a little sad eloise is now in the top 100, but that won’t stop me from (hopefully) using it someday.
as popular as it is, i’ve never met one, although i think i remember a former high school teacher saying they named their daughter eloise (who would be about 3–5 now).

i was also surprised to see beckett, bo, and marigold’s new ranks.

i misread this as “alimonia” :sweat_smile:

1 Like